Parole (BBC)

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
But of a sad episode this week. I thought the situation with Ruben’s officer never actually spending any time with him was really appalling. Officers in previous episodes have seemed really involved. The system is totally broken if the workload is too high for people to do their jobs properly. And it sounds like the story of his offence wasn’t really explored at all on screen, which is unusual.

Tom’s mum seemed lovely and so dedicated, which is exactly what a lot of these offenders have been lacking. But there’s a limit to what she can do to help. I think @Warpaint is right and that he was on the fringes anyway.

As for Mark, he obviously had a lot of cognitive issues and I don’t think ADHD was the full story. Possibly a mild learning disability, or foetal alcohol syndrome? I think FASD is really under-diagnosed and overlaps with so many other conditions, it gets missed. Getting recalled after 24 hours… what a mess. Also noticed he was wearing gloves a lot?

Reactions: 11
But of a sad episode this week. I thought the situation with Ruben’s officer never actually spending any time with him was really appalling. Officers in previous episodes have seemed really involved. The system is totally broken if the workload is too high for people to do their jobs properly. And it sounds like the story of his offence wasn’t really explored at all on screen, which is unusual.
When the Chair started asking about the COMs contact with Ruben and she said she hadn’t had the chance to discuss his offending with him😬

It must be really hard managing two caseloads but you can’t turn up to a Hearing having not done your work!

Reactions: 5
I can’t see Mark managing to live and function as a law abiding adult. He seems like a child himself - that whole plan about dressing up as Santa seemed very childlike to me - and his speech and demeanour. He’s able to function in a very regimented prison environment but would clearly struggle with that structure. He couldn’t even make 24hrs of freedom ffs!

Reactions: 12
I can’t see Mark managing to live and function as a law abiding adult. He seems like a child himself - that whole plan about dressing up as Santa seemed very childlike to me - and his speech and demeanour. He’s able to function in a very regimented prison environment but would clearly struggle with that structure. He couldn’t even make 24hrs of freedom ffs!
Do people like that not need support rather than prison? I dont know...

Reactions: 3
probably, mental health provision is underfunded, the whole prison and parole system is under invested ... And as we’ve seen in this series - abused children can turn into violent adults if left uncared for. And so the depressing cycle continues.

Reactions: 12
Of course they do, but the problem is, that support doesn’t exist. It doesn’t exist for kids like Mark (and I have no doubt at all that he was a chaotic, impulsive, out of control kid) and it definitely doesn’t exist for adults. Not only that, but I think his issues go far deeper than ADHD, but ADHD is the only diagnosis he has. He’s been failed along the way, but so have thousands of others in prison.

I can’t even imagine what sort of community support package could be put together for someone like Mark, that isn’t better (or cheaper) than prison. That’s the brutal truth. He needs the structure and he needs to be prevented from making impulsive choices, especially if they lead to violence and/or threats to kill.

Reactions: 8
When the Chair started asking about the COMs contact with Ruben and she said she hadn’t had the chance to discuss his offending with him😬

It must be really hard managing two caseloads but you can’t turn up to a Hearing having not done your work!
I found myself applauding that Chair. Good on her for not shying away from the matter

Reactions: 7
Didn't the COM say something along the lines of him being reluctant to discuss certain matters & he wanted to talk about his girlfriend & home life instead? Couldn't believe my ears! She was supposed to be managing the discussion, tell him what needed to be focused on with his hearing coming up, & if not, the possible repercussions. She wasn't supposed to be having a friendly chat & cup of tea! (Sure it's not as simple as that, but she definitely should have managed her interactions with him better).

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Didn't the COM say something along the lines of him being reluctant to discuss certain matters & he wanted to talk about his girlfriend & home life instead? Couldn't believe my ears! She was supposed to be managing the discussion, tell him what needed to be focused on with his hearing coming up, & if not, the possible repercussions. She wasn't supposed to be having a friendly chat & cup of tea! (Sure it's not as simple as that, but she definitely should have managed her interactions with him better).
She certainly sounded as if she was attempting to deflect blame

Reactions: 5
Has this weeks episode been cancelled ? I think it was supposed to be the final episode
Just had a look and all the TV listings sites has it down as a five part series so I wonder why it’s been cancelled or recalled. A legal issue maybe?

Reactions: 1
I hope they make another series. I really enjoyed it , interesting to be able to see things that aren’t usually open to us - unless you’re attending 😁

Reactions: 7
There was a good series on a few years ago about Probation officers which was kind of similar. It was a lot darker though as they'd often get violent in the office, commit various offences whilst on probation, look up and stalk the probation officers on facebook.

Reactions: 3
There was a good series on a few years ago about Probation officers which was kind of similar. It was a lot darker though as they'd often get violent in the office, commit various offences whilst on probation, look up and stalk the probation officers on facebook.
What was it called? Sounds like one for me 😁

Reactions: 2