Peter Kay

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
First time poster, but long time lurker! He lives near me. A little lad wanted his autograph, maybe 2004ish, I used to work with sue so I said I would go over and get it for him. He was in a shop in town. As soon as I went over he said “duck off, I’m having an off day”. The lad was devastated. He is very nasty when in real life and it’s a shame.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 29
I googled him and expected to be blown away. Am I the only one who thinks he looks totally normal? He's always been big. Paul Ritter unsettled me when I saw him on Friday Night Dinner documentary but PK looks the same.

Reactions: 11
He hasn't updated his material in twenty years 😂
One of the gags he did on his comeback show at the weekend was "Where does Saddam Hussein keep his CDs? In Iraq!"

duck me, Peter, you've really been updating your act while you've been away haven't you?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 29
One of the gags he did on his comeback show at the weekend was "Where does Saddam Hussein keep his CDs? In Iraq!"

duck me, Peter, you've really been updating your act while you've been away haven't you?
His Karajoke bit he always does at the beginning of a show is so tired and desperately needs canning. I'm assuming he did it at the start.

Reactions: 7
I first saw him in 1997/98 and he did the same jokes then
As I've said before (maybe not here) the issue with him is that a lot of his standup is Observational Comedy... that was observed in 1984.

And the rest is dad jokes.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
I still think Phoenix nights is one of the funniest shows I have watched but it was co written by two other comedians not just peter (even though he takes all the credit and awards) but if you compare that to max and paddys road to nowhere written by peter and paddy theres no comparison it's not as good in anyway. Hes always gonna have a big following at his gigs (if he ever bothers to do any) because some people obviously love the out of date material. But tv is different you have to move with the times I did like car share but some of that was recycled material I have seen before and gay jokes and blacking up is not funny or clever. I kind of think hes a one trip pony.

Reactions: 15
All comedians use their stand up show material for their TV appearances as well. Some just seem to do it more than others, or maybe just do more tv than others.

Reactions: 4
Phoenix Nights worked because it was essentially a period piece anyway.
I really don't know about it being a period piece. I live in Bolton and I know Farnworth (where it was filmed) fairly well. I'd have to say that it is spot on for life there and will never ever age!

• Haha
Reactions: 15
I love PK for nostalgic reasons. When it all gets a bit much I put on his old (old!!) comedy store gig and it still makes me laugh. He's a comfort comedian for me, I'd imagine that's why his gigs still do well considering he hasn't updated his material in god knows how long.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I really don't know about it being a period piece. I live in Bolton and I know Farnworth (where it was filmed) fairly well. I'd have to say that it is spot on for life there and will never ever age!
I’m from the north east and I’d say it’s fairly indicative of a lot of places round here too 😂 That said, his material is still stale and needs a drastic refresh. There’s only so long you can dine out on the same story.

Reactions: 7
I’m from the north east and I’d say it’s fairly indicative of a lot of places round here too 😂 That said, his material is still stale and needs a drastic refresh. There’s only so long you can dine out on the same story.
I agree. Tbh, I like his material mainly because it takes me back to my teens in the 90s. 1990s Bolton 🤣. Life was so much simpler back then 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I like the nostalgia element of his content too. I agree it’s the same jokes and same themes but it’s a bit like when I watch the Royale Family - I don’t get bored of it for some reason . Possibly because I’m from Lancashire myself.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I like Peter Kay and find him funny but whenever he was on the North West local news he was so OTT it was cringey! He was similar when he was on Jonathan Ross. Think he finds it difficult to be himself and not work off a script.

Reactions: 6
I like the nostalgia element of his content too. I agree it’s the same jokes and same themes but it’s a bit like when I watch the Royale Family - I don’t get bored of it for some reason . Possibly because I’m from Lancashire myself.
Exactly this. My boyfriend doesn’t laugh at Peter Kay or The Royle family because he didn’t grow up in the same environment and I don’t think he gets the jokes. I still find them hilarious!

Reactions: 11
I'm a little sad to read that he is not that nice in real life. I still think he is hilarious though

Reactions: 10