Peter Kay

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I heard from a friend of a friend who knows his family that the tour was cancelled because of his own health. Leukaemia apparently. 😥

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 8
I heard from a friend of a friend who knows his family that the tour was cancelled because of his own health. Leukaemia apparently. 😥
Sounds like one of the rumours that went round on Twitter at the time. I still don’t believe it’s him who is ill.

Reactions: 3
We had tickets too but we said we wouldn’t rebook if he ever said he was going to redo it. I know that probably sounds petty and I’m sure he had good reason for it but he always comes across as someone that doesn’t care about his fans. They like his tv shows etc but he just stops them.
A lot of successful comedies finish after a couple of series to leave the fans wanting more and to end on a high while it’s still funny. I’m certain in the case of Car Share it’s the same not because he doesn’t care about his fans 🙄

• Heart
A lot of successful comedies finish after a couple of series to leave the fans wanting more and to end on a high while it’s still funny. I’m certain in the case of Car Share it’s the same not because he doesn’t care about his fans 🙄
Car Share got that extra episode fans demanded so much where John and Kayleigh got together.

Reactions: 2
I think he is clever ending series at the peak, rather than letting them drag out and fans getting bored. Car share was great and the extra episode tied it up well.

Reactions: 11
We had tickets too but we said we wouldn’t rebook if he ever said he was going to redo it. I know that probably sounds petty and I’m sure he had good reason for it but he always comes across as someone that doesn’t care about his fans. They like his tv shows etc but he just stops them.
I had tickets aswell, this is the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever read. If someone in your family was seriously ill would you be at work?

• Heart
Reactions: 25
The only thing makes me doubt it was him that was sick is, I imagine if hes putting on a huge tour like that, he probably has to have all sorts of kinds of insurance in place before it happens. I would think as part of that, he would have pretty thorough health checks (especially if he had problems before). So, unless it was something that happened very suddenly, which of course it could be, I do wonder if it was someone else. He came out in support of a charity supporting a childhood illness so, many speculated it was his child that was unwell.

Reactions: 4
Ha ha what are you? Like 12 years old? You do sound very petty about it. Can understand you might be upset because he cancelled something you were looking forward to but he’s obviously had good reason to. It more than likely cost him a fortune to cancel a tour. The promotional material, advertising all sorts. It obviously wasn’t a decision he made lightly and if it was him that was / is poorly it makes you sound like a right callous witch.
Kudos to PK for actually thinking of his family rather than the money or his fans.....and that your evening out was ruined!! 🙄

Reactions: 23
After cancelling the tour he did two surprise live shows for a really small audience and it was in aid of a charity that nobody had really heard of that dealt with a specific children’s disease. I walkways suspected that was his thank you and that he’d cancelled as one of his children had been diagnosed with something

God forbid anyone in your family ever gets a serious illness and you want to spend time with them

Reactions: 19
I was absolutely gutted when he cancelled the show. I bought tickets for my dad to go as it’s always been his bucket list to go see Peter live. About 5-6 years ago I got tickets to go see his danceathon thinking it was a show so have always been desperate to take my dad to see his stand up.

such a shame for anyone to go through, hope he and his family are doing well

Reactions: 1
He’s a supporter of the Lily Foundation, which carries out fundraising and research into mitochondrial disease. I know a child who has this and it’s a horribly complicated and ravaging disease. It’s so hard just to know the child who is affected, never mind being an actual family member. Must be horrendous for the family as the disease is so unknown and unpredictable.

Reactions: 1
We live near him and see him quite often. If we're going off looks and appearances I'd say it isn't himself who is ill, but who knows? Illness can be invisible.

What I will say is he isn't very approachable. I've seen him be quite rude and cutting when recognised. Before he cancelled his tour and since. It's a bit of a facade that he's this jolly, down to earth guy. In reality he's quite mean and grumpy. Then again, I'm not famous so perhaps he's just fucked off with strangers shouting "garlic bread" at him in Sainsburys 😂

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 48
We live near him and see him quite often. If we're going off looks and appearances I'd say it isn't himself who is ill, but who knows? Illness can be invisible.

What I will say is he isn't very approachable. I've seen him be quite rude and cutting when recognised. Before he cancelled his tour and since. It's a bit of a facade that he's this jolly, down to earth guy. In reality he's quite mean and grumpy. Then again, I'm not famous so perhaps he's just fucked off with strangers shouting "garlic bread" at him in Sainsburys 😂
I think you're absolutely right - he's notoriously very private (and good for him) so he probably does get pissed right off with being approached every 2 minutes by strangers. Just because someone is in the public eye, that doesn't mean they have to be "available" to the public all the time. The different persona doesn't surprise me either, there have always been amazing comedians who are very different when not performing - Tony Hancock, Frankie Howerd, Paul Merton, Kenneth Williams to name just a few. They all suffered from the sad clown syndrome.

I think he's so well loved that people have felt personally aggrieved when he's cancelled or postponed shows when really we need to remember that he owes us absolutely nothing. Much as I love him, if he never does stand up again then I'll just be grateful for the laughs he has given us. I hope him and his family are doing OK.

• Heart
Reactions: 19

I served him once in a shop I worked in and he was very grumpy and rude to me! He wouldn’t take pictures with fans either but then again he was trying to shop... it must get annoying!!

People don’t stop making TV shows because they don’t like fans, they stop because of artistic integrity. Car Share, Phoenix Nights or Max and Paddy could all still be running now but they wouldn’t be at their top.

I hope all is well with him, he clearly stood to make a fortune from that tour but health and family comes first.

I served him once in a shop I worked in and he was very grumpy and rude to me! He wouldn’t take pictures with fans either but then again he was trying to shop... it must get annoying!!
That's why I could never be famous! I found it annoying enough when our dog was a puppy and people would come up to us uninvited in public 😂. Couldn't imagine how it would be trying to shop, etc.

• Haha
Reactions: 20
I'm clearly in the minority on here but I can't stand the sight of him anymore.

In the early days, I loved him but then I got sick of hearing the same jokes over and over again together with his overwhelming, childish need to be the centre of attention on anything he appears on - I'm specifically thinking Parkinson, Jonathan Ross and Strictly <shudder> where he completely tried to take over. What an ego. Surprised he didn't insist on his name being in the title 🙄

I have long heard the rumours of his nastiness towards fans. I read on a forum ages ago that someone approached him at a garden centre and congratulated him on the birth of his first child and he turned round and said "what the duck has it got to do with you?" That's when I really turned off him because yes, it must be annoying but there is absolutely no need for that. Rude bleep. You don't mind your fans when they're buying your tour tickets or rehashed DVD's though do you Peter? You need to remember they're the very reason why you live in your big, gated house.

It's no secret Dave Spikey and Neil Fitzmaurice, who worked on Phoenix Nights with him (and apparently wrote most of it) fell out with him. In fact, NF was quoted one time as saying it would be a cold in hell before he would ever work with him again (although I think they have made up and done so - must have needed the cash) According to Sally Lindsay, he was a nightmare when he had that small cameo on Corrie as well - telling the director what to do IIRC.

All that said, I don't wish any kind of illness on him or his family. I'm not surprised at all to learn he's taken out some kind of injunction to stop reporting on whatever it is - the press obviously know (the Daily Mail consistently dance around it) and it is clearly killing them that they can't pursue it any further.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
I'm clearly in the minority on here but I can't stand the sight of him anymore.

In the early days, I loved him but then I got sick of hearing the same jokes over and over again together with his overwhelming, childish need to be the centre of attention on anything he appears on - I'm specifically thinking Parkinson, Jonathan Ross and Strictly <shudder> where he completely tried to take over. What an ego. Surprised he didn't insist on his name being in the title 🙄

I have long heard the rumours of his nastiness towards fans. I read on a forum ages ago that someone approached him at a garden centre and congratulated him on the birth of his first child and he turned round and said "what the duck has it got to do with you?" That's when I really turned off him because yes, it must be annoying but there is absolutely no need for that. Rude bleep. You don't mind your fans when they're buying your tour tickets or rehashed DVD's though do you Peter? You need to remember they're the very reason why you live in your big, gated house.

It's no secret Dave Spikey and Neil Fitzmaurice, who worked on Phoenix Nights with him (and apparently wrote most of it) fell out with him. In fact, NF was quoted one time as saying it would be a cold in hell before he would ever work with him again (although I think they have made up and done so - must have needed the cash) According to Sally Lindsay, he was a nightmare when he had that small cameo on Corrie as well - telling the director what to do IIRC.

All that said, I don't wish any kind of illness on him or his family. I'm not surprised at all to learn he's taken out some kind of injunction to stop reporting on whatever it is - the press obviously know (the Daily Mail consistently dance around it) and it is clearly killing them that they can't pursue it any further.
OMG I saw him once on The Jonathan Ross show what a twit pissing about behind the set, not letting the HOST get a word in, Jonathan looked pissed off and I don't blame him.

Reactions: 11
OMG I saw him once on The Jonathan Ross show what a twit pissing about behind the set, not letting the HOST get a word in, Jonathan looked pissed off and I don't blame him.
Exactly this ☝🏼 I think he was trying to climb in though a window at the back of the set or something. Attention seeking, unfunny and rude.

Reactions: 9
Exactly this ☝🏼 I think he was trying to climb in though a window at the back of the set or something. Attention seeking, unfunny and rude.
Yes that was the one. It was like he didn't want to be interviewed well don't go on a chat show then. Put me off him.