Puppies

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My poor little pup has got diarrhoea 😞 he’s not eaten anything out of the ordinary (that I am aware of!!). I checked my puppy cam about an hour after his last visit today and he was wandering round making whining sounds so I sent my bf to check on him and he’d had really bad diarrhoea right by the back door. He’s still quite playful and wanted to play tug of war when I got home but he’s also quite tired too and gives up playing a lot quicker than he normally would.

I’m so worried about him 😞 my bf says he’s sure he’s fine as he’s not been to the toilet since and he’s had some dinner but I still worry so much. I’m getting so much conflicting advice off of family / the internet about whether to feed him his normal biscuits, feed him chicken and rice or fast him completely it’s hard to know what to do 😞

My poor little pup has got diarrhoea 😞 he’s not eaten anything out of the ordinary (that I am aware of!!). I checked my puppy cam about an hour after his last visit today and he was wandering round making whining sounds so I sent my bf to check on him and he’d had really bad diarrhoea right by the back door. He’s still quite playful and wanted to play tug of war when I got home but he’s also quite tired too and gives up playing a lot quicker than he normally would.

I’m so worried about him 😞 my bf says he’s sure he’s fine as he’s not been to the toilet since and he’s had some dinner but I still worry so much. I’m getting so much conflicting advice off of family / the internet about whether to feed him his normal biscuits, feed him chicken and rice or fast him completely it’s hard to know what to do 😞
A boiled egg 😘 don’t worry they will be ok

Reactions: 1
Today has been a really rough one. Every time we've taken puppy outside and brought him back inside, he's peed on the carpet. My partner is exhausted. I feel guilty because I'm working but then also because I'm trying to keep our cats happy and not feel as though they are second fiddle to a puppy. We also have to keep them out of the way for toilet breaks due to puppy not meeting them face to face yet. Its mentally draining. And I don't think I should be drained as I'm barely doing any of the work.

• Heart
Today has been a really rough one. Every time we've taken puppy outside and brought him back inside, he's peed on the carpet. My partner is exhausted. I feel guilty because I'm working but then also because I'm trying to keep our cats happy and not feel as though they are second fiddle to a puppy. We also have to keep them out of the way for toilet breaks due to puppy not meeting them face to face yet. Its mentally draining. And I don't think I should be drained as I'm barely doing any of the work.
It will get better I promise. If your partner is doing the toilet trips, get them to stay outside with pup no matter how long it takes, do not take them inside until pup has toileted. If hes just gone he is much less likely to come back inside and toilet. Would also recommend puppy bells on the door, they worked wonders here for both dogs.

I actually used an app with my 2nd pup and put everything in it, wees, poos, food. It really helped me quickly establish a pattern and how frequently I needed to take him out.

If he's drinking water ok and hasnt had any more bouts of it I wouldnt worry. If hes still lethargic in the morn then you can get him checked out.

What age is he again?

It will get better I promise. If your partner is doing the toilet trips, get them to stay outside with pup no matter how long it takes, do not take them inside until pup has toileted. If hes just gone he is much less likely to come back inside and toilet. Would also recommend puppy bells on the door, they worked wonders here for both dogs.

I actually used an app with my 2nd pup and put everything in it, wees, poos, food. It really helped me quickly establish a pattern and how frequently I needed to take him out.

If he's drinking water ok and hasnt had any more bouts of it I wouldnt worry. If hes still lethargic in the morn then you can get him checked out.

What age is he again?
Thank you yes he is drinking water.
He’s 7 months!

Thank you yes he is drinking water.
He’s 7 months!
I wouldnt be overly concerned. If hes just a bit sleepy / lethargic it would be expected if hes got an upset stomach. If by morning hes still not improved then get him checked out ❤

• Heart
@WilmaHun its sooo sad when they arent themselves isn’t it 😔 something has likely upset his stomach (happens to my dog all the time whether or not he’s eaten something he shouldn’t have) if he’s drinking/weeing he should be totally fine within the next day or so 😊 if it goes on any longer and you’re still worried then contact the vets 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Honestly the puppy stage is horrific and I don’t know if I could ever go through that again! It does get better as you both get to know each other. You will learn his cues for needing a wee. Stay outside until he goes (he will go eventually) then looooaddssss of praise. After a bit it will take less time for him to go. Good luck, it is sooo hard but worth it in the end

• Heart
Reactions: 2
A much better day today (so far!) We've created a schedule and wrote down everything that puppy is doing and when we should be doing certain things with him. We've also encouraged more naptimes with him to ensure that he isn't getting over tired or over stimulated. I think that is where we went wrong yesterday.
I'm currently sat on the sofa with a sleeping cat next to me, a sleeping cat under the chair in front of me and a puppy who is napping upstairs (not in his crate!!) and a partner who has been able to grab a shower and 10 minutes to himself.

Happy (ier) days!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
That’s brilliant news! How are the cats getting on with the pup? We’re still trying to keep the separate (the cat now has a vip entrance/exit to the garden via the upstairs bathroom window) but Pup is desperate to play with him but he ain’t having none of it.
Any other cat/dog experiences?

That’s brilliant news! How are the cats getting on with the pup? We’re still trying to keep the separate (the cat now has a vip entrance/exit to the garden via the upstairs bathroom window) but Pup is desperate to play with him but he ain’t having none of it.
Any other cat/dog experiences?
Ours are still seperate for now. We're trying to get them used to the sounds and smells before throwing puppy into the mix. Tbh the cats have been brilliant. There's been no hissing or jumping at the noises he makes. They had a rough day yesterday but I was super stressed which I think projected onto the animals.
We're not sure when to start introducing them face to face. We're gonna try feeding them their favourite treat right outside his door to begin with whilst he's calm or asleep. He won't go in his crate at all at the moment so having him in there to meet them is proving very tricky!!

They always manage to keep you on your toes don't they?!?!

Definitely feed as normal. We use to say feed bland food, but it's so devoid of nutrients, that their normal food is much better for the gut to heal xx

• Heart
I don't know if it's any good to anybody but I just found out Tails are running an offer for your first months food for free

Definitely feed as normal. We use to say feed bland food, but it's so devoid of nutrients, that their normal food is much better for the gut to heal xx
Thank you. I did feed him as normal and he's much brighter now :) x

First full week done. And I am super pleased to say it has gotten much easier. Today has been a quiet one as we were out all day at partners families house yesterday and puppy got to interact with another dog. Only one accident so far today as well so fingers crossed it stays that way.
Scent swapping is going well. Cats are not hissing or hiding (other than when we move things!)
Now to decide how and when to do the face to face... we are currently feeding them treats next to his door and giving them lots of fuss for being near/on us when we smell like the puppy.
Having 2 cats with him is far much harder than I anticipated!

Sorry I know this is a puppy thread, but I know some of you have older dogs, and probably older pups now!
Can anyone recommend a good tic collar? I've tried 2 this year ( also have a natural spray) but my boy has had a few, specially around his eyes :confused:

Sorry I know this is a puppy thread, but I know some of you have older dogs, and probably older pups now!
Can anyone recommend a good tic collar? I've tried 2 this year ( also have a natural spray) but my boy has had a few, specially around his eyes :confused:
We always used to use seresto for my old girl. I found it the most effective out of quite a few that we tried.

Not sure if anyone is interested but we have progressed with puppy and cats! (The other one is there, you just can't see her!)

We're trying to reward him every time he doesn't bark or lunge forward. There is the occasional pull or bark but he's come on so much from just yesterday! They've been walking around that window all morning and he's only occasionally stood up and stared a bit.

Still not ready to have them in the same room for the cats sake but there is huge progress.

Attachments

• Heart
Please tell me it gets easier!

We have a 9 week old cockapoo and I really underestimated what getting a puppy would be like. There has been tears, lots of tears. I have a toddler and the puppy is harder than the toddler. I question every day if I’ve done the right thing - people say it gets easier and dogs are much better but I’m struggling to use that motivation right now when all I have is a yappy puppy who bites me constantly.

Any advice tattlers?
Hi I just found this thread and your original post. 6 months on how’s it going?
I’ve got a toddler and am considering a puppy but have been scared off by many re how hard it is 😂😂

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.