Puppies

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
He’s insanely clever and already sitting, fetching and paw when asked. Crate training is going ok apart from the poo at 4am in there this morning- he has not went out at 3! He then slept till 8 thought so can forgive his little face. He’s a bit bouncy for my boys atm and the cats don’t like him lol. OH isn’t well (we’ve all got this cough/cold) but so far not too overwhelming.

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 11
He’s insanely clever and already sitting, fetching and paw when asked. Crate training is going ok apart from the poo at 4am in there this morning- he has not went out at 3! He then slept till 8 thought so can forgive his little face. He’s a bit bouncy for my boys atm and the cats don’t like him lol. OH isn’t well (we’ve all got this cough/cold) but so far not too overwhelming.
He's adorable. Good luck with the cats 🤣 our puppy is 7 months old and we're finally at a stage where they can all be in the same room. I'm currently working on the sofa with a puppy on one side and a cat on the other.

Lots of treats and fuss for your kitties and they will come around 😊

Also don't be put off if you have a day/week where you feel like you've made the worst mistake ever. They do calm down and they do stop biting and they make the most loving pets.

Reactions: 4
Those of you who leave your pups while you are at work, what do you leave behind to keep them entertained in your absence? Do you have any amazing puzzle toys you’d recommend?

I’m going to go ahead with adopting an older rescue dog. They assure me she’ll be happy left at home on the days I go into the office, with a dog walker visiting half way through the day to break her day up but I want to get her some enrichment too 🥰

Reactions: 2
Those of you who leave your pups while you are at work, what do you leave behind to keep them entertained in your absence? Do you have any amazing puzzle toys you’d recommend?

I’m going to go ahead with adopting an older rescue dog. They assure me she’ll be happy left at home on the days I go into the office, with a dog walker visiting half way through the day to break her day up but I want to get her some enrichment too 🥰
I leave dog tv on on YouTube. Sends them straight to sleep after a nice morning walk. I have two pugs though, so they have each other and they’re lazy lol

Reactions: 1

I always make sure I give my pup a good walk in the morning before I leave to tire him out. We tried snuffle mats with him but he wasn't really interested. Now we alternate between these two treat dispensing/puzzle toys and he loves them. We do have a puppycam to keep an eye on him as well but generally he's good as gold when we go to work now. (I'd be lying if I said it was easy from the start though, for a good few months whilst he was getting used to being left we'd come home to find beds chewed to shreds, our woodwork chewed etc etc. It took a lot of perseverance!)

1671612179423.png

Licky mats with peanut butter (dog friendly butter only) or natural yoghurt, or frozen kongs also worked as good distractions for us.

Attachments

• Heart
We WFH however will use licky mats, frozen kongs etc if I have a meeting and dont want disturbed.

The most important thing is building up the time slowly so get a pet cam and leave for 5 / 10 minutes, increase this gradually until you reach your desired length of time. Im sure the rescue will have told you the 3-3-3 rule. Get a good walk in before work, lots of sniff work, this will actually tire your dog out more than walking miles so even if you only have 30 minutes before work youd be better covering less distance but allowing your dog to sniff for those 30 minutes.

Dont make a fuss when you return. I am so guilty of this as I'm as excited to see them but you want to make you returning a non event. Another thing Ive been taught is you want to do the triggers over and over so put your coat on, lift your keys but dont actually go anywhere. Open the door. Open the gate. Put your shoes on etc. To desensitise the dog to you leaving.

Attachments

• Heart
Thank you!

I’m able to WFH two days a week which I should be able to flex where necessary. But will always aim to get a good 30-40 minutes in before work regardless. Noted on building the time up, I’ve got two weeks to settle her in before I have to leave so will be working on that slowly after her initial three days. Good tip on making it a non event, I can see me being guilty there too 😂

Hopefully she’ll be happy and it’ll be better than a kennel 🥹

I’ve just ordered a puppy cam but I’m dreading seeing her get up to mischief at a time when I can’t pop back to see her 🫣 I do have people closeby who I can call on as well as a dog walker so fingers crossed… she’s lived in a home before but not for a few months.

I always make sure I give my pup a good walk in the morning before I leave to tire him out. We tried snuffle mats with him but he wasn't really interested. Now we alternate between these two treat dispensing/puzzle toys and he loves them. We do have a puppycam to keep an eye on him as well but generally he's good as gold when we go to work now. (I'd be lying if I said it was easy from the start though, for a good few months whilst he was getting used to being left we'd come home to find beds chewed to shreds, our woodwork chewed etc etc. It took a lot of perseverance!)

View attachment 1822281

Licky mats with peanut butter (dog friendly butter only) or natural yoghurt, or frozen kongs also worked as good distractions for us.
Amazing! Do you have any links or brand suggestions for these? My puppy is very good driven. And what / how do you freeze a kong?Thank you!!

Amazing! Do you have any links or brand suggestions for these? My puppy is very good driven. And what / how do you freeze a kong?Thank you!!
We use spready cheese (low fat) and literally just stick it in the freezer. Peanut butter also great, or Kong actually do filling themselves x

Pets at home do a good variety of puzzle toys, treat dispensing toys etc so I’d defo recommend going there. Sign up to their vip scheme as there’s often lots of offers and sometimes freebies too! I got a bag of biscuits, some bone treats and a rawhide free Santa chew all for free the other week!

with the kong we either use dog friendly peanut butter or very low fat cheese, stuff some small treats in too and freeze overnight.

Do you guys recommend the same method when teaching a puppy to be by themselves? Our issue is he's perfectly distracted by the food/enrichment/chews etc. But as soon as he's finished, he barks/wants attention/won't settle. Any ideas would be amazing! He's 7 months and we've only ever been able to leave him for an hour whilst he sleeps before

Do you guys recommend the same method when teaching a puppy to be by themselves? Our issue is he's perfectly distracted by the food/enrichment/chews etc. But as soon as he's finished, he barks/wants attention/won't settle. Any ideas would be amazing! He's 7 months and we've only ever been able to leave him for an hour whilst he sleeps before
Yes same method, if he gets distressed at all I would go back.

You want him to be calm and not distressed as that will only prolong it.

Pets at home do a good variety of puzzle toys, treat dispensing toys etc so I’d defo recommend going there. Sign up to their vip scheme as there’s often lots of offers and sometimes freebies too! I got a bag of biscuits, some bone treats and a rawhide free Santa chew all for free the other week!

with the kong we either use dog friendly peanut butter or very low fat cheese, stuff some small treats in too and freeze overnight.
Thank you!!! And good tip re the freebies :)

I tend to fill the kong and lick mat with either natural yogurt or dog friendly peanut butter. I’ve bought the kong filler a couple of times but it’s pretty pointless and very expensive when you can just get dog peanut butter and yogurts in all supermarkets for a fraction of the price!

Monitor it whilst your home but pretend your out. So lights, tv’s etc off, find a break when he stops barking, then release him from crate(if hes crate trained) going back to a dog whats barking will only encourage it to bark even more (if i bark, they dont come, if i dont bark, they come etc).

My 5 month old pup snatched a brownie out my hand a few days ago 😫 emergency vets, injection to make her sick & £300 later… she’s fine thankfully!! It was dark chocolate which had me panicking! She’s so fast I didn’t even see her coming, acts like she’s not fed 🤣

My 5 month old pup snatched a brownie out my hand a few days ago 😫 emergency vets, injection to make her sick & £300 later… she’s fine thankfully!! It was dark chocolate which had me panicking! She’s so fast I didn’t even see her coming, acts like she’s not fed 🤣
Absolutely happens to the best of us! I’ve had 3 dogs now and my eldest 2 have both eaten lots they shouldn’t have and thankfully nothing ever came of it. I’m certain they find food you don’t even know is in your house! Don’t feel too guilty, they’re sneaky little bastards especially when small x

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.