Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Milliehaha123

Chatty Member
Hello everyone!
My partner turned 30 this year but obviously we couldn’t actually do anything / celebrate wildly.
I’ve saved a load of money in lockdown and I’m thinking of taking him to New York for a 4 day blow out trip. This is totally not something we ever would have been able to do in normal times (sorry if anyone feels I’m being insensitive here, I have been shielding and working full time due to a lung condition so have been able to save a lot more than I usually would!)
I’ve never been to NY before but we’ve always wanted to! I wondered if anyone has any legit good recommendations? Hotels / restaurants / special things etc - open to anything :))
Thanks in advance! X

• Heart
Reactions: 8

Bexybest

The High Line. It's a green park that was built on an old elevated railway line. Really nice to walk along and free. Central Park is lovely too.

9/11 museum is amazing. Best museum I've ever been to I think.

Broadway day tickets are the best way to get tickets if you don't mind what you watch. Go to the theatre around 10am and ask for day tickets. We got row 2 for School of Rock for $30 for the pair!

McDonald's hot fudge sundaes are a nostalgic treat.

Sightseeing bus tour is good as it can take you to some of the attractions like Statue of Liberty.

We used the New York Pass which I would highly recommend. You buy in advance for a number of days and then get to choose what you visit. Plan well however to make it worthwhile.

Reactions: 5

Chandler Bing

VIP Member
Comedy Cellar for stand up, we've seen SNL cast there, Ray Romano etc.

Central Park zoo is fabulous, the sea lions are so much fun if you hit feeding time.

Brooklyn Bridge walk from Brooklyn it's very instagrammable haha.

Staten Island ferry you can see statue of Liberty for free.

New York is amazing, I've been 5 or 6 times now!

Hendrix

Oh I’m glad I found this thread. I’ve always wanted to go to New York but a couple of people I know went separately and absolutely hated it. They both were taken aback by how rude everyone was. Did anyone else find this?
New Yorkers are more polite than Brits 😂

Never came across one rude person in the 7 days I was there, everyone was friendly.

Itsmedoctortea

VIP Member
We eloped to New York so its very special to us :) I would go back in a heartbeat and found the people lovely!

- Comfy shoes and clothing as walking is a must
- Plenty of Dollars
- Staten Island Ferry
- Brooklyn Bridge
- Greenwich Village
- 9/11 Memorial
- Shopping on 5th Avenue
- Times Square
- Black Tap Burgers
- Get lost in Central Park
- Pass for the Subway
- Grand Central
- Angelo's Pizza on 117 W 57th
- Empire State Building
- ENJOY!!!!!
- Get a takeaway ordered to your hotel room (we done this after a longgg day of walking)
- Be prepared to tip

We took a day to jersey mills shopping outlet and tbh I bought more on 5th avenue etc and didn't see much difference is price🤷‍♀️
Do not i repeat DO NOT eat in Ruby Tuesdays on times square, worst decision of our holiday (and on our last night too) so overpriced and overcooked!! We had been warned to stay away from big chain restaurants etc and to eat where the locals eat, so totes our fault!
You will absolutely love it
Also thanks to all the other posts, i will be using all your recommendations for our next trip over 😘

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Buy a New York pass - worth their money for sure. Doesn’t matter what you do as long as you roughly plan your day. Even if you just do approx areas each day so then you don’t waste so much time travelling

Saddlesoap

VIP Member
You get rude people where ever you go.

Honestly can't say it was particularly noticeable in NY. People are just different 🤷 I think Londoners are rude when I compare them to Northerners. Or the Spanish! 😂

Noseyoldcow

VIP Member
Yes this. We did TOTR in the morning because of the park views and ESB at night.

I much preferred TOTR. We queued up for it opening on a Sunday morn and had pretty much it all to ourselves for a while.
Ahhh I did it the other way round - my husband actually proposed at the top of the Empire State (only just, I nearly threw up on the simulator half way up!)
Top of the rock is beautiful though I agree

• Heart
Reactions: 3

Gembo

VIP Member
Oh I’m glad I found this thread. I’ve always wanted to go to New York but a couple of people I know went separately and absolutely hated it. They both were taken aback by how rude everyone was. Did anyone else find this?
I’ve been to quite a few places in America and on the whole find Americans super friendly, I think in New York everything is just much faster paced, I didn’t find people rude but some just seemed a bit more hurried. That was my take anyway.

Holidaybobs

VIP Member
This is what I do with everything in life so it may not be your thing. But, I never build anything up or have any expectations so, I’m never disappointed. It allows me to have a free mind and enjoy things in the moment if that makes sense. So when I went to New York the first time, I had a rough idea of what I wanted to see and I absolutely loved it. However, my best friend planned her visit within an inch of her life and was bitterly disappointed. I’m not saying this is the case for everyone but, it was our experience.

I’ve stayed at the Quin Central Park which is an artsy hotel and very beautiful. I’d recommend wherever you stay to stay on levels 15+ as I found it fascinating just looking out and watching the world pass by. I’ve also stayed at The Lotte as I’m a big gossip girl fan. This hotel if you can get a room facing the cathedral is very beautiful and romantic. But, don’t order room service or eat there as it is extremely expensive and there are so many alternatives. Location wise, we booked with a private travel agent and he said he would never recommend staying in Times Square as you do not get the true experience.

If you are a bit of a foodie then book in advance as some places book up quite quick. There are lots of lists full of recommendations online. We tried to book in a steak house we really wanted to go and the only time they had was 10:30pm so just be careful about that. Also, for transport we got in an executive car as it was miles cheaper than a taxi. We were told this before so when we arrived we asked at the help desk and found they were really accommodating and arranged everything for us at a reasonable fare.
If you go out on a boat tour I’d recommend the speed one as they usually have a funny host, a bit of adrenaline and you see the good bits. We also did a longer cruise which was about 2-3hours and after a bit it got a bit boring. Once you’ve seen one bridge from a boat you’ve seen them all really.
I would definitely recommend going to see a show, you can book in advance and the prices are about the same as over here. The first time we went we walked in the box office in the morning and the only seats available were in what we call the Royal box. The price was amazing as apparently it is a restricted view but, we had no issues. Although it did feel as though we were looking down on people which was a bit uncomfortable when the lights are on.

I went in July once and would not recommend, it was very humid and muggy. I’d say spring or September. Also, I wouldn’t recommend going to the Statue of Liberty, it’s better to see it from afar. You don’t really gain anything from being on the island. Also, unless you want a few designer items which can be slightly cheaper or want to go to iconic stores, I wouldn’t waste your time going shopping. It’s no different to our cities.

Central Park is amazing and you could spend a whole day getting lost in there. It’s just lovely.

Finally, the people - we found no issue even in the areas where they advise you to be careful. In fact they were lovey and nicer than when we have visited London. They love the accent, we are Mancunian and some had never heard the accent before so they were very excited. On the whole, we found it very safe for such a large city. I felt a lot more comfortable walking around New York than I ever have walking around Paris. I loved it and think it has so much to offer for all types of people, the food, architecture and sights are incredible.

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
I went for my 30th a few years ago and it was amazing. If you plan on doing touristy things then buy a pass before you go, you can either buy a pass for a certain amount of days or a certain amount of attractions. It makes it a lot cheaper. Our 4 attraction pass was about £80 or £90 and things like Empire State Building are about $40/$50 to get in.

We saw a show on Broadway but honestly we just played it by ear and did a lot of walking, just to see everything on foot was amazing. We went in September and the temperature was perfect. warm enough to wear just a tshirt but cool enough it was nice to walk around in. we are planning on going back and will be aiming for autumn/fall again or late spring.

Id have a look at all the the different things there are to offer and then decide what your must sees are and then just go for it. We did roof top drinks which over looked the empire state building. katz deli for pastrami sandwiches. We didn’t bother booking many fancy restaurants but had breakfasts out. Can recommend Big Daddys Diner, Jacks Wife Freda and Pershing Square.

we stayed midtown on Lexington Avenue in The Maxwell. the hotel was clean and modern, room was small but it didn’t bother us. We literally went to the hotel to sleep. We used the subway to get around a lot but it’s definitely not as convenient as the London underground. I think a 7 day pass was about $30.

we walked the Brooklyn Bridge at sunrise and I think it was a pinch me moment for me, to see this city waking up, it meant we got to ground zero very early and it was peaceful and calm. We got a good look around in a respectful way. We went back at around 10am and it was v busy and didn’t feel right to me to be there like that.

you will have the best time, but buy some comfortable shoes before hand, sketchers or similar. Your feet and legs will thank you.

Saddlesoap

VIP Member
Ohhhhh I love New York. We've been 3 times and were supposed to be going back next year, but we decided to cancel it. My husband proposed beside Rockefeller tree, so definitely holds a place in my heart.

My thoughts, stay in Manhattan, but not in Times Square.
Book a Broadway Show.
Walk Brooklyn Bridge - Grimaldi's Pizzeria is Brooklyn was lovely.
Top of the Rock at night/sunset, Empire State in the daytime.
Wander around shops in Greenwich/Soho
Katz Deli! (Harry Met Sally fame)
Central Park
9/11 memorial is very sobering, we didn't do the museum, but we will next time.
Walk Highline
Figure out the best way to get from the airport, first visit we took a taxi (from Newark I think and cost us a bloody fortune!)
Ellis and Liberty islands
Jane's Carousel and Central Park Carousel
Washington/Water street in Brooklyn can get the photo of the Empire State building through the Manhattan Bridge.
Go into Grand Central Station and look up!

AnnaLee

I don’t think people in New York are rude, they just do less ass kissing than in other parts of America.

Trolleydollycoffeelover

I found the people really friendly but I also found New York overrated. I’ve been a lot with work and I just felt I was getting harrassed to buy stuff or as someone earlier mentioned, people dressed up as characters on the cadge for money. All my workmates loved the shopping but for me there was nothing of interest except Sephora, the mens clothing ranges are better than womens. I’m more a girly girl into British high street stores and couldn’t really find stuff to match my tastes.
I love the architecture so for me I appreciated the walking side of it, looking up and around at the majestic buildings and going for coffee in picturesque locations ie not Starbucks but Grand Central Station, Waldorf Astoria hotel, Plaza hotel as seen in Home Alone 2.
It’s definitely a bucket list destination though, won’t deny that!

Reactions: 2

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
I went for my 30th id recommend Top of the rock and the Empire State but do one at night and one in the day just for the beautiful difference in the views.
Yes this. We did TOTR in the morning because of the park views and ESB at night.

I much preferred TOTR. We queued up for it opening on a Sunday morn and had pretty much it all to ourselves for a while.

LinaLamont

Im clearly in the minority but yes I did find them rude. The ones working for tips will kiss your ass but the others nope. We asked for some help with trains at Penn Station and the person working there could not be less interested, rolled her eyes and tapped her nails.

Also in Macys waiting in a queue, 2 cashiers free but wouldnt call anyone forward as they were having a chat. Found it very odd. Service industry very polite and eager to please for there 15-20% tip.

It wouldnt put me off returning though.
One of the women I know went into a coffee shop and asked if she could please have a green tea and the cashier just said no and stared her out 🤣. It wouldn’t put me off going either though, you get rude people everywhere

• Haha

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
Im clearly in the minority but yes I did find them rude. The ones working for tips will kiss your ass but the others nope. We asked for some help with trains at Penn Station and the person working there could not be less interested, rolled her eyes and tapped her nails.

Also in Macys waiting in a queue, 2 cashiers free but wouldnt call anyone forward as they were having a chat. Found it very odd. Service industry very polite and eager to please for there 15-20% tip.

It wouldnt put me off returning though.

under the ivy

VIP Member
I miss NYC, I love it so much. Highlights when I went were Central Park/Upper East Side - it was spring & the blossom was out in CP. I went to an amazing Italian restaurant on the Upper West Side - wish I could remember what it was called!

Sorry if it’s been mentioned but the Staten Island ferry is free to see the Statue of Liberty. It was very busy when I was on it (probably because it’s free!) but great views of Manhattan when you get to Staten Island.

I’d love to go back in Autumn/Winter! I also want to visit MOMA.