Odd Neighbours / Neighbour Problems #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh man I could write a whole book about the issues I’ve had with my neighbours!

I bought my first property over 2 years ago, a 2 bed first floor flat. I was so excited to finally have my own space as this was the first time I’d moved out but that excitement was very short lived. I quickly found out that the estate agent had lied about who lived below me. The garden was completely overgrown and the agent said it was a young, professional guy in a council owned flat and the garden would be maintained by the council once the better weather came in. Turns out it’s a private rent flat and it’s a bleep of a woman that lives there that has no consideration for others.

She constantly plays music at extremely loud volumes. Doesn’t matter if it’s 7am, 2pm or 4am. The same music at the same volume. She has an on/off boyfriend that she has constant fights with that turn pretty violent. I can hear them throw each other against walls, cupboards, doors etc and smash glasses and plates. Their fights have even escalated out onto the main road where they’ve had each other in headlocks, punching, biting and scratching each other. They scream and shout all sorts of names at each other and she’s even accused him of sleeping with underage girls. I don’t have evidence of them being into drugs but their behaviour certainly makes it look likely. All of this also happens in front of her young daughter (which makes her accusations against him VERY worrying).

She’s filthy. Not once have I ever seen her clean her windows and you can clearly see the thick dirt that has built up. She lets rubbish accumulate in her garden and leaves her black bin bags sitting at her front door which is INSIDE the shared close, causing all sorts of nasty smells. She has cats that she lets piss all over the close (how hard is it to throw a bucket of disinfectant over it?). She has meltdowns over god knows what and can be heard screaming and wailing at the top of her voice, to the point where neighbours have gone to check she isn’t injured. She has constant parties, people coming in and out all the time slamming doors behind them, shouting and singing which echos throughout the whole building. The smells of smoke and weed mixed with her own nasty stench linger and somehow makes its way into my flat.

She doesn’t work, if that wasn’t already obvious, so she’s ALWAYS home. I had a spell of about 6 months where I had to work from home and it was near impossible given all of the above. I eventually had to quit that job.

The Council are aware and are doing nothing. The police are aware and are doing nothing. I’ve thought about finding out who her landlord is and going straight to them but at this point there’s so many other factors that are making me want to sell. I put so much money into this place due to the excitement of it being my first property that I don’t have any savings left and am currently still paying off a big loan I used to help with renovations. I’m hoping I can sell within the next couple of years but we’ll see.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 17

I bought my first property over 2 years ago, a 2 bed first floor flat. I was so excited to finally have my own space as this was the first time I’d moved out but that excitement was very short lived. I quickly found out that the estate agent had lied about who lived below me. The garden was completely overgrown and the agent said it was a young, professional guy in a council owned flat and the garden would be maintained by the council once the better weather came in. Turns out it’s a private rent flat and it’s a bleep of a woman that lives there that has no consideration for others.

She constantly plays music at extremely loud volumes. Doesn’t matter if it’s 7am, 2pm or 4am. The same music at the same volume. She has an on/off boyfriend that she has constant fights with that turn pretty violent. I can hear them throw each other against walls, cupboards, doors etc and smash glasses and plates. Their fights have even escalated out onto the main road where they’ve had each other in headlocks, punching, biting and scratching each other. They scream and shout all sorts of names at each other and she’s even accused him of sleeping with underage girls. I don’t have evidence of them being into drugs but their behaviour certainly makes it look likely. All of this also happens in front of her young daughter (which makes her accusations against him VERY worrying).

She’s filthy. Not once have I ever seen her clean her windows and you can clearly see the thick dirt that has built up. She lets rubbish accumulate in her garden and leaves her black bin bags sitting at her front door which is INSIDE the shared close, causing all sorts of nasty smells. She has cats that she lets piss all over the close (how hard is it to throw a bucket of disinfectant over it?). She has meltdowns over god knows what and can be heard screaming and wailing at the top of her voice, to the point where neighbours have gone to check she isn’t injured. She has constant parties, people coming in and out all the time slamming doors behind them, shouting and singing which echos throughout the whole building. The smells of smoke and weed mixed with her own nasty stench linger and somehow makes its way into my flat.

She doesn’t work, if that wasn’t already obvious, so she’s ALWAYS home. I had a spell of about 6 months where I had to work from home and it was near impossible given all of the above. I eventually had to quit that job.

The Council are aware and are doing nothing. The police are aware and are doing nothing. I’ve thought about finding out who her landlord is and going straight to them but at this point there’s so many other factors that are making me want to sell. I put so much money into this place due to the excitement of it being my first property that I don’t have any savings left and am currently still paying off a big loan I used to help with renovations. I’m hoping I can sell within the next couple of years but we’ll see.
This is so awful to read and I am so sorry you have to live like that!

Reactions: 2

Because they lied to you about who lived there you can sue them.
Ask the police if there had ever been complaints made about your neighbour from the people who lived in your house.
They legally have to tell you if there has been neighbour disputes

Reactions: 11
@Kofi Annan wow I can't believe they would stoop that low! I will make sure I have a quick word with them to let them know.

I got back around 9pm last night and things were suspiciously quiet next door. Only half a day until OH gets home, we pick our son up from school and we spend the final 7 days running around finishing painting and getting everything ready. Flooring is booked for Tuesday. TV and broadband for Wednesday and movers for Friday.

I spent a good 20 minutes talking to my new neighbours on one side last night. The difference is like night and day! They are absolutely lovely, really friendly, can't help us enough. They are a very polite and nice family who have very polite older children living there too. He went out of his way to give me bus route numbers, taxi firm numbers, kosher butcher recommendations. Maybe this is our reward for dealing with these wronguns for so long?
I am yet to properly meet the other side of me but they seem nice from a quick introduction to OH and my son. They are also doing works to the property before moving in. So hopefully we get to say a proper hello soon.

This house has been my husband's home for over 30 years. It will be so difficult and sad leaving here knowing the finality that we will never be able to return. We did plan to buy 2023/2024 and sadly the neighbours disgusting reaction to our new car has pushed that earlier than expected. We never realised they hated us so much. It's such a shame but at least I own a beautiful home in a nice quiet area now.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Because they lied to you about who lived there you can sue them.
Ask the police if there had ever been complaints made about your neighbour from the people who lived in your house.
They legally have to tell you if there has been neighbour disputes
I did think about this but it was only a verbal conversation between me and the estate agent about who lived there, there’s no actual evidence for me to prove that she said that.

I’ve given up with the police tbh. They don’t take my complaints seriously even when I’ve told them I’ve been in tears not being able to sleep and having to go to work the next day. All they do is knock on her door, tell her to turn the music down and then leave. Once I even heard them say to her ‘have a good night’, when she was blaring music at stupid o’clock on a weeknight. It’s the same with the council, they asked me everything that had been going on just to say ‘oops nothing to do with us’ and washed their hands of it. Neither of them care about the domestic violence either, unless they catch them in the midst of a fight there’s ‘nothing they can do’. I’ve been told I have to go straight to the landlord but since she’s private it’s a little more difficult to do. I’ve got the title deeds and who was last registered as owning the property, but obviously that doesn’t necessarily prove they are the landlord.

I don’t have the money to sue even if I wanted to. At this point I just want to cut my losses and leave as soon as I can. As I mentioned before there’s other reasons I want to leave too, not just my neighbours. Plus I don’t want to give them any more reason to be even more disruptive and give me tit whenever I see them in the hall or outside.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
My neighbours are a complete nightmare! They are so noisy and disrespectful. They start hammering and drilling at half 6 in the morning and can go on till 11 at night, they have the tv blaring till 1-2 in the morning keeping my kids awake as its right next to their bedroom, the guy is constantly screaming and shouting at their kids he's a right abusive twit, they throw stones at the dog when I let him out I'm the garden, rubbish gets throw over and they decided to spray paint their fence what went all over my garden what I had just spend hundreds doing up 🤦🏾‍♀️. Complained to the council and nothing get done, it causes me so much stress. Their not exactly the approachable type, he was in jail for nearly killing the woman and hurting one of the kids.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
My neighbours are a complete nightmare! They are so noisy and disrespectful. They start hammering and drilling at half 6 in the morning and can go on till 11 at night, they have the tv blaring till 1-2 in the morning keeping my kids awake as its right next to their bedroom, the guy is constantly screaming and shouting at their kids he's a right abusive twit, they throw stones at the dog when I let him out I'm the garden, rubbish gets throw over and they decided to spray paint their fence what went all over my garden what I had just spend hundreds doing up 🤦🏾‍♀️. Complained to the council and nothing get done, it causes me so much stress. Their not exactly the approachable type, he was in jail for nearly killing the woman and hurting one of the kids.
you can put an anonymous referral to social services. Go to your local councils website and it’s called a single point contact form. Include everything. If he’s been to prison chances are they’re already involved but things like animal abuse and language used at the children, awful neighbours are taken seriously as they build a picture to the person they are. Doesn’t help with your problem though 😞

Reactions: 3
Struggling to sleep again. At midnight I overheard my neighbours talking about ruining me and my OH. They keep saying “it’s her” and putting blame onto me. I lost my cool now. I said loudly I can hear everything they are saying and if they’re brave they should come knock on my door. They’re pathetic losers blaming every mishap on me and need to stop chatting behind backs. It quickly went very quiet and hardly heard a peep since. It’s a 19 year old boy who thinks he runs the street and can talk about us nonstop.

The housing noise complaint doesn’t seem to be getting anywhere either which is frustrating. They were drilling and banging after 10pm on the weekend.

We move on Friday so not much longer left to go.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
you can put an anonymous referral to social services. Go to your local councils website and it’s called a single point contact form. Include everything. If he’s been to prison chances are they’re already involved but things like animal abuse and language used at the children, awful neighbours are taken seriously as they build a picture to the person they are. Doesn’t help with your problem though 😞
I've called social work before with concerns, i think they went out but she denies he lives there. I've also had to call the police in the past as he must of had the woman locked in and she was screaming to get out, you could hear the kid crying it was awful. Its so annoying as he's pulled the wool over everyone's eyes who lives around here, they think the sun shines out his ass. The woman used to be ok until he moved back in with her she's just a witch to us now.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
Has anyone ever gone through police mediation?
I’m now at that stage, but I’m concerned that the police are copping out (ha!) as they’re treating me and my neighbour as the same. I’m doing nothing to my neighbour, I keep my head down, but this woman makes my life a misery for her own enjoyment.
I don’t feel like the police see me as a victim but as part of a problem. When the police speak to my neighbour she’s all smiles and agrees with what they say but in reality nothing ever changes.

Reactions: 1
Has anyone ever gone through police mediation?
I’m now at that stage, but I’m concerned that the police are copping out (ha!) as they’re treating me and my neighbour as the same. I’m doing nothing to my neighbour, I keep my head down, but this woman makes my life a misery for her own enjoyment.
I don’t feel like the police see me as a victim but as part of a problem. When the police speak to my neighbour she’s all smiles and agrees with what they say but in reality nothing ever changes.
Any idea on why they would think you are as bad as the other person?

Now I'm not saying you do, so please don't take offence are you retaliating to what they do?

The reason I ask is
I belong to a FB group called neighbours from hell and I seriously believe that people think you have to be a NFH to join it, because more than half of the more vocal people I would hate to even live in the same town as let alone next door to.

When giving advice to someone who is being kept up all night with loud music they suggest putting speakers on the wall and doing it back. They have cams pointed at next door and complain when next door pulls faces posting "look-see what I have to put up with"

My next-door neighbour if on that group would be posting absolute shite about me because she truly believes I'm out to get her and everything I do I do to piss her off. I'm actually not doing a thing. i have kept my cool and not retaliated and now her complaints about me are being treated as malicious and not heard anything from her in weeks so I'm thinking letters have gone out to her.
Every time she complained I clearly explained what I was doing. I took my own videos of my water feature that was apparently driving her nuts and was her last complaint about me I walked up close to the water feature, back away from it etc so they could see it was small and not a noisy one.

Police at my door I explain that she has a problem with me and for them to contact the local council and my housing officer. I have kept calm and IMO reasonable and it's paid off in my case. the reality is I want to retaliate so much, I want to pour bleach over her plants and kill them like she has mine, I want to do so much and make so much noise but I have carried on trying to live my life without giving her too much thought anymore. Before I was walking on eggshells

Reactions: 3
No, not doing anything except told her I don’t want the attention - like standing in front of the house, looking in windows, telling other neighbours lies about me, watching my every move, damages my garden etc.
i haven’t done anything at all, so I don’t know what she can say about me in mediation.
Apparently she’s told the police that she wants to improve the relationship, but she’s had plenty of chances to do that in the past. She hasn’t taken those opportunities and has kept up her weird campaign for five years. It’s upsetting that after five years of harassment I’m still at the stage where they don’t think I’m a victim of a crime.
I feel she says one thing to them to make her look good and then carries on doing creepy stuff.

I’m sorry you’re having these problems with your neighbour. It’s draining isn’t it? One PC has told me that some people are just bored with their lives and they’re often the worst as they don’t let up.

• Sad
Reactions: 1
I've moved ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ We had to stop our second trip of the day due to the winds but will go back tomorrow to grab the leftover bits and pieces or list the bits we don't want up for sale. I think I have left my bedside lamp and phone charger 😂 We have the keys for a couple more weeks so not the end of the world.

My son loves his new bedroom. My cats seem to be settling ok too. OH is devastated because he lived there for so long. Had a bit of a nightmare with the winds involving new neighbour's brick wall collapsing onto my car 😭 but new neighbours are so lovely and will sort it privately.

Since I shouted a few days ago next door have been extremely quiet. Clearly not brave enough to say anything to my face. Little rats. Can't wait to settle and enjoy my new home now.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Another Saturday another round of the vile neighbours blocking everyones drives rather than walk 2 seconds further 🙄 luckily its not mine, i think theyve realised by now that blocking me in just unleashes actual hell 😂 i dont back down. But other ppl in the street who do back down are having to endure this utter BS

Its now like we live in a terraced street with ONLY on street parking. There's plenty room for everyone, you have your car parked outside of you house as is apparently your god given right. But then you have so many cars you overspill into everyone else's way. Rather than being in ANY WAY courteous, and just parking further down the street, you just block people's drives! 🙄

Absolutely vile family! The way they go on when someone parks outside their house or a delivery van is there for 2 seconds too! Well im sure you can imagine...

• Sad
Reactions: 8
My issue with my neighbours started last year when they got upset I bought a new car and parked it in a private courtyard we all had a key to use. The 19 year old boy blocked the car in by partially blocking the gate on the road and when we knocked to ask him to move it, he slammed the door in our face. His mum was just as rude and disrespectful as they believed it was owned by them and I needed to "follow the procedure" and ask their permission to use it. It turned out they hated us without us knowing and this was a way for them to show it. It ended with police being called despite THEM throwing racist abuse at me. I declined to take the matter further as I just wanted to get on with life.

A few weeks after that our mutual housing provider came out and told them they need to share it, we are both their tenants and they need to STFU. Completely embarrassed them and that was that. A couple of months after I found out the land was privately owned and started correspondance with them asking for permission to park there. Permission was denied but they were aware of the "issue" of people with access parking there when they shouldn't. They appreciated me reaching out and were very nice over the situation including giving me the code for emergencies.

Towards the end of December 2021 the boy got a new car (not as nice as mine 😂) and started regularly parking in the courtyard area. Doesn't bother us as housing told us to share and we are happy in front of our house. We also knew we were moving out soon so I couldn't care less.

They have been bad recently by shouting through the wall about how I'm a racist and everything happening to them is because of me. Threatening to smash my door down, putting the hairdryer on so I can't hear their conversations lol. They don't think anything could be my husband because he is the same race as them. It has been stressing me out and upsetting me.

I shouted through the wall telling them to come talk to my face as I had enough and they were incredibly quiet the last few days. I saw one of the boys on Saturday and he walked past us in the street without saying a word. Not such a bad man now is he 😂

I was getting ready to put it all behind me but I received an email last night from the private owner of the land again. They are putting up notices this week and will be changing the locks this week. They are going to be fuming. I want to go sit there and watch it unfold 😂 😂 😂 😂

Let's hope they learn that consequences have actions. If they weren't such C's to my family and bad mouthed us regularly I am sure they wouldn't be hit by karma like this. I am now blessed with lovely neighbours and owning my home.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
My issue with my neighbours started last year when they got upset I bought a new car and parked it in a private courtyard we all had a key to use. The 19 year old boy blocked the car in by partially blocking the gate on the road and when we knocked to ask him to move it, he slammed the door in our face. His mum was just as rude and disrespectful as they believed it was owned by them and I needed to "follow the procedure" and ask their permission to use it. It turned out they hated us without us knowing and this was a way for them to show it. It ended with police being called despite THEM throwing racist abuse at me. I declined to take the matter further as I just wanted to get on with life.

A few weeks after that our mutual housing provider came out and told them they need to share it, we are both their tenants and they need to STFU. Completely embarrassed them and that was that. A couple of months after I found out the land was privately owned and started correspondance with them asking for permission to park there. Permission was denied but they were aware of the "issue" of people with access parking there when they shouldn't. They appreciated me reaching out and were very nice over the situation including giving me the code for emergencies.

Towards the end of December 2021 the boy got a new car (not as nice as mine 😂) and started regularly parking in the courtyard area. Doesn't bother us as housing told us to share and we are happy in front of our house. We also knew we were moving out soon so I couldn't care less.

They have been bad recently by shouting through the wall about how I'm a racist and everything happening to them is because of me. Threatening to smash my door down, putting the hairdryer on so I can't hear their conversations lol. They don't think anything could be my husband because he is the same race as them. It has been stressing me out and upsetting me.

I shouted through the wall telling them to come talk to my face as I had enough and they were incredibly quiet the last few days. I saw one of the boys on Saturday and he walked past us in the street without saying a word. Not such a bad man now is he 😂

I was getting ready to put it all behind me but I received an email last night from the private owner of the land again. They are putting up notices this week and will be changing the locks this week. They are going to be fuming. I want to go sit there and watch it unfold 😂 😂 😂 😂

Let's hope they learn that consequences have actions. If they weren't such C's to my family and bad mouthed us regularly I am sure they wouldn't be hit by karma like this. I am now blessed with lovely neighbours and owning my home.
You can hear conversations through a wall? What are the houses made of? 😂

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.