Puppies

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi I just found this thread and your original post. 6 months on how’s it going?
I’ve got a toddler and am considering a puppy but have been scared off by many re how hard it is 😂😂
I would seriously wait until your child is quite a bit older. Pups are usually very hard work plus they go through a very mouthy phase while they are teething and can really hurt. I honestly thought I’d got a psycho pup mine was so bitey. Now he’s angelic!

Reactions: 2
Hi I just found this thread and your original post. 6 months on how’s it going?
I’ve got a toddler and am considering a puppy but have been scared off by many re how hard it is 😂😂

I cant add much more to the person above. I brought a puppy home to 2 kids (8 months and 5 years) and then again 5 years later.

Much much easier 2nd time around with older children.

Its not to say it cant be done but its extra stress imo.

Leave it a few years would be my advice.

Not sure if anyone is interested but we have progressed with puppy and cats! (The other one is there, you just can't see her!)

We're trying to reward him every time he doesn't bark or lunge forward. There is the occasional pull or bark but he's come on so much from just yesterday! They've been walking around that window all morning and he's only occasionally stood up and stared a bit.

Still not ready to have them in the same room for the cats sake but there is huge progress.
Ah please keep me/us posted. I’ve been navigating the dog/cat situation for the past 7 months (!). Cat still very much stays upstairs (without a VIP exit out the bathroom window and breakfast in bed) and we try to keep the dog downstairs although he thinks managing to get upstairs is the funnest game ever!

It’s quite sad because I know our pup just wants to play with our cat, she’s very gentle and gets quite upset when the cat hisses or meows at her (and gives her the off swipe). I am noticing it changing in that our pup is much calmer when the cat does appear and the cat tends to tolerate her a little bit more!

Keep going, looks like you’re doing a great job

I would seriously wait until your child is quite a bit older. Pups are usually very hard work plus they go through a very mouthy phase while they are teething and can really hurt. I honestly thought I’d got a psycho pup mine was so bitey. Now he’s angelic!
I cant add much more to the person above. I brought a puppy home to 2 kids (8 months and 5 years) and then again 5 years later.

Much much easier 2nd time around with older children.

Its not to say it cant be done but its extra stress imo.

Leave it a few years would be my advice.
Thank you both (hope I’ve managed to quote you both) I think you’re totally right and confirmed what I knew deep down!!

Ah please keep me/us posted. I’ve been navigating the dog/cat situation for the past 7 months (!). Cat still very much stays upstairs (without a VIP exit out the bathroom window and breakfast in bed) and we try to keep the dog downstairs although he thinks managing to get upstairs is the funnest game ever!

It’s quite sad because I know our pup just wants to play with our cat, she’s very gentle and gets quite upset when the cat hisses or meows at her (and gives her the off swipe). I am noticing it changing in that our pup is much calmer when the cat does appear and the cat tends to tolerate her a little bit more!

Keep going, looks like you’re doing a great job
Tbh it seems to be the opposite for us! I think if he didn't bark at them or growl, they wouldn't be fussed at all! The ginger cat sits right outside his room sometimes at night to sleep. Its just about desensitising puppy because otherwise he's going to chase them and we absolutely don't want that! We're aiming for 4 or 5 "meetings" a day to try and calm him down to them. And are letting the cats into his room when he is out and about. I don't want him becoming too territorial about his room.

Does your puppy bark at your cat? Trying to establish if he's trying to play or if he's mad at it/doesn't like them.

• Sad
Reactions: 1
Tbh it seems to be the opposite for us! I think if he didn't bark at them or growl, they wouldn't be fussed at all! The ginger cat sits right outside his room sometimes at night to sleep. Its just about desensitising puppy because otherwise he's going to chase them and we absolutely don't want that! We're aiming for 4 or 5 "meetings" a day to try and calm him down to them. And are letting the cats into his room when he is out and about. I don't want him becoming too territorial about his room.

Does your puppy bark at your cat? Trying to establish if he's trying to play or if he's mad at it/doesn't like them.
Nope never barked at him once, the cat spots her and then runs and our pup chases - again I think it’s just a game to her. She’s super needy and very friendly so she can never quite understand why anyone wouldn’t like her (that’s how I perceive it anyway 😂). Have the cats given your pup a swipe yet? That kind of helped at the beginning because the cat(s) is letting the pup know who is in charge.

Nope never barked at him once, the cat spots her and then runs and our pup chases - again I think it’s just a game to her. She’s super needy and very friendly so she can never quite understand why anyone wouldn’t like her (that’s how I perceive it anyway 😂). Have the cats given your pup a swipe yet? That kind of helped at the beginning because the cat(s) is letting the pup know who is in charge.
No they haven't. They've given him a hiss a couple of times but have never met face to face yet.

He's never seen a cat before living here so I'm hoping it's just a surprise thing and we can get him used to them being around...

Probably the wrong thread to post in, but I know some of you know what happened to puppy :(
I've looked into rehoming an older dog, blimey the forms on line are a nightmare! But anyone can buy a pup🤷‍♀️
Trying to find somewhere where my dog can meet and see how they get on, impossible!! I know dog homes need to check, but blimey, tis a nightmare!

Probably the wrong thread to post in, but I know some of you know what happened to puppy :(
I've looked into rehoming an older dog, blimey the forms on line are a nightmare! But anyone can buy a pup🤷‍♀️
Trying to find somewhere where my dog can meet and see how they get on, impossible!! I know dog homes need to check, but blimey, tis a nightmare!
Makes you know why people buy and not adopt.
Especially when some rescues make you refill them out if you miss out on a dog. I know someone who is looking for a rescue puppy but so many people apply so they always miss out. But have to refill in the whole form when they find another from the rescue that fits what they need.

Especially when some rescues make you refill them out if you miss out on a dog. I know someone who is looking for a rescue puppy but so many people apply so they always miss out. But have to refill in the whole form when they find another from the rescue that fits what they need.
THIS. I'm a renter, and I get rejected for dogs all the time because I don't own, and I don't have a garden, but I live next door to an enclosed garden space.
I tried to adopt 11 dogs over the past four years from different rescues, and all rejected me because of this. Yet last year, when I bought my second dog, I was shamed by everyone for buying another dog to be friends with the dog I already own. One of the people who shamed me worked for my local rescue, and I showed her the emails of my rejected applications from HER shelter.

I know why they want to avoid renters because if a renter moves, they're unlikely going to find another home which will allow them to have a dog, so they end up dumping them. I get it, but there should be more nuance to the application and selection process. For example, I've lived in my home for 13 years now, and I would love only to rescue dogs. I live alone, and my dogs are the only family I have. I have cried over so many dogs I didn't get a chance to adopt, but I get shamed for "not adopting". The system is so whacked.

Reactions: 4
THIS. I'm a renter, and I get rejected for dogs all the time because I don't own, and I don't have a garden, but I live next door to an enclosed garden space.
I tried to adopt 11 dogs over the past four years from different rescues, and all rejected me because of this. Yet last year, when I bought my second dog, I was shamed by everyone for buying another dog to be friends with the dog I already own. One of the people who shamed me worked for my local rescue, and I showed her the emails of my rejected applications from HER shelter.

I know why they want to avoid renters because if a renter moves, they're unlikely going to find another home which will allow them to have a dog, so they end up dumping them. I get it, but there should be more nuance to the application and selection process. For example, I've lived in my home for 13 years now, and I would love only to rescue dogs. I live alone, and my dogs are the only family I have. I have cried over so many dogs I didn't get a chance to adopt, but I get shamed for "not adopting". The system is so whacked.
I think rescue standards for homes are too high. Surely it’s better for that dog to be in a home than in a kennel. I don’t agree with the always adopt anyway, I’ve said before on here it should be adopt or but from a reputable breeder. At the end of the day some people like you try to rescue, cannot but have a perfectly good home for the dog, so go and buy a dog instead. So I guess inadvertently rescues are helping breeders as they their rejections force people to then go and buy from a breeder. Yet they’ll preach not to buy and just to adopt.

Reactions: 5
I think rescue standards for homes are too high. Surely it’s better for that dog to be in a home than in a kennel. I don’t agree with the always adopt anyway, I’ve said before on here it should be adopt or but from a reputable breeder. At the end of the day some people like you try to rescue, cannot but have a perfectly good home for the dog, so go and buy a dog instead. So I guess inadvertently rescues are helping breeders as they their rejections force people to then go and buy from a breeder. Yet they’ll preach not to buy and just to adopt.
Agree! Luckily my family could adopt two dogs without having a garden. But after that Its was way harder to adopt because we didnt have a garden. However We walk our dog a min of 4 times a day and I know of people who just dump their dog in the garden and dont walk them.

Reactions: 3
Really? First time I've filled a form on line, it was a nightmare tbh! Spoke to someone on the phone and said can I bring my dog to meet and greet, nope had to fill out pages of questions!!

Really? First time I've filled a form on line, it was a nightmare tbh! Spoke to someone on the phone and said can I bring my dog to meet and greet, nope had to fill out pages of questions!!
The rescue shes looking at makes them fill out forms for each dogs. I’m sure not all do though.

Gosh puppies are a roller coaster of emotions aren't they?!?! Had what felt like the roughest day yesterday. He wouldn't nap, wouldn't do anything other than want to bite! He ended up sleeping 10 hours overnight and is on his 1st nap of the morning already. It feels like it should be midday not 9:15 🤣🤣

I still have days where I struggle but I think we're getting there. We can't leave him alone too long but he is progressing with that too. And we had an incidental cat/dog meeting in the kitchen this morning and there was no barking or hissing from either party! So that's a huge relief!

• Heart
any tips on how to stop the puppy biting? We believe its teething/frustration as we know she gets crazy in the evening (puppy witching hour!) but as shes getting her adult teeth they are really starting to hurt. weve been doing all the things, getting up/moving(shell follow and grab/bite clothing)/giving her puppy toys/games etc but then soon as shes done that its back on us. she gets garden play and such too and walks (only 20 minutes as shes 4 months) but this is the worst shes been since we got her mind june. shes not over tired, we arent saying 'bite me' ,shes been to toilets ,we dont pet her when shes like this, shes not over excited either (as we had food in a ball before hand that she was quite happily using right before and nice and chill) if we do pop her in her crate for time out wait til she calm, shell get back on it... im trying to think of what else we could do or what it could be. but every site and book is saying the same which weve done to try and prevent it!! we also can sorta see when it starts but it can also just be a switch and we arent prepared!

sorry for the long ramble and any tips would be appreciated!! the culprit in person! English cocker spaniel, a week and 4 months.
FbMGnOTUUAAxxGp.jpg
!

any tips on how to stop the puppy biting? We believe its teething/frustration as we know she gets crazy in the evening (puppy witching hour!) but as shes getting her adult teeth they are really starting to hurt. weve been doing all the things, getting up/moving(shell follow and grab/bite clothing)/giving her puppy toys/games etc but then soon as shes done that its back on us. she gets garden play and such too and walks (only 20 minutes as shes 4 months) but this is the worst shes been since we got her mind june. shes not over tired, we arent saying 'bite me' ,shes been to toilets ,we dont pet her when shes like this, shes not over excited either (as we had food in a ball before hand that she was quite happily using right before and nice and chill) if we do pop her in her crate for time out wait til she calm, shell get back on it... im trying to think of what else we could do or what it could be. but every site and book is saying the same which weve done to try and prevent it!! we also can sorta see when it starts but it can also just be a switch and we arent prepared!

sorry for the long ramble and any tips would be appreciated!! the culprit in person! English cocker spaniel, a week and 4 months. View attachment 1532770!
my pup (cocker spaniel) was exactly the same at that age. I was at my wits end some nights in tears because I just didn’t know what to do. in the end i had to just keep putting him in the crate or behind the stairgate in the other room to calm down. sometimes he would be straight back on it like you say, so straight back behind the gate he would go.

all i can say is that the phase does pass and the pup will grow out of it. i promise, i know its hard, but it will pass

• Heart
Thank you! ❤ We know it'll pass as well but when you are in the moment it doesn't feel that way! 🤣😭What age did your pup stop? We have training classes a week Monday we also do some training ourselves (we went to puppy pre school and got some tips!) We know we aren't alone either but it's so hard! 😫

my pup (cocker spaniel) was exactly the same at that age. I was at my wits end some nights in tears because I just didn’t know what to do. in the end i had to just keep putting him in the crate or behind the stairgate in the other room to calm down. sometimes he would be straight back on it like you say, so straight back behind the gate he would go.

all i can say is that the phase does pass and the pup will grow out of it. i promise, i know its hard, but it will pass

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.