Nicola Sturgeon, SNP, Scottish Politics and Scottish Independence

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Why do the majority vote for SNP if they aren’t that good? Is it because a majority wants independence?
The majority do not vote for the SNP but as there are 3 opposition parties in the elections those that do not vote SNP are voting for 1 of 3 parties. Whilst those that support the SNP or broadly support independence are voting for the SNP. As there are 73 MSPs directly elected they pick up the majority of them whilst the 3 main parties get theirs from the regional lists.

Reactions: 5
I'm English, so I have no say in it and would obviously respect the way Scotland would vote in a referendum, but it's pretty clear she's going to keep pushing for referendum after referendum until she gets her way.

I can understand why that would annoy Scottish people. It may even be counter productive, as a lot of "No" voters will surely feel more emboldened to vote the same way next time, because they'll feel like Sturgeon is saying "are you sure?"

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I'm English, so I have no say in it and would obviously respect the way Scotland would vote in a referendum, but it's pretty clear she's going to keep pushing for referendum after referendum until she gets her way.

I can understand why that would annoy Scottish people. It may even be counter productive, as a lot of "No" voters will surely feel more emboldened to vote the same way next time, because they'll feel like Sturgeon is saying "are you sure?"
She wouldn't be pushing as hard if England didn't vote for Brexit. Honestly don't think their would be as big a push for indyref2 if we didn't have the EU referendum.

Reactions: 8
Denying democracy
This is not what happened. they had the once in a generation vote already. You can't keep having a once in a generation vote until you get the result you want. they held the last vote knowing DC had promised an in out EU ref the year before. Should have pushed back the indy ref if they thought the result of this was so significant

I voted no in 2014.

If another Indyref was to be done Im very undecided. I am not a no like I was in 2014 but Im also not sure Id vote yes either.

I know so many people the same. My partner was a no in 2014 but would be a yes now. I guess there will be people who would swing the other way aswell.

Not sure what the answer is really. Feel like if another Indyref happened and the answer is still no will that satisfy it or will it go on and on?

If the result the next time would be respected I would be keen for it to happen for the chips to fall where they fall and be done with it because I am sick of hearing about it.

Reactions: 3
I voted no in 2014.

If another Indyref was to be done Im very undecided. I am not a no like I was in 2014 but Im also not sure Id vote yes either.

I know so many people the same. My partner was a no in 2014 but would be a yes now. I guess there will be people who would swing the other way aswell.

Not sure what the answer is really. Feel like if another Indyref happened and the answer is still no will that satisfy it or will it go on and on?

If the result the next time would be respected I would be keen for it to happen for the chips to fall where they fall and be done with it because I am sick of hearing about it.
I feel exactly the same. Sick of hearing about it now.

Reactions: 2
This is not what happened. they had the once in a generation vote already. You can't keep having a once in a generation vote until you get the result you want. they held the last vote knowing DC had promised an in out EU ref the year before. Should have pushed back the indy ref if they thought the result of this was so significant
Where on the ballot or signed agreement did it say it was once in a generation. Be very specific. I don't want quotes from Salmond or Strugeon. There was nothing to say this vote was once in a generation, once a year or never again. Its up to the Scottish people when we want to vote. No one else.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Where on the ballot or signed agreement did it say it was once in a generation. Be very specific. I don't want quotes from Salmond or Strugeon. There was nothing to say this vote was once in a generation, once a year or never again. Its up to the Scottish people when we want to vote. No one else.
let's have a vote every year on it 😆.

The main players said it's once in a generation.

They should let the English, Welsh and N. Irish vote on whether we still want the Scots or not 😂
Sorry to burst your bubble but I think Northern Ireland will be off the first chance they get. The Good Friday Agreement allows for a referendum on a United Ireland when there’s a good chance it will pass. Considering Sinn Fein are now the biggest party North and South of the border the demographic is shifting thick and fast.

The Scottish people should have a right to decide. It shouldn’t be up to London. There’s people who are eligible to vote now who would’ve been 8 years old when the first referendum was held. They deserve a say in their future. Too much has happened since to just assume that the last result is still what people want.

Reactions: 13
She wouldn't be pushing as hard if England didn't vote for Brexit. Honestly don't think their would be as big a push for indyref2 if we didn't have the EU referendum.
Yes she would. One trick pony. All she has to offer is a land of milk and honey and won't ever stop .

Reactions: 2
I voted YES in 2014 but if there were to be another vote, for as long as the SNP want to re-join Europe, I am afraid it will be a NO from our household. I just cannot understand why they do not want to be ruled by Westminster but yet are quite happy to fund the unelected Eurocrats and be ruled by them.

Edited to add, does anyone else think she will now stand down?

Reactions: 6
I agree she wouldn't be pushing as hard, but it's clear she wouldn't have ever taken 'No' as a long term decision.

If the EU referendum result had been to remain in the EU, Sturgeon would probably haved used the shambolic Tories as the reason for another referendum. After all, the Scottish don't vote for the Conservative party in any great numbers, so the same "but we didn't vote for this" reason could have been used, regardless of Brexit.

I voted YES in 2014 but if there were to be another vote, for as long as the SNP want to re-join Europe, I am afraid it will be a NO from our household. I just cannot understand why they do not want to be ruled by Westminster but yet are quite happy to fund the unelected Eurocrats and be ruled by them.
I think you raise a good point here and you won't be alone. She forgets that Brexit voting Scots who were previously in favour of independence may not be now.

let's have a vote every year on it 😆.

The main players said it's once in a generation.
So it never said once in a generation then? The only people who should be able to decide when we have another referendum is the Scottish people. To deny that is to deny democracy. If No voters and Union hard ons were so confident of a No again why are they not pressing on with a vote as it will kill independence for years. At least a generation 😉

So it never said once in a generation then? The only people who should be able to decide when we have another referendum is the Scottish people. To deny that is to deny democracy. If No voters and Union hard ons were so confident of a No again why are they not pressing on with a vote as it will kill independence for years. At least a generation 😉
Not really, we are part of a Union so only right that the Union has a say on whether we can break away or not.

I think the thought of another vote, the costs involved, the time and focus it would take is most definitely not the right time. There are far too many other priorities in Scotland that need millions of £££ throwing at them before millions are used for another referendum.

I am exactly the same. As I said before I think timing here is everything and this is definitely not the time.

I think it’s possibly time for her to step down, I have a great deal of respect for her and some of her work but I think the constant referendum pushing is just getting old now. The country is buggered in so many ways currently - she’s be much better off trying to sort that than prove a point.

Reactions: 1
...She needs to get a grip on Scottish education otherwise no one will be able to read the bleeping ballot when and if it ever arrives. She seems fixated on Independence to the detriment of the citizens of Scotland here and now, it's utterly bonkers.
I'm convinced this is part of a strategy, much like the republicans in the US... Keep people uneducated, unable to think critically and watch as the cult lives on. I find it utterly bizarre that anyone can vote for these self-serving charlatans given their records on health and education.

Just for the record, I find ALL politicians and political parties to be self-serving, but the SNP are the most egregious of the lot. At least the tories don't try to hide their arseholery. The nats try to make out they're all about the good of the people, when they are the most harmful and devisive shower of bastards out.

bullshit! she will keep pushing and pushing she doesn't need Brexit as an excuse reminds me of a petulant child who can't take no for an answer!

Reactions: 4
It stops people asking her why are you doing so shite with things when all she has to do is shout "westminster bad" and people cheer. She has been doing this long before brexit and will continue as long as she remains in leadership.

Reactions: 4

naw if she wants to be in Europe so much maybe she could do us all a favour an f... off to France with her foo foo!

• Haha
  • Heart
Yes voter last time and yes voter this time round and I do believe there will be another vote. And for the people who say they think she will be in power if (when) Scotland become independent. She won’t. The SNP would disband as there would be no need for them. Certainly there would be similar parties with similar manifestos but it would give Scottish people a chance to vote for different parties they may not have been able to vote for before.

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.