Odd Neighbours / Neighbour Problems #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@Louise13

That sounds horrendous , definitely not normal and I would be as worried and stressed out as you.
I don’t want to worry you but I would buy a small personal attack alarm and keep it close at hand when you’re outside or you answer the door. I carry one when I’m walking in the dark and it makes me less anxious about the “what if something happens” scenario.

A Ring doorbell is a great idea and I hope it works.
I’d also put a chain on the front door so you know he can’t enter your house if you accidentally open the door to him again.

I was once in a position where I said to the police that I don’t have any proof of a crime and they said that I do - I have my own experience and my statement, that’s all it takes to start building a case. Also you have a potential witness from that shop who can back up what you’re saying (that he seems obsessed with you).

You will have a local neighbourhood policing team. Contact them via 101 or you local force website and arrange to meet them somewhere other than your house. They often have drop-in sessions at town halls etc. Tell them what’s going on. You don’t have to have them speak to him - they may have some advice for how to deal with him.

He sounds creepy as hell and you shouldn’t have to put up with him. It’s unwanted attention and that’s harassment.

Reactions: 13
Thank you for the advice, I will definitely get a personal alarm and look at contacting the neighbourhood policing team

Reactions: 8
@Louise13

You sound like a really nice/kind/caring neighbour. Please remember you don’t owe this creep any of your time just because you live next door. A ring doorbell is a great idea. I don’t have the need for one, but will occasionally open the upstairs window instead of answering the door if I don’t know who’s there. Don’t be too nice to tell him “I’d better get on/go in now, I’m busy” to end conversations (no explanation owed). I’d also keep a diary/log of his strange behaviour in case things escalate.

He is taking advantage of the fact you are a polite woman, it’s proper weird and creepy and you should not have to put up with feeling like this in your own home. Tell your partner to go round there and tell the cunt to fuck off, who the hell does he think he is coming into your house uninvited???

Reactions: 14
Thank you for the advice, I will definitely get a personal alarm and look at contacting the neighbourhood policing team
You could put a chain on the door to prevent him strolling in if you answer the door to him

Reactions: 11
Get cctv set up front and back as well as the ring doorbell. Display the signs saying that you have cctv. This man is a bully and is playing on you being polite and quiet. If you are friendly with any of the other neighbours I'd make them aware of the situation incase you ever need back up. I would also contact the police and ask for a background check on him because he's basically stalking you. They don't have to disclose details, but ask them out straight is there any reason for you to be cautious with this person. I'd log the complaints anyway. I'd also be doing my own digging about him, you'd be amazed what you can find out if you try. Maybe go back and try and speak to his family to find out more. If his own family are saying he's a weirdo then that says it all really.

It sounds like he's been rehoused somehow. I agree it sounds very odd. Is there any way of contacting the previous neighbour for info? I'm not saying you should be scared, but I would be on my guard too.

The only way to deal with these people is to be very very blunt. Laugh at any suggestions that they think you're abused. Let them see how happy you are with your partner. You don't have to be aggressive back, but deffo be firm with him and dismiss any serious convos he tries to have with you. Next time he knocks, don't answer but shout out the window that you're busy and don't have time to talk.

I've experienced something similar, not as extreme as you but they did push the boundaries. The only way to deal with it was blunt rudeness with a smile.

Reactions: 10
Not sure if it's been mentioned before but what about the window film -the one you can see out of but they can't in?

Reactions: 6
I’m so sorry to hear what you’ve been going through.

Only going to echo what others have said, the ring doorbell is a great idea. I would also get one for the back of the house. You can also get some fairly cheap cameras for indoors too if you feel that would help if you’re working from home and feel a bit unsafe. Definitely get a chain for the door and look into privacy film for your windows.

How does your partner feel about it all? Have you told him everything you’ve written here?

What an awful and quite frankly very strange situation. I'm sorry that you're experiencing this in your own home which should be a place of comfort and safety.
Agree with all the suggestions above, especially with documenting all his activity. Note the date & time he knocked, what the nature of his call was for and anything else worth noting. Also document any other strange interactions or scenarios that make you feel uncomfortable. You shouldn't have to do this, but if it was me then I would just in case you ever need to use it as evidence against him. Hopefully as evidence for him being moved out!

Reactions: 10
My thoughts exactly. Get your partner to go and smack him out

Also I hope you're ok. Sounds awful

Reactions: 3
Neighbours blocking the access on our shared drive as they’ve got visitors and only have one parking space. Loads of visitors bays but no, can’t possibly park in one of those.

I had to go and ask them to move this morning as I couldn’t get my car out and their visitors car has moved back into the exact same position.

Why don’t people just think?

Reactions: 11
Block em in!

Reactions: 4
I think you should ring 101 (or use the online service). This is exactly what it is for. You are experiencing unwanted interactions that you are concerned about.

It may well be that they cannot do anything at this time but I cannot stress enough the importance of logging it!!

In the meantime, make notes with times, dates and general interactions.

Reactions: 5
This is so frightening, I really feel for you. Are you finding the Ring doorbell to be useful? You can talk to people at your door through it so you don't have to physically open the door. Definitely get a chain and some extra latches put on the door. Are there any family or friends that could pop in while your partner is at work?

Reactions: 4
Just looking for opinions, as it’s bugging me. My partner lived in a town where his parents also live, about 30 miles away from my city. His parents live about a 30 second drive from where his house was. He had to move due to the guy he was renting from selling the house he and moving away. I have a massive driving anxiety, I feel comfortable (most of the time) driving to the old location but not his new place, about 15 miles further away, so I’ve been leaving my car on his parent’s street when I visit him on a weekend. He’ll meet me on his parent’s street and we’ll either visit them if they’re in or just go back to his. I’m very cautious not to park in front of someone’s house, though legal, I think it could come off as quite cheeky, so I’ve stuck to parking to the side of houses where there are 3 spaces plus. After spending the new year at my other half’s, I returned to a note left under my front windscreen wiper telling me it was “residents parking only”. This obviously isn’t legally true, but I’m not quite sure what to do now, as I don't want to piss anybody off to the point of damaging my car, but i also don't want to be bullied out of parking where i'm well within my rights to? Absolutely all opinions welcomed.

Reactions: 5

My advice would be to bit the bullet and drive to his place. the more you do it the easier it will be, avoiding the drive will never make it easier, the reason you feel ok ish driving to the old place is because you did it and then did it again and again.

So that is my advice to take or leave.

Reactions: 17
Thank you for your opinion . I get where you’re coming from, but easier said than done, unfortunately. I still get sweaty/numb hands driving the 10 minutes to work sometimes (not all the time, totally irrational), where I’ve worked for the best part of 20 years. I should maybe look in to getting a bus pass

I do get it, I am agoraphobic and although now I do go out it's not easy but I do make myself do it because never leaving my home was awful but would be very easy to get used to again by not forcing myself past my limits

if you are 100% sure that it isn't a residence-only parking area. get yourself a cam back and front so you can see if anyone puts a note on your car or damages it.

People are very possessive of their roads and hate "strangers" parking there. its totally unreasonable but they wont change

Last edited:
Reactions: 3

Thank you for sharing that. It really does make people feel less alone/like weirdos. Sometimes I tell people (if I have to explain why I can’t drive/get to somewhere) and they look at me like I’m an alien.

It definitely isn’t “residents only”, but I will give it a try driving the whole way in the next few weeks.

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.