Parkrunners, assemble!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I am not fast so course record is only of passing interest. I like to get my age grading in the email, and where I came in the event against others in the same group. I don't think the changes have done anything to address these sex based age gradings will be wrongly skewed if the database includes male runners in the female category. It is (possibly) only a small number now but who knows?

Reactions: 3
There are over 150 female course records held by males, and that’s without taking into account the many more finish positions taken by males. That’s why it matters. Not that this action does anything about that fact, it just hides it a bit.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 11
I’m probably in the minority and prepared to be shot down but I am in support of these changes. Parkrun. Own is so different to parkrun when it started, where it felt much more like an inclusive and supportive community, where people did get out their super shoes and elbow one another to start at the front, and where it was more about f a run than a race. Now it’s all GoPros and super shoes and infighting. It doesn’t feel a nice community anymore. I’m not sure these changes will make a huge difference to this, but if it means other people can feel included and trans people feel more able to participate without hounding and judgement, why not? If you want to do a 5k race, there are enough of them around. And if it stops all the tourism and crazy travel, then that’s great for the planet too.

Reactions: 7
I’m probably in the minority and prepared to be shot down but I am in support of these changes. Parkrun. Own is so different to parkrun when it started, where it felt much more like an inclusive and supportive community, where people did get out their super shoes and elbow one another to start at the front, and where it was more about f a run than a race. Now it’s all GoPros and super shoes and infighting. It doesn’t feel a nice community anymore. I’m not sure these changes will make a huge difference to this, but if it means other people can feel included and trans people feel more able to participate without hounding and judgement, why not? If you want to do a 5k race, there are enough of them around. And if it stops all the tourism and crazy travel, then that’s great for the planet too.
I don’t disagree with some of your points - parkrun has definitely lost something to me as it has grown and is so different to what it was when I first started about 13/14 years ago. If it really is a run not a race, then all public facing times should go. All public and private finishing positions should also go. Including on the event page. Just a text/email to the individual of their time and that is it. For me the changes don’t go far enough. At most, parkrun should be a race against yourself, and focus on the participation and community.

I will disagree about your comment about trans people. Nothing is stopping them participating. There are multiple categories they can select if they do not want one that aligns with their sex (prefer not to say and non-binary in most countries). They should just not be able to run in the category of the opposite sex, against biological fact, and have males taking away the times/placings of females.

People wouldn’t like it if I registered my age as 80+ to get a better placing and records, so why should it apply in any other case?

Remove all the places/results completely and it solves the problem. Register as what you want because it doesn’t impact anyone else then.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
I don’t disagree with some of your points - parkrun has definitely lost something to me as it has grown and is so different to what it was when I first started about 13/14 years ago. If it really is a run not a race, then all public facing times should go. All public and private finishing positions should also go. Including on the event page. Just a text/email to the individual of their time and that is it. For me the changes don’t go far enough. At most, parkrun should be a race against yourself, and focus on the participation and community.

I will disagree about your comment about trans people. Nothing is stopping them participating. There are multiple categories they can select if they do not want one that aligns with their sex (prefer not to say and non-binary in most countries). They should just not be able to run in the category of the opposite sex, against biological fact, and have males taking away the times/placings of females.

People wouldn’t like it if I registered my age as 80+ to get a better placing and records, so why should it apply in any other case?

Remove all the places/results completely and it solves the problem. Register as what you want because it doesn’t impact anyone else then.
I completely agree with everything you’ve written.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I'm just trying to figure out how a course record being published would put someone off coming to parkrun? Is that the main motivation around doing it? As a sport, I do find running quite inclusive, not just parkrun. The fast times are inspirational!
Exactly, and if records/stats trigger the individual runner surely they have the option not to check them after the run? My family run (I don't) and they are sad because my mum found she was being motivated by creeping up the finishing places and improving in her age and sex category. She'll still go but some of the motivation has gone. A lot of people like metrics. My brother also runs and loves adding his stats to his spreadsheet so he can geek out on trends, patterns and see where he can improve. It literally gets him out the house on a Saturday morning. Yet again an organisation has bowed down/wimped out to appease a vocal tiny minority and pisses off the majority in the process. Idiots.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
It's fair to say that this change is little to do with people being triggered by the fast finishers.

Reactions: 9
Does anyone know of a parkrun which has moved location? Ie they are still in the same town but moved to a new area and course?
(Doing a bit of research for an event director who is considering moving an event to a different location but in the same area)
I don’t think this is quite what you’re asking but Horsham Parkrun is in Horsham park in the summer and Southwater park in the winter but still named Horsham parkrun.

Reactions: 1
It's fair to say that this change is little to do with people being triggered by the fast finishers.
I'd go as far as to say nothing to do with.
I'm not adverse to the changes but hiding the real reason us cowardly. Parkrun know the tide is well and truly turning regarding men pretending to be women, that's why these changes are happening now

Reactions: 15