Phillip Schofield #11

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
How fabulous is it to see a good guy like Rylan getting all these shows on the beeb? Ready steady cook, you are what you wear. You must be seething Schofe 🤣 you’re cancelled.
Yes, I really likeRylan if he turns out to be a satanist or wrongun, I shall lose the last scintilla of faith in humanity.

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Seems the official line for scrapping his latest "spend it well" series IS "fears over coronavirus"

Still makes no sense.
Anyway, that's gone, the Ice show is finished - at least he's less present on telly now.
Easy to avoid "This Morning."
Just the constant adverts now. They are harder to avoid.

There's a few tweeters still trying to make the "cover up" known but I think they are fighting a losing battle.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
Seems the official line for scrapping his latest "spend it well" series IS "fears over coronavirus"

Still makes no sense.
Anyway, that's gone, the Ice show is finished - at least he's less present on telly now.

There's a few tweeters still trying to make the "cover up" known but I think they are fighting a losing battle.

This cancellation makes complete sense to me, and I don't see it as material to the wider story. Replacing it with a celebrity travelogue to a single continent is a completely different type of programme. In the prevailing circumstances, it would look incongruous for PS to be presenting a show based on offering light consumer travel advice. More consumers are currently looking at their cancellation rights rather than contemplating a new booking. The optics of PS gurning with his head half tilted cheesy showbiz smile when many 10s of thousands of people worldwide are in the process of being stood down or released from their travel / leisure related jobs would just look wrong. That isn't hyperbole - my wife is a Director at a major business travel company.

Reactions: 7
This cancellation makes complete sense to me, and I don't see it as material to the wider story. Replacing it with a celebrity travelogue to a single continent is a completely different type of programme. In the prevailing circumstances, it would look incongruous for PS to be presenting a show based on offering light consumer travel advice. More consumers are currently looking at their cancellation rights rather than contemplating a new booking. The optics of PS gurning with his head half tilted cheesy showbiz smile when many 10s of thousands of people worldwide are in the process of being stood down or released from their travel / leisure related jobs would just look wrong. That isn't hyperbole - my wife is a Director at a major business travel company.
So is any "travelogue" under the circs a good idea?
If not, then the Griff Rhys Jones and Joanna Lumley ones ought to be shelved, too.
I think rather than shelve it they could have got Phillip to film some sections to insert into already filmed bits to mention the current pandemic.
Could have taken the opportunity to edit it to re-shape it into a public information thing.

And hygiene tips are relevant whether there's a pandemic or not.

Could have re shaped the show instead of scrapping it - maybe.

I wouldnt have watched it anyway.
Been avoiding his smugness for years.

Reactions: 8
If not, then the Griff Rhys Jones and Joanna Lumley ones ought to be shelved, too.
I think rather than shelve it they could have got Phillip to film some sections to insert into already filmed bits to mention the current pandemic.
Could have taken the opportunity to edit it to re-shape it into a public information thing.

These shows are recorded and go through post-production well in advance of hitting the screens. Yes, a completely new 'Martin Lewis' type advice show on travel consumer rights, or a completely different type of public health show would be more appropriate, but they wouldn't try and crowbar in new material to the PS show when the rest of the existing content is so outdated. We can disagree on whether the well-worn path of a celebrity travelogue, showing the delights of a single country / continent, is different to one explicitly aimed at advising people on how to 'spend their money well' on a whole host of short haul and long haul options around the world. I have no time for PS, but this decision is certainly not one that I see as at all relevant to the thrust of this forum to date.

Reactions: 6
Perhaps we are approaching this in the wrong way. It's obvious that ITV will continue backing PS if the advertisers are happy with the status quo.

'We Buy Any Car' adverts, featuring PS, are prominent on ITV early evening programmes. What if we targeted them in the next thread. Suggested title: 'Why is We Buy Any Car still using Phillip Scofield?'

Listing only the known facts and using historic articles, featured on previous threads, we need to question their motives. We need to prove that we are pursuing this only because we believe the viewing public should not have to tolerate this man, who has been living a lie for almost 30 years, sitting in judgement of the vulnerable guests on his programme.

It needs to be hammered home to WBAC that the super-hero figure, featured in their adverts, is an imperfect man with feet of clay. I am probably wrong about this but would appreciate any thoughts on how to remove him from so many ITV programme and adverts.

It could be that WBAC are tied in to the adverts but most contracts have an escape clause.
Posts like this really alarm me. If you don't like someone vote with your feet and don't watch them. Don't try and rally the troops to crucify them.

Please could you tell me the "known facts" to support your claims?

How fabulous is it to see a good guy like Rylan getting all these shows on the beeb? Ready steady cook, you are what you wear. You must be seething Schofe 🤣 you’re cancelled.
I really like Rylan and think he deserves every bit of success he's getting. He gets so much crap off people too but I think he's a genuinely nice, humble guy. Funny how he is obviously much closer to Eamonn and Ruth than he is Phil and Holly.

Still makes no sense.

These shows are recorded and go through post-production well in advance of hitting the screens. Yes, a completely new 'Martin Lewis' type advice show on travel consumer rights, or a completely different type of public health show would be more appropriate, but they wouldn't try and crowbar in new material to the PS show when the rest of the existing content is so outdated. We can disagree on whether the well-worn path of a celebrity travelogue, showing the delights of a single country / continent, is different to one explicitly aimed at advising people on how to 'spend their money well' on a whole host of short haul and long haul options around the world. I have no time for PS, but this decision is certainly not one that I see as at all relevant to the thrust of this forum to date.
I work in scheduling and have been meaning to comment on this. Saturn is 100% correct in all of their comments above. There is absolutely no way you'd schedule a consumer travel advice programme now. I'm surprised they pulled it so late, I would have been very apprehensive about going to press (which means sharing the schedules with the press and competitors ten days out from transmission) and promoting it to be honest, but maybe they really wanted to TX (transmit) it because it most likely won't be relevant this time next year (or even later in the year), so were hoping they could TX it rather than write it off. It's only four parts so they might have thought they could have TXd all eps before coronavirus really kicked off, but after they had released it in the schedules they would have realised they had no hope of TXing the whole series before it started to spread more rapidly, especially in Europe.

RE: reshaping it, it is easier for ITV to just take a hit and write off the series. You wouldn't want to change the whole point of the series to something you would never have commissioned in the first place, spend more money on production filming updates and editing, and having it redelivered, recomplied etc., and you couldn't ensure that what was eventually delivered would be relevant at the point of TX because the coronavirus story is fast developing. Production also would not have had time to do all of these things before TX since it was pulled so late, and quite possibly would not have had capacity to do this either.

In terms of the replacement travelogue, it may seem unusual if you're looking in from the outside, but from a scheduling point of view it makes perfect sense. Griff's Aussie programme was filmed early-mid last year, which means it was most likely delivered before Xmas and sitting on the shelf ready to TX. Because Spend It... was pulled so late they had to replace it with a series that was already delivered, something that didn't need a whole bunch of compliance ticks (no legal problems etc.), a series that is not too long and the right duration (replacing 4 x 30' episodes with 6 x 30' only moves the next series scheduled Thu at 8.30 on by two weeks - not a big deal as long as it wasn't tied to an event/anniversary etc.), something that is competitive against BBC1&2, C4 and Five but doesn't cannibalise their own digital channels, and something that works for the target audience, which goes hand in hand with the advertisers, who would have selected to place their spots in Spend It... for the audience and the editorial environment (among other things). This is not an exhaustive list of scheduling considerations, but the ones most relevant here IMO. When it comes down to it, a very, very small number of viewers would watch travelogues then book holidays to that destination, travelogues are mostly aimed at armchair travellers. Viewing this type of programme is more about the talent hosting, culture, experience and escapism, and less about researching a country for your own trip. When it comes down to it, Griff's series ticks the scheduling consideration boxes.

I also had a look at the blurb for Spend It... and there was no mention of Steph featuring at all (someone proposed on here that perhaps she was). That, combined with the scheduling considerations makes me believe it being pulled was completely coronavirus related (even though the conspiracy theorist in me desperately hopes it's because ITV thinks that more info about MM and potentially others will become public knowledge before a four part series could finish TXing!).

Reactions: 15
Posts like this really alarm me. If you don't like someone vote with your feet and don't watch them. Don't try and rally the troops to crucify them.

PS's double life really alarms me and there should be an investigation. He's been living a double life all his life, using his wife as cover, she is complicit, and it involves at least one very young man. We are seeing a cover-up in action and I'm fuming

• Angry
Reactions: 22
Thank you @Saturn and @Oh Really?
Very interesting posts.

I'm just glad it's one less Schofield programme on my telly.

I only need to avoid switching on ITV Mon to Thurs mornings!
Then when I hear his voice heralding one of his commercials, I mute the volume and look away for a few mins until he's gone.

• Haha
Screenshot_20200313-111227.jpeg

Just found this on twitter. Just want to wish Matty Lopez good luck today. Fingers crossed we might finally get some answers.

PS's double life really alarms me and there should be an investigation. He's been living a double life all his life, using his wife as cover, she is complicit, and it involves at least one very young man. We are seeing a cover-up in action and I'm fuming
Matty Lopez has his appointment today to try and get the gagging order overturned.

Matty Lopez has his appointment today to try and get the gagging order overturned.

• Wow
Reactions: 9
He isn't the first, nor will he be the last person to hide his sexuality. You want an investigation into what? All his previous sexual partners and dalliances? If he's committed a crime then bring it on, he deserves everything he gets, but in my opinion people are getting really carried away. If people are so concerned about the fact he has been leading a double life then why leave this at Schofield? Why not investigate every person on the TV because everyone has secrets, if someone has affairs, if someone is a secret hole or treats their staff badly, or maybe if someone has just had a really bad day and been a bit of an idiot - why not investigate them all and campaign to lose everyone their jobs?

Reactions: 4
View attachment 95028
Just found this on twitter. Just want to wish Matty Lopez good luck today. Fingers crossed we might finally get some answers.

Thanks for that information, it's reassuring.

Reactions: 5

I really like Rylan and think he deserves every bit of success he's getting. He gets so much crap off people too but I think he's a genuinely nice, humble guy. Funny how he is obviously much closer to Eamonn and Ruth than he is Phil and Holly.
I apologise if the content of my post alarmed you and I am quite aware that my personal views are not shared by everyone.

With regard to "the known facts", PS himself admitted in an interview (I believe with The Sun) that he thought he had known before he was married that he was gay. I don't know if his wife also was aware of this at that time but he suggeted in the television interview that he had only recently opened up to her and she was devastated.

I am quite aware of the various tales circulating but these can only be verified by the parties involved. What I do find disturbing is the way he made a very public announcement about his sexuality, with the approval of his ITV bosses, and aided by his co-presenter. Holly Willoughby went on to ask him if he was looking forward to future relationships which was an extremely crass remark considering he had just spent ages saying how much he loved and respected his wife.

How must SL and her daughters have felt knowing that thousands of viewers were now privy to her marital heartbreak. And to add insult to injury, just a few weeks later, PS posted photographs of their holiday; parading his family to prove they were all OK with his 'coming out'. This, in my opinion, was badly done.

I also believe that he is now not in a position to be objective when interviewing guests, some of whom will have similar stories to his, on the This Morning programme. In my opinion he has been hiding behind a fake persona for many years and I have no respect for him. You may not agree with this and you are quite right to say that I could vote with my feet, which I have done, but it impossible to escape from his constant appearances on the adverts.

Reactions: 18
I apologise if the content of my post alarmed you and I am quite aware that my personal views are not shared by everyone.

With regard to "the known facts", PS himself admitted in an interview (I believe with The Sun) that he thought he had known before he was married that he was gay. I don't know if his wife also was aware of this at that time but he suggeted in the television interview that he had only recently opened up to her and she was devastated.

I am quite aware of the various tales circulating but these can only be verified by the parties involved. What I do find disturbing is the way he made a very public announcement about his sexuality, with the approval of his ITV bosses, and aided by his co-presenter. Holly Willoughby went on to ask him if he was looking forward to future relationships which was an extremely crass remark considering he had just spent ages saying how much he loved and respected his wife.

How must SL and her daughters have felt knowing that thousands of viewers were now privy to her marital heartbreak. And to add insult to injury, just a few weeks later, PS posted photographs of their holiday; parading his family to prove they were all OK with his 'coming out'. This, in my opinion, was badly done.

I also believe that he is now not in a position to be objective when interviewing guests, some of whom will have similar stories to his, on the This Morning programme. In my opinion he has been hiding behind a fake persona for many years and I have no respect for him. You may not agree with this and you are quite right to say that I could vote with my feet, which I have done, but it impossible to escape from his constant appearances on the adverts.
Sexuality is a strange beast. Maybe he thought he was bisexual? Maybe he was gay but had a deep love for his wife so thought he was straight? Maybe he was in deep deep denial? Maybe he knew he was a raging homosexual but his wife agreed to marry him for a fabulous life and children? We don't actually know. We can summise all we like but the facts are that his wife and daughters all seem very happy with the arrangement and with how PS has handled things. They don't have to be on social media supporting him yet they are, sure there are those of us who are cynical about this stuff but they are choosing to do this stuff. It doesn't matter if you or anyone else think he is parading his gayness in a badly done way, his family are OK with all of that so that's a moot point.

I believe he's been hiding behind a fake persona for years, he's always been really bitchy on Twitter and you can see he's quite arrogant. But guess what? I think the same about Lorraine Kelly and probably most of the presenters on Loose Women, so I just don't watch.

There's loads of stuff that I would struggle to interview people about due to my own life experiences, same goes for anyone. Whether we've had deaths in the family, crimes committed against us, break ups, our own political views... Everything. It all shapes us and doing a job in TV like that there's always going to be something that comes up that is relatable to your own experience/views, you simply can't say he should lose his job on the basis that he is gay and can no longer remain impartial.

I just wanted to add that ITV as a network have had a really bad few years. They've taken a battering in the media with Ant McPartlin, Amanda Holden stirring the pot, all the stuff with Ruth, Philip Schofield and then Caroline Flack. Writing this I guess they've actually been under pressure even longer due to the Love Island stars committing suicide and then being forced to axe Jermey Kyle. A couple of weeks ago a Jeremy Kyle producer killed herself. Philip Schofield coming out as he did, live on air was the best thing for them.

When the whole thing with Ruth rumbled on and on, I wondered what ITV would do to stop it because it got to the point where it needed to be acknowledged and dealt with. Whoever would have guessed that the way of snubbing out that story would be for PS to do this?! Hence why ITV will continue to look after him. I imagine they're gutted they've been forced to axe his latest programme because from a PR point of view the best thing for PS right now is business as usual, noone wants to his name followed by the words "axed" because that just breeds more negativity (well noone who works for ITV or PS anyway)

Last edited:
Nobody cares who's gay or straight any more. If he was a heterosexual man getting in touch with a 15 year old girl who was desperate to get a job in entertainment and he was a highly influential man in the industry around 35 years older than her I'd be worried.

Reactions: 24
Nobody cares who's gay or straight any more. If he was a heterosexual man getting in touch with a 15 year old girl who was desperate to get a job in entertainment and he was a highly influential man in the industry around 35 years older than her I'd be worried.
Absolutely right. If nothing else there is an abuse of power that has happened.

Whilst I agree somewhat, it wasn't uncommon for people to write to people they respect in the media and ask for guidance, to receive a response back in the day would leave you with a really positive impression of the celeb. Has the narrative now changed that whenever someone responds to one of these messages it immediately becomes surreptitious? I imagine now it's less common as celebs and people in the media are so much more accessible thanks to social media so maybe a DM does the same job. Are we talking about the Tik Tok message? I am so against Tik Tok and won't allow my kids to have it and think it is totally ill advised on PS's part to do that, however I did notice that Ant and Dec are now on it too so I reckon this is part of ITVs bid at rehabilitating their image.

I think PS is on a massive charm offensive, it started at the TV awards when he had a big cheesy (fake) grin and was so overly nice to Ruth and Eamonn it was ridic.

Sexuality is a strange beast. Maybe he thought he was bisexual? Maybe he was gay but had a deep love for his wife so thought he was straight? Maybe he was in deep deep denial? Maybe he knew he was a raging homosexual but his wife agreed to marry him for a fabulous life and children? We don't actually know. We can summise all we like but the facts are that his wife and daughters all seem very happy with the arrangement and with how PS has handled things. They don't have to be on social media supporting him yet they are, sure there are those of us who are cynical about this stuff but they are choosing to do this stuff. It doesn't matter if you or anyone else think he is parading his gayness in a badly done way, his family are OK with all of that so that's a moot point.

I believe he's been hiding behind a fake persona for years, he's always been really bitchy on Twitter and you can see he's quite arrogant. But guess what? I think the same about Lorraine Kelly and probably most of the presenters on Loose Women, so I just don't watch.

There's loads of stuff that I would struggle to interview people about due to my own life experiences, same goes for anyone. Whether we've had deaths in the family, crimes committed against us, break ups, our own political views... Everything. It all shapes us and doing a job in TV like that there's always going to be something that comes up that is relatable to your own experience/views, you simply can't say he should lose his job on the basis that he is gay and can no longer remain impartial.

I just wanted to add that ITV as a network have had a really bad few years. They've taken a battering in the media with Ant McPartlin, Amanda Holden stirring the pot, all the stuff with Ruth, Philip Schofield and then Caroline Flack. Writing this I guess they've actually been under pressure even longer due to the Love Island stars committing suicide and then being forced to axe Jermey Kyle. A couple of weeks ago a Jeremy Kyle producer killed herself. Philip Schofield coming out as he did, live on air was the best thing for them.

When the whole thing with Ruth rumbled on and on, I wondered what ITV would do to stop it because it got to the point where it needed to be acknowledged and dealt with. Whoever would have guessed that the way of snubbing out that story would be for PS to do this?! Hence why ITV will continue to look after him. I imagine they're gutted they've been forced to axe his latest programme because from a PR point of view the best thing for PS right now is business as usual, noone wants to his name followed by the words "axed" because that just breeds more negativity (well noone who works for ITV or PS anyway)

I acknowledge all of your well-made points. As with yourself, I would imagine that (hopefully) everyone on this forum is on the same page as you with regard to this having absolutely nothing to do with his sexuality. Where views may part is on the weight that others will put on his apparent duplicity, the deal done with The Sun, the comprehensive attempt to shutdown any UK-based mainstream media and online commentary, the questionable night-time activities online with teenagers at 2am, and the subsequent professional and personal relationship(s) that resulted. When people smell that something is not right, it is natural that they will investigate further and seek some truth. If there is nothing more to this, I will be the first to hold my hands up and think to myself that I have learnt a lesson in life. As things stand, my instinct tells me that there is considerably more to be unearthed in this case.

• Heart
Reactions: 20

Well the whole point of PS is he never was a decent interviewer, he’s a lightweight at best.

as for being objective this he has not been pre coming out, see the Kim Woodburn interview to name one

Reactions: 7
Whilst I agree somewhat, it wasn't uncommon for people to write to people they respect in the media and ask for guidance, to receive a response back in the day would leave you with a really positive impression of the celeb. Has the narrative now changed that whenever someone responds to one of these messages it immediately becomes surreptitious? I imagine now it's less common as celebs and people in the media are so much more accessible thanks to social media so maybe a DM does the same job. Are we talking about the Tik Tok message? I am so against Tik Tok and won't allow my kids to have it and think it is totally ill advised on PS's part to do that, however I did notice that Ant and Dec are now on it too so I reckon this is part of ITVs bid at rehabilitating their image.

I think PS is on a massive charm offensive, it started at the TV awards when he had a big cheesy (fake) grin and was so overly nice to Ruth and Eamonn it was ridic.
Are you saying that MM approached PS first? We've seen MM's response to PS following him on Twitter - something like 'thanks for following me, how are you?'. What I'm wondering is, did PS see the video of MM singing which included his Twitter address and then get in touch with him. MM was 15 at the time.

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.