Parkrunners, assemble!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh there are loads of run wankers at our local one. Mainly from the local athletics and triathlon clubs. They run the course in about twenty minutes and then do it again to get a 10k and then run back to the car park. It’s best to just let them get on with it. Most people are nice though.
A few events near me had to ask those types to stay out of everyone's way in the future. They'd be blasting round in 18 mins shrieking at everyone to keep left/right, then running round the course backwards and blocking the path for everyone else trying to enjoy their run. One once got in my way near the finish funnel and I could have hissed at him.

Reactions: 4
On the subject of unhinged parkrun tourism, last summer (I’m sure I screenshotted it but now can’t find it) I saw a post of a woman who hadnt realised the parkrun in Cyprus was on a closed military base, had booked to stay as near to it and found out two weeks before she couldn’t do it and was genuinely considering cancelling her and her families (no one else was a parkrunner) holiday and trying to get a last minute deal somewhere with one…
Batshit.

I like parkrun and like touring and doing lots of different parkruns. I hate “tourists” the same day return flights to Poland, ignoring requests to not go to a parkrun because of one of the dumb ass number sequences. Environmentally horrible and so selfish.

I used to RD and stopped for a number of reasons but people being absolute twats was high up there, I had two worst offender groups.
1) as someone said before, middle aged middle of the pack men. Always rude, never volunteered.

2) also always rude and never volunteer, a particular brand of tourists: slightly larger women in tikiboo skorts, always with camel packs, who take about 45 minutes, always running in a group on a three lapped course which gets narrow and being bloody dickheads about being asked to keep right.We didn’t have toilets at our parkrun, there were some in the park that the council didn’t open till later in the morning made VERY CLEAR in the course description and I had one woman of the above description literally have a tantrum because I couldn’t open it for her.
They were always also the ones who emailed into complain that the barcode scanner wasn’t super cheery, or the marshal was too cheery and it was patronising (both genuine complaints).

argh
(Not aimed at you)

I've noticed a lot of people complaining about those of us who will organise a group to go a parkrun but no one seems to have an issue with the two (that I know of) who have constantly been touring for the last 10 odd years plus. I remember a parkrun saying one of those men are visiting and they'd (the parkrun) be disappointed to cancel due to lack of volunteers.

I often Jeff and am usually faster that way plus less tired at the end, it’s weird how it works
A bit off topic but how do you decide how you split your jeff (I'm assuming you mean run walk strategy by Jeff).
I tried doing his programme for 10k on garmin watch. There would often be a long period where he would say to run/walk but not give specifics. That led me to running til tired then walking a bit then trying to run again. But never really ended up being that efficient. I don't know if it would have worked better to do a fixed thing like 3 run 1 walk etc

(Not aimed at you)

I've noticed a lot of people complaining about those of us who will organise a group to go a parkrun but no one seems to have an issue with the two (that I know of) who have constantly been touring for the last 10 odd years plus. I remember a parkrun saying one of those men are visiting and they'd (the parkrun) be disappointed to cancel due to lack of volunteers.
Are we talking about DN again? 😂

(Not aimed at you)

For me with the groups, it's mainly thinking of the impact the inflated numbers have on the event team. I saw that Bicester parkrun ran out of finish tokens this week because there were a vegan runners group visit with a far higher turn out than anyone was expecting.

On the two individuals, would I find them on the top of the most events list? Depressing that whoever it is is treated like royalty.

I’m on a very very very very slow return to running (still pretty much walking) and mine has been pretty good for walkers, but it is bigger so there’s a fair time spread. There’s generally two groups of walkers, slower (closer to the tail Walker) and a bit faster. Interestingly the last few months we’ve got a group who Jeff and each week they ask in the announcements if people want to join them. When I’m up to running a bit more I’m definitely doing that.
Definitely give it a go! I Jeff nearly all my runs now. I’m only a little faster over a 5k distance but I’m definitely much less tired! Jeffed a 10k last year and was 4 minutes faster than the year before when I tried to straight run it.

A bit off topic but how do you decide how you split your jeff (I'm assuming you mean run walk strategy by Jeff).
I tried doing his programme for 10k on garmin watch. There would often be a long period where he would say to run/walk but not give specifics. That led me to running til tired then walking a bit then trying to run again. But never really ended up being that efficient. I don't know if it would have worked better to do a fixed thing like 3 run 1 walk etc
Officially it’s supposed to be based on your pace but really it’s personal comfort. I do 30/30 and it suits me and if my watch is set to those intervals I can choose to run through a walk break if I feel good. There’s an official chart I’ll try and find it but you should be taking your walk break way before you get tired and need to walk.

Reactions: 3
Officially it’s supposed to be based on your pace but really it’s personal comfort. I do 30/30 and it suits me and if my watch is set to those intervals I can choose to run through a walk break if I feel good. There’s an official chart I’ll try and find it but you should be taking your walk break way before you get tired and need to walk.
I tried a few different ratios to see what felt best and tend to do 90 secs running with 30 sec recovery but will do 60/30 if I’m more tired. Keeps a nice low HR and never get tired but have been accused of cheating by other runners who think it’s only running if you do it continuously. I do mix it round a bit sometimes on hills though

My issue is with groups turning up with no warning, or when a running club brought nearly 80 extra runners… an email the night before. Does it really hurt to email a week before so we know that’s not a week we can do with a skeleton crew?
---
I would also add my issue with the group mentioned was usually small groups of a certain type of tourist, slightly older, slower than average, slightly larger women, ALWAYS in tikiboo (does it make you behave like a moron?) who were with remarkable frequency, rude to volunteers, sent weird complaints in (see barcode scanner wasn’t cheery, marshal was patronising), and insisted on running four abreast regardless of other runners or park users

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
Parkrun is meant to be inclusive of ALL runners.

My issue is that slow runners have a problem with speedy runners (moan that they are too fast at the end/complain that people ask them to stay to the left)

Also fast runners moan that plodders are in the way coz they won’t keep to the left

I can see both sides…

Why can’t we all just get along 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 10
On Freyne - I recall something in a Facebook group implying there had been some unsavoury behaviour uncovered from him. Could be mistaken? Can’t find it on a quick search.

Reactions: 1
For me with the groups, it's mainly thinking of the impact the inflated numbers have on the event team. I saw that Bicester parkrun ran out of finish tokens this week because there were a vegan runners group visit with a far higher turn out than anyone was expecting.

On the two individuals, would I find them on the top of the most events list? Depressing that whoever it is is treated like royalty.
They both have the initials PF.

With Inis Meain the team knew we were coming.

Aww man my summer holiday wasn't planned around whether there was a parkrun locally...I'd best cancel :ROFLMAO:
I actually do this - partly because there's one i want to do in Scotland but can't justify traveling that far just for a parkrun.

Reactions: 1
On the subject of unhinged parkrun tourism, last summer (I’m sure I screenshotted it but now can’t find it) I saw a post of a woman who hadnt realised the parkrun in Cyprus was on a closed military base, had booked to stay as near to it and found out two weeks before she couldn’t do it and was genuinely considering cancelling her and her families (no one else was a parkrunner) holiday and trying to get a last minute deal somewhere with one…
Batshit.

I like parkrun and like touring and doing lots of different parkruns. I hate “tourists” the same day return flights to Poland, ignoring requests to not go to a parkrun because of one of the dumb ass number sequences. Environmentally horrible and so selfish.

I used to RD and stopped for a number of reasons but people being absolute twats was high up there, I had two worst offender groups.
1) as someone said before, middle aged middle of the pack men. Always rude, never volunteered.

2) also always rude and never volunteer, a particular brand of tourists: slightly larger women in tikiboo skorts, always with camel packs, who take about 45 minutes, always running in a group on a three lapped course which gets narrow and being bloody dickheads about being asked to keep right.We didn’t have toilets at our parkrun, there were some in the park that the council didn’t open till later in the morning made VERY CLEAR in the course description and I had one woman of the above description literally have a tantrum because I couldn’t open it for her.
They were always also the ones who emailed into complain that the barcode scanner wasn’t super cheery, or the marshal was too cheery and it was patronising (both genuine complaints).

argh
I feel like point 2 describes my local parkrun 🤣

I actually do this - partly because there's one i want to do in Scotland but can't justify traveling that far just for a parkrun.
I think that's fine, I think considering cancelling because you've discovered you can't do the one that's there as mentioned in this thread is a bit OTT :)

I've just strolled from town with a heavy bag of shopping at 18 minutes a mile, so I do understand why volunteers are pissed off standing in the rain for 1 hour 15 minutes.

• Haha
I've just strolled from town with a heavy bag of shopping at 18 minutes a mile, so I do understand why volunteers are pissed off standing in the rain for 1 hour 15 minutes.
Our tailwalker took 20 mins longer than the last finisher today… irritating is an understatement.

• Wow
Reactions: 5