Nicola Sturgeon, SNP, Scottish Politics and Scottish Independence

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I sometimes joke that I wish the United Kingdom would break up and everyone just stop talking because I’m fed up of all the in-fighting and demonising. Sounds really lame but I do wish we would all get along.

Reactions: 4
Yes voter last time and yes voter this time round and I do believe there will be another vote. And for the people who say they think she will be in power if (when) Scotland become independent. She won’t. The SNP would disband as there would be no need for them. Certainly there would be similar parties with similar manifestos but it would give Scottish people a chance to vote for different parties they may not have been able to vote for before.
So are you saying the SNP are only in party for one thing only as in independence?

Reactions: 1
So are you saying the SNP are only in party for one thing only as in independence?
They will likely settle within another or create a new party. People are so daft to think that if we get independence it would mean the SNP in power forever.

Reactions: 5
Yes. The SNP is full of in the closet Tories (I see you John Swinney), Labour, lib dems etc that will all float to their natural parties when we get our independence.

I sometimes joke that I wish the United Kingdom would break up and everyone just stop talking because I’m fed up of all the in-fighting and demonising. Sounds really lame but I do wish we would all get along.
We could go the other way and have a good old fashioned war ... full employment, rationing (to help the obesity epidemic) ... 🤪

• Haha
I voted YES in 2014 but if there were to be another vote, for as long as the SNP want to re-join Europe, I am afraid it will be a NO from our household. I just cannot understand why they do not want to be ruled by Westminster but yet are quite happy to fund the unelected Eurocrats and be ruled by them.

Edited to add, does anyone else think she will now stand down?
Precisely.
I don’t believe she will stand down. She has stood firm arrogantly over worse scandals. Part of me believed she doesn’t want another referendum, she bleats on about it because she has to keep the cult happy they need the words independence uttered from her to make them happy. She knows there’s no appetite for a referendum, it’s not popular and she wouldn’t win. Hell she took it to the Supreme Court and her lawyers advised her she would lose.

Well we can’t get rid of the SNP now so it’s not crazy to think in an independent Scotland it would be any different, the vote is always split. And Sturgeon isn’t going to step down if she gets her way. Except when it goes wrong which it would, she would be out of Scotland so fast!

Last edited:
Yes voter last time and yes voter this time round and I do believe there will be another vote. And for the people who say they think she will be in power if (when) Scotland become independent. She won’t. The SNP would disband as there would be no need for them. Certainly there would be similar parties with similar manifestos but it would give Scottish people a chance to vote for different parties they may not have been able to vote for before.
I have heard this naive explanation many times and if you honestly think a party with over 100 MPs and MSPs would not try to ensure the system was gamed in their favour in a new parliament so they continue to feed from the trough?

If they truly believed in Independence they stop sending their MPs to Parliament and forgo their salaries the same as Sinn Fein did. However that deprive Iain Blackford of too many dinners.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I have heard this naive explanation many times and if you honestly think a party with over 100 MPs and MSPs would not try to ensure the system was gamed in their favour in a new parliament so they continue to feed from the trough?

If they truly believed in Independence they stop sending their MPs to Parliament and forgo their salaries the same as Sinn Fein did. However that deprive Iain Blackford of too many dinners.
I'd imagine most would veer towards an autonomous proper left wing labour party. There are lots of Tories in the SNP that are Eurosceptic and would gravitate towards them and there's John Mason who can duck right off.

Reactions: 3
If Scotland did go independent, would the EU want them to join? Because I thought you needed to have a certain amount of wealth, military etc to be part of the bloc?

If Scotland did go independent, would the EU want them to join? Because I thought you needed to have a certain amount of wealth, military etc to be part of the bloc?
They'd want Scotland for our fishing waters alone! Of course they would take us and I'd even be happy to join the Euro if it was a condition of the membership.

Reactions: 6
It’s NATO that requires 2% spend on military which I guess is possible even for a wee country?

EU requires a “functioning market economy” which an independent Scotland probably would have but it would still take a few years to join the EU. There’s just so many unknowns!

They'd want Scotland for our fishing waters alone! Of course they would take us and I'd even be happy to join the Euro if it was a condition of the membership.
Spain would veto our membership and it requires all 27 members to vote yes. The Euro is a condition now for any country joining which is activated once key economic targets are made.

Don't be so sure. And if it ever happens, it would be very long.

Spain would veto our membership and it requires all 27 members to vote yes. The Euro is a condition now for any country joining which is activated once key economic targets are made.
Spain have said they would not veto the vote if we voted yes in a legitimate, legal referendum. Jeez its like reading Daily Mail headlines in here.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Even if all members accepted, Scotland would have to be in conformity with all the conditions, as any other candidate, especially economic ones. Scotland would have to create all the institutions that are in London right now. Then there would be the border issue (EU/England) too.

Spain have said they would not veto the vote if we voted yes in a legitimate, legal referendum. Jeez its like reading Daily Mail headlines in here.
it’s like listening to UDI maniacs reading your posts. The snp would disband…..fishing waters….EU would welcome with open arms

more people continue to vote for unionist parties in elections than the SNP….the people continually speak

Reactions: 8
I work in a very specific area of the public sector in Scotland one which isn’t in the news a lot at the moment but the amount of manipulation of statistics and covering things up and downright dodgy policies in this area will end up with terrible consequences . Without sounding too Mumsnetty but it’s quite a niche sector so if that’s what it’s like in just one area of policy then I dread to think what it’s like in others .
the SNP seem to like change for change sake but never actually improve anything and even their more well meaning policies arent ever implemented in the way they want them to be and things end up in a mess due to different localities all doing their own interpretation of policies .I really just want governments who have as little impact and say in our day to day lives as possible after the last few years but to me the SNP seem to want to control so many things without realising the psyche of most Scottish people is at odds with their visions .

Reactions: 7
Europe have already said we can’t rejoin the EU. Our deficit Is far too high and Spain wouldn’t vote. If we had got independence we would have been out of the EU anyway.

Fishermen are also pretty angry as is my understanding that the SG want to hand over power straight back to Brussels.

For me, the EU referendum was the breaking point. We were told explicitly that the only way to stay in the EU was to stay in the UK. Well look how that has turned out!!!

And if unionists are so sure there is no appetite for independence, what's the problem with having Indyref 2??? It'll just confirm it!!!

I was an hesitant Yes in 2014. Now, I feel independence is the only way forward for Scotland.

The Tory Party won't be happy till they've brought back Workhouses and brought in euthanasia for the poor, old and sick. And the Labour Party should get prosecuted under the Trades Description Act.

The fact that English people were popping up on the news wanting Bawjaws back as Prime minister just confirmed to me that they're putting drugs in the English water supply.

It's obvious this is no longer a union of equals. We want different types of society. Scottish people want a more equal society and English people don't.

I'll be interested to see how Nicola takes this forward. Personally I think she won't want to get her hands dirty so she'll jump ship.

But somebody needs to do something radical!!!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Spain have already said they would not do this. If you’re assuming they would because of their situation with Catalunya, they recognise that Scotland was a country prior to joining this allegedly voluntary union, whereas Catalunya has only ever been a region. I believe this is still the position and do watch / keep up with Spanish news channels as I have a home there.

Spanish Consul Miguel Ángel Vecino Quintana wrote: “Spain will not block Scotland’s entry into the European Union if independence is legally achieved and such has always been the intention of the Spanish Government.”

Obviously, until the time comes, nothing is guaranteed but I haven’t read/seen anything which would suggest otherwise. Why do you think otherwise @Glortard?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.