Puppies

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hope everyone’s little ones behaved themselves today 🤣 our girl was an angel but a tad overwhelmed I think, she regressed a bit with toilet training etc but I don’t think that’s her fault.

I’m made up with how well our springer has done over Christmas. He’s four months today, was so well behaved on Christmas Day and was happy just chewing paper and his new toys.

Then last night there were 12 of us at ours sleeping and he was amazing. I was expecting a drink spillage or two but there was nothing! He provided lots of entertainment and cuddles 🥰

Reactions: 1
Ah we really struggled with our 9 month old. Doesn’t help he’s entered his “teenage phase” which is common with the breed to push boundaries etc during this time . we had family come and stay and he wouldn’t relax or calm. He was constantly on the go no matter what we tried and didn’t nap in days or want to leave the guests alone. It was exhausting and embarrassing. I’ve actually cried tonnes over it.

• Sad
Ah we really struggled with our 9 month old. Doesn’t help he’s entered his “teenage phase” which is common with the breed to push boundaries etc during this time . we had family come and stay and he wouldn’t relax or calm. He was constantly on the go no matter what we tried and didn’t nap in days or want to leave the guests alone. It was exhausting and embarrassing. I’ve actually cried tonnes over it.
What breed dog do you have? Mine has been a bit of a pain lately aswell ..He’s got so much energy 😏

My poorly little girl has been so unwell since Christmas Day 😕 had the runs for 48hrs and has been vomiting as well, she’s feeling so sorry for herself. Vets for her tomorrow if it doesn’t get better through the night x

I've applied to adopt a retriever puppy from a local rescue. I'm nervous though! How did you all approach sleeping at night with your puppies? I don’t mind having them upstairs with me but I don't know how to go about it.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Sleep next to your puppy. A crate is a great idea if they will take to it. Not all pups do. This way they can alert you that they need to toilet. Most pups will still need the toilet through the night in the beginning

I’ve had Finn nearly a week and he cried the first night in his pen next to the bed so ended up sleeping in it beside him 😂. He now sleeps on the bed (luckily have a large bed) and he’s really good at waking me when he needs out for the toilet. He hasn’t cried since and definitely think it’s help him bond with us. This is him this morning looking handsome 😍

Attachments

• Heart
I've applied to adopt a retriever puppy from a local rescue. I'm nervous though! How did you all approach sleeping at night with your puppies? I don’t mind having them upstairs with me but I don't know how to go about it.
We had ours in "his room" from the start but had a blow up mattress to sleep next to him until he was able to sleep through. We have two cats who have the bed and would hate him taking that space.

I would certainly try and have him sleep during the day because otherwise they can be an absolute terror 🤣

Not a pup but I’ve brought my rescue girl home. I’ve slept the last two nights on the kitchen floor and hurt my neck 💔 I really want to persevere because I think she’ll crack it quite quickly from being in kennels but I am not having fun haha.

• Heart
Am I just harsh but with our dog we just ignored his cries and he soon settled down. Even when we inherited a dog who was used to sleeping on the bed we did the same and she also didn’t take long to be settled sleeping downstairs. I couldn’t sleep with a dog on the bed so I’m very glad that all the dogs I’ve had (3) settled sleeping downstairs. We used a crate for the two we had since puppies but the inherited dog didn’t have one. My dog now has a crate he loves to sleep in but doesn’t get locked into anymore.

Am I just harsh but with our dog we just ignored his cries and he soon settled down. Even when we inherited a dog who was used to sleeping on the bed we did the same and she also didn’t take long to be settled sleeping downstairs. I couldn’t sleep with a dog on the bed so I’m very glad that all the dogs I’ve had (3) settled sleeping downstairs. We used a crate for the two we had since puppies but the inherited dog didn’t have one. My dog now has a crate he loves to sleep in but doesn’t get locked into anymore.
Think everyone does it differently, we did the same with all 3 of ours. It took longer with the most recent dog but we persevered and she now loves going into her cage and will go there herself when she thinks it’s bedtime. Some people can’t stand the crying but I’m just a heartless cow I think 🤣

It all depends on breed imo. However the dogs I have are prone to seperation anxiety and like children the current advice is not to cry it out.

Any behaviourist or vet I have spoken to tends to agree.

I wouldnt leave my human children to cry it out so wouldnt take a pup from their parent and leave them to it.

However you need to do what suits you, no judgement from me, we all live with our dogs and know what works.

Edit - my dogs sleep independently now and have done from young. They can sleep in our bed if they choose but often dont. So it hasnt impacted us to a point they wont sleep alone in the end :)

2nd edit - puppies will often still need to toilet through the night particularly if theyre a smaller breed so without having them close theyd be no way of them alerting to us they need out. All of my pups have been reliably toilet trained within 3 to 4 weeks of coming into our house and not needed to go out overnight by about 12 weeks old. We are a no puppy pad, ALL toileting outdoors household.

Reactions: 4
It all depends on breed imo. However the dogs I have are prone to seperation anxiety and like children the current advice is not to cry it out.

Any behaviourist or vet I have spoken to tends to agree.

I wouldnt leave my human children to cry it out so wouldnt take a pup from their parent and leave them to it.

However you need to do what suits you, no judgement from me, we all live with our dogs and know what works.

Edit - my dogs sleep independently now and have done from young. They can sleep in our bed if they choose but often dont. So it hasnt impacted us to a point they wont sleep alone in the end :)

2nd edit - puppies will often still need to toilet through the night particularly if theyre a smaller breed so without having them close theyd be no way of them alerting to us they need out. All of my pups have been reliably toilet trained within 3 to 4 weeks of coming into our house and not needed to go out overnight by about 12 weeks old. We are a no puppy pad, ALL toileting outdoors household.
Agree about the puppy pads, feel it encourages them to toilet in the house. Our boy gets taken out into the garden to toilet after sleeping, eating or playing and now knows to ask to go out. We still have a few pees indoors but he’s only 9 weeks and been here 6 days and hasn’t had a poo inside in 3 days.

Agree about the puppy pads, feel it encourages them to toilet in the house. Our boy gets taken out into the garden to toilet after sleeping, eating or playing and now knows to ask to go out. We still have a few pees indoors but he’s only 9 weeks and been here 6 days and hasn’t had a poo inside in 3 days.
We got rid of the pads because she was just eating them and thinking they were toys. I honestly think they’re a sham, they don’t need them to learn and it encourages them to go outside to wee/poo. It sped up her training no end.

Im not saying they dont have their place but anyone I know who has used them has found toilet training more lengthy. We take our pups outside for every toilet including through the night.

By about 10 weeks 2 of my dogs were sleeping all night, the other was a bugger and took until about 14 weeks to not need the toilet through the night and it wasnt pleasant. It was winter and freezing and horrible but it was worth it in the end.

Its hard work to be so intensive with toilet training but I promise you will reap the rewards very soon!

I’m definitely seeing the rewards already, he’s usually wanted out twice overnight and last night got it down to one. Luckily I’m quite a light sleeper and he’ll come up and lick me to say he wants out. He’s still not quite managing the stairs yet so carry him down to back door, quick pee outside then back to bed. He’s doing so well for only a week!

@Former_Antelopee it’s not that I don’t want to leave her cry (she’s been alone in a kennel for 6 months, I suspect I’d be better leaving her to settle herself rather than getting used to me coming) but I’m end of terrace and I don’t want to disturb my neighbour. The first night she made it 3 hours before barking and last night 4 so I’m hoping she’ll build it up. Both nights I’ve walked in the room, set a bed up on the other side and told her to go to her bed away from me with no fuss or reassurance. Both times she’s slept in her bed quietly until I’ve invited her to come to me at 8am 🥹 so I’m trying to be as harsh as I can without annoying next door.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I’ve had Finn nearly a week and he cried the first night in his pen next to the bed so ended up sleeping in it beside him 😂. He now sleeps on the bed (luckily have a large bed) and he’s really good at waking me when he needs out for the toilet. He hasn’t cried since and definitely think it’s help him bond with us. This is him this morning looking handsome 😍
He is sooo cute!!!

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.