Parents of teenagers!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've seen baby/toddler advice but can't seem to find a teen one so sorry if there is one I've missed.
Parents of teenagers. What advice do you give? Or what questions would you like advise on?

I'll kick off first, my (okay few months off) teenager, I found a vape in his room how would you go about this?

Reactions: 1
I've seen baby/toddler advice but can't seem to find a teen one so sorry if there is one I've missed.
Parents of teenagers. What advice do you give? Or what questions would you like advise on?

I'll kick off first, my (okay few months off) teenager, I found a vape in his room how would you go about this?
How old is he? :)

I've found remove his phone for a couple of days turns him back into the sweetheart I remember. Be warned it lasts 2 days max
Tried that. Banned him from his Xbox. It’s the raging at his Xbox then lying he wasn’t raging. He will NOT admit he was shouting and banging. I even voice recorded him on my phone and he still denied it.

Reactions: 2
At 32 I suppose I'm first generation of playstations phones Facebook etc. But it's nothing like today my due to be 13 year old cannot sit through a tv programme, it either happens now or not at all. Taking him phone is not easy I get days of rants of How I'm wrong, how cruel I am, why he should have it back etc. But speaking to an older colleague today she said how she made her child sit at the table to do his homework and when he gave mouth she'd slap him. I'm not saying it's right, but as parents a lot of times children nowadays have the upper hand ( to add I would never have never raised hand to my children)

I need to have a chat with my teen tonight about the fact that she does nothing to help around the house.

I’ve found my thread 😂. My 15 year old is actually ok but definitely addicted to his PlayStation but his 13 year old sibling is really pushing every button.

Teenagers are way worse than toddlers!!

Reactions: 4
Teenagers are pricks! 😂 Mine are selfish, unpredictable, messy and lazy - but they’re also very funny, clever, silly, loving (sometimes!) and great company. I’m enjoying seeing them change into adults and whilst they vex me on nearly hourly basis some days, I try not to stress the small stuff and think back to how I was when I was a teen 😱 I try and be what they need me to be - sometimes it’s someone to hug them, sometimes it’s to offer guidance, sometimes it’s to remind them that they’re being a head 🤷🏼‍♀️😂

Reactions: 5
This is part rant, part wondering if anyone else has a similar experience.

My 18 year old has just done their a levels and finished school . They are in the house all of the time and never do anything or go out . Them being in the house all the time is getting on my nerves a bit now as they often seem to be in the way .
They've been applying for jobs , but haven't had any success. I've suggested volunteering at a charity shop to gain experience but nothing has come of it.

They also have skin issues that is trying to be sorted medically , which doesn't help their confidence and I can't help but think people are judgemental about.

I think back to when I was 18 and I was so much more independent.

Roll on September when they go to college.

This is part rant, part wondering if anyone else has a similar experience.

My 18 year old has just done their a levels and finished school . They are in the house all of the time and never do anything or go out . Them being in the house all the time is getting on my nerves a bit now as they often seem to be in the way .
They've been applying for jobs , but haven't had any success. I've suggested volunteering at a charity shop to gain experience but nothing has come of it.

They also have skin issues that is trying to be sorted medically , which doesn't help their confidence and I can't help but think people are judgemental about.

I think back to when I was 18 and I was so much more independent.

Roll on September when they go to college.
I’m not sure where you’re actually expecting them to be? They’ve applied for jobs but had no success. Yes they could volunteer as you say, but if they have a skin issue I would imagine they’re feeling insecure. And A-Levels really didn’t finish all that long ago, allow them some grace.

Where else are you actually expecting them to be rather than at home? Sat outside on the street?

Reactions: 6
I’m not sure where you’re actually expecting them to be? They’ve applied for jobs but had no success. Yes they could volunteer as you say, but if they have a skin issue I would imagine they’re feeling insecure. And A-Levels really didn’t finish all that long ago, allow them some grace.

Where else are you actually expecting them to be rather than at home? Sat outside on the street?
I actually expect them to leave the house at some point . We all went out as a family last Sunday , they wanted to come because we went for ice cream and they've only left the house once these week and that was to buy a bottle of pop.

I would expect an 18 year old with no commitments to go out more frequently. I would expect them to sometimes go to pub at that age . And there's always cafes or the gym .

The other teenagers I know don't seem to be so reclusive. That's why I was asking other people what their experiences were.

Reactions: 5
Not a parent of a teenager yet but a teacher LY teenagers so can somewhat relate to these posts a little after dealing with the little buggers all day😂😬

• Haha
Reactions: 1
Not a parent of a teenager yet but a teacher LY teenagers so can somewhat relate to these posts a little after dealing with the little buggers all day😂😬
I’ve been a teacher of teenagers for nearly 7 months, after being a nursery teacher for a good few years. Not sure what I prefer 😂

I actually expect them to leave the house at some point . We all went out as a family last Sunday , they wanted to come because we went for ice cream and they've only left the house once these week and that was to buy a bottle of pop.

I would expect an 18 year old with no commitments to go out more frequently. I would expect them to sometimes go to pub at that age . And there's always cafes or the gym .

The other teenagers I know don't seem to be so reclusive. That's why I was asking other people what their experiences were.
Have you asked why your teen doesnt want to go out? Are there any other underlying issues ie, anxiety, friendship issues etc? I would say that everyone is different and if your teen is happy hanging out at home then what’s the problem. Obviously they should be pitching in with chores around the house etc but expecting someone to do something just because other people of that age do it is misguided.

Reactions: 7
Think I’ve finally found my page my daughter has just turned 12 and is making my actual life hell. This is worse than the baby days - I honestly can’t believe nobody warned me about how horrible it is & I also can’t believe some people go on to have more kids 🫠🫠

Reactions: 3
Have you asked why your teen doesnt want to go out? Are there any other underlying issues ie, anxiety, friendship issues etc? I would say that everyone is different and if your teen is happy hanging out at home then what’s the problem. Obviously they should be pitching in with chores around the house etc but expecting someone to do something just because other people of that age do it is misguided.
I asked and they said that they do go out . They dont think it's an issue to not go out for days on end. They've met with a friend this week.