Nicola Sturgeon, SNP, Scottish Politics and Scottish Independence

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
At the end of the day if WM are so confident that the Scottish people want to remain in the union then there's nothing to be feared from a second referendum? šŸ¤­
Exactly this. And if Scotland are such a drain on resources (as many people claim - ie England supports Scotland and we couldn't afford to be independent) then why fight so hard to keep us? Surely it would benefit England more if they said "cheerio" and waved to us from the border as we went on our own merry way.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Boris is fuelling the support for the SNP/independence imo.

People in Scotland are so opposed to him and his party. Hes a crook and his cronies are only out to serve themselves. The level of corruption is unreal.

So I think thats why hes brought up. Thats just my opinion though.

Reactions: 4
Exactly this. And if Scotland are such a drain on resources (as many people claim - ie England supports Scotland and we couldn't afford to be independent) then why fight so hard to keep us? Surely it would benefit England more if they said "cheerio" and waved to us from the border as we went on our own merry way.
Exactly. The same old argument happens here in NI that we're a drain on the UK and the ROI couldn't afford us etc yet every single independent study shows that an All Ireland economy would thrive. They know people get scared when the talk turns to money. It's to make people fear the unknown and err on the side of caution when it comes to voting. The same old "better the devil you know" rhetoric that sees useless politicians re-elected time after time and then people wonder why nothing ever changes. I would love to see an Scotland independent.

Reactions: 5
Under SNP rule education, healthcare and social care have become worse and these are things she has control of. The deficit is way too high to join the EU as it's worse than Greece and ppl now see what a mistake that was cooking the books to let Greece join and the huge austerity imposed on them which has made ppl poorer. The financial case for an independent Scotland is very weak indeed. They should have set it in law that there was to be no more vote for 50 yrs or something in the last vote.
My free at point of access university education , prescriptions , early years chid care funding & provision , quick access to my GP today, newly refurbished good performing local schools and professional connections in the social care arena would disagree .
I also think our children should have the right to vote for their futures so yeah, 50 years šŸ‘šŸ˜‘
ETA I pay top rate Scottish tax and itā€™s worth it.

Reactions: 4
It really is incredible to see. Any videos Ive seen have made me emotional. It shows you what power as people we hold.

Except protesting is soon not to be allowed, I wonder why they dont want us to do it. šŸ˜¤

Reactions: 2
Never been so proud to be from the Glasgow area as I am today. Incredible city. Everyone is welcome here. Lots of love to any fellow Weegies on this thread šŸ’™
Lots of love right back to you. It was so emotional watching it play out. Speaks volumes that this was done today of all days.

Reactions: 2
I presume if Scotland did get independence that the BAE contracts would be moved to barrow and other English shipyards?

How would Scotland pay its way in the Eu if they can join up, which I find doubtful because of reasons already mentioned (Spain )

Reactions: 1
I wish Scotland would just f*ck-off. And I love the Scots. But I'm tired of this Independence cr@p. Just go. Unless the EU change their entry rules (which they probably will just to p1ss-off us English) it takes 10 years to apply to be a member state of the EU and all members have to vote for it. Spain will never vote, because it'll mean the Basque's will leave Spain. It's a joke. Plus Scotland will need their own currency. LOL. At the moment my English tax is paying Scotland for free University fee's and healthcare prescriptions.

And what is my Scottish tax money paying for?

You have actual proof English tax money goes directly to us in Scotland and not say the NHS in England etc?

Reactions: 5
I think Spain have already said they wouldnt oppose it.

Not sure about the shipyards, there are other jobs in Scotland. Pretty sure loads of work has been pulled already over the years.
Yeah and the shipyard contracts that were promised as part of the No deal never materialised either.

I wish Scotland would just f*ck-off. And I love the Scots. But I'm tired of this Independence cr@p. Just go. Unless the EU change their entry rules (which they probably will just to p1ss-off us English) it takes 10 years to apply to be a member state of the EU and all members have to vote for it. Spain will never vote, because it'll mean the Basque's will leave Spain. It's a joke. Plus Scotland will need their own currency. LOL. At the moment my English tax is paying Scotland for free University fee's and healthcare prescriptions.
Wow!!! Do you think we donā€™t work in Scotland, donā€™t pay tax ??
If Scotland brought nothing to the table, would Boris not just wave bye. Mmmmmm lovely to hear you love the Scots but your single mindedness is rediculous!

Reactions: 7
These stories are suggesting that current policy's are increasing discrimination

Anglophobia is a bigger problem than Islamophobia in Scotland and should be tackled in the same way, politicians warn
  • Councillors in Moray say more abuse is being hurled at English 'minority group'
  • Group have called for policy to tackle Anglophobia, similar to Islamophobia plan
  • One Scottish councillor was told: 'Go back to England!' due to his weak accent

• Sad
These stories are suggesting that current policy's are increasing discrimination

Anglophobia is a bigger problem than Islamophobia in Scotland and should be tackled in the same way, politicians warn
  • Councillors in Moray say more abuse is being hurled at English 'minority group'
  • Group have called for policy to tackle Anglophobia, similar to Islamophobia plan
  • One Scottish councillor was told: 'Go back to England!' due to his weak accent

This doesnā€™t surprise me.

I honestly dont know what will happen if there is another referendum and its no. Will the SNPs popularity wane? Or will Holyrood just be SNP forever more? I just cant see Labour and Conservative supporters lending there vote to each other forever more either. If its a no these people will still want the SNP out of Holyrood?

Im sitting tight and watching closely. When the Tory spending comes to an end and the inevitable cuts start to come will the tide turn in UK politics as a whole? Or will people just accept that we now live in a police state goverened by corrupt officials.
ā€œA police state goverened by corrupt officialsā€.

At present there are people in Russia, China, Iran, Venezuela, Belarus, North Korea, and Turkmenistan staring open mouthed at that statement. If they could see it off course. Which they canā€™t. Because it will be censored. Which is exactly how a Real Police state operates, not the fantasy one you have constructed in your head.

Or an attempt to win over floating voters with hate rhetoric in the lead up the the May elections.
Iā€™m not saying these things didnā€™t happen, but theyā€™re 100% a spin on it for votes. There are arseholes everywhere that hurl y abuse that donā€™t make headlines

It's been obvious from the outset Spain would reject Scottish independence due to the Basque region in their own country. Remember it takes all nations to take in a new member. Plus we have the currency issue. The woman is myopic, bonkers. She once said she'd been dreaming of Scottish Independence from the age of 13. Most 13 year old girls are probably thinking about hair, nails, make-up, boys (or girls), etc. etc. She's a bleeping weirdo.

Then there is her slagging-off Boris and Trump (don't blame her for that tbf) for being populists. Does she know what the term means? My GOD. This women's whole agenda is aimed at winding-up pig-ignorant people (not their fault). Get a life love. Geeezus.

Not sure if you picked-up on the SNP's proposal to saw an inch off all doors in schools to help ventilation (for COVID-19). LOL. Nevermind the fire-risk, a lot of Scottish schools still have asbestos in their doors etc. etc. You really couldn't make it up. Ok, I get some scottish people hate the English etc. etc. But come on, the woman is nuts.

ps. How is this woman still leader of SNP? Don't they have a minimum 4 year term or something? She's like Putin with Haggis instead of Nukes. Nutcase.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
Or maybe this is an attempt by the media to dismiss what most people who want Scottish independence, as Anti English. I am very sceptical about these articles. I personally have campaigned for Scottish independence and will continue to do so. I donā€™t hate england. I actually love some parts of england. I love my English friends and i hate the way the word independence is such a dirty word like it automatically means we hate English people. Thatā€™s what the tories and Westminster want people to think. Itā€™s ridiculous. Also do people not realise that if (when šŸ¤ž) Scotland becomes independent the SNP will not be the snp anymore and we will have many other parties to choose from? Youā€™re going to see a lot of these daft articles coming soon to try and drum up sympathy for these poor English people that have been abused in Scotland. Aye right, we are one of the most welcoming nations in the world. We just want to be governed by the party we (continuously) voted for- not Westminster.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.