Puppies

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
When they cry during the night, best thing i was taught was to let them out of the crate, into the garden, no eye contact or play, let them do their business then straight back into the crate, do not talk to them. So they know if they cry during the night the only reason they are let out is to toilet and not play.

In regards to seperation anxiety, im a believer in they arent born with, its brought on stronger with the owner although i do agree some breeds are prone more, this isnt a pop at anyone on here as i dont know anyone but all you have to do is look on social media and you see these “fur babies” cuddled up to their owners when they are making a brew treating them like babies, basically telling the dog, dont worry, no matter where i go you can come with me. Then they are paying £90 an hour for a dog behaviorist because they cant even go to the hairdressers without the dog shaking in fear

Reactions: 4
Oh absolutely dogs need to be treated like animals not human babies however taking any mammal away from its main caregiver at 8 weeks old or equivalent and expecting them to be just be ok with being left is naive.

You foster that independence by creating a secure dog. It doesnt mean babying them. You need strict boundaries however your pup is looking to you for guidance and reassurance and not giving that as a pup or dealing with it properly can then result in a dog with SA. It needs to be built up slowly and consistently.

Also people in my experience do not research dog breeds properly before getting a dog (not indicating anyone on this thread btw) but take cocker spaniels, they are not a dog for someone whos out of the home 8 hours per day 5 days per week. Theyre needy dogs, they always have been. A good breeder will tell you this before you consider it. People get working collies and are frustrated they are unruly but they are dogs with a herding compulsion built into them, they need a job. They need a lot of exercise.

Poodle crosses, people expecting a lovely little cute dog, when poodles were originally bred as hunting dogs.

You will get out of your dog what you put in but it is hard hard work. When I got my first dog I was absolutely so out of my depth it was unbelievable. I had no idea how difficult it would be and I think its because I dont actually know that many good dog owners. 🙈

Reactions: 6
Fully agree caffeine, Ive got a working spaniel myself and research training methods with it etc and they arent for the feint hearted, in an inexperienced owners hands they will quite literally cause major problems. Golden retrievers are incredible family dogs, anyone wont go far wrong with one of them

Reactions: 2
Fully agree caffeine, Ive got a working spaniel myself and research training methods with it etc and they arent for the feint hearted, in an inexperienced owners hands they will quite literally cause major problems. Golden retrievers are incredible family dogs, anyone wont go far wrong with one of them
I’ve met quite a few nervous/aggressive golden retrievers obviously depends on the dog/owner but definitely can go wrong

Yes definitely, alot of it depends on breeding too. People just throw any witch to any stud these days for money and dont give dam about temperament/improving the breed

Reactions: 3
I see so many people on social media who get puppies and I immediately think “there is no way you should have a dog”.

It’s the done thing nowadays for everyone to want and get a puppy but in actual fact I think very few people are prepared and willing to work at it and therefore we have a generation of dogs who are badly behaved, with no recall, social skills or obedience. We also have a generation of owners who believe they’re perfect and they want to spoil dogs like they’re children which only fuels the fire.

It’s not going to rectify until people realise dogs are for life not instagram.

*want to specify this is a generalisation and 100% not directed at anyone on here at all, you all seem like wonderful owners who adore your pups and just want to do your best by them, this is about the majority of people nowadays who get a pup for the attention*

Reactions: 5
I've applied to adopt a retriever puppy from a local rescue. I'm nervous though! How did you all approach sleeping at night with your puppies? I don’t mind having them upstairs with me but I don't know how to go about it.
We have a golden retriever who is 10 weeks old and she has been really good at night sleeping alone in her crate. She cried a bit the first night and we just came downstairs and talked to her and she settled back down and went back to sleep, or if it was a more frantic cry we let her out to the garden, you could really tell when she needed to go to the toilet. We had a couple of accidents in the first few nights but generally we would wake up hear her cry and come down and let her out if needs be. She stopped with the crying for attention during the night by like the third night, and so only would cry out when she needed to go. For the past few nights she has only needed to go out once, and that has been getting later so the last couple of nights she is going from 11-5 fine. The key thing is making sure that she is playing enough during the day and going out to the toilet frequently during the evening (even when she is dozing, we wake her up and then encourage her to go out to the garden) and it has made such a difference. If we could just stretch it to 6am that would be great, and I think we will get there in a couple of weeks. The breeder recommended this - Amazon product and our pup loves it, would highly recommend. Good luck!

Not a pup but I’ve brought my rescue girl home. I’ve slept the last two nights on the kitchen floor and hurt my neck 💔 I really want to persevere because I think she’ll crack it quite quickly from being in kennels but I am not having fun haha.
I’ve cracked, she’s now sleeping on the floor next to my bed 🤡 I’m hoping if I don’t let her on the bed or give her something soft to sleep on she’ll maybe choose to go back downstairs 🥴

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Anyone else’s pups teething just now. Got a teething ring I can freeze and some frozen cucumbers and carrots but would welcome other suggestions. He’s a little terror when he gets bitey but hate seeing him in pain as he’s so sweet and loving the rest of the time

Anyone else’s pups teething just now. Got a teething ring I can freeze and some frozen cucumbers and carrots but would welcome other suggestions. He’s a little terror when he gets bitey but hate seeing him in pain as he’s so sweet and loving the rest of the time
Milo is lab/cocker so chewing is their favourite thing anyway! But he’s obviously teething too. I find when he gets too nippy he’s ‘bitey tired’ and needs a nap more than anything else

I find when he gets too nippy he’s ‘bitey tired’ and needs a nap more than anything else
Our retriever pup is exactly the same! She'll be trying to bite but also yawning which is pretty funny to watch.

How is everyone getting on with their new bundles of joy 😂. I’m absolutely shattered, my boy isn’t too bad during the day but becomes a little terror in the evening, so bitey but so sweet and cuddly the rest of the time. Still another couple of weeks in puppy jail before he’s fully vaccinated and can get him out and about and enrol for puppy classes. Definitely getting cabin fever at the moment

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Oh I feel your pain, ours generally snoozes a lot in the evening but when she isn't she can be so annoying as she's just over-tired and wants to play but just bites you. I think being able to take her out for walks has really helped with that because she is so tired now in the evenings so hang in there! Have you got a class booked? We start one on Saturday and I'm very excited, hopefully she picks things up quite well as our training at home has had very mixed results.

How are night times going? We shut her in her crate at 11 after her last trip out to the garden, but she's consistently waking us up around midnight to go again, but then sleeps through until 6 so I'm really hoping that the midnight trip ends soon. It's just a number 1 so I've heard that we are heading in the right direction, but it's so tiring being up with her at midnight and then up again at 6 (and she's ready to play at 6!). She's only 13 weeks so we're not too worried, but it would be lovely if she just let us sleep a bit more 🙈

I have a couple of places identified for classes but don’t know yet if I need to wait a week or 2 after 2nd vaccination before he can go out. He goes next Thursday so as soon as I have that will get him booked in. At night he sometimes struggles to settle but when he does he sleeps through the night until about 7am when he goes out to toilet. He has a crate in the kitchen which he loves during the day for snoozing but still haven’t mastered leaving the door closed for any period of time so he’s still sleeping with us upstairs at night 🙈.

I'd definitely ask the vets advice, I'd read 2 weeks but the vet said as long as it was at least 10 days it should be fine (so we split the difference at 12 days as that fell on the weekend).

Maybe once he's more tired at night he might settle better and be happier to sleep downstairs? You can but hope right! We haven't really left ours much during the day, but are starting to and she doesn't seem too bothered as long as she's got something to entertain her with. She's fine at night though which I'm so grateful for, I like having upstairs a dog free zone.

Our springer is 5 months next week and he’s definitely more chilled now.

On a normal day he’ll tend to have a 20 minute walk after tea and then usually sleeps on and off most of the evening then. Since it’s gotten colder, I’ve taken him during the day instead. At night when we go to bed, we tell him “bedtime” and he just takes himself off to his crate 🥲

I’m trying to leave him a little longer at a time now so have bought a pet cam so I can see how he gets on. He’s still only in his crate, so no free roaming when we’re out yet. So far he’s been left a couple of hours so I’m trying to extend on that.

What does everyone else do with their puppies when leaving them?

• Heart
If theyre crated I probably wouldnt leave any more than a few hours, particularly if theyre crated through the night.

Sounds like he is doing amazing if hes settled when you go out, especially at 5 months. Pet cams are so good, I wouldnt be without ours.

We crate too when out because I dread to think what would happen otherwise but as my dogs get older they do get free roam of downstairs when we go out but only when Im sure they wont chew things/cause chaos. Definitely not before 'adulthood'

• Heart
If theyre crated I probably wouldnt leave any more than a few hours, particularly if theyre crated through the night.

Sounds like he is doing amazing if hes settled when you go out, especially at 5 months. Pet cams are so good, I wouldnt be without ours.

We crate too when out because I dread to think what would happen otherwise but as my dogs get older they do get free roam of downstairs when we go out but only when Im sure they wont chew things/cause chaos. Definitely not before 'adulthood'
Agreed, I don’t like the thought of him being in his crate for too long. I think if I can get to 3/4 hours it just gives us a little more leeway with things, although this is just on rare occasions and wouldn’t be a regular thing. I’m trying to leave him in the kitchen for a few minutes at a time too whilst I’m elsewhere in the house, just to test the waters. Baby Puppy steps though!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.