Nigel Farage

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Where do low income migrants live- rich or middle class areas or poor urban or seaside areas, causing overcrowding? What kind of jobs do they do- professional jobs or those typical of the low skilled working class? Sorry to use such blunt economic terms but it’s necessary 🤗
And sorry P I do like you, but just as a general comment people who make this sort of comment tend to live in unaffected areas. I’d be prepared to wager as an educated lady past 30 or so you do not live in an area where you see these issues first hand. 🐱

Hello, I like you too!

And I'm WAY past 30 - but appreciate the compliment!!

I live in North Yorkshire in a council estate in a market town, having said that there are not too many non-whites up here. Prior to this I lived in Oxford which has a VERY diverse demographic.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Except it's been shown time and time again that the areas with least immigration were more likely to vote for Brexit (and less immigrants) than the areas with the highest level of immigration - most of whom voted remain.

Nigel himself is standing in an area with very low levels of immigrants and minorities.

Why are people who are least likely to regularly come across people from other countries and races so much more anti-immigration? Could it be that it's much easier to convince people that immigrants are The Worst when they haven't really had the opportunity to meet any and discover that the vast majority of them are just, you know, normal bleeping people.
Thing is I suspect when people are talking about immigration these days they’re mostly talking about asylum seekers because it’s been so topical and we now use the term “illegal immigrants” for them - even though they make up a very tiny number and calling them illegal immigrants is questionable at best

Then you also have the group that are likely referring to anyone who isn’t white or fits into their idea of white. I suspect the whole conversation centred around “slurs” used against white people (which someone here implied at one point) is probably targeted against some of these groups of people. I’ve never personally faced that and I suspect most people haven’t but I have heard anecdotes from a friend that in private they use these words and there’s probably some use of them on social media and we all know that’s really reflective of the real world (being sarcastic here for anyone in doubt)

The second point also goes into the first point because ultimately a lot of asylum seekers aren’t white

Reactions: 1
Hello, I like you too!

And I'm WAY past 30 - but appreciate the compliment!!

I live in North Yorkshire in a council estate in a market town, having said that there are not too many non-whites up here. Prior to this I lived in Oxford which has a VERY diverse demographic.
It's interesting isn't it. I lived in London and then Oxford, as you say very diverse and loads of people who were not only not white but were 1st generation immigrants. You almost never heard open racism and it was very much 'frowned' upon to express those views.

Now I live in the rural SW - when we moved here the lack of diversity was really jarring. There were no non-white children in the first school my daughter attended. Not a single one. At her secondary school there are a fair few (there's 1250 kids there so you'd hope so!). I could name all of the non-white children at my other kids primary and they are very much English, born here, parents born here etc etc. There are a lot of children from Poland, Lithuania, Ukraine at these schools but no one is bothered by them as far as I can tell.

There's a lot more open racism here, not directly towards people afaik (though I'm white, so it's not something I would ever experience personally), but just generally in everyday conversation. It still takes me aback whenever I hear it, and I do comment on it because I'm that type of person. No one is ever nasty to me about it but I wonder how they've developed these negative feelings about people when they've literally met maybe 10 people from other races their whole lives. It's nuts. These people would be horrified if you called them racist though - even though they clearly are. Racism isn't just violence and angry rhetoric.

Reactions: 4
Haha.

It's like the time Boris Johnson slagged off people who have loads of children. Hipocracy is almost a requirement for certain politicians these days.

Reactions: 3