Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

50sGirl

VIP Member
Watched an old Alan Titmarsh programme last week.
He said if you buy one plant in flower (I assume shrub or perennial because they’d need to be hardy) every month for a year then you will always have something flowering in your garden all year round.
What a great idea. I’m going to give it a go.
This month we bought a Glandora “Heavenly Blue”.

• Heart
Reactions: 7

Ginlover92

I decided to plant some seeds today. Did tomatoes, sweetcorn and sweet peas in propagators. So ready to be spending weekends in the garden in the sunshine.

• Wow

Nolongerjustalurker

Chatty Member
We haven’t planted anything out in the allotment yet really. This time last year we had sweetcorn, peas, peppers, courgettes and all sorts growing already, I’d had my first crop of green beans!

potatoes are looking good though
D2CFA05F-C066-433B-B676-07E79F23FC74.jpeg

• Heart

Ginlover92

20210721_153829.jpg

My lovely purple peas. Although I was a bit surprised that the pods are purple but the peas inside are green. The flowers are a lovely pink/purple colour too

• Heart

Heidi_Sue

SLUGS. Bloody slugs. I couldn't believe how well my cabbages and cauliflower was growing this year. So proud of myself and in one night obliterated! Devastated! Got my two remaining cauliflowers under very close protection now 😂

Xales

VIP Member
So I have got the last of my tomatoes in. A lot of green ones on the window sill to see if they will ripen and a few too far gone to save.

Toms.jpg

Greenhouse cleared down and my lemon & lime trees in there ready to be covered when the cold comes. My other half did an avocado seed during lock down and got a bloody plant on his first try (not very jealous honest!) . It was indoors last year but I am going to try it covered in the greenhouse as it is getting a bit large.

• Heart

Purrrrrrr

VIP Member
If you love cut flowers that smell great but are not confident try growing sweet peas from seed. You can grow them in baskets, pots or beds The more flowers you cut off the more flowers you will get. They are only small so you need lots of small containers/ vases.
Flowers only last a couple of days but by that time you will have another lot to pick. Don't let them go to seed or they will stop flowering, if you see a seedpod start take it off ( looks like peapods) and only let them go to seed at the end of the flowering season. Then collect the seeds for next year.

• Heart

Nolongerjustalurker

Chatty Member
Love this thread. We only have a small back and front garden so I don't really have the space for growing much veg. I do have a ton of herbs though, rosemary, thyme, mint, parsley, marjoram and a bay tree.

We live on a really social street and we have a what's app group. A few of us are going to start some planting in the front of herbs and bits of vegs that people from the road can help themselves to. I love the idea of someone needing a sprig of something and just taking what they need, rather than buying from the supermarket and having wastage as there is always too much.
That’s such a good idea! Someone at the top of our road has the most enormous Rosemary bush and I don’t think they ever use it, I’m always tempted just to snip some off as I walk past!

Xales

VIP Member
Hi all, can I join in?

I have some cabbages and kale which have overwintered. I thought the slugs were eating them but it has turned out to be a fat pigeon so I have covered them in the hopes of salvaging some.

I brought some elephant garlic to try along with the garlic I missed last year that is coming back up.

Radishes, onions, winter salad, lambs lettuce and broadbeans are all starting to show in the veg beds.

Brsselspouts are showing in the green house. Potatoes are chitting.

This weekend I have planted runner bean, pea and courgette seeds in the greenhouse. Carrot, tomato, beetroot, spinach and swiss chard are next on the list.

I brought 20 of the little tin pots that hang on the fence and they all have strawberry runners from last year in.

Trying raspberries for the first time, they are budding. However my redcurrant and blackcurrant don't seem to have survived winter.

• Heart

Xales

VIP Member
Hi all,

I was gutted over christmas. My brussel sprouts were doing amazing, we had that cold snap and they all turned to slime. Managed to salvage a few for dinner.

I am still pulling out carrots. have actually had some decent ones for the first time. Normally they look like those silly thumb tip sized carrots even though they are meant to be proper carrots. This year there were some decent ones and this cheeky fellow I pulled out.

Cheeky Carrot.jpg

• Haha

ClockworkDolly

VIP Member
I do love gardening and have been doing it for years. I always create my gardens from scratch too, which is what I’m currently doing with this one. Getting a greenhouse fitted at the end of March and so I shall be sowing some vegetable seeds this year too.

I have sowed Cosmos and Nasturtium seeds for the past couple of years and have had great success with both of these. Gardening is so satisfying, nurturing plants, raising them from seed, maintaining them and seeing their beautiful flowery results.

I’ve got basil planted in my windowsill and my spring bulbs have just come out ☺ But my basil has these tiny jumping white worms in the soil, does anyone have any idea what they could be?
They sound like some kind of larvae.

Last edited:

fudgebox

VIP Member
Hi all hope it’s okay to join!!
We planted veggies for the first time this year in our green house, we have strawberries, carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, chillis and sweetcorn!
The strawberries keep getting eaten by god knows what and we’ve just chucked the carrots because they had been eaten too 🤣
Tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and sweetcorn are going strong and the chillis are starting to come through!

Also our sunflowers are about to bloom!

• Heart

Saddlesoap

VIP Member
PXL_20210506_183728672.jpg

This was a few days ago, bigger now.
Tomato, courgette and kohlrabi.

I planted my runner bean plants out last week and I think only one has survived 🙁 my sweet peas seem to have halted as well.

Ooh this is a great thread, this year is the first year I’ve had a garden which could sustain plant life! I’m planning on planting some vegetables. Need to do some research on where to start!

Itchy of Itchington

I really wish there was a PM function here (totally understandable that there isn’t!) but I have a load of veg seedlings to give away. Mainly broccoli, sweetcorn and baby cucumbers. Where I live is full of keen gardeners so can’t get rid on the local gardening FB groups. I hate throwing life away!
Shame I'm not a bit closer I'd have them!(border of Greater Mcr and Yorks)

I just found this thread. We moved into our house at the end of January and have slowly been sorting the garden out. The former owners were very much just lawn and a horrible slate area with three ugly random leggy shrubs. So far I've planted all my trees from pots, 2 apple 2 cherry a plum and a pear plus two blueberry bushes into the area that was covered in slate. Also dug out a border and filled it with cottage garden type perennials like yarrow, pinks, delphiniums plus some lupins and hollyhocks. The delphiniums seem to have been slugged to nothingness sadly.

Husband is attempting chilis of various kinds now we have a conservatory and so far has kept them alive for 2 months which is a record. He usually over waters them and they die so he's doing well.

Next project is large raised planters in front of the kitchen windows to fill with herbs. Then the plan for next year is tomatoes and some other salad stuff. I have a 1 year 2 year and 5 year plan for the garden. I will share pictures once there is something to see!

• Heart

Nolongerjustalurker

Chatty Member
Ooh it’s been a tough old season - the slugs and snails are savaging everything, I don’t think we saw a single one last year. This was a mini harvest earlier this week, we planted a mix of beetroot seeds, but they’ve all turned out to be this pale yellow one 😂
19823DC0-0D73-4E4F-A837-C701193D3B45.jpeg

Anotherdayanotherwalk

I'm so looking forward to getting going with the garden 🙂 Ive only been gardening a couple of years but I find it such a satisfying and rewarding hobby. Our local homebase has just closed down which is really sad as I used to love buying the reduced plants from there and nurturing them back to life.

50sGirl

VIP Member
Had a few hours in the greenhouse today.
I pinched out my Sweet Peas and then I thought, rather than discarding the shoots, I’d try to see if they’d work as cuttings. So I dug out my Hydropod and popped them in there. I’ve no idea if they are big enough to root but thought I’d nothing to lose.
I also took cuttings of Fuchsia, Nemesia, Chrysanth, Hydrangea and Delphinium. I think it may be a tad early for some of them but thought I may as well fill the Hydropod seeing as it was on.
Not sure if I‘ve done the Delphinium cutting correctly because I’ve never tried it before so we shall see.
Cut off the spent tulip and Daffodil flower heads in the garden so that the goodness goes into the bulbs for next year.
Planted some Crocosmia bulbs in pots. Never grown them before so hopefully they’ll grow and I can plant them out in the borders later.
Also did a general tidy up of the greenhouse to make some more room.
All in all, a good day.

• Heart