Northern food

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Having a debate about scotch eggs and wondering if it’s just a northern thing (north east) or if it’s a British thing in general?

I’m from Kent and we have scotch eggs. Do Northerners have gypsy tarts though?

Reactions: 1
Scotch eggs were created by Fortnum & Mason so definitely not just a northern thing.

Reactions: 6
What about pork pies 😂

Never even heard of a gypsy tart so I’m guessing no 😂
Oh we have pork pies too! Got any more? There must be some northern food I’m missing out on 🤣You’re deprives without a gypsy tart, they’re so sickly sweet but they’re delicious every now and then!

Does anywhere else have a macaroni pie? Or is that a scottish thing?
Love a macaroni pie, had a lasagne pie once too.

If we're going regional now then rowies are what the rest of the UK is missing!

Oh we have pork pies too! Got any more? There must be some northern food I’m missing out on 🤣You’re deprives without a gypsy tart, they’re so sickly sweet but they’re delicious every now and then!
Pease pudding?

Does anywhere else have a macaroni pie? Or is that a scottish thing?
Definitely not a thing up north haha sounds disgusting, it it literally macaroni cheese on a pie?

Seen it in a tin in the supermarket but I have no idea what it actually is, I’ve never seen it on a menu down here so I’m guessing it’s not commonplace! What is it?
I don’t actually know what it is, it’s like a spread made from split peas I think, usually have it with ham sandwiches haha

Londoner who has been living in the North for 7 years. I've always eaten scotch eggs all my life.

Northern food is so comforting. They eat gravy on their chips, I thought it was so bizarre at first but it works. I asked a London chip shop when visiting home for gravy and chips. I may as well have asked the lady for her liver.

I was a bit disappointed to find out a barm cake was just a bread roll.

Reactions: 8
Also chips with cheese and gravy 😂Londoners don’t have scraps with their chips either do they? (Batter)

Reactions: 5
What about curry on chip shop chips? Do people have that everywhere? You can’t beat chip shop curry!

• Heart
Reactions: 10