Positive covid antibody test

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My partner had one come back positive (NHS staff). We were both sick in early March before the lockdown. It doesn't offer me as much relief as I thought it would because we don't know how long it'll last for. I guess it's good to know that we did have it and not just flu.

I got randomly selected and was sent the antibody test through the post. However it was negative. But I was expecting it to be. I'm not a front line worker or anything.

However my brother in law has done the test and his was positive for antibodies but his husband (my brother) was negative. He is pretty sure he's had it and he's a nurse on the front line. Well they both are. So either the test wasn't accurate. As I'm not sure how two people living together and both being nurses, one got it and one didn't??

Reactions: 1
I got randomly selected and was sent the antibody test through the post. However it was negative. But I was expecting it to be. I'm not a front line worker or anything.

However my brother in law has done the test and his was positive for antibodies but his husband (my brother) was negative. He is pretty sure he's had it and he's a nurse on the front line. Well they both are. So either the test wasn't accurate. As I'm not sure how two people living together and both being nurses, one got it and one didn't??
Not everybody develops antibodies. They say around 10-12% of people do actually develop some form. It’s consistent with the picture that came out of my trust as well

People who think they had it in November or December - I’m pretty sure you can’t have had it then. There was a nasty flu virus doing the rounds but Covid was not in the U.K. then. If you look at the death statistics chart for the U.K. for 2019 and 2020 (all deaths, not just Covid deaths), it clearly shows that deaths were following the normal curve right up until
March when they rapidly went sky high. In fact, they were slightly below the curve which shows that there were less deaths than average. If Covid had been here before the end of January other than the odd isolated case, there would have been a massive spike of deaths showing in January of February but there isn’t even a tiny rise before March.

I think we forget how bad flu can be. I was horribly ill with a high temperature, shortness of breath, awful cough and feeling dreadful - classic Covid symptoms...but it was in 2018 so Covid didn’t even exist then.

Reactions: 4
People who think they had it in November or December - I’m pretty sure you can’t have had it then. There was a nasty flu virus doing the rounds but Covid was not in the U.K. then. If you look at the death statistics chart for the U.K. for 2019 and 2020 (all deaths, not just Covid deaths), it clearly shows that deaths were following the normal curve right up until
March when they rapidly went sky high. In fact, they were slightly below the curve which shows that there were less deaths than average. If Covid had been here before the end of January other than the odd isolated case, there would have been a massive spike of deaths showing in January of February but there isn’t even a tiny rise before March.

I think we forget how bad flu can be. I was horribly ill with a high temperature, shortness of breath, awful cough and feeling dreadful - classic Covid symptoms...but it was in 2018 so Covid didn’t even exist then.
Glad someone said it! The flu is really common, even if you have had the flu jab (20-50% protection rate) everyone’s so desperate to say they’ve had coronavirus

Reactions: 3

I beg to disagree on this one purely because there was a lot of international students flew back into student accommodation December and January with some coming from wuhan with what looked like a serious of bad flu that pretty much put the whole accommodation block into bed for two weeks and also from my point of view working as a nurse there was a lot of what doctors thought was bad flu coming through the door that weren’t responding to the typical treatment which looking back now they think covid was here well before it officially got picked up

My Trust starts next week. Any colleague is eligible, the testing will be done at local acute hospital settings. I work for a community trust, which don‘t tend to have labs, so that’s why we have to visit acute sites. Not gonna lie I’ll be disappointed if it comes back negative. I haven’t had any symptoms other than being tired, but I’ve been tired since this all kicked off! 🥱😴

It's highly unlikely they'll ever know
either way unless swabs were taken and can be tested for covid-19 retrospectively, like they did in France and found covid 19 in a sample from December.
Not everyone with covid19 of flu die ,so that's why there is no increase in death rate. A funeral director told me in February they'd had a lot of deaths from pneumonia .
I remember having flu (was it swine flu then?) early 2010 and it was awful but different symptoms to what I had in January. It wasn't the fever and fatigue that made me suspect Covid-19, it was the unusual symptoms like weird dry sensation in my throat, bloody scabs in my nose and complete lack of runny nose.
Surely any seasonal flu virus would still be lingering in the community in match ,this year it disappeared and was all put down to Covid-19 by then.

Not everybody develops antibodies. They say around 10-12% of people do actually develop some form. It’s consistent with the picture that came out of my trust as well
I read that ,the longer ago your exposure, the less likely the test could pick up antibodies.

Glad someone said it! The flu is really common, even if you have had the flu jab (20-50% protection rate) everyone’s so desperate to say they’ve had coronavirus
This is true, and the flu is awful - it does annoy me when people go into work and they’re like “I’ve got the flu” - you wouldn’t be standing up. That’s another point - I really hope this will have a better effect on taking sick days, stop going into work spreading your germs to everyone 😂

It's highly unlikely they'll ever know
either way unless swabs were taken and can be tested for covid-19 retrospectively, like they did in France and found covid 19 in a sample from December.
Not everyone with covid19 of flu die ,so that's why there is no increase in death rate. A funeral director told me in February they'd had a lot of deaths from pneumonia .
I remember having flu (was it swine flu then?) early 2010 and it was awful but different symptoms to what I had in January. It wasn't the fever and fatigue that made me suspect Covid-19, it was the unusual symptoms like weird dry sensation in my throat, bloody scabs in my nose and complete lack of runny nose.
Surely any seasonal flu virus would still be lingering in the community in match ,this year it disappeared and was all put down to Covid-19 by then.

I read that ,the longer ago your exposure, the less likely the test could pick up antibodies.
You can’t argue with the facts in this graph which was created on 24th April. The coloured line is all U.K. deaths in 2020 - not just Covid deaths - deaths by any cause. You can clearly see that we entered 2020 with the usual relatively small peak of deaths that occurs in January (due to flu, pneumonia and other viruses that are around at that time of year) - nothing unusual about that. Then the death rate dropped below average because the flu season was slightly milder than usual. The deaths then rapidly spike out of nowhere in mid March. The people who died in mid March from Covid would have got sick towards the end of January at the absolute earliest - mid February is more likely. If Covid had been in our community before then, the death spike would have happened earlier or at least been a more gradual rise. Think about people’s behaviour around Christmas - there is a lot of visiting relatives and there are parties too - it would have spread like wildfire, especially amongst the elderly during Christmas visits. This would have shown in the death rate as although most people don’t die from it, a lot of people do, especially elderly people.

that’s not to say that there couldn’t have been the odd isolated case - there is potential for that, but pretty much everyone who was ill in November andDecember and most of January will have had flu or similar.

Attachments

You can’t argue with the facts in this graph which was created on 24th April. The coloured line is all U.K. deaths in 2020 - not just Covid deaths - deaths by any cause. You can clearly see that we entered 2020 with the usual relatively small peak of deaths that occurs in January (due to flu, pneumonia and other viruses that are around at that time of year) - nothing unusual about that. Then the death rate dropped below average because the flu season was slightly milder than usual. The deaths then rapidly spike out of nowhere in mid March. The people who died in mid March from Covid would have got sick towards the end of January at the absolute earliest - mid February is more likely. If Covid had been in our community before then, the death spike would have happened earlier or at least been a more gradual rise. Think about people’s behaviour around Christmas - there is a lot of visiting relatives and there are parties too - it would have spread like wildfire, especially amongst the elderly during Christmas visits. This would have shown in the death rate as although most people don’t die from it, a lot of people do, especially elderly people.

that’s not to say that there couldn’t have been the odd isolated case - there is potential for that, but pretty much everyone who was ill in November andDecember and most of January will have had flu or similar.
Like I said I beg to differ and do think it was here December January as Mid January my other half was involved in the first official case in the uk and before it was announced there was loads in December ill after flying in from wuhan

Like I said I beg to differ and do think it was here December January as Mid January my other half was involved in the first official case in the uk and before it was announced there was loads in December ill after flying in from wuhan
How do you explain the lack of deaths until the middle of March in the U.K. if that were the case?

I really want this test - I was SO poorly end of November last year. I never catch viruses and things but I was pretty much bed bound for 6 days, went to the doctors twice in a week. I had a high temp, awful cough and saw throat, pounding headache. I'd never felt so ill! I would LOVE to know if it was COVID back then.
Same . Me and dh were really ill , the kids however were fine, and most of the teachers were of school some for up to 3 weeks. I remember talking to the head teacher and she said she’s never knew a bug or virus like It, making the staff and parents Ill but kids fine

NHS staff who got one - was it hard to get one? Was there a process to go through/criteria to meet etc? Apparently we can now get one in wales but we have to specifically request it with what I’m assuming a good reason... they’re not just offering them to everyone
I've not had one as I don't think I've had it but all we had to do was make an appt and go over to have a blood test. Which was ridiculous as we all take blood and could just do each others and send it

I was so unwell with a virus with covid type symptoms in January. I'll not be entitled to an antibody test but I am curious. There is no disputing how poorly I felt.
Me too. I was exhausted, short of breath, aches & pains, hurt to breathe, dry hacking cough.

How do you explain the lack of deaths until the middle of March in the U.K. if that were the case?
Not everyone dies from it, when the death rate was at it's highest , not everyone who tested positive died . Viruses circulate for a while before in people who don't get medical attention so there will be lots of undocumented cases. They only noticed something was up in Wuhan when they realised how many people were seeking treatment for an unusual pneumonia type illness.

Not everyone transmits their germs to everyone they come into contact with Some people always practice good respiratory and hygiene. Perhaps they weren't in the asymptomatic period when they were close to other people. I know people who tested positive for covid who've been the only one in their household who've been ill.

Yes a lot of people had regular winter viruses but some people did have more unusual symptoms that don't come with them . None of people I know who claim they had it round December/ jan have come down with a virus since.

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-france-patient-zero-december.html

Whose desperate to say they’ve had Coronavirus? Why would anyone have wanted it..?

Reactions: 3
My husband and myself have both tested positive for the antibodies. Our children have tested negative (although all would have been exposed to it) but I’m taking my test with a pinch of salt as I know people who have been given both a positive and a negative result.

Not everyone dies from it, when the death rate was at it's highest , not everyone who tested positive died . Viruses circulate for a while before in people who don't get medical attention so there will be lots of undocumented cases. They only noticed something was up in Wuhan when they realised how many people were seeking treatment for an unusual pneumonia type illness.

Not everyone transmits their germs to everyone they come into contact with Some people always practice good respiratory and hygiene. Perhaps they weren't in the asymptomatic period when they were close to other people. I know people who tested positive for covid who've been the only one in their household who've been ill.

Yes a lot of people had regular winter viruses but some people did have more unusual symptoms that don't come with them . None of people I know who claim they had it round December/ jan have come down with a virus since.

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-france-patient-zero-december.html
I completely agree with al lot of what you’re saying, but a proportion of people would have died - it’s not like a proportion of people who had it suddenly started dying in the middle of March after nobody had caught it and died of it before then - the only way to explain the figures is that it wasn’t here other than in potentially occasional isolated cases before then. And the general public had terrible hygiene before we were all told to wash our hands regularly (this is something I did all the time as I have a phobia of viruses but surveys have consistently shown that far less people wash their hands than we’d think). We already knew about Covid in January - if we had been getting a lot of strange pneumonia related deaths or hospital admissions or even cases seen by GPs, it would have been picked up on fast because the medical community was aware of it being in other countries and the symptoms. I don’t doubt that there will have been the odd isolated case but it is not possible that it was here in the quantity for everyone who claims they had it in November and December to have had it then without it spreading exponentially and a) being noticed and b) killing a percentage of those infected.

• Haha
Reactions: 2
My husband and myself have both tested positive for the antibodies. Our children have tested negative (although all would have been exposed to it) but I’m taking my test with a pinch of salt as I know people who have been given both a positive and a negative result.
Totally agree it’s a useless test 😂