Puppies

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anybody have any tips for barking please?

My dogs barking has increasingly got worse over the last couple of months. He barks as soon as I open the back door to let him out in the garden, he'll run down the path barking and then bark for a few seconds at the back gate. We believe it's because he's previously seen a cat in the garden so he's barking almost as like a warning sign, but it's so annoying and no doubt my neighbours have noticed. It makes me nervous to let him out first thing in the morning or before we go to bed at night! I resorted to taking him out on a lead the other day!

He also barks at us if he wants to play - I do play with him a lot whilst I am at home but sometimes it's just not possible to play all the time! He will bring a toy over and if we don't pick it up, or we say no, he'll just sit and periodically bark at us. :LOL:

Any tips would be gratefully appreciated. A friend suggested one of those vibrating collars but I don't know that I'm comfortable using something like that and I'd rather train it out of him myself!
I’ve read that dogs bark either out of boredom, for attention, or for territorial reasons, so it’s important to determine why they are barking before figuring out how to stop it.
Our dog only seems to bark a lot to protect his territory e.g in the back garden at the neighbours, out of the window at passers by. We bought some cheap dog whistles from Amazon, they don’t stop him barking altogether but as soon as he hears the whistle he usually stops and comes to us

Reactions: 1
Any tips of cat/dog bonding? I’m still trying to keep them separate (cat upstairs, dog downstairs) but on the occasion that the dog manages to get upstairs, and always taking a toy up for our cat, which I think is the cutest but the cat isn’t impressed. Should I just let nature take its cause and hopefully they’ll become more comfortable with each other?
Do you reward them when they're in the same room together? We rewarded our boy for looking at the cats and then looking away. He now knows he cannot stare at them or bark at them (he still does it sometimes but he is only 4 months old so can't expect miracles yet!)

Cats get given their favourite treat when they're around puppy so they know it's a positive experience for them.

This morning though, one of our cats walked past his room and he just sat, looked at her and then went back to his toy.

We also always have him on a lead around them just in case he tries to chase/play with them. Trying to preempt it rather than deal with the consequences.

One of our cats does just stay out of puppies way unless he chooses to come down and see him. He does sleep by the puppy's bedroom door though 🙄🤣

Has anyone had any experience with kennel cough?? As if my poor boy hadn't been through enough today (he has a swollen eye from banging his head!), he now seems to be starting with kennel cough. He's hacking a lot and wheezing every so often. I feel awful as we had him out in the cold this morning and I think that's started it off! I'm calling the vets first thing tomorrow morning to get him seen but does anyone have any home remedies that will help?

He's had honey this evening and that seems to have soothed him a little. But I think it's going to be a very restless night! We're worried about our cats getting it now as it seems it can cross between both species!

Has anyone had any experience with kennel cough?? As if my poor boy hadn't been through enough today (he has a swollen eye from banging his head!), he now seems to be starting with kennel cough. He's hacking a lot and wheezing every so often. I feel awful as we had him out in the cold this morning and I think that's started it off! I'm calling the vets first thing tomorrow morning to get him seen but does anyone have any home remedies that will help?

He's had honey this evening and that seems to have soothed him a little. But I think it's going to be a very restless night! We're worried about our cats getting it now as it seems it can cross between both species!
Sorry if this is a bit late I just saw this post.

Our puppy caught kennel cough last month when he was just 5 months old. The first 24 hours were pretty tough he was just sort of hacking and wheezing constantly and started bringing up sort of clear/white foam (sorry it TMI!). We took him to the vet and they gave us medicine. I can't remember the names now but there was 1 to help stop/clear the infection and 1 which was kind of like cough drops to sooth the coughing. The first 24 hours were pretty tough and none of us got much sleep but after that he started to improve quite quickly.

In terms of home remedies, we didn't try this but I read suggestions of running a hot bath/shower to get the room kind of steamy and then sitting with your dog in bathroom for a bit.

One of the worst things we found was when he fully recovered after a few days but we had to keep him inside for another 10 days or so because of the risk of him infecting any other dogs. We live in a highly populated area with lots of dogs and no private outdoor space and our vet told us we had to quarantine him.

I hope your pup is already starting to feel a bit better.

Sorry if this is a bit late I just saw this post.

Our puppy caught kennel cough last month when he was just 5 months old. The first 24 hours were pretty tough he was just sort of hacking and wheezing constantly and started bringing up sort of clear/white foam (sorry it TMI!). We took him to the vet and they gave us medicine. I can't remember the names now but there was 1 to help stop/clear the infection and 1 which was kind of like cough drops to sooth the coughing. The first 24 hours were pretty tough and none of us got much sleep but after that he started to improve quite quickly.

In terms of home remedies, we didn't try this but I read suggestions of running a hot bath/shower to get the room kind of steamy and then sitting with your dog in bathroom for a bit.

One of the worst things we found was when he fully recovered after a few days but we had to keep him inside for another 10 days or so because of the risk of him infecting any other dogs. We live in a highly populated area with lots of dogs and no private outdoor space and our vet told us we had to quarantine him.

I hope your pup is already starting to feel a bit better.
Thank you! Yes we're doing the shower steam right now as we speak!

Last night was very rough. He was hacking and coughing up all kinds of food and chews that he had eaten recently. And then followed the white foam after the sick. We took him to the emergency vet and they didn't give him anything, just said we needed to ride it out which was frustrating. Especially he had just pretty much vomited his entire day's worth of treats and chews.

We've given him honey and chicken broth today and he seems to be much better. Weirdly he hasn't coughed at all today which does make me wonder if it isn't even kennel cough?!?!

He's been his usual self today with eating and drinking and he's so desperate to go on a walk. It's been bedrest all day so I feel we're going to have an eventful night 🤣

I'm having a day where I am severely mourning mine and the cats freedom haha. I miss days where we could just put the fire on and snuggle up together.

I know it'll pass but I'm feeling very miserable about having a puppy today 😔

Reactions: 4
Oh gosh, I feel for you - I feel the same often :(
It's awful isn't it? I don't bring it up to my partner cos I don't want him to think I'm saying we need to get rid of the puppy but he takes up so much time.

I just miss it being the 4 of us. I know it'll pass but I feel very sad today.

Reactions: 4
It will get easier - hold on in there.

My pup is obsessed with the cat and always wants to play (she even brings him toys) my cat varies from complete indifference to hissing/swiping.

Having said that, my cat is now living his best life with the whole of the upstairs to himself, meals brought to him in the bedroom and a VIP exit into the garden via the upstairs bathroom window.

Does anyone have any tips on how to improve the relationship between cat/dog? I’m longing for the day we can all be sat on the sofa together.

Hello! Just after some advice! We put our pup down for bed at ten and she used to go straight through til 6/6.30 but now is starting to wake at 5/5.30. we can't have her upstairs with us in her crate at the moment as we don't want her up and down the stairs. We thought it might be the paper as that comes early. We've had foxes recently but not heard them for a few days. Kinda stumped as to why she's waking up early nothings changed in routine, she's not a huge fan of her crate (doesn't want to miss out on anything!) As she won't go in on her own accord. 🤦But will sleep there when we put her in. We might try putting in an old shirt and see if that helps and get in touch with our trainer in case we are doing something wrong but other not sure what to do! Forgot to add she's coming up to 6 months 😊

Hello! Just after some advice! We put our pup down for bed at ten and she used to go straight through til 6/6.30 but now is starting to wake at 5/5.30. we can't have her upstairs with us in her crate at the moment as we don't want her up and down the stairs. We thought it might be the paper as that comes early. We've had foxes recently but not heard them for a few days. Kinda stumped as to why she's waking up early nothings changed in routine, she's not a huge fan of her crate (doesn't want to miss out on anything!) As she won't go in on her own accord. 🤦But will sleep there when we put her in. We might try putting in an old shirt and see if that helps and get in touch with our trainer in case we are doing something wrong but other not sure what to do! Forgot to add she's coming up to 6 months 😊
We went through a similar thing with our puppy recently. He used to sleep till around 6.30/7 then all of a sudden started waking up and whimpering/barking to be let out at 5.30am. Strangely also when he was around 5 months - so not sure if it's just a phase some of them go through.

Our puppy sleeps in his crate in the room next door but we leave the doors open so I started shouting through to him - too early, back to sleep. I did that every morning saying the exact same words and it was like over time he kind of somehow learned what I was telling him. At first it would only get us another 5/10mins before he kicked off again but over a couple of weeks he would pipe down give us peace for another hour or so.

He's now just 7 months and he doesn't make a peep until 7/8am when I let him out for his walk!

Good luck! All puppies go through ups and downs but you'll get there :)

• Heart
Reactions: 2
What is everyone planning for Bonfire night? We've got the pup and two cats. The cats have never really been fussed about Bonfire night and will happily sit and watch the fireworks but with a pup I'm not so sure.

We're thinking about going to my parents in the country but then I'll feel guilty about leaving the cats alone 🤣

Please tell me it gets easier!

We have a 9 week old cockapoo and I really underestimated what getting a puppy would be like. There has been tears, lots of tears. I have a toddler and the puppy is harder than the toddler. I question every day if I’ve done the right thing - people say it gets easier and dogs are much better but I’m struggling to use that motivation right now when all I have is a yappy puppy who bites me constantly.

Any advice tattlers?
How’s ur cockapoo doing now? I hope it’s got better for you

What is everyone planning for Bonfire night? We've got the pup and two cats. The cats have never really been fussed about Bonfire night and will happily sit and watch the fireworks but with a pup I'm not so sure.

We're thinking about going to my parents in the country but then I'll feel guilty about leaving the cats alone 🤣
Tbh, I'd stay at home, try to keep him distracted, put the volume up on TV or radio, try not to see you worrying about it, easier said than done I know, but I've never had an issue with fireworks with any of my dogs, but thunder used to really bother my old boy!

Oud puppy is back in a biting phase. He is not agressive but Does it for attention or when he i jealouse

Hi does anyone have experience with cherry eye? Currently giving our puppy drops and he’s had a referral but not been told anything else

We have had a huge breakthrough on the puppy/cat front.

Yesterday evening, we had puppy and both cats asleep in the same room!! ❤❤

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I completely forgot about bonfire night and the weeks that follow where there will be loads of fireworks. My old girl was never bothered by thunder nor fireworks in fact one of my favourite memories with her was when we were out walking one evening across the trails like we always did. We came across a massive firework display. I assume for a wedding or something. We sat at the top of a hill and watched it together. She honestly loved watching them, she was fascinated. Man she was my best friend. I don’t have that bond with pup yet but I hope it’ll come. I know I’ve completely gone off at a tangent but my irl friends dont get it and don’t wanna hear my stories about her because to them she was “just a dog”

• Heart
I know some of you know about me having to re-home a pup which broke my heart, an opportunity has come up for a 12 month, it's close to me so I'm taking my other dog to meet her dreckly to see how it goes!!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.