Nicola Sturgeon, SNP, Scottish Politics and Scottish Independence

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think the whole idea of Scottish independence is even more daft than Brexit. I just don't understand the point at all, they have a population smaller than Yorkshire and will go from being part of the 5th biggest Economy in the world to god knows what. Probably akin to some small Eastern European nation. They pretty much have full control of their country anyway as it is. Ridiculous.

Reactions: 5
I hope she doesn’t get the OK for this, the divisiveness ahead of the 2014 ref was so awful and will only be worse this time.

I was a staunch no last time but I am a bit on the fence now. Having lived in the south of England for a while and now come back, there is such a huge difference between the two countries and you do just have to wonder why these MPs should make the decisions for Scotland?? That being said there are so many questions that haven’t been answered so I’ll probably still be a no.

There's a small but growing movement for the Highlands and Islands to go independent of Scotland if Scotland goes independent of rUK, which I could actually get behind! We have about half the land mass of Scotland, 8% of the population and most of the natural resources.
Hahaha I’m from the highlands but hadn’t heard of this!

Reactions: 1
IMO if Scotland wants to go then let them go it’s no skin off my nose 🤣🤣
Yes but it’s obviously skin off someone’s nose considering how hard the British Government went with their Better Together campaign. 🙄

I’m tired of the whole thing tbh - I say that as a Scot living in Scotland. I can see why people want it and why others don’t - I do believe if there is to be another referendum that it should be the last one regardless of the result. I voted Yes the first time and just got on with it after the result, I’m not sure that I would vote the same again.

Reactions: 1
I think the whole idea of Scottish independence is even more daft than Brexit. I just don't understand the point at all, they have a population smaller than Yorkshire and will go from being part of the 5th biggest Economy in the world to god knows what. Probably akin to some small Eastern European nation. They pretty much have full control of their country anyway as it is. Ridiculous.
We have nowhere near full control of our country. Would you accept giving all your money to your neighbour and them only giving you a percentage of it back to pay for everything you need? What if you wanted a really big purchase but you needed to borrow the money for it, except your neighbour won't allow it! Your neighbour dictates your wage, a lot of the taxes you pay, who can and can't live on your street, they tell you you have to pay for things you don't need or want. That's what we have currently and it sinks.

Mon October 2023 and to finally end this unfair union.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
i could get behind that. I don’t blame them one bit. I’m originally from there and if It meant we were rid of the SNP I would move home in a heartbeat. I didn't vote for Brexit. I have no problem with independence in theory but when you can’t get a straight answer from the SNP about very basic things like currency and why we should cut ties with our biggest trading partner, what would we do for security then I think we should question that. Not to mention the pandemic it was very lucky we are part of the U.K. we would have been screwed in every sense of the word. We are still trying to recover, theres a lot of uncertainty in Europe and the snp want us to have another re run of a divisive referendum? No thanks. We have enough tit on our plate.
If Scotland does leave the UK I really hope we can then break away from Scotland here and become an independent north. After all it would be our democratic right as 2/3rds are against Scotish independence! We hold most of the resources and could make it much fairer. I don't trust holyrood anymore than I trust Westminster. Snp support is falling as they needed to do a deal with the greens. Not surprised as they haven't done well out of the things they have full control over. Only a bit over 40% of the voting population voted to remain. Not that conclusive and membership to the EU would be a long path with other countries with breakaway regions making it difficult. People are being lied to pretending it'll be easy.

Reactions: 2
Why can’t England have a vote to become independent?
That would save us some work. Crack on

You mean like all those other small EUROPEAN countries that are doing grand on their own and who have progressive , fair, non-conservative leaders ?

• Heart
Reactions: 9
We have nowhere near full control of our country. Would you accept giving all your money to your neighbour and them only giving you a percentage of it back to pay for everything you need? What if you wanted a really big purchase but you needed to borrow the money for it, except your neighbour won't allow it! Your neighbour dictates your wage, a lot of the taxes you pay, who can and can't live on your street, they tell you you have to pay for things you don't need or want. That's what we have currently and it sinks.

Mon October 2023 and to finally end this unfair union.
We get back more than we pay in though.

The most glaring problem for me is that all EU nations have to vote to accept another nation into the EU. Spain is unlikely to because of their own independence kerfuffle with the Basques. Then there is the question of currency and central bank, then if all that is sorted, it takes 7 years to become a full member. Obviously, these aren't insurmountable odds, but I've yet to hear Ms Sturgeon address any of this and these are basic fundamental questions ... the red-tape around customs and constituional matters will be mind-bogling. Sometimes I get the feeling Nicola has just got too much f*cking time on her hands and is just whipping this all up to give her some purpose in life.

Reactions: 5
Disclaimer; I'm English, so my views may not be welcome / relevant and I certainly don't have nearly half the information regarding Scottish Independence and what it will mean. Maybe I'm naive.

Something dawned on me this week. Boris and his cronies / our political system is awful. I'm in no denial there, we are FAR from perfect, but looking at what is happening in America, I think we are pretty fortunate right now.

Reactions: 3
I've yet to hear Ms Sturgeon address any of this and these are basic fundamental questions ...

Sometimes I get the feeling Nicola has just got too much f*cking time on her hands and is just whipping this all up to give her some purpose in life.
The campaign has only just been launched. These questions will be answered, I have no doubt in that.

One of her parties main aims is to get Independence. She’s doing her job.

I’m not anti English, but I’m anti Westminster and pro Scottish Independence. I’ll be voting yes again and encouraging anyone who asks me about it to do the same.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I feel sorry for anyone that fooled by the SNP. they're going to be in for a huge disappointment if independence is got. Already some of the worst education and health records in Europe (stuff they already have control of) and this is only getting worse while the brave heart mentality is pursued at all costs.

Reactions: 7
I'm watching this from NI which is pretty much like living in hell right now and it'll get worse. Stupid question but what happens if Scotland get independence, do they rejoin the EU?

I'm watching this from NI which is pretty much like living in hell right now and it'll get worse. Stupid question but what happens if Scotland get independence, do they rejoin the EU?
I believe the aim would be to reapply to join. One of the main points of the Better Together campaign in 2014 was that a "no" vote was the only way to guarantee Scotland's future within the EU and look how that turned out. That's partly why there has been such a push for a new referendum as this was a main promise of that campaign and things have now changed so much with Scotland being taken out of the EU that people feel they need another say.

Reactions: 4
I believe the aim would be to reapply to join. One of the main points of the Better Together campaign in 2014 was that a "no" vote was the only way to guarantee Scotland's future within the EU and look how that turned out. That's partly why there has been such a push for a new referendum as this was a main promise of that campaign and things have now changed so much with Scotland being taken out of the EU that people feel they need another say.
Got ya. Think Brexit has created the same situation here but all hell will break loose if they push for it.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.