Odd Neighbours / Neighbour Problems #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We've got new neighbours, they have only been next to us now for about 2 months, it's a family of 4, 2 young kids & parents. They seem nice enough but the dad has a temper.. we hear him scream at the kids and we hear him just making odd loud noises at them and then the kids running and thumping around very late sometimes gone 1am. The dad is just a bit strange anyway, one evening a few weeks ago I left my house to go to my boyfriends place, my taxi man said as I got in the car 'your neighbour is watching you leave' I was like what?? I looked back and he was stood at the front room window looking out at me, it was dark so it was just his silhouette 😂🙃.. My mum has said he stands and watches out the window all the time... A bit strange if you ask me.. I don't think he means any harm it is just a bit creepy like
Awww wholesome taxi man letting you know 😅 that is creepy though

• Haha
Reactions: 6
We have a funny new neighbour who reminds me of Margo from "The Good Life'.

She came over to introduce herself, with a basket in tow ... as I greeted her at our gate, she offered two potatoes, a bunch of beans and two lemons in exchange for something we'd like to offer. Um ... okay! It was quite funny but also a good idea. I was able to give her a dozen of our hens' eggs, which was great as we had too many. She's now got into a routine where she emails a few houses around us to see who wants to exchange what. I don't know why anyone didn't think of it sooner!

She dresses like she's off on a safari or something ... she's very, very nice but is very new to living in the country and it shows (for a start, she gets a lawnmower man in to mow her three acres).

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
Well it’s started for the summer, my neighbours having 15 people in their garden every night until 3am, laughing and singing all night.
Once or twice a week is ok but it’s every night.
Just went to make some tea and someone laughed so loud I jumped out of my skin lol
This is what I'm waiting for, as soon as the weather warms up the neighbours at the back crank up the 1998 best of nu metal and have a bonfire until midnight. Its so frustrating as I have to be up at half 4 for work some days and not only that you cant keep your windows open on hot evenings/nights as the smoke blows in and the music is that loud. I have worn noise cancelling headphones up loud and I can still hear it at times. They just get more and more pissed and launch their glasses bottles in the bin and shout over each other as they cant hear over the music. I have fantasies of destroying their giant bluetooth speaker.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
Not really a neighbour problem, but I live with parents and brother. I work from home and my brother is at uni. But my brother spends most of the day shouting at his PC which I hear perfectly through our thin walls.

Noise cancelling headphones don't really do anything for it, and it is really stressing me out and I can't focus on my work. Tried talking to my brother about it but he just says sorry, and then it happens again the next day.

Hoping to be able to move out later this year, but does anyone have any advice for the short term?

Reactions: 2
Couple of options I can think of.
1. If he is amenable then you go into his room and play a loud video/shout and see if he can hear it too from your room. Hopefully he realises how thin the walls are.
2. You agree on 9-5 is work time so no videos/shouting, any other time is ok.
3. Pavlov dog approach- every time you hear it play a song through his wall he hates. When he stops so do you. You can train him subconsciously to stop doing it.

Reactions: 5
My neighbour leaves her washing out all night. If it rains overnight then she leaves it out all the next day to dry again. Is this part of some kinda hack that I'm not aware of, or is it a bit manky?

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 17
Not really a neighbour problem, but I live with parents and brother. I work from home and my brother is at uni. But my brother spends most of the day shouting at his PC which I hear perfectly through our thin walls.

Noise cancelling headphones don't really do anything for it, and it is really stressing me out and I can't focus on my work. Tried talking to my brother about it but he just says sorry, and then it happens again the next day.

Hoping to be able to move out later this year, but does anyone have any advice for the short term?
How old is he? I’d hide the PC for a day/unplug it/turn his room electrics off at the fuse. His game is not as important as your work so he just needs to shut up

My neighbour leaves her washing out all night. If it rains overnight then she leaves it out all the next day to dry again. Is this part of some kinda hack that I'm not aware of, or is it a bit manky?
It's manky. Doing it once or twice, perhaps forgetful and normal. But leaving it out that long? I'd be worried the birds had had a pooping party on it....

Reactions: 8
Oh phew, thought I’d been doing the washing wrong for 20 years!
The funniest thing is that this woman thinks she’s the bees knees in the street, but only I get to see what she’s really like in the back garden 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Our old neighbours used to do this all the time. At first I thought it was just an accident but it wasn’t. It would be out for days at a time, through several rain spells and then eventually brought in.

Reactions: 3
I can empathise with this. I have a retired couple opposite me, they're still active, have a car etc, but they're at home loads of the time. Whenever someone comes to my house, I have a delivery, or have a workman here etc they stand at their window and watch everything. Not just people turning up, but, for example, the whole transaction with a delivery driver. When I come home with shopping they watch me get out of the car and get the shopping out. It's really weird. I doubt they mean any harm but they are so nosey it is unbelievable.
They've never been friendly so I've discounted waving friendly like, but after 5 years of the same it's getting a bit annoying now
I had to reply to this. My nan watches everyone in her street all day. She has Alzheimer’s and it’s her entertainment/ routine. She seems to have stopped listening to the radio and having the tv on of a day because I think it’s a bit of sensory overload for her. When I go there she will tell me all the comings and goings and count the number of kids in the steeet on her fingers. She’s lived in her house for 40 years so most people know her and have witnessed her decline so I doubt they’re annoyed by it.

Anyway what I’m trying to say is she’s not weird or creepy she’s poorly.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 14
I had to reply to this. My nan watches everyone in her street all day. She has Alzheimer’s and it’s her entertainment/ routine. She seems to have stopped listening to the radio and having the tv on of a day because I think it’s a bit of sensory overload for her. When I go there she will tell me all the comings and goings and count the number of kids in the steeet on her fingers. She’s lived in her house for 40 years so most people know her and have witnessed her decline so I doubt they’re annoyed by it.

Anyway what I’m trying to say is she’s not weird or creepy she’s poorly.
I’m sorry about your nan. My grandad had Alzheimer’s too, he’d think famous people were walking up the garden path all the time when it was just the postman/milkman etc

My neighbours are not ill, I wouldn’t complain if they were, they’re just rude. They massive gossips and I guess that’s why they like to watch all the goings on.

Reactions: 4
Just wanted to comment on the anxiety some of you mentioned about making noise when you have been the victims previously.
We're 11 years post-move from the most horrendous, antisocial neighbours. I still now cannot tolerate loud bangs, dread bank holidays and sunny days. If I hear music, and I don't know where it's coming from, I stop what I'm doing and try to find the source immediately.
I tiptoe up the stairs and have only just recently arranged to have new carpets fitted, fearful that the noise of this will encourage it all to happen again.
It's debilitating and horrible but I deploy coping strategies and am learning to manage. You're not alone ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Absolutely livid. Have just come home from work to find someone has left a lovely big bit of phlegm spit on the communal stairs. The ones leading up to my flat to be exact. I know exactly who it was too because I hear him make *those* noises when he’s coming in and out but he usually spits outside, which is still vile, but looks like this time he’d thought he’d do it indoors. It’s bleeping rancid and I’m not about to clean up a grown man’s spit but the only other option is to step over it when I come in or out the flat. Great👍🏼

Can I report this to the council? I own my flat but I’m about 99% sure he rents his from the council.

• Sick
  • Wow
Absolutely livid. Have just come home from work to find someone has left a lovely big bit of phlegm spit on the communal stairs. The ones leading up to my flat to be exact. I know exactly who it was too because I hear him make *those* noises when he’s coming in and out but he usually spits outside, which is still vile, but looks like this time he’d thought he’d do it indoors. It’s bleeping rancid and I’m not about to clean up a grown man’s spit but the only other option is to step over it when I come in or out the flat. Great👍🏼

Can I report this to the council? I own my flat but I’m about 99% sure he rents his from the council.
I had trouble with my rear neighbours in the summer and rang the housing association and because I am not their tennant too they said they can’t speak to me I’d have to report it to the police. I did btw and they were here within 5 mins.

I'm going to do this all the way along my garden the side the neighbour from hell is. What a shame the only sun she gets is from my side. It's very light on the other side so she won't suffer a light problem but the actual sun all late morning and afternoon come from my side unless its late then she can have the setting sun at the back.

The worm turned and if it's a petty fight she wants then that is what she will get. The reason I'm doing this is so I can have my climbers, she won't let my plants grow she cuts the tops off as soon as she sees them

Attachments

Reactions: 5
Good for you, purrrrrrr!

I wish I could do this as I have the same issue but my garden slopes wildly. I’m just going to resort to shouting at the silly woman instead 🤣

I'm going to do this all the way along my garden the side the neighbour from hell is. What a shame the only sun she gets is from my side. It's very light on the other side so she won't suffer a light problem but the actual sun all late morning and afternoon come from my side unless its late then she can have the setting sun at the back.

The worm turned and if it's a petty fight she wants then that is what she will get. The reason I'm doing this is so I can have my climbers, she won't let my plants grow she cuts the tops off as soon as she sees them

I was feeling a little guilty about making plans to get this trellis done. I thought maybe I should give her a chance to live and let live.. seeing as housing wrote to her about not cutting my plants. Went out this morning and my plants have all been cut so now its full steam ahead!

• Wow
  • Angry
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.