New York! (Let’s pretend covid doesn’t exist lol)

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hello everyone!
My partner turned 30 this year but obviously we couldn’t actually do anything / celebrate wildly.
I’ve saved a load of money in lockdown and I’m thinking of taking him to New York for a 4 day blow out trip. This is totally not something we ever would have been able to do in normal times (sorry if anyone feels I’m being insensitive here, I have been shielding and working full time due to a lung condition so have been able to save a lot more than I usually would!)
I’ve never been to NY before but we’ve always wanted to! I wondered if anyone has any legit good recommendations? Hotels / restaurants / special things etc - open to anything :))
Thanks in advance! X

• Heart
Reactions: 8
The High Line. It's a green park that was built on an old elevated railway line. Really nice to walk along and free. Central Park is lovely too.

9/11 museum is amazing. Best museum I've ever been to I think.

Broadway day tickets are the best way to get tickets if you don't mind what you watch. Go to the theatre around 10am and ask for day tickets. We got row 2 for School of Rock for $30 for the pair!

McDonald's hot fudge sundaes are a nostalgic treat.

Sightseeing bus tour is good as it can take you to some of the attractions like Statue of Liberty.

We used the New York Pass which I would highly recommend. You buy in advance for a number of days and then get to choose what you visit. Plan well however to make it worthwhile.

Reactions: 5
I went for my 30th a few years ago and it was amazing. If you plan on doing touristy things then buy a pass before you go, you can either buy a pass for a certain amount of days or a certain amount of attractions. It makes it a lot cheaper. Our 4 attraction pass was about £80 or £90 and things like Empire State Building are about $40/$50 to get in.

We saw a show on Broadway but honestly we just played it by ear and did a lot of walking, just to see everything on foot was amazing. We went in September and the temperature was perfect. warm enough to wear just a tshirt but cool enough it was nice to walk around in. we are planning on going back and will be aiming for autumn/fall again or late spring.

Id have a look at all the the different things there are to offer and then decide what your must sees are and then just go for it. We did roof top drinks which over looked the empire state building. katz deli for pastrami sandwiches. We didn’t bother booking many fancy restaurants but had breakfasts out. Can recommend Big Daddys Diner, Jacks Wife Freda and Pershing Square.

we stayed midtown on Lexington Avenue in The Maxwell. the hotel was clean and modern, room was small but it didn’t bother us. We literally went to the hotel to sleep. We used the subway to get around a lot but it’s definitely not as convenient as the London underground. I think a 7 day pass was about $30.

we walked the Brooklyn Bridge at sunrise and I think it was a pinch me moment for me, to see this city waking up, it meant we got to ground zero very early and it was peaceful and calm. We got a good look around in a respectful way. We went back at around 10am and it was v busy and didn’t feel right to me to be there like that.

you will have the best time, but buy some comfortable shoes before hand, sketchers or similar. Your feet and legs will thank you.

Reactions: 3
Comedy Cellar for stand up, we've seen SNL cast there, Ray Romano etc.

Central Park zoo is fabulous, the sea lions are so much fun if you hit feeding time.

Brooklyn Bridge walk from Brooklyn it's very instagrammable haha.

Staten Island ferry you can see statue of Liberty for free.

New York is amazing, I've been 5 or 6 times now!

Reactions: 5
You need to tip at least 15% in every restaurant you eat in, or if you get a taxi anywhere.

Also second the New York Pass, me and my partner went for a week and got the 3 day passes which were great. Included in the pass was a 2 day pass for the hop on hop off bus tour which was really good for when your feet hurt but you still wanted to see and hear about landmarks etc.

We also went to a Knicks game which was an amazing experience, booked it months in advance.

Highly recommend the 9/11 museum, Empire State Building, Top of The Rock, The new World Trade Center building and Central Park.

We got the subway to Brooklyn and walked back over the Brooklyn bridge which was really good.

We used the subway to get around which was so easy. A 7 day pass is around $30. So straight forward to use, we would google where we wanted to go and it would tell you what train to go on and what station to use.

Reactions: 1
definitely pack comfortable shoes and clothes as you’ll be doing ALOT of walking! I think I topped 30,000 in one day during our visit!
download The subway app on your phone, and study it before you go, it helped us a lot!!
Also recommend getting a taxi from the airport to your hotel, it will cost a fixed price that you negotiate with the driver. We stayed close to the 9/11 museum/memorial and we paid $50 dollars from the airport to hotel. So worth it, as you are knackered from the flight and you also get to have a little tour through the city.

you MUST try the McDonald’s McGriddle, I only had one just try it and I loved it! I vowed to go back and have one before I left but I didn’t 😔if I ever go back to America I’m having one everyday 🤣

We went to a few bakery’s and small bagel shops, annoyed at myself for not remembering the name of a specific bagel shop but it was absolutely amazing, the choice of filling is practically unlimited, and they are ENORMOUS!
Food and drink is expensive so take plenty of spending money for that. I think I paid $4 for a bottle of water in a tiny corner shop...

I went for my 30th id recommend Top of the rock and the Empire State but do one at night and one in the day just for the beautiful difference in the views.

I went for my 30th id recommend Top of the rock and the Empire State but do one at night and one in the day just for the beautiful difference in the views.
Yes this. We did TOTR in the morning because of the park views and ESB at night.

I much preferred TOTR. We queued up for it opening on a Sunday morn and had pretty much it all to ourselves for a while.

Reactions: 2
Walk across the Brooklyn bridge and go for food at the timeout food market in dumbo, it’s soooooo good! We then went to the basket ball at the Barclays stadium afterwards and drinking in williamsburg is really cool too!

Yes this. We did TOTR in the morning because of the park views and ESB at night.

I much preferred TOTR. We queued up for it opening on a Sunday morn and had pretty much it all to ourselves for a while.
Ahhh I did it the other way round - my husband actually proposed at the top of the Empire State (only just, I nearly threw up on the simulator half way up!)
Top of the rock is beautiful though I agree

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Take the water taxi’s we used them daily! Brooklyn was an authentic experience, we got off the water taxi, did the Dumbo for pic opportunities and then went into Brooklyn itself. It felt less touristy and I rarely heard a non NYC accent. We had breakfast at Juniors, browsed some shops and then walked over the Brooklyn Bridge.

High line is a must, as is a mooch around SoHo.

Get the Staten Island Ferry and spend an hour browsing the new shopping outlet (although it’s not much cheaper) We got a coffee and fell in love the with NYC skyline!

9/11 Museum is fantastic and moving.

Macy’s is amazing but be prepared to get lost. All we found were stairs and escalators up 🤣

https://www.230-fifth.com/ Highly recommend getting a drink after sunset here, the view of the Empire State Building and lower Manhattan is insane!!!

I didn’t find the Rockefeller Centre lived up to the hype. We didn’t go up the Empire State Building and don’t feel like I’ve missed out so if you want to miss it don’t feel bad. Some many opportunities to get the view for free!

Carmines Italian is really tasty and feels authentic and the portions are insane!!!

I've been twice, I recommend getting a decent place to stay that's central, don't do what we did and book a cheap hostel in Times Square. It was dog rough, and I mean really rough. People were living there on welfare and we had to share a room with strange men and we were two women. It was unbelievable! You could also hear gun shots in the night. Also you can eat out reasonably if you get things to take out from Delis etc. Everyone wants a tip for everything, its not like the U.K and they get funny with you if you refuse as well.
Highlights were Central Park and around it on a Sunday there's all little stalls selling artwork etc. There's cheap clothes and trainers everywhere and great fake handbags which they call pocketbooks. The Empire State building and the Staten Island Ferry were really good as well.
The second time I went I also visited Boston for 4 days, what was absolutely amazing was the Whale watching on the Stelwagon bank, we went out on a Catamaran. There was loads of them with calves, doing all that breaching and making whale noises, the works. I'd never seen anything like it ever. It was unbelievable really. We did the trip twice and it was only about £20.00 or so. Just thought I'd share that in case anyone was considering visiting.

Last edited:
Ah guys this is amazing thank you!! I’m putting them into a spreadsheet 🥰😍 please keep em coming!

Reactions: 2
Went in summer and it was stiflingly hot! So I would choose April / September time next time
(Don’t fancy winter either as weather can be extreme)

Subway system extremely easy to work out and key to getting around. Very safe these days!

We went to see Yankees Vs Mets at the Citifield stadium, not to sound like a hipster but it’s a less touristy stadium than the Yankee stadium so it feels like a proper authentic experience! One of the best things we did. Got tickets online before we went. Pretty cheap!

If you like musicals / music I loved Ellen’s stardust diner it’s a total tourist trap but really loved it (singing waiters etc...)

High line is fab as is Chelsea market

9/11 museum is a must do and I’ve heard the 9/11 friends and family museum is too (it’s run by families of those affected)

Go to Empire State very early in morning we didn’t queue at all and then went for breakfast afterwards (jet lag meant we were awake anyway)

If I went back I would stay in Brooklyn and do completely different stuff but I think for a first timer you’ve gotta get the tourist stuff done! 👍

The hotel I stayed in on Lexington did free wine for an hour from 5pm!!! (Shelburne Affinia) It was a great, clean hotel and only 5 minutes from Grand Central Station. We were advised not to stay in Times Square for the reasons above.

Been twice. Both times stayed at the Avalon hotel which is cheap and cheerful and just round the corner from the empire state.
If you don't want to pay for Top of the rock or empire then go to any of the roof top cocktail bars and get just as good a view.
Definitely see a show if budget allows.
Statue of liberty and Ellis Island if you are interested in history.
Definitely venture away from the centre and explore Chelsea and Greenwich so many cool sites to see there such as the friends building and carries apartment from sex and the city. Chelsea Market is amazing.
The highline is great to walk along. Also the vessel at Hudson yards is incredible and only about 10 dollars.
We did a day trip to Philadelphia which I highly recommend if you have the time, took about 2 and a half hours. We did about 8 hours there.
The strand book store if you are a book need. Champagane at the plaza (fun for people watching )
Get lost in Central Park.
Walk the Brooklyn bridge. Pebble beach in brooklyn for the most amazing views (and some interesting sites we saw people doing gender reveals, getting engaged, taking wedding photos)
Take the trolley to Roosevelt Island lovely for a walk around and to see an abandoned hospital.
Pack good walking shoes!! But mainly just soak it all in and don't overplan.

Also with Times Square, beware of the characters (people dressed up as Disney, superheroes) they badger you for your phone to take a selfie with them and then demand a tip.
My friend was conned out of $20 for a photo on her own phone!
Just keep walking and say no thank you, they will get the hint!

I bought, A rough guide to New York before I went the first time and I found it useful. Also I'd just pack one change of clothes and buy the rest as you go. I thought they were miles cheaper than here. Perfume and face creams were also good buys.

Brooklyn bridge at sunrise and the planetarium!

Rolfs bar

The ides bar at the the wythe hotel for sunset drinks

The oyster bar in grand central station

Go and see the friends apartment too as it's such a cute area!

Washington square park is also really cute!

I love NYC. Depending on what time of year you go you can go canoeing on the Hudson. I’d also recommend visiting Governors Island and going on the cable car.