PCOS - Polycystic ovary syndrome healthy diet and weight loss advice

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
They typically do both. Bloods to check your hormone levels and an ultrasound scan to check your ovaries. My only advice would be to drink plenty before you go so you're well hydrated and your veins should be easier to access but tell the person taking your blood about your fear! Hopefully they'll make you feel more at ease and it will be over before you know it.
I had both done and I am also petrified of needles and blood tests 😣😣
But, it is over so quickly.
Just make sure you eat and drink before you go and take something sugary with you in case you feel faint.
Whenever I do for bloods, I always tell the nurse and they are super with me.
Don’t be scared, just think of the outcome. These things need answers and you never know, you could be fine and everything come back normal!! 😀

Just a little heads up, if they check your hormone levels, ask for a print out and do some research into normal/abnormal levels. They told me a few years ago I was fine when I clearly wasn’t. I only got diagnosed last year after fighting for 10 years 😠😤 then I had to go private and my gynaecologist broke the news to me!

Good luck 💓
Thank you both - very reassuring :)

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Hey All! I’ve just been diagnosed with PCOS (took about 11 years of torture and more recent hair growth on face to get there but glad we did in the end). I’m not overweight, I’m actually 5ft 7 and 9 st 5. But in the last year between two appointments have gained 16 lbs which is worrying me. I exercise 5 days a week, 2 day a of which are super hard core hit training, the other days just interval. My diet isn’t bad, I definitely don’t eat loads and loads. Now my point is, having gained so much in such a little period of time, what in your experience should I do? Hoping to be prescribed metaformin (although not taking this lightly as I know it can be quite a tough thing to be on) to try hault the weight gain before it gets out of control. At a total loss on how to prevent this despite being active and eating well.

Hey All! I’ve just been diagnosed with PCOS (took about 11 years of torture and more recent hair growth on face to get there but glad we did in the end). I’m not overweight, I’m actually 5ft 7 and 9 st 5. But in the last year between two appointments have gained 16 lbs which is worrying me. I exercise 5 days a week, 2 day a of which are super hard core hit training, the other days just interval. My diet isn’t bad, I definitely don’t eat loads and loads. Now my point is, having gained so much in such a little period of time, what in your experience should I do? Hoping to be prescribed metaformin (although not taking this lightly as I know it can be quite a tough thing to be on) to try hault the weight gain before it gets out of control. At a total loss on how to prevent this despite being active and eating well.

I wish I could answer this question for you but I can’t 😤
Honestly the whole weight this is horrid and I’ve not found anything that’s worked well for me.
They do say to cut out carbs but that’s so hard to do.
I try to avoid the foods that I know won’t help and I have a list of them all from google. I’ve done lots of research to try and find the best diet plan but I don’t think any work 🤷🏼‍♀️ Well not for me anyway.
Everyone is so different and have different symptoms and severities; it’s just about finding your own balance and what works for your body.

Honestly the whole weight this is horrid and I’ve not found anything that’s worked well for me.
I try to avoid the foods that I know won’t help and I have a list of them all from google. I’ve done lots of research to try and find the best diet plan but I don’t think any work 🤷🏼‍♀️ Well not for me anyway.
Everyone is so different and have different symptoms and severities; it’s just about finding your own balance and what works for your body.
Its so frustrating 😣

• Sad
The only thing that has helped me to control the weight creeping up is to cut out dairy, gluten and refined sugar. Is sounds deathly dull but once you’re got used to it you feel great and really helps with all PCOS symptoms.

Reactions: 4
The only thing that has helped me to control the weight creeping up is to cut out dairy, gluten and refined sugar. Is sounds deathly dull but once you’re got used to it you feel great and really helps with all PCOS symptoms.
Thanks for this. I am thinking of going gluten free - I can only try. Of course this contradicts the whole eat brown bread, pasta etc instead of white. Would you recommend eating gluten free pasta etc over the brown stuff? It’s a mind boggle isn’t it!

Thanks so much for the reply. I’ll keep digging away at the research and playing the trial and error game, hopefully find a balance in time.

Reactions: 1
Thanks for this. I am thinking of going gluten free - I can only try. Of course this contradicts the whole eat brown bread, pasta etc instead of white. Would you recommend eating gluten free pasta etc over the brown stuff? It’s a mind boggle isn’t it!

Thanks so much for the reply. I’ll keep digging away at the research and playing the trial and error game, hopefully find a balance in time.

No I’m not eating any pasta or bread replacements as both really over processed so will make courgetti and have with a different veggie sauces. Sweet potatoes are your best friend on this diet!!

Reactions: 3
No I’m not eating any pasta or bread replacements as both really over processed so will make courgetti and have with a different veggie sauces. Sweet potatoes are your best friend on this diet!!
Perfect, I’ll give those a go thanks! I have been thinking sweet potato so great to hear you recommend! 🙌🏼🙌🏼

*following this*

I have PCOS and I have 5 stone to lose in order for my gynae to give me clomid. My symptoms are infertility, excessive weight gain, mood swings and oily skin.

I have been researching diets excessively in order to try and find the most compatible option for my lifestyle. The difficulty with PCOS is it is a life long condition therefore the best bit of advice I could give you would be to not look for specific diets, rather look into a lifestyle overhaul.

I have personally decided to go low carb as this doesn't feel like a diet as such, obviously there is a lot of stuff I will need to cut out but it is no where near as rigid as some diets out there. I liked the look of keto but to be honest I don't think it is a sustainable and you have to be very, very, very consistent. I am trying to limit my intake of carbs down to 50g a day. Its quite an intimidating lifestyle to go into because a lot of lower fat alternatives are super high in carbs - semi skimmed milk for example would be worse for you in coffee than having double cream. Margerine is considered the devil whereas butter is there to be enjoyed. Obviously society leads us to believe full fat = BAD, low fat = GOOD, when actually that reality is totally different.

My advice would be to look at Low GI or Low Carb. I think Low GI looks as though it would be really hard to grow accustomed to whereas low carb seems to fit easier into my lifestyle. Research your fruit and veg and get into a rhythm. One thing I would say is it is really important to try and cut ALL bread, pasta, rice, potatoes and starchy veg out. The temptation is to replace everything with whole wheat or sweet potatoes etc and the reality of it is the carb content is virtually the same. As you lose the weight you can start to moderately re introduce carbs back in.

Also I cannot stress enough how important exercise is for your mental health. I struggle with the motivation to get my arse to the gym but actually once I have managed a work out I wonder why I hadn't done it to begin with.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
I followed a plan while preparing for IVF that is also recommended for PCOS. Often with PCOS the body is unable to regulate blood sugars and can be insulin resistant. Therefore you need to avoid foods that are high in refined carbs and sugars. So basically any white breads / pasta etc. And obviously really sugary sweets and cakes. You’re going to want to eat higher fibre carbs, and get plenty of fibre in your diet in general. Anti inflammatory foods are good too.

I took a supplement called Inositol which can help to balance blood sugars and also reduce the effects of PCOS. You can buy it online, I got mine from Zita West.

I've just got mine today, have you seen any benefits?x

I have been taking this fertility blend for the past month.
I was just wondering if I could take inositol along side these?

So far so good, I have had 2 periods since taking these which is the unknown for me! There was only 3 week between them but it’s still a huge improvement to my normal cycle.
Sorry about TMI 🙄 just wanted to share my experience 😃

Attachments

I've just got mine today, have you seen any benefits?x
Well I got pregnant (with IVF) so that was my main benefit 😊

I don’t have diagnosed PCOS just some markers of it when they did scans etc, so I took it Incase my blood sugars were affecting my hormones which in turn would affect egg quality.

For those hoping to be prescribed metformin, Inositol does much the same job only without the side effects (I had shocking nausea even on the smallest dose)

I have been taking this fertility blend for the past month.
I was just wondering if I could take inositol along side these?

So far so good, I have had 2 periods since taking these which is the unknown for me! There was only 3 week between them but it’s still a huge improvement to my normal cycle.
Sorry about TMI 🙄 just wanted to share my experience 😃
Just had a look at it, I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t take inositol alongside.

I was taking - zita west vitafem 1 and vitafem 2, inositol, ubiquinol, vitamin d and omega 3. And had a vitamin c drink every day.

Last edited:
  • Heart
This topic is one I've been following but I'm in a REAL conundrum here because I also have gastroparesis and possible POTS, so literally with the GP I can only eat starches/ sugar with a sprinkling of lean meats and mushy green beans or else I have spells and am very sick. So Idk how on Earth I'm ever going to get my PCOS in order.

I know this is about meds and not diet but has anyone tried evening primrose oil in capsules for the cysts? I've been told to but I'm nervous for some reason.

Well I got pregnant (with IVF) so that was my main benefit 😊

I don’t have diagnosed PCOS just some markers of it when they did scans etc, so I took it Incase my blood sugars were affecting my hormones which in turn would affect egg quality.

For those hoping to be prescribed metformin, Inositol does much the same job only without the side effects (I had shocking nausea even on the smallest dose)

Just had a look at it, I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t take inositol alongside.

I was taking - zita west vitafem 1 and vitafem 2, inositol, ubiquinol, vitamin d and omega 3. And had a vitamin c drink every day.

Thanks. Do you know how many mg you took? 😃

Thanks. Do you know how many mg you took? 😃
I used the zita west one and just took the recommended dose that was on the packet, I think it was like 1 heaped teaspoon or something but I can’t remember how many mg that was x

• Heart
This topic is one I've been following but I'm in a REAL conundrum here because I also have gastroparesis and possible POTS, so literally with the GP I can only eat starches/ sugar with a sprinkling of lean meats and mushy green beans or else I have spells and am very sick. So Idk how on Earth I'm ever going to get my PCOS in order.

I know this is about meds and not diet but has anyone tried evening primrose oil in capsules for the cysts? I've been told to but I'm nervous for some reason.
I think it's hard enough having PCOS without another health condition as well. I have diverticular disease and PCOS. I got conflicting diet advice and so asked my GP to refer me to a dietician. They did and I'm waiting for my first appointment now. Might be worth doing the same?

I've not tried Evening Primrose Oil and not heard of it being used in PCOS but will look into it.

For those who've struggled with Metformin, I couldn't tolerate the normal tablets at all. My GP had to clear it with the commissioners but eventually prescribed the modified release version which is much easier on the stomach. I think it varies by area in terms of whether they're willing to fund it but it's definitely worth making a case for trying the modified version.

Does anyone have any advice regarding caffeine?
I also suffer from ME so I’m always tired and use caffeine to keep me going 😤
I’ve read all different things about it but what do you guys think/advise?
My husband is also an absolute caffeine addict and I know it’s bad for his fertility too 😬

I reduced my caffeine drastically for IVF but tbh it was more that i quit Diet Coke because of the additives, so therefore had less caffeine x

Does anyone get random spells once in a blue moon of extreme exhaustion? Right now I’m so tired. Which makes me want sooo desperately to eat crap food and be lazy (which I’m forcing myself not to do). Honestly stood against the shower wall at 7.30pm the other night with my eyes shut and could literally have fallen asleep there.

Does anyone get random spells once in a blue moon of extreme exhaustion? Right now I’m so tired. Which makes me want sooo desperately to eat crap food and be lazy (which I’m forcing myself not to do). Honestly stood against the shower wall at 7.30pm the other night with my eyes shut and could literally have fallen asleep there.

Yep all the time!!
I suffer with another condition too but I can 1000% relate to feeling like this!
So annoying 😑