Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Shinythings

VIP Member
Not talking the current reality TV shows but the ones that started in the early to mid 00's. The ones where everything wasn't as scripted and they weren't all chasing social media fame.Which were your favourites?

I used to watch:

Airline

Newlyweds: Nick & Jessica - I was devastated as a teenager when they broke up. I thought they were perfect 🤣

The Osbourne's

I used to watch all the Katie Price & Peter ones 🙈

The Girls Next Door

Reactions: 39

Babybail93

VIP Member
Not talking the current reality TV shows but the ones that started in the early to mid 00's. The ones where everything wasn't as scripted and they weren't all chasing social media fame.Which were your favourites?

I used to watch:

Airline

Newlyweds: Nick & Jessica - I was devastated as a teenager when they broke up. I thought they were perfect 🤣

The Osbourne's

I used to watch all the Katie Price & Peter ones 🙈

The Girls Next Door
The Osbourne’s was amazing! Proper takes me back to my teens. Waiting for it to come on MTV at 10pm 😂 best moment ever was Sharon throwing the ham into next doors garden 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 31

Bitofthebubbly

VIP Member
I’ve just remembered Ladette to Lady. A show where a bunch of women who didn’t conform to female stereotypes and expectations and were often loud and rebellious went to this old house to be taught how to be ‘ladies’. I can’t even remember the ‘end game’ point of it now and premise is really sexist but the characters they had on there made it worth watching.

The uk had some proper trashy reality shows in the 2000’s, what a time to be alive😂

Reactions: 28

Bitofthebubbly

VIP Member
Oh my gosh I love this thread. I used to really enjoy the holiday based reality shows in the 00’s.

Airline used to be one of my favourite shows growing up, I think I watched it from a really young age and found it fascinating. I’m sure before they followed easyjet they followed Thomson holidays? I always remember people forgetting their passports and having to make the mad dash home or get someone to fetch it for them, they’d always get stuck in traffic but would make it just in time. Amazing tv, wonder if it can be watched online anywhere. They should just make a new series, I would definitely watch it.

Holiday Showdown was absolute tv gold. Two families spend a week on each other’s chosen holidays and you just watch the drama and tantrums unfold, usually it would be complete opposites like an all inclusive in Spain vs hiking in wales. Or a luxury resort in Egypt vs camping in the rainforest. Some episodes are on YouTube, but that’s another one I wish theyd bring back or at least show re runs of. They just don’t make shows like this anymore.

• Heart
Reactions: 27

Bitofthebubbly

VIP Member
Would Sun, Sex and Suspicious parents count as old school? I’m sure I watched it about 10 years ago! Parents would spy on their kids going off on their first holiday abroad without them and be shocked at all the shenanigans. They’d then show up on the last day and confront them/lecture them lol. Brilliant trash tv.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
The Katie and Peter series on ITV2.

The Salon

My Super Sweet 16 UK

There's Something About Miriam

Paris Hilton's BFF

Britney & Kevin

Faking It

Reactions: 19

Happyvalley

VIP Member
I loved The Osbornes! I remember I bought the series on video 😂😂

Will never forget watching the first series of Big Brother with Nasty Nick, great TV.

• Heart

emm

VIP Member
I loved The Osbornes! I remember I bought the series on video 😂😂

Will never forget watching the first series of Big Brother with Nasty Nick, great TV.
The first series of big brother was really great, the fact that they genuinely had no idea if anyone was watching was fascinating

Anyone remember streetmate with davina Mac all?

Shinythings

VIP Member
what was airline? The girls next door was soooo bizarre, I remember they had seemingly like a "salary", which seemed quite low, and so many rules about what they could/n't do.
The Osbournes I guess was the original one, apparently it was after that that the kardashians pitched their show, it was insane how out of it ozzy always seemed, he has clearly fried his brain
The one that followed Easyjet? So many passenger meltdowns!

Reactions: 18

Plasticbox

Chatty Member
The best ever don’t tell the bride was the Vegas on. The whole family arrived at the airport, they couldn’t all go. All fuming, it kicked off, the bride was beside herself, he ran out of money for her dress. A total shambles but amazing telly!

• Haha
Reactions: 18

Bitofthebubbly

VIP Member
The early days of don’t tell the bride were good. Or maybe my tastes changed as I got older but I used to love it and then suddenly It felt really staged.

I remember Brat Camp! Wasn’t Fat Camp a thing as well?

Reactions: 17

smellsofbiscuits

VIP Member
Oh my gosh I love this thread. I used to really enjoy the holiday based reality shows in the 00’s.

Holiday Showdown was absolute tv gold. Two families spend a week on each other’s chosen holidays and you just watch the drama and tantrums unfold, usually it would be complete opposites like an all inclusive in Spain vs hiking in wales. Or a luxury resort in Egypt vs camping in the rainforest. Some episodes are on YouTube, but that’s another one I wish theyd bring back or at least show re runs of. They just don’t make shows like this anymore.
I'm sure Channel 5 tried to bring back another version of this a couple of years ago. Off for a Google....

While I'm here.....

I vaguely remember a Channel 4 show about couple's sex lives. They put cameras in their homes including their bedroom (!) whilst experts analysed their..erm...antics.

The reason it sticks in my mind is you could quite clearly see a bloke furiously fingering his female partner under the duvet and the experts looking on in horror. The phrase "friction burn" was used 😬 Please tell me someone else remembers this car crash show!

Mr B and I were fond of Tool Academy but think that falls more into the late 00s?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 16

MaryX82

VIP Member
Not really a reality tv show but me and my sister loved watching Sugar Rush on channel4 late night.All I can remember about it is them being young lesbians.

• Heart

orangelolly

Chatty Member
Did anyone watch Ibiza Uncovered? This is the first time I really remember watching "fly-on-the-wall" tv. I've just googled it and I'm showing my age here because it aired in 1997 on Sky One!

• Heart

Lalla

VIP Member
brat camp wasn't it?

Brat camp was the show that absolute horror Jemma Lucy was in, wasn't it? She was a pain in the arse even then.

I used to love Wife Swap, and a few others that have been mentioned.

My favourite ones were wedding related - 4 weddings (where all the brides used to go to each others weddings and score them - basically slag them off for completely arbitrary reasons. Always used to turn into a total bitch fest. The one where the bride was a pole dancer was a classic 😂😂😂 )

and there was a BBC one, I think it was called the Wedding?, which just followed different couples getting married. I'd love to watch that again and find out if any of them are still married (I doubt it given how incompatible most of them seemed!)

• Heart
Reactions: 14