Puppies

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Start it off in stages, start by going upstairs and having a shower etc and giving him access to one place alone downstairs ie living room, restrict him to this room only as allowing him too much freedom is asking for trouble, start small and work your way up. It does depend on the dogs maturity and breed too.

Best advice i can give anyone is make sure you feed your dog the best you can afford. Honestly when it comes to animal nutrition you do pay for what you get, you dont have to feed raw but a good quality kibble. Please dont be temped by the fancy packaging you see in vets with gold writing, its usually full of tit fillers and animal derivatives
Yessssss to the bottom bit. Often good quality kibble can be cheaper than poorer quality food.

We raw feed, we havent always but the difference in my dogs when we made the switch was unbelievable and we were feeding a very high quality kibble at the time so not like we went from rubbish to raw.

Their concentration is so much better. My vet is quite good on the raw front as we feed a high quality complete but I know some vets have concerns about DIY raw as you do need to know what youre doing to ensure your dog gets the required nutrients.

Reactions: 1
I currently feed mine on ‘specially designed’ kibble from tails.com and then one tin of wet Cesar a day. She’s really not interested in the kibble (although will eat it) but absolutely obsessed with wet.

Finn had his first walk today after his vaccinations and felt great to be able to finally get him out as he’s growing so fast and has so much energy. Didn’t actually make it too far as he loved just sniffing everything and taking in his new surroundings. Didn’t meet any dogs but saw a couple of workmen as we’re on a new development and just loves meeting people! Did have the zoomies though when we got back and now currently sleeping 😄

Reactions: 2
my girl still hasn’t had her first season 🙃 she’s 8 months and frankly I’m sick of looking for the symptoms 🤣🤣 just want her spade and have it all over with.

All those with puppies, remember to start as soon as you can exposing them to different situations. Fireworks on tv, learning them to toilet on different surfaces, meeting people in high vis clothing, meeting people at night etc. It pays off when they are older

I teach my dog to be socially ignorant but thats my own preference, i dont want my dog to approach strangers or other dogs even though hes perfectly friendly.

Mine is a cockapoo and been recommended 10 weeks so 3 months sounds about right.

She was absolutely fine during and after her season, watch out for the blood but she was very calm and she hasn’t changed a lot, just a lot more chilled but that could also be down to her growing up. Her privates did swell up massively, to the point that she looked like a male pup. But got through it, and over Christmas as well!
---

my girl still hasn’t had her first season 🙃 she’s 8 months and frankly I’m sick of looking for the symptoms 🤣🤣 just want her spade and have it all over with.
I was constantly looking for symptoms, literally the slightest change in behaviour and I thought it was coming. But seriously, you’ll know when it happens. 😂

How long after a dogs first season should they be spayed?
Speak to your vets. There is no blanket straight answer*, it should depend on their breed and behaviour. There are many reasons to neuter, but equally many not to.

As a loose rule my practice (I'm a vet nurse) says after 1yo for many dogs and +3 months post season for a witch, but we also have a handout that explains there's a lot to consider.
Personally my witch is still entire and is 2yo. She is reactive and neutering her is not in her best interests.

*ETA and I think any vets who are saying neuter at X age regardless of breed need to update their guidelines. It's a bit of an old-fashioned view!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Speak to your vets. There is no blanket straight answer*, it should depend on their breed and behaviour. There are many reasons to neuter, but equally many not to.

As a loose rule my practice (I'm a vet nurse) says after 1yo for many dogs and +3 months post season for a witch, but we also have a handout that explains there's a lot to consider.
Personally my witch is still entire and is 2yo. She is reactive and neutering her is not in her best interests.

*ETA and I think any vets who are saying neuter at X age regardless of breed need to update their guidelines. It's a bit of an old-fashioned view!
Agreed. Our vets will only consider neutering when a dog is fully grown (which is obviously different for all dogs) and even then its not a blanket every dog should be neutered approach which is v old fashioned.

All of my male dogs have been kept intact. I do not plan on neutering them.

9 months and keeping us busy! 😆❤
Oh she is beautiful 😍 those ears!

At training yesterday there was a 15 week old cocker and he was beautiful and so well behaved. I started taking my boy at 12.5 weeks and he’s now 24 (I have to work it out these days when it comes to weeks!)

His off lead walking and recall is excellent and the last two weeks we’ve done a decent walk with him staying off the lead pretty much the whole time, avoiding distractions of bikes, kids and other dogs (although he’ll stop to say hello).

We now need to focus on his loose lead walking. He likes to have his nose to the ground, typical springer! I’m seeing small changes, although he’s also developed a fear of vehicles and traffic too 😩 so doing some desensitisation there.

I’m really enjoying this age though and it’s a relief that the sharp biting and chewing is basically over! 😅

Reactions: 3
Oh she is beautiful 😍 those ears!

At training yesterday there was a 15 week old cocker and he was beautiful and so well behaved. I started taking my boy at 12.5 weeks and he’s now 24 (I have to work it out these days when it comes to weeks!)

His off lead walking and recall is excellent and the last two weeks we’ve done a decent walk with him staying off the lead pretty much the whole time, avoiding distractions of bikes, kids and other dogs (although he’ll stop to say hello).

We now need to focus on his loose lead walking. He likes to have his nose to the ground, typical springer! I’m seeing small changes, although he’s also developed a fear of vehicles and traffic too 😩 so doing some desensitisation there.

I’m really enjoying this age though and it’s a relief that the sharp biting and chewing is basically over! 😅

Definitely feeling the loose lead walking to 😂🫣 we had to get a trainer in who knows our other trainer who we see for classes just to steer is back on track and think it's definitely getting better! So there is hope! But definitely a typical spaniel with nose to the floor and having a good time 😂😂

We don't really let her off either, she's on a long line as her recall isn't that great but we have got a whistle so we can try and build her up to that!

For anyone whose puppies are teething can recommend ostrich bones. They are expensive (around £15) but suitable for puppies over 12 weeks, are pretty big and don’t smell. Seems to really help when he’s sore and stops him trying to chew the furniture 😂

Does anyone elses pup just LOVE socks? :LOL: I swear he has some sort of sixth sense, he just knows when you're about to take off or put on some socks. He could be asleep in another room and as soon as I've got a sock out he's there thinking it's a game of tug of war :ROFLMAO: when I'm emptying the washing machine he's there, waiting to pounce on any socks I might drop :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 4
Does anyone elses pup just LOVE socks? :LOL: I swear he has some sort of sixth sense, he just knows when you're about to take off or put on some socks. He could be asleep in another room and as soon as I've got a sock out he's there thinking it's a game of tug of war :ROFLMAO: when I'm emptying the washing machine he's there, waiting to pounce on any socks I might drop :ROFLMAO:
Yes!! Exactly the same 🤣 holes in all our socks 🤣

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.