Pregnancy and Corona

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If hes symptomatic and has the virus he will be risking passing it on when he walks in and out of the hospital. He won't be an inpatient so therefore will need to leave at some point. The woman needs to be in hospital to have her baby and will be isolated as necessary. It's a horrible situation and not one we like but we have to protect our staff and other mums and babies as much as we can.
Genuinely curious what happens if you point blank refuse to go into hospital to be induced or if you're not far enough on et.. Not that I ever would but I can imagine some woman would? Are they just allowed to go home even if its advised they stay in?

I can't obviously say about other trusts but where I work if you are not in active labour we recommend going home anyway. You can refuse induction, but just understand why induction is offered and what the pros and cons are, and what other measures can be taken such as daily ctgs or scans etc. Obviously depends on why induction is offered. We cannot do anything without consent and rightly so.

Reactions: 1
I've just spent 4 hours in maternity triage as baby decided to be a diva. Didnt need to wear a mask but they are offered and havent been told to isolate prior to my induction next week. Hubby can come in when I'm moved to labour ward and has to leave if and when I'm moved to antenatal ward. Cant really complain about that. I also think they're being so extra nice (more than usual) as they know it's a pretty rough time to be giving birth.

Reactions: 2
This might sound really stupid but when you are induced before you are moved to the labour ward where are you? Just out there in pain in full view of every other woman on the ward or??? 😂

This might sound really stupid but when you are induced before you are moved to the labour ward where are you? Just out there in pain in full view of every other woman on the ward or??? 😂
On the maternity ward I think? Just a normal ward really. Then you're moved up to labour ward. I've only been induced once and it's been 8 years but I was just in a normal 4 bed ward and when labour was established I went to labour ward and my own room.

Usually in a ward. You have the normal curtains. Sometimes you may get a sideroom

the majority of trusts are following the below guidelines :
One birthing partner, for active labour of once in a birthing room. (Generally 4cm)
The partner can stay for the duration of time in that room. If you need to go to a ward or separate area, the partner will need to leave (this is not the case if you need emergency treatment after birth, in most cases then partner will stay with babe)
C section rules are similar, about an hour in recovery with you after and for the Duration of birth.
No partners at scans or appointments, but this seems to be easing.
the midwives will be able to give your partner an idea of timings for induction progress and section start. So they can decide to wait nearby or return home.
Currently, zero hospitals are saying that you will go through active labour and birth alone. The only chance of this is if your partner is unable to make it in time, which happens without a pandemic

remember, these rules are in place to protect the staff, other inpatients and you. I see a lot of people asking what the difference is if you are from the same household, there might be less risk to you but it’s about protecting everyone. I had my baby on Monday, and am shielding as my daughter has a suppressed immune system, I would have been absolutely terrified had I seen partners and visitors coming and going.

Yeah I was induced on the ward on a bay with 3 other beds and 2 of them had other women in. One was also being induced and the other was in because she was having bleeds and needed to be monitored.

The gel worked very fast on me and I was having very strong contractions very close together right away. It was a bit awkward, I had the curtains closed and I was trying to be quiet because I was conscious of the other women. I also couldn't sit still so I was pacing the length of my bay back and forth. Normally I would have been allowed to walk around the ward and hospital but they were obviously not allowing that.
The other women were just chilling and watching TV, the other women who was being induced hadn't progressed at all and needed a second dose of gel. So I felt like I was being a bit of a drama queen compared to them.

I eventually convinced the midwife to examine me before the 6 hours were up and I was 4cm so could go to labour ward and my husband could come in.
I was so glad to get to labour ward and get on the gas and air. All they could offer on the ward was paracetamol, codeine and a warm bath. All of which did absolutely nothing for me.

I went in at 11am and had blood pressure and baby monitored and the first gel went in at 3.30pm and was examined at 7.30pm and moved to labour ward just after 8pm. Baby arrived 00.44am, back on the ward at 3am and discharged at 2pm.

Reactions: 2
Yeah I was induced on the ward on a bay with 3 other beds and 2 of them had other women in. One was also being induced and the other was in because she was having bleeds and needed to be monitored.

The gel worked very fast on me and I was having very strong contractions very close together right away. It was a bit awkward, I had the curtains closed and I was trying to be quiet because I was conscious of the other women. I also couldn't sit still so I was pacing the length of my bay back and forth. Normally I would have been allowed to wake around the ward and hospital but they were obviously no allowing that.

I eventually convinced the midwife to examine me before the 6 hours were up and I was 3cm so could go to labour ward and my husband could come in.

I went in at 11am and had blood pressure and baby monitored and the first gel went in at 3.30pm and was examined at 7.30pm and moved to labour ward just after 8pm. Baby arrived 00.44am, back on the ward at 3am and discharged at 2pm.
Ahhhh thanks for this. That's what I'm really worried about like being alone and feeling really awkward if I'm in pain. Just sounds awful but at least it was over quite quickly for you!!

Ahhhh thanks for this. That's what I'm really worried about like being alone and feeling really awkward if I'm in pain. Just sounds awful but at least it was over quite quickly for you!!
It wasn't nice but the midwives were amazing.
The worst bit was being dropped off at the door to the ward by my husband. I did have a little cry at the moment and again when I went to the ward after the birth and he had to leave us at the door.

I actually didn't miss my husband being around for the induction. I kept him updated but I was so focused on my contractions I think he'd have just annoyed me and been in the way! It was worse for him being at home alone just waiting and worrying!

I missed him more when I was moved to the ward after and was struggling with breastfeeding and I was in pain and trying to get up and down to see to the baby was hard. Going to the toilet in the middle of the night was awkward, I wheeled the crib into the toilet with me and back again because I didn't want to leave him. Don't know if I was supposed to or if that looked weird but I didn't know what else to do!

Hi, midwife here. You legally have to give your employees 15 weeks before week baby is due so 25 weeks. You dk not have to keep them updated before then, you can legally have time off for antenatal appts if you are working. We cannot provide a matb1 prior to 20 weeks so it is usually done for the 24 week appt. Id advise making a copy if you are able to do so. Both you and your partner will need to take the original in for maternity and paternity leave. This link here tells you about your rights during pregnancy and work.
I haven’t seen my midwife since my booking in appointment. I’m 27 weeks on Sunday so I’m presuming I’ll get an appointment for 28 weeks in the post 🤷🏻‍♀️ This will be the first opportunity to get a Mat1b form
Although think I may call them Monday as it is getting a bit close for receiving an appointment by post

I haven’t seen my midwife since my booking in appointment. I’m 27 weeks on Sunday so I’m presuming I’ll get an appointment for 28 weeks in the post 🤷🏻‍♀️ This will be the first opportunity to get a Mat1b form
Although think I may call them Monday as it is getting a bit close for receiving an appointment by post
I gave my work my matb1 form as soon as I got it from my midwife. Then had to chase them for my SMP1 form as I'm not eligible for SMP. Waiting on my maternity allowance claim to be sorted and my maternity is due to start on Monday. Nightmare.

Just to let everyone know my waters broke at 37 weeks and baby was born at 37+1. Really positive birth experience. Horrible being in hospital until your partner is allowed on the labour ward although it happened farely quickly for me. (within 2 hours) and being alone on the ward afterwards with no visitors is difficult. Good luck to you all!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Just to let everyone know my waters broke at 37 weeks and baby was born at 37+1. Really positive birth experience. Horrible being in hospital until your partner is allowed on the labour ward although it happened farely quickly for me. (within 2 hours) and being alone on the ward afterwards with no visitors is difficult. Good luck to you all!
Congratulations 🥰❤❤❤❤

• Heart
Congratulations!! I'm being induced tomorrow morning x

I had my 12 week scan today and other than having to attend alone and putting on a mask as soon as I got there, it wasn’t too different to the experiences that I had with my first 2. Surely things can only get better?

Hi all! I'm 8 weeks pregnant and have got my booking appointment with the midwife on Monday but it's over the phone; has this happened to anyone else? I hate talking on the phone! and IIRC, with my first baby I had blood work done and a urine sample during the booking app so I don't understand how this one is going to work!

Our hospital announced a couple of weeks ago that you are allowed to take someone with you to your scans now. We had a private early scan two weeks ago and my husband was allowed to attend; we were advised to wear a mask.

Hi all! I'm 8 weeks pregnant and have got my booking appointment with the midwife on Monday but it's over the phone; has this happened to anyone else? I hate talking on the phone! and IIRC, with my first baby I had blood work done and a urine sample during the booking app so I don't understand how this one is going to work!

Our hospital announced a couple of weeks ago that you are allowed to take someone with you to your scans now. We had a private early scan two weeks ago and my husband was allowed to attend; we were advised to wear a mask.
I had my booking appointment over the phone! Was my first one so wasn’t sure what to expect anyway but it was fine! Then I had a midwife appointment 5 days later in person for blood tests urine etc

Good news about hospital mine are still only letting just you attend the scan unfortunately 😒

I had my 12 week scan yesterday and that’s when they were giving you your formal notes including those from the telephone booking appointment and also doing bloods/urine sample. I actually got to see a midwife for my booking appointment though so it didn’t apply to me. I wasnt allowed to take my husband for the scan though:(