Prisoner Pen Pal?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yeah I watched part of the documentary and remember him having a huge following. But then look at Charles Manson, though he started the cult and they did the dirty work, some women and men are attracted to people like that.
It's wrong but it's interesting
I absolutely loathe Charles Manson. I think he was an evil, twisted fucker who preyed on vulnerable, gullible people and got them to do his dirty work for him.

Reactions: 15
I haven’t read the thread but I would be concerned. Yes they may not have committed a murder but you don’t go to prison for the fun of it...... am I missing something. Here?

For the record I’m not trying to cause any harm or concern... I’m just genuinely intrigued.

After reading the posts about jury duty, and volunteering for it... how does one apply for that?
man I a weirdo, I’d love to be called up!

Last edited:
I had a look on the website that was listed and found four profiles in the same state.

Three out of the four men specified they wanted women to contact them (one went as far as saying 'cute girls' and that he's due for release soon). Their crimes included assault and rape. I'm amazed this is allowed to be honest, from a safeguarding perspective, I work with vulnerable people, many of whom have poor boundaries and would be all over this.

• Sad
  • Sick
Reactions: 20
I have found this thread so interesting! This is why I love Tattle. So many different views and ideas.

Reactions: 8
I fell down this rabbit hole as well and blimey... Looking at the bios of some of the lifers, a lot of them say they had tough childhoods, made some wrong decisions, were under the influence etc. They are very convincing but then you google the crimes and they are absolutely horrific. I wish I hadn’t looked.

They seem very eloquent and you’d have no idea how depraved their crimes were reading their bios. Also, many of them ask you to include your address in the letter, can you imagine?! I can really see why people think 99% of them are evil master manipulators.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11
I find this fascinating. Having read some of the profiles on the website, many of them come across as charming in their profiles and then you find out they've committed the most atrocious crimes! 😬

One of my immediate family members was in prison for a few years and I wrote to them regularly. Personally I found it quite draining as I was always concerned about not gloating about how great my life was on the outside and all the fun things I was doing.

Personally I'd be too worried about my safety and privacy to write to someone in this way, and I'd be concerned that there would be an ulterior motive that would surface within a few letters.

Reactions: 3
Hello

Has anyone ever had a pen pal in prison?
I have just written my first letter to someone and want to know if anyone has any experiences to share or any advice on the type of things to write into the letters?

It's something I have always wanted to do so I finally wrote one! I hope to hear back, it's all very interesting to me
Yes, for the last 12 years. One is now out and we talk online and the other is due to be released this year.

Both in the states.

Absolutely nothing remotely romantic or flirty. Never been to visit, never plan to.

Reactions: 2
It's not something I would ever do. Bad people are in prison so I don't have any reason to want to know people who have done awful things. It's like Ian Watkins still getting lots of fan mail it makes me sick.

Just found this thread and I'm genuinely curious as to the reasons people would want prison pen pal, rather than any other person as a pen pal? What is the appeal about writing to a prisoner? Whether they are innocent or guilty, or on a path of rehabilitation, what is the aim in writing to them?

It's worrying to see how many people view this as a 'harmless' thing and view themselves to be well informed through a scan of a profile or a Google search. Do the profiles list personality traits and disorders as well as offending history? You don't know the prisoners intentions and once the communication is there, you can't control the impact that their words, behaviour or offending may have on you.

Do you know whether you're effectively contributing to their sexual fantasy by providing what seems like insignificant details about your life? Some of the comments mention leaving out address or phone number, but innocent details like what you did that day can fuel a sexual sadists fantasy where this would allow them to fantasise about how and when they would/could commit an offence. Providing fully clothed pics instead of nude ones? Well done, now they know what you look like and this can also fuel a desire for sexual violence. Oh but they are serving life in prison? Not to worry, it's just the prison staff and civilian staff that you've now put at risk 😉

Reactions: 1
This thread is so interesting! When I was younger, I was obsessed with reading about prisons in places like Thailand and Indonesia, like Bang Kwang and Kerobokan etc. I used to look up any westerners who were detained there, out of morbid curiosity, and found that they got a lot of people writing to them and sometimes tourists visiting them with care packages etc. I thought about writing to a young English guy banged up in Bangkok for importing drugs because I felt sorry for him, I read he had learning difficulties and got something like 99 year sentence. But decided against it in the end and stopped caring about those prisons. This thread has just reminded me of it now!
Now that I’m older, no chance I’d write to a prisoner. I’d be terrified they’d have my address and come looking for me or something lol. No offense intended to OP or anybody else who does it.

Reactions: 1
A good friend of mine started writing to prisoners in the US when she was 14. Some of them I've never heard of but she has two binders full of letters she's received from Dorothea Puente (killed elderly people for money) Richard Ramirez and one long rambling nonsensical missive from Charles Manson plus a couple of other well-known criminals. She quit writing to prisoners when she had her child a few years ago.

• Wow
Reactions: 8
A good friend of mine started writing to prisoners in the US when she was 14. Some of them I've never heard of but she has two binders full of letters she's received from Dorothea Puente (killed elderly people for money) Richard Ramirez and one long rambling nonsensical missive from Charles Manson plus a couple of other well-known criminals. She quit writing to prisoners when she had her child a few years ago.
You would get people that would pay a lot of money for those letters, especially the Charles Manson one.

You would get people that would pay a lot of money for those letters, especially the Charles Manson one.
That I what I said to her when Manson and Ramirez died but she said she won't sell them as it wasn't her intention to profit from others grief (meaning the victims families).

Reactions: 10