PhD/university solidarity

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm currently doing an enforced Healthcare masters as part of my job. I don't hugely enjoy it because it seems to mostly be about self reflection and my own leadership skills, but one of my dreams has been to either get a PhD in Public Health or an MBA. Need to finish this qualification first, though...
My PhD is in Epidemiology (hand in hand with Public Health!)

I start my data collection (narrative interviews) tomorrow. I’ve got everything ready but I feel scared! Thinking the participant won’t turn up (on Zoom) and just feel like I’m going to mess it up.

I start my data collection (narrative interviews) tomorrow. I’ve got everything ready but I feel scared! Thinking the participant won’t turn up (on Zoom) and just feel like I’m going to mess it up.
I felt exactly the same when I started data collection. I was doing speech and pitch perception tests with hearing impaired people, in person as this was pre-COVID. It's always nerve-wracking at first but gets much better with time, a few participants down the line you will breeze though it! One thing that helped me was to make an ordered checklist of everything I had to do (explain the tests, get consent form signed, then every test in order etc). If you're on Zoom they probably won't even notice if you're ticking things off the list! Best of luck, hope it goes well :)

Reactions: 1
Just thought I'd bump this thread! Hope everyone is getting on OK.

How did people find writing their findings up? My supervisors don't seem best pleased that I've started writing my findings while I'm still recruiting/collecting data, but I find the two can work in tandem with each other.

Just thought I'd bump this thread! Hope everyone is getting on OK.

How did people find writing their findings up? My supervisors don't seem best pleased that I've started writing my findings while I'm still recruiting/collecting data, but I find the two can work in tandem with each other.
This seems weird to me because as long as you're open minded to changing your findings significantly if you need to, as your data collection develops, this will save you heaps of time later. I think I ended up revising my results about 4 times because it took a long time to do all my interviews, but after a few you can see what some of the themes are likely to be (I think often we reach data saturation far earlier than it's generally thought, certainly my last few interviews didn't add anything much to my overall dataset I would say). Another thing to consider is if your early codes end up being inadequate for your whole dataset then really you will need to go back and recode all your earlier interviews which is a bit of a pain, but not the end of the world. If they're not happy about it maybe just don't mention again that you're doing that until you're finished?

This seems weird to me because as long as you're open minded to changing your findings significantly if you need to, as your data collection develops, this will save you heaps of time later. I think I ended up revising my results about 4 times because it took a long time to do all my interviews, but after a few you can see what some of the themes are likely to be (I think often we reach data saturation far earlier than it's generally thought, certainly my last few interviews didn't add anything much to my overall dataset I would say). Another thing to consider is if your early codes end up being inadequate for your whole dataset then really you will need to go back and recode all your earlier interviews which is a bit of a pain, but not the end of the world. If they're not happy about it maybe just don't mention again that you're doing that until you're finished?
It’s more that I’m working in a draft state as all of my participants (so far) have stated the same themes (in line with my literature review/conceptual framework) so I thought I would make a start. I’ve gone over my analysis several times and taken out/added in codes. It helps me to think clearly writing in paragraphs rather than in note form, hence why I thought I would start a findings chapter. I’m open to my dataset revealing new things through more analysis and doing my interviews. It was just the fact that PhD students are encouraged to be proactive and my supervisors were like nope to me drafting a findings chapter.

• Heart
It’s more that I’m working in a draft state as all of my participants (so far) have stated the same themes (in line with my literature review/conceptual framework) so I thought I would make a start. I’ve gone over my analysis several times and taken out/added in codes. It helps me to think clearly writing in paragraphs rather than in note form, hence why I thought I would start a findings chapter. I’m open to my dataset revealing new things through more analysis and doing my interviews. It was just the fact that PhD students are encouraged to be proactive and my supervisors were like nope to me drafting a findings chapter.
That is really strange! I was encouraged to do what you did, especially as sometimes with interviews they're so draining you're only meant to do 1 or 2 max a day, so you end up with quite a lot of downtime around them? Are you having to do your own transcribing? Honestly this sounds really sensible to me, I doubt they'll be complaining when you've got a draft chapter as soon as you've finished your data collection

That is really strange! I was encouraged to do what you did, especially as sometimes with interviews they're so draining you're only meant to do 1 or 2 max a day, so you end up with quite a lot of downtime around them? Are you having to do your own transcribing? Honestly this sounds really sensible to me, I doubt they'll be complaining when you've got a draft chapter as soon as you've finished your data collection
I’ve written 3 chapters so far! Obviously they’re not in their final form (I’ve got another year left) but the bulk of the introduction, lit review and methodology chapters are done. I’ve transcribed my interviews by myself yeah (took ages!) and I’m still recruiting so I’m expecting to do more interviews/transcribing/analysis. I have a pretty good idea of the overall themes/concepts that will emerge hence why I thought it would be good to draft a findings chapter!

I like to keep writing even if I don’t end up using it as it helps the ideas form better! Just sometimes I feel I can’t win - don’t write, end up worrying you haven’t wrote or write something, worry you shouldn’t be!

I’ve written 3 chapters so far! Obviously they’re not in their final form (I’ve got another year left) but the bulk of the introduction, lit review and methodology chapters are done. I’ve transcribed my interviews by myself yeah (took ages!) and I’m still recruiting so I’m expecting to do more interviews/transcribing/analysis. I have a pretty good idea of the overall themes/concepts that will emerge hence why I thought it would be good to draft a findings chapter!

I like to keep writing even if I don’t end up using it as it helps the ideas form better! Just sometimes I feel I can’t win - don’t write, end up worrying you haven’t wrote or write something, worry you shouldn’t be!
You sound like the model student to me. By the time I went into write up, I only had an introduction and background (which incorporated lit review). I hadn't even done my methods by that point.
If writing even in draft form helps you I'd say keep doing it. The other benefit to that is you probably won't get writers block, which I suffered terribly towards the end and held me up. It was only when I managed to start writing small amounts regularly again that the anxiety around it lessened. So if you're in a regular writing routine, I would keep going whatever they say tbh

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Bumpy bump. Meant to hand my dissertation in next week. Always see people take pics with theirs proud of the work they’ve done. For me it’s the worst bit of work I have done 😂😭

• Heart
I’m due to submit in December but I’ve already been told I’m going to need an extra write up year. My recruitment for participants has been majorly messed up due to Covid 😩 I’ve written 5 chapters of my thesis.

we got this!

Hi everyone,
I really hope you dont me hijacking your thread.

So im hoping to do my Phd in the future. My BA degree was in History combined with Criminology, and my MA is in Social Work. I currently work as a Social Worker in Children's Services but honestly i just love studying.

Would i be expected to do my Phd on a topic relating to my Social Work MA, Or would i be able to complete it within the History department (or even the criminology department)- dont worry if you cant answer that, although if anyone can answer that then i would be extremely grateful. :)

My dream is to work as a university lecturer, tbh i would prefer to do my Phd within the History department and be a 'historian'; i really enjoy micro history and social history. I feel that is where my passion is- my BA dissertation was based on protest singers and the impact (if any) they had on changing policies and i must have done something right as i got a 1st for it and apparently they still talk about it to current students when they first have a lecture on the dissertation.

Due to finances and starting a family, and starting my career this dream has remained a pipe dream, but im 35 now and i feel its time for me to start the application process otherwise i fear it will always remain a pipe dream, and i would hate when im old to look back and regret not doing it.

For my BA i graduated with a 1st, and then a merit for my MA (although i once again got a 1st for my MA dissertation) and my MA dissertation supervisor did tell me that i would be a good candidate for a phd, so i do feel i would be able to do it even though i lack confidence at times. But please can anyone share anything you feel would be helpful and useful for someone like me (seriously thinking about starting the application process) whether it be financial advice, work/life balance, were you able to work alongside doing it? Also did anyone have a clear career plan?

Many thanks, and i think you are all amazing! :)

***ETA*** I am disabled (receive pip) due to my mental health issues; i have been diagnosed with having BPD and Bipolar2 along with other issues. However it is a relatively new diagnosis and receieved it after i had completed my BA and MA degrees. But does anyone else have similar mental health issues to myself and found it difficult to complete the phd. This is one of the things i am worried about tbh

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

So im hoping to do my Phd in the future. My BA degree was in History combined with Criminology, and my MA is in Social Work. I currently work as a Social Worker in Children's Services but honestly i just love studying.

Would i be expected to do my Phd on a topic relating to my Social Work MA, Or would i be able to complete it within the History department (or even the criminology department)- dont worry if you cant answer that, although if anyone can answer that then i would be extremely grateful. :)

My dream is to work as a university lecturer, tbh i would prefer to do my Phd within the History department and be a 'historian'; i really enjoy micro history and social history. I feel that is where my passion is- my BA dissertation was based on protest singers and the impact (if any) they had on changing policies and i must have done something right as i got a 1st for it and apparently they still talk about it to current students when they first have a lecture on the dissertation.

Due to finances and starting a family, and starting my career this dream has remained a pipe dream, but im 35 now and i feel its time for me to start the application process otherwise i fear it will always remain a pipe dream, and i would hate when im old to look back and regret not doing it.

For my BA i graduated with a 1st, and then a merit for my MA (although i once again got a 1st for my MA dissertation) and my MA dissertation supervisor did tell me that i would be a good candidate for a phd, so i do feel i would be able to do it even though i lack confidence at times. But please can anyone share anything you feel would be helpful and useful for someone like me (seriously thinking about starting the application process) whether it be financial advice, work/life balance, were you able to work alongside doing it? Also did anyone have a clear career plan?

***ETA*** I am disabled (receive pip) due to my mental health issues; i have been diagnosed with having BPD and Bipolar2 along with other issues. However it is a relatively new diagnosis and receieved it after i had completed my BA and MA degrees. But does anyone else have similar mental health issues to myself and found it difficult to complete the phd. This is one of the things i am worried about tbh
It’s never too late to start studying again! One of my closest friends is 40 and is doing her PhD 🙂 I can’t offer specific advice but my PhD is between health sciences and sociology, but I’m based in 1 department. I think if you like social history, I would say history or possibly sociology would be the best route to go down?

Depending on where you are in the country, many universities have doctoral training schemes e.g in Yorkshire they have the White Rose Doctoral Training Partnership that offers funding/training. Have you looked into funded places? I’m funded which gives me a wage and pays my fees but they’re super competitive. They’ve got the PG student loans so that’s an option.

Re: mental health - I also have diagnosed BPD and I’m not going to lie, it is a struggle some days. I just have to think to myself that this is what I want to do and I know it’s going to help my future goals. Never be scared or ashamed to ask for help from your supervisors x

Hi everyone,

I would love to chat to you about this but privately! Is there a way of DM'ing on Tattle?

I’m due to submit in December but I’ve already been told I’m going to need an extra write up year. My recruitment for participants has been majorly messed up due to Covid 😩 I’ve written 5 chapters of my thesis.

we got this!
By extra do you mean a fourth year? I honestly think they should stop advertising PhDs as 3 years, it’s ridiculously short and almost everyone I know who submitted within 3 got major corrections. 4+ it seems more likely you’ll get minor or no corrections. You’re in such a strong position having 5 chapters already. Rooting for you!

Reactions: 2
Love this thread, thank you. I’m on month 1 of year 1 (6 year p/t) mine is in psychology and my first study is meant to be out by the end of may.
My supervisor is like we aren’t interested in what other people say 😂

By extra do you mean a fourth year? I honestly think they should stop advertising PhDs as 3 years, it’s ridiculously short and almost everyone I know who submitted within 3 got major corrections. 4+ it seems more likely you’ll get minor or no corrections. You’re in such a strong position having 5 chapters already. Rooting for you!
I'm aiming to submit within three years (i.e by this August!) And I want it to be that short. If they advertise a PhD as 3 years it shouldn't be expected that you write up after funding has run out. I also have to accept that my thesis will be shorter than people who have 4 years of funding, and that's okay! I should focus on quality not quantity

I'm aiming to submit within three years (i.e by this August!) And I want it to be that short. If they advertise a PhD as 3 years it shouldn't be expected that you write up after funding has run out. I also have to accept that my thesis will be shorter than people who have 4 years of funding, and that's okay! I should focus on quality not quantity
Yes, what I meant was that very few people actually complete within 3 years and then people feel bad for taking longer when actually 3 years is difficult. I think England is one of the only countries where a PhD is meant to be 3 years, it’s very short compared to others. It might be easier if you’re doing a theoretical PhD but personally I don’t think it’s long enough for a PhD with a substantial empirical component. The funding should be longer too obviously. I’m not sure about the shorter thesis - there’s usually a minimum and maximum regardless of how long you take, mine wasn’t longer for having taken 4 years, that’s just how long a PhD usually is! Definitely quality over quantity but unfortunately a PhD thesis has to be both 😂

My funding is 3 years but there’s no way I’ll have a completed thesis by December. So yeah I’ll be having a write up year, which I’m hoping will only be a few months. I’m writing something everyday while I await my NHS ethical recruitment to go through.

Hey, I hope you don’t mind me jumping in here… just musing!

I’ve been thinking about it and.. I would like to go into a PHD. I miss academia so much. I’ve done a BA in English language/lit and a MA in PR media and communication. If I go into a PHD does it have to be within the same field as my MA/BA or can it be different?
I\m worried about the finance side of things as well. I’m currently not in employment due to disabilities (job seeking but struggling to find the right role for me at the moment) so IDK if I will even be able to pay…