New York! (Let’s pretend covid doesn’t exist lol)

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Buy a New York pass - worth their money for sure. Doesn’t matter what you do as long as you roughly plan your day. Even if you just do approx areas each day so then you don’t waste so much time travelling

Reactions: 4
You get rude people where ever you go.

Honestly can't say it was particularly noticeable in NY. People are just different 🤷 I think Londoners are rude when I compare them to Northerners. Or the Spanish! 😂

Reactions: 4
This is the first year in ages that I’ve not been to NYC. It’s my favourite place in the world. September is the nicest month to visit. Summer months are too hot. Went in August once, never again. Last year we got caught up in storm Ezekiel in November and I’ve never been so cold. Halloween is great there; everyone dresses up and the parade in Greenwich village is incredible but very crowded. Midtown around Lexington is a great area to stay. Only stayed once in Times Square. Everyone has mentioned all the great things to see/do so I won’t repeat them. Stay in a hotel with a rooftop bar if you can.
In all the times I’ve been I’ve never been in a taxi. Walk or take the subway. We’ve met some great people and they love the English accent. Fingers crossed 2021 will see travel there opened up but I‘m not holding my breath.

Reactions: 1
Love New York. Last time we went we stayed at the Hotel Metro which has now been refurbed and is now called the Kixby. Had a rooftop bar. It’s right next to the Empire State and 5-10 min walk to Times Square. As it’s not ‘in’ Times Square itself we didn’t have to pay a resort fee which is around $25-40 per room per night depending on hotels and is compulsory so this saved us a bit of money

Defo agree about the New York Explorer Pass. We did choose 5 and did hop on hop off bus, 9/11 museum, Empire State, Top of the Rock and Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island

Top of the Rock in the morning and Empire State at night

9/11 very moving and really interesting when we came out we’d been in there nearly 3 hours without realising

Brooklyn Bridge

Oh I’m glad I found this thread. I’ve always wanted to go to New York but a couple of people I know went separately and absolutely hated it. They both were taken aback by how rude everyone was. Did anyone else find this?
I found the people really friendly but I also found New York overrated. I’ve been a lot with work and I just felt I was getting harrassed to buy stuff or as someone earlier mentioned, people dressed up as characters on the cadge for money. All my workmates loved the shopping but for me there was nothing of interest except Sephora, the mens clothing ranges are better than womens. I’m more a girly girl into British high street stores and couldn’t really find stuff to match my tastes.
I love the architecture so for me I appreciated the walking side of it, looking up and around at the majestic buildings and going for coffee in picturesque locations ie not Starbucks but Grand Central Station, Waldorf Astoria hotel, Plaza hotel as seen in Home Alone 2.
It’s definitely a bucket list destination though, won’t deny that!

Reactions: 2
I agree with all the recommendations, and especially encourage the Brooklyn Bridge (and the park below) advice. It’s one thing to be IN Manhattan, but another to look out at it from across the water (or over it, if you’re on the bridge). Not only are the views fantastic, but it makes for a great walk and the bridge itself is beautiful. For another view of the city (and a cheap, quick ferry ride), Governors Island is a quaint little island that has lesser known NYC history, and it makes for a nice short break from all the hustling around you’ll be doing while sightseeing. You won’t need to spend more than an hour there to enjoy the views and a bit of quiet while staring out at the NY harbor or people watching :) Pre-covid, they had food trucks and rotating art installations on display and will reopen for visitors next spring.

Have a safe, happy visit! And yes, I echo the advice to come during the spring or fall when the weather is more pleasant.

Last edited:
I loved NYC when I went about a year ago. I honestly had the time of my life. I try to travel alot and have been to various countries and cities but even now when I look back at my pictures of NYC, they feel like they arent real? Like did I really go there and experience it?!

I would definitely recommend the New York Pass as everyone mentioned. We used it for all the attractions we wanted to see. 9/11 museum, top of the rock, empire state (do this one at night!), etc. Wereally enjoyed the Ray's pizza near our hotel. The pizza slices are HUGE and cheap so we had them ALOT when coming back to our hotel even though we had already eaten. You do a lot of walking so be prepared for lots of snacking too.

HIGHLY recommend cycling in Central Park - i think this was the highlight of my trip. We had a blast and got so lost in that huge park! Having the bikes mean you explore the park faster, have fun and also get to see all the different movie settings (like bird scene in Home Alone). We also walked the Brooklyn Bridge and loved DUMBO and the ferries across.

I will say, only buy souvenirs on your last day in the city and if possible, if you venture out of the main tourist attractions, they are always cheaper so buy them then. During your stay, just pop in and out of the souvenir shops (there are loads) and take notice of prices and dont be afraid to tell the shop keepers to give you time.

Two things I wish I did was buy tickets to a NBA game and go see the Friends cafe/place but it was so out of the way we just didnt get a chance.

Last point - I didnt come across any rude people. Everyone was lovely. However I was really surprised how prevalent Spanish is - they have street signs in Spanish and almost everyone you meet is speaking a foreign language which was nice to see. I think a certain demographic in the UK would have an aneurysm is London was like NYC in that regard:whistle:

Love NYC and like you am planning another trip in the eternal hope that covid decides to bugger off soon!

Stayed at Yotel. Cheap, clean and short walk from Times Square.

9/11 museum is a must. Sobering but informative.

Wall Street. Great for a walk around and there’s a sandwich place called Pisello that does the best sandwiches 👌🏼

Empire State at day and night- you can get a sunrise sunset ticket. We got a yellow cab at night to time the last admission and pretty much had it all to ourselves. Perfect.

Rockefeller Centre.

Walk the Brooklyn Bridge at Night

The free Staten Island ferry for views! Get on, wait for a bit at Staten Island then come straight back.

Juilianas in Brooklyn. It’s next door to Grimaldi’s and in my opinion much better!

Grand Central is beautiful, there’s a cafe under the bridge which does great American breakfasts.

Central Park is huge! Lose yourself in it and be prepared with comfy shoes!

Friends building and Carrie Bradshaw if you are a fan of the shows!

Controversial but I would not recommend the high line. We went in January so it wasn’t lush and green. Just full of “monks” scamming tourists for money. Nothing special but I’m not sure if it depends on the time of year.

Same for American museum of national history. Full of diorama’s and dull. My brother was looking at what he thought was a fossil in a glass casing. The curator in that part of the museum came over to explain it to him. Told him it was a REPLICA and that it wasn’t the real thing. After that, we soon lost interest!

Ooh get the city pass and the 7 day metropass.
Oh my word noooo. I adore the Museum of Natural History. Over the course of 3/4 trips to NYC have spent 2 full rainy days there and had a blast.

Op - Unless you want to go through the most intense security processes then skip Statue of Liberty. Free Staten Island ferry for views. We went up to the Crown of the Liberty. On those tiny ladders was where I found out I have claustrophobia. Nearly vomited when I got back to the ground. It was hellish! Didn’t help out tickets were on the day of a hellish storm. Should have just stayed indoors that day 😂

If any visits around Nov/Dec I love the Radio City Hall Rockettes Christmas spectacular.

New York is the best.

I miss NYC, I love it so much. Highlights when I went were Central Park/Upper East Side - it was spring & the blossom was out in CP. I went to an amazing Italian restaurant on the Upper West Side - wish I could remember what it was called!

Sorry if it’s been mentioned but the Staten Island ferry is free to see the Statue of Liberty. It was very busy when I was on it (probably because it’s free!) but great views of Manhattan when you get to Staten Island.

I’d love to go back in Autumn/Winter! I also want to visit MOMA.

I detested the place. Went for Christmas, don’t know what was expecting but it was disappointing for me personally but maybe I’m just not a city break kinda person. Vegas was more enjoyable.
That’s interesting. Why do you think it was a let down?

I have been in September, January and December. September was incredible: perfect weather and it was a brilliant city. Jan we lucked out with clear blue skies but cold, that was fine for us.

Dec, weather was hit and miss. Plus is was ultra packed. I really enjoyed it BUT I honestly feel a lot of people build it as the most “Christmassy” place ever. Nope. I personally find that Germany was WAY more festive. Huge trees, markets literally everywhere, shopping centres with gorgeous decorations etc. I was astounded with Berlin and Munich in December.

Top tip - anyone going for a “super Christmas vibe” save yourself a fortune and go to literally any German city in Dec (Berlin is my always return to favourite) don’t go to NYC in Dec. Go April/May/September.

Coming from London maybe a freezing grey concrete densely packed city is just a freezing grey concrete densely packed city 🤷‍♀️

Ellis Island and Liberty Island - book and go early
Tea at the Plaza
Tenement Museum
If you’re a theatre fan a tour of Radio City
The little chapel that stood, opposite ground zero. Here the rescuers rested and were fed. A really moving exhibition.
Ride bikes through Central Park
MOMA
Top of the Rockerfeller
Walk the Brooklyn Bridge
Greenwich Village

This is what I do with everything in life so it may not be your thing. But, I never build anything up or have any expectations so, I’m never disappointed. It allows me to have a free mind and enjoy things in the moment if that makes sense. So when I went to New York the first time, I had a rough idea of what I wanted to see and I absolutely loved it. However, my best friend planned her visit within an inch of her life and was bitterly disappointed. I’m not saying this is the case for everyone but, it was our experience.

I’ve stayed at the Quin Central Park which is an artsy hotel and very beautiful. I’d recommend wherever you stay to stay on levels 15+ as I found it fascinating just looking out and watching the world pass by. I’ve also stayed at The Lotte as I’m a big gossip girl fan. This hotel if you can get a room facing the cathedral is very beautiful and romantic. But, don’t order room service or eat there as it is extremely expensive and there are so many alternatives. Location wise, we booked with a private travel agent and he said he would never recommend staying in Times Square as you do not get the true experience.

If you are a bit of a foodie then book in advance as some places book up quite quick. There are lots of lists full of recommendations online. We tried to book in a steak house we really wanted to go and the only time they had was 10:30pm so just be careful about that. Also, for transport we got in an executive car as it was miles cheaper than a taxi. We were told this before so when we arrived we asked at the help desk and found they were really accommodating and arranged everything for us at a reasonable fare.
If you go out on a boat tour I’d recommend the speed one as they usually have a funny host, a bit of adrenaline and you see the good bits. We also did a longer cruise which was about 2-3hours and after a bit it got a bit boring. Once you’ve seen one bridge from a boat you’ve seen them all really.
I would definitely recommend going to see a show, you can book in advance and the prices are about the same as over here. The first time we went we walked in the box office in the morning and the only seats available were in what we call the Royal box. The price was amazing as apparently it is a restricted view but, we had no issues. Although it did feel as though we were looking down on people which was a bit uncomfortable when the lights are on.

I went in July once and would not recommend, it was very humid and muggy. I’d say spring or September. Also, I wouldn’t recommend going to the Statue of Liberty, it’s better to see it from afar. You don’t really gain anything from being on the island. Also, unless you want a few designer items which can be slightly cheaper or want to go to iconic stores, I wouldn’t waste your time going shopping. It’s no different to our cities.

Central Park is amazing and you could spend a whole day getting lost in there. It’s just lovely.

Finally, the people - we found no issue even in the areas where they advise you to be careful. In fact they were lovey and nicer than when we have visited London. They love the accent, we are Mancunian and some had never heard the accent before so they were very excited. On the whole, we found it very safe for such a large city. I felt a lot more comfortable walking around New York than I ever have walking around Paris. I loved it and think it has so much to offer for all types of people, the food, architecture and sights are incredible.

Reactions: 3
Hi! I went to New York July 2019 and loved every second of it. We went during the Summer so it was so hot to the point I was moody sometimes lol and the Subway is so stuffy but the best way to get around is really cheap. We also got CITYPASS for around £150-£200 can’t remember exactly but you can visit 5 or so attractions and just show a QR code rather than queue up to pay for things and you can skip the lines! Saves so much vauable time! Some of my favourite things we did:

One World Observatory - breathtaking, amazing views, just one of those views you have to see for yourself
Brooklyn Bridge - a lovely walk but it’s looong and you have to keep out of the way for cyclists
Statue of Liberty - a must! Has a cool little museum and Ellis Island is interesting if you’re into all that
Rockerfeller Centre - it’s really nice to just walk around the area and you can see Central Park
Empire State Building - really beautiful at night but it’s so packed you may not get long to look at the views
9/11 museum - it makes you really emotional but it’s quite long we were in there for atleast 3/4 hours
The American Museum of Natural History - not sure if to recommend or not as when we went lots of the areas were closed off and it was just a lot of exhibits imo
Central Park - imo my favourite bit you get lost in there and forget you’re in the middle of a city, beautiful scenery/views, it’s like you’re in a film. Don’t recommend the zoo, there’s hardly any animals and they all look sad/they aren’t given much space. Wouldn’t give them your money tbh
Hotel - we stayed at the Artezen Hotel it’s 4* and the staff are so kind/welcoming and the rooms are really nice. Beware of all the different taxes on your stay they don’t tell you that in the price when you book
Food - Kuu Ramen is about the only place we went lol we were so busy walking around we mainly got slices of pizza the entire time but all the pizza places are good. We did go to the Hard Rock Cafe it was “meh”
When we went the US Womens World Championship Parade was being held so we felt really lucky to experience it as it’s probably not going to happen again in our life time!

Last edited:
I haven’t read everyone’s answers so sorry if I’m repeating anyone, but going to Dumbo (district under Manhattan and Brooklyn Bridge) was one of my favourite parts of New York. You get some amazing pictures of the Manhattan skyline with the Brooklyn Bridge in it.

Anyone been to NYC with little kids (under 4?) I’ve been once, when I was 24 and loved it, and promised my husband I’d take him for his 40th. I imagine like most things it’s a different sort of trip with a child!

Anyone been to NYC with little kids (under 4?) I’ve been once, when I was 24 and loved it, and promised my husband I’d take him for his 40th. I imagine like most things it’s a different sort of trip with a child!
I think it would be horrendous I can’t lie 😂 not really anywhere for them to go that they would be interested in

I would also recommend to not bother going to places that are the same as where you live i.e McDonalds/Sephora go to places that are only in New York

😂😂 I think you might be right. Maybe they can take a holiday at their grandparents instead
Yes 😂 I’m only 5ft too and some of the time I thought I was going to be swept away in a sea of people 😂 also I know kids like to stop alot and it’s literally not allowed there or you will be stood on hahaha

I went 10 years ago and loved it!! Definitely want to go back in the future.

My highlights were- Ellis island
Seeing Chicago on Broadway
Breakfast at the diner Ellen’s
Rockefeller Centre
We went on a tv show and movie bus tour. Saw what was made out to be Chandler Bings office in Friends and Monica’s apartment, and ghostbusters, so much more!
Just finding random places to eat! I had the best bagel of my life on the corner of a street just down from fifth avenue!

Again Central Park is beautiful! I loved it we walked around and then grabbed a coffee and just watched the world go by! Sounds weird but we saw a mums exercise club where they used their pushchairs and it reminded me of “what to expect when you’re expecting” and it was really surreal lol