Parkrunners, assemble!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thanks for this thread. I am relatively new to running and my 5k is sllllooooowwww. I keep feeling like I should try park run but I'm embarrassed to. But this thread has shown me I'm not missing much!
My mum does parkrun, she's asthmatic so she essentially began with powerwalks with short bursts of running. She says there were plenty others at the beginning of their running journey and plenty of people finished after her. She started off taking 42 mins to power walk it, has been doing it a year and can now actually run and get 31 mins consistently. Not everyone who goes does it quickly. Everyone has different health conditions and age so you should only compare your own time to your average.

I don't run myself yet (I've never liked the sensation of running), but I must admit my mum's success is tempting me to try... 🤔

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Christmas parkrun, or new year, is the main one I do 😆 we have other sporting activities Saturdays which mean I don't do it much.
Haven't they stopped the double now by saying they all have to be at 9? We spent one new year morning we queuing to get into the carpark at Haldon Forest. It was rammed with people trying to do the double.
Yeah, they got shot of it year before last, I believe due to the numbers. I never did the double run because I didn't have a car, but I volunteered at the last 10.30 one and the course (3 laps of a park) was rammed with double the usual amount of runners and we couldn't get people out of the funnel quick enough. The locals who were just out for their usual dog walk and didn't realise it would be on were not impressed.

Good riddance to it, it was a nightmare to organise.

Reactions: 4
Omg I can't believe I've found my people!! I'm so happy!
I actually hate running now but I used to be a fairly keen runner. I did parkrun about 5 times, my last one was local to me and I came last 😂 I was really embarrassed, I know that it's apparently "not the point" of parkrun but I felt pretty crappy about myself so stopped going. That's not the only reason, I just think it's becoming an elite event where before it supposedly isn't about times, when it clearly is. Totally agree with the comments about parkrun becoming a personality trait. They're really clichey events as well and I don't find them friendly and welcoming. It's fast becoming a cult for smug morons.

Reactions: 7
Omg I can't believe I've found my people!! I'm so happy!
I actually hate running now but I used to be a fairly keen runner. I did parkrun about 5 times, my last one was local to me and I came last 😂 I was really embarrassed, I know that it's apparently "not the point" of parkrun but I felt pretty crappy about myself so stopped going. That's not the only reason, I just think it's becoming an elite event where before it supposedly isn't about times, when it clearly is. Totally agree with the comments about parkrun becoming a personality trait. They're really clichey events as well and I don't find them friendly and welcoming. It's fast becoming a cult for smug morons.
Interesting you say that about the elite event and the times. Parkrun have made (sometimes controversial) moves to include walkers and the average time overall has become slower over the years. I think it depends on the event- my town has many running clubs so there are a lot of fast runners at my local parkrun. We do get walkers, too so the course can be quite difficult to navigate when you're trying to give faster runners room to get round you, but also overtaking slower runners and locals going about their business.

I saw a man elbow a woman in a pushchair out of the way a few months back, so I can understand people who aren't in the top finishers feeling alienated. The events team tend to dismantle the finish area as the last finishers are coming in so it definitely feels different to come in at the end.

• Wow
Reactions: 5
I’m not a Parkrun fan personally and agree with the cliquey comments. It’s hilarious how it’s “not a race” but it so clearly is - all the people boasting about how they came first in their age group.
I’ve had a few rows with marshalls who put on a cheap bit of high vis and think they own the bleeping place.

I hate parkrun, my daughter who’s a sub 20 5k runner was told to start further back by a man.
Her friend was trampled when she slipped rather than helped up.
And the wearing of hydration vests in winter 😂 😆

edited as posted before finished

• Wow
Reactions: 9
I’m not a Parkrun fan personally and agree with the cliquey comments. It’s hilarious how it’s “not a race” but it so clearly is - all the people boasting about how they came first in their age group.
I’ve had a few rows with marshalls who put on a cheap bit of high vis and think they own the bleeping place.
I know someone else who runs in parkrun and they once had a row with a marshall apparently 🙈 I'm thinking, dude, it's not that serious, just get some exercise and calm down 😂

Reactions: 2
Interesting you say that about the elite event and the times. Parkrun have made (sometimes controversial) moves to include walkers and the average time overall has become slower over the years. I think it depends on the event- my town has many running clubs so there are a lot of fast runners at my local parkrun. We do get walkers, too so the course can be quite difficult to navigate when you're trying to give faster runners room to get round you, but also overtaking slower runners and locals going about their business.

I saw a man elbow a woman in a pushchair out of the way a few months back, so I can understand people who aren't in the top finishers feeling alienated. The events team tend to dismantle the finish area as the last finishers are coming in so it definitely feels different to come in at the end.
That's what happened to me. There was someone playing the drums who did the same, and the main 'parkrun' banner had been taken down when I finished. My time was around 43 minutes too, so slow yes, but hardly a snail's pace. What compounded things slightly was I expressed my disappointment about this in a parkrun group and got mocked and laughed at for being sensitive. It all compounded my feelings to be honest. Any time anyone tries to speak critically of parkrun they get piled on as well, it's like no one can possibly say anything negative!

• Sad
  • Heart
I have mixed feelings about parkrun. I find it’s a great way to motivate myself to get out there and run a 5k, but then the competitiveness and moaning and cliquey-ness does put me off 😂

Another reason I avoid parkrun is this. I don't like the clichey feeling, but by that same token I'm also very much a loner when it comes to fitness. These replies were in response to the question 'what makes you feel welcome at parkrun' - errrr, please leave me alone. I don't want to be interrogated please.

Attachments

I have mixed feelings about parkrun. Some people, as with anything, take it WAY too seriously. But my local parkrun is really friendly, the event directors are nice, occasionally you get people turning up to try and get the course record as it's one of the flattest ones in the country, but even the super fast people at the front are really nice and approachable. Maybe it helps as I know most of them from my running club, not sure. Guess the experience varies depending on the people doesn't it. We do get a lot of people walking too and the funnel is never taken down til the last person finishes.

Reactions: 8
Christmas parkrun, or new year, is the main one I do 😆 we have other sporting activities Saturdays which mean I don't do it much.
Haven't they stopped the double now by saying they all have to be at 9? We spent one new year morning we queuing to get into the carpark at Haldon Forest. It was rammed with people trying to do the double.
My other half has a real bug bear about the organisation behind parkrun and the rules they issue, the trans thing, the sun newspaper executive they appointed, the dogs on leads not harnesses....
What trans thing? Genuine question, if you don't mind replying.

Reactions: 1
What trans thing? Genuine question, if you don't mind replying.
I think it’s about the thing that was in the media last month or so where the course record for a woman was set by a transgender person (male to female), and parkrun let it stand

• Angry
Reactions: 6
My other half has a real bug bear about the organisation behind parkrun and the rules they issue, the trans thing, the sun newspaper executive they appointed, the dogs on leads not harnesses....
Same, not because I do other activities but because it's the one day of the year (pre-baby) when I feel good about getting up early (i.e. before 8am on a Saturday) :D

We're going to enter the world of buggy running at parkrun soon. We're very casual parkrunners, once every few months if we can be arsed. Since baby has come along we've been twice I think (he's 5 months now). If he enjoys buggy running and his naps/sleep schedule fits it we might up the frequency when he's old enough but if I'm honest I hate our local buggy appropriate course and the other ones round here are not buggy friendly.
---
My mum does parkrun, she's asthmatic so she essentially began with powerwalks with short bursts of running. She says there were plenty others at the beginning of their running journey and plenty of people finished after her. She started off taking 42 mins to power walk it, has been doing it a year and can now actually run and get 31 mins consistently. Not everyone who goes does it quickly. Everyone has different health conditions and age so you should only compare your own time to your average.

I don't run myself yet (I've never liked the sensation of running), but I must admit my mum's success is tempting me to try... 🤔
Bloody hell, 42 minutes to walk a 5k? Sign your mum up to race walking! I can barely run a 5k in 40 minutes at the moment!

Ohh I’ve been waiting for this thread! I personally like parkrun and I’m lucky enough to have a few where we live. I like to run down, do parkrun and then run home so I’ve done a longish run without having to think of a route. However I don’t really push myself to go as fast as I probably could and enjoy having a chat with people from my running club while I’m there.

The faster people who take it so seriously do really bother me though, especially those who you see on the results have done a several hundred runs and have never volunteered or did it once back in 2016. I think if you’re gonna run it that often the least you can do is volunteer even if it’s just 2 or 3 times a year. An event close to me which regularly has 500+ people attend had to cancel recently because they couldn’t get enough volunteers which I think is a pretty poor show

There’s loads else I could say but that’s my two penneth for now! 😂

Reactions: 8
Same, not because I do other activities but because it's the one day of the year (pre-baby) when I feel good about getting up early (i.e. before 8am on a Saturday) :D

We're going to enter the world of buggy running at parkrun soon. We're very casual parkrunners, once every few months if we can be arsed. Since baby has come along we've been twice I think (he's 5 months now). If he enjoys buggy running and his naps/sleep schedule fits it we might up the frequency when he's old enough but if I'm honest I hate our local buggy appropriate course and the other ones round here are not buggy friendly.
---

Bloody hell, 42 minutes to walk a 5k? Sign your mum up to race walking! I can barely run a 5k in 40 minutes at the moment!
Yeah I also can’t get under 40 minutes running it. I don’t want to be overtaken by walkers… I’ll stick to solo jogging

Reactions: 3
Yeah I also can’t get under 40 minutes running it. I don’t want to be overtaken by walkers… I’ll stick to solo jogging
I wouldn't worry. I've never seen it and I'm not disputing @emmer_moans 's mums ability but average walking speed is around 20 minutes per mile, 42 minutes for a 5k is 13:30 minutes per mile so she is super super speedy and an exception!

Our local parkrun has people who take well over an hour to finish. Check the results of your local one and see what the finish times look like - if the last person came home in under 45 minutes maybe it's not for you, but if you're seeing 55/60 minutes then it will probably be a fun experience to try :)

Reactions: 5
Ohh I’ve been waiting for this thread! I personally like parkrun and I’m lucky enough to have a few where we live. I like to run down, do parkrun and then run home so I’ve done a longish run without having to think of a route. However I don’t really push myself to go as fast as I probably could and enjoy having a chat with people from my running club while I’m there.

The faster people who take it so seriously do really bother me though, especially those who you see on the results have done a several hundred runs and have never volunteered or did it once back in 2016. I think if you’re gonna run it that often the least you can do is volunteer even if it’s just 2 or 3 times a year. An event close to me which regularly has 500+ people attend had to cancel recently because they couldn’t get enough volunteers which I think is a pretty poor show

There’s loads else I could say but that’s my two penneth for now! 😂
Why should faster runners volunteer more than slower runners? As a naturally faster runner I feel unwelcome at parkrun. I think parkrun is anti-fast runners - walkers are definitely more welcome than us.

Parkrun isn’t inclusive at all. It’s cliquey and cult-like.

Reactions: 3
Why should faster runners volunteer more than slower runners? As a naturally faster runner I feel unwelcome at parkrun. I think parkrun is anti-fast runners - walkers are definitely more welcome than us.

Parkrun isn’t inclusive at all. It’s cliquey and cult-like.
TBH I don't agree with this mentality of everyone should feel they *have* to volunteer but equally everyone should be aware of how much time, effort and sacrifice goes into putting on the events and that if people don't volunteer, the events simply won't happen.

My OHs dad set up a parkrun before the pandemic, he left the lead team a couple of years ago because it was getting to the point where every week they struggled for volunteers and the same people would not run to fill the spots, but equally they had a large group of regulars who would turn up and complain that something was wrong after their run and never make any effort to help out - even for a quicker runner scanning in barcodes for half an hour after or something.