Nicola Sturgeon, SNP, Scottish Politics and Scottish Independence

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Is this not similar to the UK??? We vote for a local MP/Party. We dont vote for Prime Minister.

I'm not a fan of NS. But the levels people stoop to to denigrate her is laughable. The SNP are basically the only show in town In Scotland. Labour are a busted flush and only rampent unionists/capitalists vote for the Tories.

So like her or loathe her, NS keeps winning elections.
It is but it does not stop her and the likes of Ian Blackford mentioning that about Westminster when it has happened. I despise her because under her leadership in so many areas - health, education, transport have sunk to new levels. I was once a member of the SNP but she has transformed what was once a democratic party (where members had a say/input into policies) into a cult with her as the leader. Proposals have been made that any independence supporter must agree that trans woman are woman or they are thrown out of the movement.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
The same as all good populist parties. What did you think of Alex Salmond? He gave me the creeps too.
The SNP under Alex is night and day compared to what it is now. Under him different voices and people that disagreed with where allowed. The party itself was member driven with motions being put forward from branches that where adopted at national level. Under NS this has all been dismantled with motions coming from the NEC which consists of people more interested than gender politics than independence. The CEO of the SNP is her husband which should never have been allowed. We are having more tendrils of the SG in everyday life from rewriting of Scottish History in schools from the 1300's up to the independence referendum under NS in 2014 to a grant for a book publishers to print a book of Nicola's speeches.

Lastly the first reaction when footage was leaked of a SNP meeting where MP's shouted their support for Patrick Grady (sex pest) was not to apologise but to start a witchhunt for the leaker. Stuff like that has all the hallmarks of a cult

Reactions: 1
Lastly the first reaction when footage was leaked of a SNP meeting where MP's shouted their support for Patrick Grady (sex pest) was not to apologise but to start a witchhunt for the leaker. Stuff like that has all the hallmarks of a cult
Having a leader of a party for more than, say, 5 years? Also seems a bit unhealthy. I don't know how long Nicola has been leader, or Alex before her ... but common sense would suggest it would likely turn a bit stale and smelly. A bit like the local county-coucil where I live ... same old faces, nothing changes, nothing happens, other than county-councillours get pay-rises and give their friends/relatives lucrative contracts.

Having a leader of a party for more than, say, 5 years? Also seems a bit unhealthy. I don't know how long Nicola has been leader, or Alex before her ... but common sense would suggest it would likely turn a bit stale and smelly. A bit like the local county-coucil where I live ... same old faces, nothing changes, nothing happens, other than county-councillours get pay-rises and give their friends/relatives lucrative contracts.
8 Years now with NS in charge. Salmond was in charge of the SNP for much longer with breaks in between and included the 1990's when they only had a handful of MPs

It is but it does not stop her and the likes of Ian Blackford mentioning that about Westminster when it has happened. I despise her because under her leadership in so many areas - health, education, transport have sunk to new levels. I was once a member of the SNP but she has transformed what was once a democratic party (where members had a say/input into policies) into a cult with her as the leader. Proposals have been made that any independence supporter must agree that trans woman are woman or they are thrown out of the movement.
I can't stand Nicola Sturgeon. But there's no way I'm letting Thick Lizzie or a Non Dom Millionaire run her down.

I've always felt that part of the reason she's delayed going for independence is that she knows when Scotland is independent, the games a bogey for the SNP.

Just now, they're the only show in town. But come independence, I suspect lots of people like me will want a different party to vote for.

And the SNP need to be careful - Maggie neutered all her potential rivals and the party was in the wilderness for yrs. Wouldn't surprise me if this is the future of the SNP

Reactions: 3
8 Years now with NS in charge. Salmond was in charge of the SNP for much longer with breaks in between and included the 1990's when they only had a handful of MPs
Salmond always gave off bad vibes.. look how that turned out. I’ve met NS a few times, just briefly but she’s the only politician I’ve ever met that actually seems like a human being. I was never up for independence but the way things have gone since the referendum and how disgusting the tories/brexit etc etc I would do anything to go independent and have nothing to do with any of them.

Salmond always gave off bad vibes.. look how that turned out. I’ve met NS a few times, just briefly but she’s the only politician I’ve ever met that actually seems like a human being. I was never up for independence but the way things have gone since the referendum and how disgusting the tories/brexit etc etc I would do anything to go independent and have nothing to do with any of them.
As a leader, she's miles ahead of Truss or Rishi, and I think they know it.

What is alarming is how these leadership debates seem to be conflating Sturgeon with the very legitimacy of a devolved government. Whether it's Truss saying how she's going to 'ignore' the FM, or Rishi saying how apparently Nicola doesn't believe in devolution, and then he comes out with how he will deliver some sort of Green party localism, yet it's not that, it's about overlooking the devolved government's authority completely.

It's pretty concerning the things they are coming out with, a lot of projecting, a lot of not staying in their lane when it comes to the devolved powers. And who are they trying to impress with all of this, a minority of conservative members who want the Scottish Parliament abolished or something?

I thought Rishi would be the lesser of two evils here to be honest, he at the least hasn't tried to start WW bloody 3 by encouraging British citizens to go fight in Ukraine, the bar is that low. But yeah, is this the best of the bunch? No diplomacy to your 'family' or 'neighbour' or whatever they are trying to call the UK members, nevermind on a global stage.

• Heart
As a leader, she's miles ahead of Truss or Rishi, and I think they know it.

What is alarming is how these leadership debates seem to be conflating Sturgeon with the very legitimacy of a devolved government. Whether it's Truss saying how she's going to 'ignore' the FM, or Rishi saying how apparently Nicola doesn't believe in devolution, and then he comes out with how he will deliver some sort of Green party localism, yet it's not that, it's about overlooking the devolved government's authority completely.

It's pretty concerning the things they are coming out with, a lot of projecting, a lot of not staying in their lane when it comes to the devolved powers. And who are they trying to impress with all of this, a minority of conservative members who want the Scottish Parliament abolished or something?

I thought Rishi would be the lesser of two evils here to be honest, he at the least hasn't tried to start WW bloody 3 by encouraging British citizens to go fight in Ukraine, the bar is that low. But yeah, is this the best of the bunch? No diplomacy to your 'family' or 'neighbour' or whatever they are trying to call the UK members, nevermind on a global stage.
Yes, let’s be real - we all know they don’t give a tit about Scotland or it’s people. the issue they have with devolution is ‘breaking up the uk’ not what that actually means and the positive aspects of it. I’m currently on holiday in London and we are just different, not in a good way or bad.. just truly different people and cultures.

totally agree on all points, Truss is worse because of how she grew up yet this is what she’s become, what I can’t understand is why Rishi even bothers… just go be a billionaire then you wouldn’t have to pretend to care about 80% of the population. But it’s just that Tory mindset isn’t it? Being PM is the end game no matter if you are right for it!

Reactions: 5
and Nicola Sturgeon didn't know what was going on aye right! she waited until she was leader of the party and used what happened to the poor women victims for her own gain!

Salmond was found not guilty of all the charges and the most serious one that was brought is now subject to a perjury investigation against the complainer. Never before has anonymity been granted like that in a Scottish court even after the not guilty findings.

The problems with our country are all things that are controlled by the Scottish Government - Westminster is just a useful bogeyman to bring out to cover up multiple failings.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Salmond was found not guilty of all the charges and the most serious one that was brought is now subject to a perjury investigation against the complainer. Never before has anonymity been granted like that in a Scottish court even after the not guilty findings.
The biggest crime Nicola committed was offenses to denim. She should never wear jeans again imo. ;) (Same goes for Alex, but I don't think he has ... at least I hope not).

Yes, let’s be real - we all know they don’t give a tit about Scotland or it’s people. the issue they have with devolution is ‘breaking up the uk’ not what that actually means and the positive aspects of it. I’m currently on holiday in London and we are just different, not in a good way or bad.. just truly different people and cultures.

totally agree on all points, Truss is worse because of how she grew up yet this is what she’s become, what I can’t understand is why Rishi even bothers… just go be a billionaire then you wouldn’t have to pretend to care about 80% of the population. But it’s just that Tory mindset isn’t it? Being PM is the end game no matter if you are right for it!
London is totally different to everywhere in the UK. I feel like an alien when I go to London and i'm a northerner. It's a great city but has more in common with Paris than anywhere else in England , Scotland etc.

The problems with our country are all things that are controlled by the Scottish Government - Westminster is just a useful bogeyman to bring out to cover up multiple failings.
Like what?

and Nicola Sturgeon didn't know what was going on aye right! she waited until she was leader of the party and used what happened to the poor women victims for her own gain!
Of course she would have known, in the same way that all politicians know the story’s about the other ones. She was playing the long game for sure.

The same as all good populist parties. What did you think of Alex Salmond? He gave me the creeps too.
He was banned from using the lounge at Edinburgh airport because he kept groping the staff . In fact he might have been banned from using the airport, not 100% sure about that.
He was known as a slimy groper.

Lots of detail if you google it

Reactions: 3
I’m currently on holiday in London and we are just different, not in a good way or bad.. just truly different people and cultures.
I lived in the south of England for 6 years and different is the only word I can think of to describe how it was! Really nice place, really nice people but just.. so different in so many ways.

So, has anyone else seen the video of journalist James Cook being attacked by nationalists? It's awful. I think a lot of people just turn a blind eye to the full reality of the nationalist movement in Scotland, and the conspiracy theories and bigotry that runs rampant.

This is what worries me about the independence movement. Whist yes, there may be a civic nationalism, a lot of these 'grassroots' groups still bitter from the referendum are concerning. We saw what happened to Jo Cox, and how hate crimes increased due to Brexit. We know how journalists have been treated by nationalist and far right movements and governments elsewhere. So to have a journalist be questioned on his 'Scottishness' be told he is a liar, have someone repeat 17th century legislation as if it's valid for today's climate, it's not good. These facebook yessers seem to live in an echo chamber, and we saw how this translates irl with those who were abusing the journalist. Apparently conservative members were also verbally abused and spat at too?! Do these extreme nationalists not understand, that even in an independent Scotland, they will still have to build a so called progressive country (because apparently Scotland will be exceptional in every way if we just get rid of the 'tories') with the people they are abusing like this?

I think the online yes movement has given a lot of bored people a sense of purpose and superiority, just for being in their eyes on the 'right side'.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 2
So, has anyone else seen the video of journalist James Cook being attacked by nationalists? It's awful. I think a lot of people just turn a blind eye to the full reality of the nationalist movement in Scotland, and the conspiracy theories and bigotry that runs rampant.
I do think there are quite a lot of unhappy, bitter, people around (for whatever reasons) and they get fixated on a subject (Brexit/Independence/Gender/Environment etc.) and use it to project their own misery through acts of violence or unsocial behaviour. Of course, social media only adds fuel to the fire, as do various parties (media/political) who hope to gain from it (power/money). It's all very sad imo and as per usual, it's just us 'normal' people who are just trying to get through the day and keep our family safe who suffer. I don't really know what the answer is other than to try and rise above it.

Reactions: 2

This is what worries me about the independence movement. Whist yes, there may be a civic nationalism, a lot of these 'grassroots' groups still bitter from the referendum are concerning. We saw what happened to Jo Cox, and how hate crimes increased due to Brexit. We know how journalists have been treated by nationalist and far right movements and governments elsewhere. So to have a journalist be questioned on his 'Scottishness' be told he is a liar, have someone repeat 17th century legislation as if it's valid for today's climate, it's not good. These facebook yessers seem to live in an echo chamber, and we saw how this translates irl with those who were abusing the journalist. Apparently conservative members were also verbally abused and spat at too?! Do these extreme nationalists not understand, that even in an independent Scotland, they will still have to build a so called progressive country (because apparently Scotland will be exceptional in every way if we just get rid of the 'tories') with the people they are abusing like this?

I think the online yes movement has given a lot of bored people a sense of purpose and superiority, just for being in their eyes on the 'right side'.
A lot of the independence movement which is separate to the SNP as the majority have left the party is full of nutters. There has been discussions on banning first and even 2nd generation English people from voting as they will vote no. In the same piece it was argued that English people had taken all the best jobs up here. When I pointed out that all of the top public sector jobs where occupied by Scots it was met by silence. You will frequently come across comments about the security services will make sure it’s a no…..the current head of MI5 incidentally was born in Glasgow, grew up here, went to University also here before moving south. The arguments they use for independence is never backed up by evidence that we are managing things better in Scotland it’s a mixture of Thatcher saying a majority of MPs are enough, to the treaty of the union.

Apologises if this has already been spoken about as I have only skimmed parts of the thread so far, has anyone met Nicola or known someone who has? What was she like?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.