Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
When I used to watch The Tube I was a small town girl who had a couple of shops to buy clothes from.
I had never really seen ladies with tattoos on their arms and the vintage style clothes that Paula wore.
Now if you don’t have a tattoo you are different and you can buy whatever clothes you want from th’internet .
The children’s names were all very different to the Lauren’s and Rebecca’s that were in where I live.
She liked attention and pushing boundaries but I did find her interesting when I was a teen.
Now I’m a mum and granny I just think that she was either just very selfish or had trauma that she couldn’t cope with and using hard drugs is never ever going to end well x
Gosh you could be me with your comment. Exactly my thoughts and experience.

Speaking of women with tattoos, the first time I had ever heard of it was reading an article about Cher having a butterfly tattoo on her bum years ago. The idea seemed completely bizarre 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 21

Serene Serena

VIP Member
I know she had a lot of problems. It does seem that Jeanne Marine was actually pretty active in their lives though? Was a hell of a role to step into.
I don't suppose we'll ever know whether the girls were emotionally supported and cared for after Paula died. Paula hadn't been a big part of their lives for a while, when she passed away. Bob got full custody and Paula was living in a mews house with Tiger.

It's just such a sad, tragic story, and so unnecessary. Paula put herself and her needs above those of her children, following on from the example of her own mum and grandma. She shouldn't have had children really.

Oh I didn’t realise it was recorded as suicide. Who would take their life naked? And yes whilst very traumatic should’ve been the wake up call she needed to get her shit together for the children.
It's very common. Inhibitions get lost and you enter the world naked so why not leave it in the same state?

Lalla

VIP Member
Article in the DM about Tiger Lily, off the back of the Paula documentary.
Nothing terribly new but she is known as Heavenly now. And apparantly was meant to get £36m from Michael's estate and got nothing as it had 'all gone'.
It also said Fifi had a tempestuous relationship with Paula for years and they weren't speaking.
I'd not realised that Tiger Lily's ex used to be in Tame Impala (my son's favourite band).
She seems to be living a peaceful, happy life and moving to Australia seems to have been good for her.

I agree with the comments about Paula's obsession with Michael. I believe she was completely in thrall to him, would have done anything he said, or anything to keep him with her. Had Michael lived longer, I don't see there having been a happy ending for them; if he'd left her I think she would have tried desperately to get him back, and if that failed I'm not sure she would have wanted to go on living. Or they'd have stayed together with him resenting her the more she clung on to him. Her obsession was such I don't think she ever considered the children in any of it, he was her entire focus.

It's sad because she was an intelligent articulate woman, with real individuality, but she was also selfish and narcissistic.

It's true that the 3 surviving sisters leading 'normal', happy lives is the real story, I truly hope they have broken the cycle of childhood trauma leading to adult dysfunction.

SkippyDoo

Chatty Member
[
I know it’s a couple of pages back, but the idea of Bob asking for freebies at his local Tesco really amuses me. How does he go about it? Does he take a couple of yellow-label ready meals up to the counter and beg the cashier for them??
I’ve got visions of banging on the counter, using the f word, demanding the groceries right now. It’s my main impression of his style.

• Haha

Fruitshop

Yes.
I don't hate Paula but she was old fashioned even in the early 80's. Everyone at school watched The Tube but to us teenagers Paula was like someone's embarrassing Mum! Just so outdated. She wasn't the second most famous women in the UK as the program claimed - at the time she was just seen as a silly tart who'd slept her way into TV, not to mention the dodgy tat. Maybe these days she would be judged less harshly but I'm afraid her friends are misremembering how she was perceived back then. And that was before the true extent of her other men was revealed.
Hislop does behave badly but I think he expected some witty retorts from Paula, but once she realised she couldn't flirt her way out of it there was nothing left. Basically that's all she could do.
I don't feel sorry for Paula - she chose to have multiple affairs, dump the kids with the hired help and then overdose with her daughter in the house. However I do feel very sorry for all of her children - Peaches never stood a chance did she?
Yes this is how I thought of her too. Couldn’t bear all the flirting and 1950s housewife stuff. She made me cringe. I never thought she was sexy, just desperate. She was an attractive woman who didn’t need all this artifice . I’m a couple of years younger than her and yes, she was outdated even then.

• Heart

FrannyGallops

VIP Member
And she harmed her children as well including her and MH's daughter Tiger Lily
While I agree wholeheartedly with that, I think Michael should also share some of the blame. He was a grown man who thought nothing of shagging his ‘friend’s’ wife and he could have put a stop to the relationship during any part of it and certainly shouldn’t have brought another child into the relationship. I think his drug use and celebrity status totally skewed his perspective over it all.

FrannyGallops

VIP Member
Looking at the component parts she’s actually pretty plain isn’t she - just goes to show the power of charisma and intelligence
This is just my opinion, but I’m not sure I’d say she was plain. She just has a different look? I think in some lights, she was actually quite pretty and if she was on the scene now, I think I would find the find the fact that she’s not conventionally beautiful quite refreshing iyswim, but that worked against her when she got with Michael. The public seemed to be outraged that Hutchence would dump a supermodel to be with someone like Paula and ofc I think Paula always felt inferior (there was loads of other stuff they were angry about too, obviously, but a lot of the press focused on her looks as well). Agree that she was very intelligent and had charisma in spades though.

Solpaqueen

I worked on the BB 😳🍉
A friend of my parents worked for BG's company as a freelancer. She said they had to sign iron clad NDA that were punitive if breached. She said he was tight wad exploiting his workers with bad pay and conditions. (If you're reading this Bob she's since had gender reassignment and now lives in the desert as a hermit)

• Haha

plinky2

VIP Member
Paula was literally a fantasist who just flirted and flitted around in life doing what she wanted and expecting everyone else to trail along with her.

She had been chasing after Michael for many years as well. She had met him before and she very much chameleoned herself into what she thought he wanted, to try to keep him. So to Michael initially she was an alluring sexy lady but she was neurotic, paranoid, jealous and controlling and it did not mesh well with Michael who was private, brooding and hedonistic, wanting to come and go when it pleased him or his mood.

sheleg

VIP Member
Why did Peaches and Pixie (supposedly) call each other Sharon and Tracy? Were they embarrassed by their actual names?
Probably as a way to mock the working classes. Sharon and Tracey were common WC names in the 80s - made famous by the lead characters in the sitcom Birds of a Feather.

Boom Boom!!

Chatty Member
It’s so odd isn’t it how he just left the baby with her? I know this just repeating previous threads but it is still soo odd. I mean they must have thought she was ‘ok’ to care for him she probably put on a front and that was that. I’ve worked closely with addicts and some go to great lengths to prove that they are ‘ok’ to cope with their children. It’s so sad to think that baby boy was left by himself for all that time. I hope they are both doing well. I think it’s good that for the most part the media have left them well alone.

Been a social worker you can usually see straight through though…🤔
There was a rumour on this site or some other site that the husband had something to do with her death. He had confessed when drunk, again I don’t remember for certain the exact facts of what he said. But what stood out was her family’s response is “she would have died anyway “ and left it! Really the story told doesn’t add up. Especially when there were so many professional’s involved(his dad). 99% of time if something doesn’t add up, there is something wrong.

• Sad

GeminiMoon

Chatty Member
Why did Peaches and Pixie (supposedly) call each other Sharon and Tracy? Were they embarrassed by their actual names?
I’ve got quite an unusual name. When I was at primary school, I asked my mum if I could be known as Sarah or Katy instead because I wanted to fit in.

• Heart

PeteM

VIP Member
I think at the time she just felt very beaten down by it. Lots of people hated her by this point including the press and the public. I actually think it was a bit gross that they ganged up on her like that and gave her a harder time than many politicians who have been on (including Bo Jo). I honestly don’t think they would have got away with it these days.

eta: I’ve just watched it on YouTube and tbh, I think it was mostly Ian Hislop than the others. Paul Merton even seemed to be defending her a bit at one point.

I forgot what a cunt Ian Hislop can be.

• Heart

Winepig

VIP Member
I loved Paula Yates. She was a year or so older than me and was such an icon. She had babies but still looked great and with such style. Sadly meeting Michael Hutchence introduced her to drugs which she had never been interested in before. Then Hughie Green being her father and the loss of Michael sent her over the brink. Poor Peaches following her story, so tragic.
I’m afraid the public persona of Paula Yates was very different to the real Paula Yates . She had intermittently used drugs since the age of 14 but was never an addict .

MH certainly didn’t introduce her to narcotics , but their usage together was phenomenal in how it escalated & ultimately ended them both.

Re Paula Yates being a groupie, I remember a Popbitch newsletter from years ago which had a story about her orally servicing all of Wet Wet Wet in turn whilst they were seated.
This is SO disgusting. She must have been a sex addict or nymphomaniac or something like that, or completely wasted. Or all of it. I mean, I try to be sex positive and all that, but this (if it’s true) is not normal, healthy behaviour surely?

• Haha
Reactions: 20

FrannyGallops

VIP Member
I will be interested to see if I like Paula after the documentary. I never really “got” her appeal at the time, but maybe I was too young.
I admit I couldn’t stand her when I was younger and she (obviously) didn’t cover herself in glory with the Hutchence affair but I warmed to her a lot when I read her autobiography. Despite her tv personality as an outrageous flirt, I think she was very insecure about her appearance and had very low self esteem due to her childhood. Also, looking back at her tv interviews and compared to some of the newer celebrity tv personalities, she was actually very good at what she did.

It’ll be interesting to see how she comes across in this documentary.

• Heart
Reactions: 20