Prince Harry & Meghan Rave thread

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Is it out of order for me to make a comment about the 'humble bragging' that went on earlier in this thread?! lol. The poster was talking about evidence, and then imo contradicted their argument by talking about her own feelings ( her not thinking her in laws were being racist).

Anyway. I dont particularly like the Royal Family, but the obsession some people have with Meghan is scary! I dont blame Harry and Meghan for bleeping off tbh.
I had decided not to comment again, as I do respect that people wanted to maintain this as a support thread, rather than debate the couple or discuss varying opinions. But since this pertains specific to me and to my earlier comments- I am just responding to that and clarifying what I mean. I enjoy reading this thread- most people seem reasonable and I enjoy hearing other people’s perspectives. None of us know the couple, so it can be fun to just talk about things and I am a big fan of using dialogue to affect change. Uncomfortable conversations are important, even if people don’t agree.

I do not mean to appear to be a “humble bragger” or to be annoying- I was just speaking as a woman in a mixed race relationship, who has had her in-laws raise questions about how my babies will look. I also respond as someone who is trained not to accept a fact as a fact, without proof and to look at situations critically.

There was a lot of inconsistencies and downright inaccuracies in that interview that make me question everything they said, especially the comment about Archies skin- because their stories didn’t match at all about it. That combined with the other inaccuracies in the interview leaves the whole issue of “racism” open to scrutiny.

My problem comes with the contention what we must believe Meghan, when her story wasn’t the same as Harry, the only person who was there when it was said. He’s also the person of the royal family who has made the most prolific displays of racism. When people forgave Harry for his blatant displays- context and ignorance was given as an excuse and it’s been accepted. Why can the same not be given in this situation, or at least questioned?

The incident to which they referred occurred at an unclear time- Meghan said the unknown person brought up the skin colour of the baby when she was pregnant and heavily implied that not titling Archie HRH was because of his potential skin colour. Even though most of what she said on this was more “implication” that outright accusations- her story look like she was personalising and sensationalising an issue currently receiving a lot of traction for gain- I only say this because her story doesn’t match the person who heard the comment and his account was far less loaded. Harry said something ambiguous was said before the couple were married and did not say they were referring to Archie. He’s also a white man and with his history I think it’s reasonable to question his interpretation of racism- he also seemed surprised when Oprah said it to him. I don’t think he knew Meghan was going to bring it up. When their stories didn’t match- it made me angry because everything else said- whether true or not, is now open to dispute and that does a disservice to those who promote and advocate for equality.

In *my* experience, when people ask about what my babies will look like- they have literally asked will they get my skin or my husbands arse and freckles. My “evidence” that it’s not meant in a racist way- every other action my in-laws have taken since I’ve been with my husband. Meghan was not in the room and we are relying on Harry’s interpretation of what was said to have been mentioned once. She appeared to be welcomed into the family, was able to pick her charities, Charles walked her down the aisle, etc. I just don’t think she understood the pecking order of the institution the constraints of the role until after the wedding.

I drew parallels to my own experience because context (in my opinion) matters specifically when this type of commentary happens- some people literally want to know what a child will look like. Curiously asking a question isn’t racist- if they said “you do know the baby could be black, maybe think more carefully” would be racist- the context of what was said is crucial.

We live in an era where historically marginalized and oppressed populations are empowered to speak up and have their voices heard. As an ethnic minority woman, who had uni paid for through scholarships and grants- I am so glad to see people who look like me represented and having their lived experiences heard. However, I also feel very strongly that when people accuse people of sexism,
homophobia or racism, without saying what was said or in a way that it can be contested (they never said anyone was “racist” they referenced one specific event that I believe has an important contextual elements) it creates further division. All it takes is one disproven allegation to set back equality movements.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Well they know they have an audience who will eat this up and who will write angry comments everywhere, detailing exactly what a monster Harry is or, alternatively, what a monster Meghan is for being pregnant and trapping poor, innocent Harry, forcing him away from his happy, healthily family that always supported him and his mother :rolleyes:

Reactions: 6
can i just point out, that the “give her enough rope” remark has an incredibly racist connotation given that meghan is mixed race. i understand that you‘re using it as a “she’ll make a fool of herself if we wait” context, which is fair enough, but talking about giving a part black woman ROPE is uncomfortable for me to read and i hope that people will be careful about using it in the future, because on the surface it sounds like a reference to lynching and i know that is not what you mean. i’ve seen more than one reference made to giving her enough rope. some people don’t think there is an issue with meghan‘s race, which is, like, whatever, but knowing that she’s been open about her racist experiences in the uk, i don’t feel right not pointing this out.
can you help me with this because I can’t see anything online to suggest this is in any way racist?

apparently “no can do” “long time no speak” and “chop chop” are now deemed as racist.

but I genuinely don’t see the connection here? Or is this just your personal view? totally ok if it is.

can you help me with this because I can’t see anything online to suggest this is in any way racist?

apparently “no can do” “long time no speak” and “chop chop” are now deemed as racist.

but I genuinely don’t see the connection here? Or is this just your personal view? totally ok if it is.
per the original poster: " talking about giving a part black woman ROPE is uncomfortable for me to read...because on the surface it sounds like a reference to lynching"

no way that we can know what was actually said or the context of the skin color drama which I think leads Sussex supporters and detractors to feel their position is justified. Isn't the actual quote from Markle is "concerns and conversations about how dark his skin might be when he's born" as opposed to a single offhand comment which seems to imply that that the nature of what was said was more than a relative's momentary speculation. No clue if that was truly the case and the comments were cruel/made with poor intentions or the Sussex response is overblown and can exaggerated take to milk controversy or even not meanspirited but nonetheless hurtful because maybe their was already some falling out beforehand.

Reactions: 1

i made it quite clear what the link is between the phrase “giving a black woman a rope to hang herself with“ and racism. i even used to word lynching to make it clearer, so people can educate themselves on why it is racist by looking the term up. also, i don’t know what you mean by “no can do“ etc. so i can’t comment on that, and because of how clear i made my original post, i do feel like you‘re splitting hairs on this argument for the sake of it. please don’t give me a warning for arguing, that is absolutely not what i am doing here. i seem to collect warning points talking about harry and meghan on more than any other topic and i’m actually a bit nervous to post this because i‘m feeling like i’m backchatting a moderator, when i am explaining my point further, as i have been asked to.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I think you’re a bit paranoid.
As I said I put the forum and the Harry/Meghan hate thread on ignore, but didn't you used to post there regularly in support of William and Kate and the rest of the royal family? It's a bit concerning that a mod who does/did that comes in here and demands explanations as to what's racist or not, which is SO much part of the problem.

Anyway, I think the most predictable headline after the funeral will be about how heartbroken and tearful Willy and Kate looked, while Harry was cold and distant. The most fun about this whole thing is how easy it is to know what the media and royal bootlickers will focus on :-D

• Heart
Reactions: 18
i made it quite clear what the link is between the phrase “giving a black woman a rope to hang herself with“ and racism. i even used to word lynching to make it clearer, so people can educate themselves on why it is racist by looking the term up.
It’s not a phrase I would ever have associated with racism but one that I’ll now educate myself on. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. Challenging phrases etc can only be a good thing in the long run. Especially for people like myself who don’t know the origins.

Reactions: 10
Beware though, it's incredibly difficult stuff to read up on. After that you'll probably understand though why it's very upsetting to black people to hear phrases like that used against them. Apart from that, it's just an awful phrase in any case against anyone, and any person who uses that should really take a hard long look at their choices in life, honestly.

Reactions: 9
As I said I put the forum and the Harry/Meghan hate thread on ignore, but didn't you used to post there regularly in support of William and Kate and the rest of the royal family? It's a bit concerning that a mod who does/did that comes in here and demands explanations as to what's racist or not, which is SO much part of the problem.
I'm not a fan of Harry and Meghan by any means.
I also don’t hate anyone who is! I’m not that invested in a family I don’t know but that aside, I saw the comment about the rope, I googled to see if it had racist connotations because it’s something I’ve personally never heard before.
we are encouraged to educate ourselves but when I try to do that I’m shot down.

i asked if it was the users personal feelings on the term or a well known connection, that really has nothing to do with any members of the royal family.

sorry to have upset so many, I made no mention of Harry and Meghan, it really was a genuine question I should never have asked.

(i don’t like William and Kate 😂 I don’t like either couple 😂)

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I'm not a fan of Harry and Meghan by any means.
I also don’t hate anyone who is! I’m not that invested in a family I don’t know but that aside, I saw the comment about the rope, I googled to see if it had racist connotations because it’s something I’ve personally never heard before.
we are encouraged to educate ourselves but when I try to do that I’m shot down.

i asked if it was the users personal feelings on the term or a well known connection, that really has nothing to do with any members of the royal family.

sorry to have upset so many, I made no mention of Harry and Meghan, it really was a genuine question I should never have asked.

(i don’t like William and Kate 😂 I don’t like either couple 😂)
Fair enough, thank you for this :) I just felt that if one of us mortals had gone over to the anti thread with an innocent question like that we would have been reported and warned for riling up the other thread so it felt a bit weird.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Fair enough, thank you for this :) I just felt that if one of us mortals had gone over to the anti thread with an innocent question like that we would have been reported and warned for riling up the other thread so it felt a bit weird.
please don’t drag me into any petty tit between threads.
I asked a genuine question as to how “give someone enough rope....”
(to allow someone to accomplish his or her own downfall by his or her own foolish acts) could be deemed racist.

the replies I’ve received have taken me back if I’m honest, I’m around here a long time and I don’t think I’ve even had such a strong “you’re not welcome here” reply to a question.

I have no idea what the “one of us mortals” means but can we please just leave this here. It’s not what I’m about.

i seem to collect warning points talking about harry and meghan on more than any other topic and i’m actually a bit nervous to post this because i‘m feeling like i’m backchatting a moderator, when i am explaining my point further, as i have been asked to.
just wanted to go back on this because I missed it earlier, I haven’t and wouldn’t give anyone a warning for having a conversation with me no matter how heated it got, please don’t ever feel like that.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
If someone gets warned deleted on a thread and they were disagreeing with a mod it was almost certainly not done by that mod. As was the case here.

The two threads on tattle where mods are most disliked it's probably the two Meghan and Harry ones 😆. It's not a popular or easy job being a mod, but we try our best.

Probably best to get back on topic now, we apply the same rules and wouldn't let the other thread decend into arguments and complaints about this thread either.

• Heart
I do hope that the funeral gives Harry and William a chance to start clearing the air. Sometimes the worst circumstances can bring people together. Plus it would be nice for the brothers to be involved in each other’s lives again.

Reactions: 2
The walk around where you could see Harry and William talking felt a bit staged but it's good to see the press giving positive attention to it and the RF using their PR moment for good in general

Reactions: 2
I got a notification from The Telegraph titled “Duchess of Cambridge acts as peacemaker as Princes Harry and William share private chat”... seems like people are trying to make a story out of anything 🤦‍♀️ Two brothers (who may or may not like each other) walking beside each other making small talk at their grandfather’s funeral? Shocking!

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.