Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

sheleg

VIP Member
I wondered what Tiger was up to. Thanks for sharing. I just found this quote from her about her music:

“I Made This Cassette In The Living Room Of Our House In Fremantle, A Seaside Town In Western Australia. I Had Always Been Shy To Sing With Others But Moving Across The World And My Ex-Boyfriend Nick Had Given Me Some Bravery. Something About Living Closer To Nature Meant I Felt Creative And Open Hearted. It Was As If The Wide Open Landscape Of Australia Had Finally Given My Heart Enough Space To Open Properly. The Recordings Are Actually Just Recordings Of Our Rehearsals, I Never Feel Set In How Song Is Meant To Be So They Usually Just Come Out Of Me In The Moment. My Friends Playing Along With Me Are Luckily All Very Empathic Players And We Found A Way To Play With One Another Without Any Structure Or Plan. It Was Really Moving To Create With So Much Freedom And Understanding. Most Of The Songs Are About My Sister Peaches Who I Lost As A Teenager So Singing Them Aloud Felt Very Potent But My Band Always Made Me Feel Held"
Man, why is every word capitalised like that?

• Haha
Reactions: 39

maytoseptember

VIP Member
Great post ⬆

I always think it’s so daft when people defend Peaches by saying “she was a great mum, she really loved her kids”. Loving your kids is the single most basic thing you can do. Of course she loved them. What she didn’t do was protect them.

Did she take heroin/methadone while pregnant and breastfeeding? Yes. Did she somehow evade detection by social services? Yes. Did she OD and leave her young baby alone in the house for hours? Also yes.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 38

SkinnyMalinky

Flipping norah! You go away for a few days, come back and it's all kicking off about somebody having their bum bum licked!

What I want to know is do you do it with or without the coke?

• Haha

GeminiMoon

Chatty Member
I’ve just finished reading Paula, Michael and Bob by Gerry Agar. Wow! What a dysfunctional lot.

It’s clear that Anita, the nanny, was the backbone of the family and without her creativity, rules and routines, commitment and constant labour, Paula would not have been the “fantastic mother” she was said to be in the Geldof girls’ earlier years.

I feel for all the girls but perhaps most of all, Tiger. Her early years sounded very bleak - a father that flitted in and out of her life and had substance abuse issues, and a mother who was also addicted and either holed up in a room off her face on drink/drugs or in rehab again or off having a fling, leaving Tiger with friends. Then 4 year old Tiger was alone with Paula when she died of an accidental heroin overdose and was understandably distressed that she couldn’t wake her - which is tragically reminiscent of Peaches’ death.

• Sad
Prince Charles allegedly wasn’t a great father but stepped up when Princess Diana passed away. Maybe it was the same in the geldof household? unless we have actual experience we can’t comment.
What we do know is he didn’t want two of his three kids traipsing all over Australia with people very evidently on drugs. He also chose to give an orphaned child a home to keep the sisters together. Not many men would do that - let alone the child of a cuckold relationship

DarnIt

VIP Member
‘I'm guessing I'm arguing with older folk.’

With all due respect, enough of the ageist bollocks.

• Heart

maytoseptember

VIP Member
I think Peaches death had everything to do with the loss of Paula. Not only did she have to deal with this massive trauma, I don’t think the years leading up to it were particularly happy or stable either. She was only six when her parents broke up, and then she had to contend with her mother’s obsessive new relationship. I bet all the kids felt abandoned and pushed out. I can’t imagine Bob was a safe, secure and loving figure during all this either. It makes me shudder to think how much the kids suffered and how they seemed to be left to their own devices to party with older men/swan off to the States to “work” and basically do whatever they wanted.

• Sad
Omg, followed Peaches‘ Insta religiously, was VERY shocked when I heard about her death and ABSOLUTELY convinced it couldn’t have been drugs, because there were no signs whatsoever on her insta (naive, obviously). I was looking the whole time for a tattle thread and found it now. Spend the last days catching up with all two threads. 🥵 Now enough from me (my rimming-preferences maybe after we got to know each other slightly better). After Peaches‘ death I started following Fifi as a substitute. She very often shared pictures of Paula and commented. One very funny one was „My mom. Was she ever not pregnant?“ Also it was mentioned, that none of the girls ever got any of Paula‘s wardrobe, but either she didn’t tell why, or I can’t remember. What else do I have to contribute… you get the feeling, that Fifi is close to Bob now. Also, I find it interesting that Peaches and Fifi searched for ways to imitate Paula. Peaches the career as TV presenter, Fifi the bleach blond short hairstyle, which she was very flattered about, when her followers pointed out how much she reminds them of Paula. Also, there is a clip online of a young Pixie, a little portrait about her, in which she dances a bit, turns around and such, and her movements remind very much of Michaels stage presence. Finally a quote from Paula‘s book, in which she said, Peaches, out of her daughters, looks the most like her, Pixie‘s character is the most like her‘s (Paula’s. Not so sure about that one though.) And: I remember a post from Anita, the nanny, a few years ago, for Pixie‘s birthday, in which she very warmly expressed her love and said, no matter who meets Pixie, everyone loves her immediately. I found that very cute.

One more: In the interview with Paula after Michael had died, she says something like „He was a miracle.“ which I found very telling. I mean, calm down woman. 😅

Also, I really wonder, why everyone says, Paula wasn’t attractive. I found her very attractive. That delicate face and petite frame, the unique style?

I remember reading in a girls magazine 15 years ago at least, that Peaches and Pixie used to hang out in the same circles, but Pixie was much more popular, which made Peaches jealous.

I adored Peaches‘ style and would be so curious, how she‘d dress these days.

I remember reading in an interview with Eli Roth, when Peaches was still alive, that he found her quite mature, well read and intelligent. (Might as well just be the excuse for an older guy to f*ck a teenager, but just repeating what he said.)

Sorry for my essay length, but reading through the whole threads animated my brain to recreate all those forgotten thought snippets.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 37

Reverend

VIP Member
I just remembered, on first dates a few years ago there was a girl whose mum was best friends with Paula - I think her name was Belinda. She was talking about how she had had a dysfunctional childhood and how she didn’t get on with her mum, that whole crowd must have been quite neglected by their parents. Sorry if it has been previously mentioned!

Just googled! The first dater was Montana Murphy and her mum is Belinda Brewin.
Belinda Brewin accidentally got mixed up with a guy who murdered a whole family to get hold of a company so he could import drugs. He actually buried the bodies on her land, but moved them when she got suspicious of him.

• Wow

Persephonehasreturned

I think re Bob getting custody of Tiger Lily - there will be things we don’t, and have no right, to know about. Family court proceedings are always sealed unlike say, criminal judgments which are a matter of public record.

Bob himself had a traumatic loss in childhood and thereafter a fairly emotionally barren upbringing. He seems to have done his best with the tools he was equipped with. Arguably he did rather better than Paula. Selfish perhaps, distant probably - erratic and prone to attention seeking behaviour, prioritising a lover over his young children - no.

Can we get this back on topic? Maybe set up a thread in Off Topic, or Rave About, I dunno I'm not judging but I'm here for Peaches chat not other people's sex lives. Fanks babes x

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 36
He really wasn't that great a father by all accounts.
My dad wasn’t a great father... he didn’t have a role model and didn’t know how to be a dad. He made up for it as a grandfather.

i
Mentioned this on the Celebs thread but many years ago my dear old mom who is clueless, sat next to Bob on a long distance flight. She had no idea who he was, thought he was scruffy for Business class and my sister, who was sitting in Economy later told my mom who he was.
My mom said he was utterly charming, spoke about all his children fondly (sounded like a doting father) and even gave my mom some business contacts at her destination (which she used for many years).

my mother was shocked to learn after the flight he was Bob Geldof as he was nothing like she’d read or imagine.

• Heart

RedMagnolia

VIP Member
Not me. I got burned on that thread for showing her empathy when it became clear she'd been using and that was the cause of death.
Mumsnet posters - some of them - don’t know the meaning of the word compassion, nor the true nature of addiction. I’ve never read such a judgemental site in my life. You need to be married, live in North London, have 2 perfect children and post about the best primary school for little Wilbur and Alice, before you can communicate with anyone else on there.

• Haha
  • Heart

Flojo89

She wasn’t very likeable at the time tbh. Her and Mich
Always makes me smile when someone equates vanilla with a lack of sexual adventure. Shows they know NOTHING about the life cycle of the vanilla plant which is anything but boring.

Paula was taken advantage of by someone she thought of as a friend. Get off your moral high horse.
I actively dislike this Gerry Agar woman. If you look at pretty much every single article about Paula, the ‘source’ is always Gerry Agar. She was a woman that ‘knew’ Paula via interactions at the school gates and basically fangirled her way into being a ‘friend’. I take pretty much everything she claims with a hefty pinch of salt. Real friends don’t sell books about the highly personal details of their dead friends sex life. Real friends don’t search their friends house while they’re away on holiday for drugs and then tell their husband and the press about it. What the hell was she doing rummaging about in her house??

• Heart
Reactions: 35

Venuslurker

Chatty Member
Paula's statement about Hutchence's death being an autoerotic asphyxiation gone wrong must've really spread like wildfire cos I honestly thought that's what happened until fairly recently.

sineadf

Bob's mum died of a brain haemorrhage when he was seven. He had two much older sisters and his dad travelled a lot with work so he would've been alone in the house a lot as a child, it sounds pretty lonely and emotionally deprived. They were quite well-off, the Geldofs, and he went to Blackrock, the most exclusive school in Ireland though he wasn't happy there. It's something British people often don't pick up about Bob, that he is from an affluent background and you can see it in his confidence and swagger. I don't think anything in his background really equipped him to make a nice home for his motherless girls even though he provided for them materially.

• Heart

Rekyavikgirl

VIP Member
I love your touching faith in Agar's book which I read when it came out. Agar was a parasite. Bless you for reading her words as gospel @Angelic37

As for us not respecting Paula's words, do you think Agar writing about conversations with a now-dead woman who may or may not have said that at all shows respect? Lolol. You'd be more respectful to Paula by not reading the book.

It's also worth pointing out that Paula's ability to judge the emotional healthiness of ANY relationship was way off. She was massively damaged and in desperate need of validation through sex and attention.

Last edited:
  • Heart