PhD/university solidarity

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hey, I hope you don’t mind me jumping in here… just musing!

I’ve been thinking about it and.. I would like to go into a PHD. I miss academia so much. I’ve done a BA in English language/lit and a MA in PR media and communication. If I go into a PHD does it have to be within the same field as my MA/BA or can it be different?
I\m worried about the finance side of things as well. I’m currently not in employment due to disabilities (job seeking but struggling to find the right role for me at the moment) so IDK if I will even be able to pay…
It doesn't have to be in the same field but your supervisors will want to know you're sufficiently competent to complete a PhD in a different field. I did an interdisciplinary PhD and I have to say, the half of mine that I wasn't familiar with from my previous studies was a real struggle. It's not impossible, but picking up a new field at PhD level is difficult.
Finance side of things - most people would advise you not to do a PhD unless you have full funding. You can get a student loan if you're in England now (not sure about the other countries - sorry!) but I'm not sure how it works out with living costs etc. The max you can get is 25k and full year fees on a PhD will be about 4k a year, then you might have research costs etc.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Hi all. I've seen a few other people on here mention they are doing PhDs so thought I would have an anonymous moan to people in the same boat. I'm finding everything so tough right now and everything I write is awful but I'm getting soo behind. Spent all day today on the couch after having a breakdown at 9am at my computer. I feel crap and pathetic and exhausted. Please say I'm not the only one who gets days like this
Currently doing a PhD as well. I love it now but the first few months were really tough and uncertain, and I had serious doubts for a while. There are of course the occasional “off days” still but I think that’s true for any profession/course/job. I hope things improved for you since x