Parole (BBC)

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thought episode 3 was good and I warmed to both people. Jon seemed sincere and, although I thought of chances of him being recalled were really high, even I was surprised that things fell apart so quickly. I doubt he is going to make a life outside of prison. He’s too institutionalised.

Bethany seemed primarily like a woman whose main issues were mental illness and self-destructive urges that just happened to infringe public safety. Maybe it’s a blessing that it did, because she got to take advantage of the full support of prison life as opposed to mental health treatment in the community or in units which, arguably, would have worked out worse for her.

I couldn’t help googling her name to read stories about her offending, and came across a story in the DM about her adoptive father who went to prison for sexually abusing a girl at the school he taught at. I felt even sadder for her then. So much trauma and instability in her life.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
Thought episode 3 was good and I warmed to both people. Jon seemed sincere and, although I thought of chances of him being recalled were really high, even I was surprised that things fell apart so quickly. I doubt he is going to make a life outside of prison. He’s too institutionalised.

Bethany seemed primarily like a woman whose main issues were mental illness and self-destructive urges that just happened to infringe public safety. Maybe it’s a blessing that it did, because she got to take advantage of the full support of prison life as opposed to mental health treatment in the community or in units which, arguably, would have worked out worse for her.

I couldn’t help googling her name to read stories about her offending, and came across a story in the DM about her adoptive father who went to prison for sexually abusing a girl at the school he taught at. I felt even sadder for her then. So much trauma and instability in her life.
I do wonder if at some point in her life,if she was also abused. She had severe psychiatric issues which manifested in self destructive/self harming behaviour. I know she mentioned issues as a child,but I got the feeling there was something she was in denial about and by acknowledging it would make it real,hence all the behaviours that would dull/numb her pain. She reminds me of a patient I've worked with in the past

Reactions: 9
I do wonder if at some point in her life,if she was also abused. She had severe psychiatric issues which manifested in self destructive/self harming behaviour. I know she mentioned issues as a child,but I got the feeling there was something she was in denial about and by acknowledging it would make it real,hence all the behaviours that would dull/numb her pain. She reminds me of a patient I've worked with in the past
It’s certainly a possibility given her dad’s crimes, but equally the trauma of being harmed/neglected by her birth parents, removed from their care, put into foster care, and then moving to her adoptive family, all by the age of 3, must be huge. Not to mention all the complicated emotions around being adopted, and possible hereditary MH issues.

I wasn’t surprised that she was so disturbed even without the details about her dad.

This series really brings home how many prisoners come from the care system.

Reactions: 10
It’s certainly a possibility given her dad’s crimes, but equally the trauma of being harmed/neglected by her birth parents, removed from their care, put into foster care, and then moving to her adoptive family, all by the age of 3, must be huge. Not to mention all the complicated emotions around being adopted, and possible hereditary MH issues.

I wasn’t surprised that she was so disturbed even without the details about her dad.

This series really brings home how many prisoners come from the care system.

People who have been through trauma are more likely to have ADHD type symptoms and riskier behaviours. An awful lot of people in prison have undiagnosed neurodiversity and have self medicated with drugs/alcohol etc and got into trouble.

Reactions: 4
In each episode its so clear the affect adverse childhood events have through to adulthood

Reactions: 16
This weeks episode made me feel very sad 😞
If more money was ploughed into mental health services and child protection we wouldn’t need to spend so much money locking people up

Reactions: 13
I absolutely agree. She appears very willing to disclose alcohol use almost as a cover. I truly hope she is now doing well outside of prison - her foster mother seems lovely and I hope she will, under the right guidance, find some solidity about life

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
I didn't think the girl would make it last week but at least she lasted longer than the other guy! You could tell he was just saying all the right things.

Reactions: 3
I couldn’t believe how many of them relapsed with drink or drugs again while in the hostels, three people in three episodes ended up back inside because of it, surely there’s something not right there?

Reactions: 8
I love the format and it's a truly thought provoking show. A real representation of things we choose not to look at often.

The CJS is flawed in lots of ways.

Reactions: 4
I couldn’t believe how many of them relapsed with drink or drugs again while in the hostels, three people in three episodes ended up back inside because of it, surely there’s something not right there?
I thought this too. Surely there should be more supervision or some extra support to try and prevent this from happening? Can’t they go back to their home rather than a hostel afterwards? I know in some situations it might not be appropriate but for the girl she ended up going back to her mums after the hostel and she was clearly a good influence and support so you’d think she would be better there to start with!

Reactions: 6
Just watched episode 4

I really felt for Tom’s (second guy) mum, she retrained and changed her whole life so she could help him beat his addiction. I really hope he does come out the other side!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
@GlassOfBeans I agree with you!

Part of me did wonder if Tom was saying what he thought the parole board wanted to hear. Such a shame he only lasted 3 weeks, I hope he gets the help he needs. The cynic in me wonders if it confirms the hypno stuff is bollocks 🤨 I don’t know anything about it, maybe it can help. His poor mum as she did so want to help him. I did find them both unemotional when he said he was getting out.

@GlassOfBeans I agree with you!

Part of me did wonder if Tom was saying what he thought the parole board wanted to hear. Such a shame he only lasted 3 weeks, I hope he gets the help he needs. The cynic in me wonders if it confirms the hypno stuff is bollocks 🤨 I don’t know anything about it, maybe it can help. His poor mum as she did so want to help him. I did find them both unemotional when he said he was getting out.
Oh maybe you are right, I didn’t think of that! It was a shame that he only lasted three weeks but I think it was the right decision not to recall him again, seems like he’s got a long road ahead… IF he wants to change. I don’t know anything about the hypno stuff but he should realise how lucky he is to have support from a mum who won’t give up on him. Same with the girl from the 3rd episode, I hope she changes for her mum!

Reactions: 3
I don't think that guy in Leeds will ever stay out for long - all sorts going on there.

That Rueben was a very violent guy - I think it will take him a few more tries for him. I'm sure the parole board has heard 'this woman has changed my life for the better' spiel plenty of times. They seemed a really odd couple as well.

The Tom was guy was a weird one - bored at work so woke up and decided to be a drug dealer. I'm almost certain he must have been on the fringes anyway beforehand.

I don't think that guy in Leeds will ever stay out for long - all sorts going on there.
the way he constantly tried to minimise what he had actually done. You could tell how he reacted when he got his letter that he was still prone to being volatile when things didnt go the way he wanted

• Heart
the way he constantly tried to minimise what he had actually done. You could tell how he reacted when he got his letter that he was still prone to being volatile when things didnt go the way he wanted
Absolutely. I said to my husband as the guy reacted, "and that's why". He is the sort of person who could start a fight in an empty room.

He came across as quite mentally immature,he didnt quite understand the severity of what he did. He clearly would only comply with his ADHD medication while in custody because someone else was checking he took it,unsupervised hes probably like a petulant child who will only fo what he wants