Parents of teenagers!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I asked and they said that they do go out . They dont think it's an issue to not go out for days on end. They've met with a friend this week.
Maybe they're just a house cat. I'm a bit the same. I don't need to be around people all the time and I'm quite happy when alone at home just doing my thing.

Reactions: 5
My son looks at me like he despises every single word what comes out of my mouth, I know the look well because I remember feeling the exact same way about my mum. Oh karma 😩

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Not trying to downplay parenting teenagers because FML it really is the most testing of times but parenting a neurodiverse teenager is a whole fresh circle of hell 🤯

• Heart
Happy to hear it’s not just my teen who’s an hole 🤣 he has amazing qualities too but I’m surprised I haven’t pulled my own hair out yet 😳🙈

Happy to hear it’s not just my teen who’s an hole 🤣 he has amazing qualities too but I’m surprised I haven’t pulled my own hair out yet 😳🙈
Do you have one extreme or the other no middle ground? Like who is this gobby moody person/sweet as pie (I have my daughter/son back). They can switch in a word. Was I this bad as a teen?! 😱😅

Reactions: 1
Do you have one extreme or the other no middle ground? Like who is this gobby moody person/sweet as pie (I have my daughter/son back). They can switch in a word. Was I this bad as a teen?! 😱😅
Definitely Jekyll and Hyde, I keep thinking he’s turning a corner then he turns into Kevin again 🤣 I was a little sod I must admit but it’s all coming back for me now 😳😬

Saw this thread title & had to pop my head in, I feel for you all now I’m on the other side of it, my eldest 2 are now 22 & 24.
I remember thinking when they were teenagers that I’d go back to the sleepless newborn stage or terrible twos in a flash because the teenage years are testing to say the least.
Pick your battles & try to keep communication open, they’re just stuck at a tricky age between being a kid & becoming adults full of raging hormones.
Mine are the loveliest adults now & we can laugh at some of the tit that went down years ago when they were tipping me over the edge. I wasn’t the easiest teenager & I feel bad for my dad when I think back.
I’ve got it all to come again as my youngest is 8 🤦🏼‍♀️🫣

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I’m just entering this stage with my twins, had to check myself as I told my daughter not to look at me like that, I invented that look! After she gave me proper side eye.

My OH said he’s taking up golf again to escape the hormones 😂

My 13 year old is always in her room on her phone. I can entice her out with food or to bake. She'll come and watch a quiz show with me as she likes them. But apart from that she just wants to go in her room on her phone. I dont know what to do or is that normal?

My 13 year old is always in her room on her phone. I can entice her out with food or to bake. She'll come and watch a quiz show with me as she likes them. But apart from that she just wants to go in her room on her phone. I dont know what to do or is that normal?
Sadly, yes I think it is for many teenagers. Mine are addicted to their phones, drives me mental.

Reactions: 3
I have no advice to give as I am not a parent, but I will say that I was an absolute lunatic between the ages of 13 and 17. My mum and I had the worst relationship and I am fully aware it was entirely my fault because I was such a little witch. We are the best of friends now. It does get better, I promise you! Your unruly teens will likely come to their senses and realise how awful they have been. I feel so guilty now that I was so awful to my poor mum!!

Yesterday my 2 dogs had a fight over food.. totally out of character. The little one is in season so I said it’s probably because she’s hormonal… queue my 11 and 14 year old girls flipping on me because they hate the way I say hormonal 😂😂 honestly you wouldn’t think I was a female myself.

And they do turn into psychopaths when they’re on their periods therefore they are hormonal 🙄

Overall though I don’t like this age at all. Under 8 were the best years now it’s just a slog

Reactions: 2

This gave me a laugh, one of my daughters refused to get out of bed 1 day of our last holiday which was infuriating

• Sad
Do any of you examine your own behaviours and how you interact and speak to your teens? It might give insight into why SOME of you have teens that don't want to engage with you and seem to "ruin" holidays and be "arseholes".

• Heart
I have a 15 year old. Have had a lot of trouble with her violence and aggression, she can be quite narcissistic, manipulative, self centred and entitled. She very rarely goes to school, can be violent and aggressive to the point I've called the police out on her several times. Her younger sisters were put on child protection register due to the risk of domestic abuse from eldest daughter. She doesn't care, has very little empathy and will only apologise If she gets something in return or if its too benefit her. Waiting for camhs to hopefully give a diagnosis or medicate her tbh. She is very close to going in to care. She sleeps all day and awake all night, isolates herself in her room on her phone alot. Does have friends but struggles to maintain long last friendships. Just don't know what else to do with her

• Sad
  • Heart
I have a 15 year old. Have had a lot of trouble with her violence and aggression, she can be quite narcissistic, manipulative, self centred and entitled. She very rarely goes to school, can be violent and aggressive to the point I've called the police out on her several times.
so sorry to read your message. there is very little help out there. i also feel parents are often really crappy and judgemental. it can make opening up and trying to share the load with a friend/family member difficult.

i hope you get somewhere with cahms

Do any of you examine your own behaviours and how you interact and speak to your teens? It might give insight into why SOME of you have teens that don't want to engage with you and seem to "ruin" holidays and be "arseholes".
Good point and yes, I constantly check myself on how I communicate with them - TBH I find parenting teenagers is all about questioning yourself and your reactions/behaviours, especially with ND teens when it seems a constant judgement call. But my teens are sometimes arseholes because they are sometimes arseholes, simple as that.
---
I have a 15 year old. Have had a lot of trouble with her violence and aggression, she can be quite narcissistic, manipulative, self centred and entitled. She very rarely goes to school, can be violent and aggressive to the point I've called the police out on her several times. Her younger sisters were put on child protection register due to the risk of domestic abuse from eldest daughter. She doesn't care, has very little empathy and will only apologise If she gets something in return or if its too benefit her. Waiting for camhs to hopefully give a diagnosis or medicate her tbh. She is very close to going in to care. She sleeps all day and awake all night, isolates herself in her room on her phone alot. Does have friends but struggles to maintain long last friendships. Just don't know what else to do with her
Sorry to hear this. Just from what you’ve said and because I have an autistic daughter, it sounds like she may have autism. I hope you get support and help from CAMHS. Parenting ND kids is brutal at times.

For context, I had my daughter at 19 she’s now 12 and I’m 31. Her dads not in her life (his choice) and me and my boyfriend don’t live together as we’re not from the same city, eventually I will move there but not until my daughter has finished school (at least 5 years) and although he stays over, he’s always taken the I’m your mams boyfriend not your step dad role.
my daughter is wild, that’s the only way i can describe her, she refuses to go to school, is lazy, doesn’t do anything I ask. And I’m fed up with her.
I’m curious to know if most 12 year olds have bedtimes, chores, down time without their phones? Is this something I should implement? I understand there will be a transition period and a lot of anger from Her and probably a lot of resistance. I’m fully aware these are problems I’ve created & believe me I carry that guilt everyday, everytime I look at her. I really feel like I need to regain control now before it really is too late. I just want her To grow up & be a hard working good human and currently she’s the opposite. Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

• Heart
@Summer2011 has she always been a difficult child? i think some kids are simply more willful than others. personally i wonder will it make them more successful as adults but they are definitely harder to parent.

mine are a little older but yes we have a bedtime. would have been 9pm at that age. i don’t do set chores as such but when i ask for help/something to be done i expect it’s done without huffing or puffing. in exchange i’m happy to drop them to friends/give money for cinema etc. i see it as a give and take. no phones allowed in bedrooms at night. we have screen time on their apps which we manage during term time. so they get x time on apps and when the time runs out it runs out.

i do think it’s worth trying to implement boundaries and rules. it will help you both but she will push back for sure.
maybe start with chatting to her. i always think pick your battles some things aren’t worth fighting over