New baby and post birth advice #45 Tell her you’re trying to stretch her out & she will get it in an hour

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I know this has probably been asked a thousand times but my little one is really kicking up a fuss when being put down in either his Moses basket or next to me crib. In our arms there isn’t a problem he is unfortunately really refluxy at the moment, I do think he will benefit from swaddling, what swaddling products would you recommend? And how can I make it as safe as possible on a night?

I know this has probably been asked a thousand times but my little one is really kicking up a fuss when being put down in either his Moses basket or next to me crib. In our arms there isn’t a problem he is unfortunately really refluxy at the moment, I do think he will benefit from swaddling, what swaddling products would you recommend? And how can I make it as safe as possible on a night?
We just use cellular blankets for swaddling and he settles really well. Even if he’s awake and we put him down, he’ll fuss if not swaddled but if swaddled he’ll just chill and be quite content.

Reactions: 1
We just use cellular blankets for swaddling and he settles really well. Even if he’s awake and we put him down, he’ll fuss if not swaddled but if swaddled he’ll just chill and be quite content.
We use a cellular now but not as a swaddle! I’m guessing you do it over night too? Do you still dress him in a bodysuit and sleep suit depending on room temp?

we use little seeds velcro swaddles (borrowed the 0-3 from my SIL and got the 3-6 on Vinted). Safety wise we had to look up how to put them on and it took a few goes to get the knack so we kept a close eye on him the first few times until we were comfortable with how we were putting him in them.

I also got some aden and Anaïs ones second hand but didn't like them quite as much (although they do have the zip at the bottom for changes).

Labour will be an experience that will unforgettable, you will feel like your squeezing a melon out of the eye of a needle. You might find the baby isn't the only surprise:poop:. But it will all be worth it when you look into your child's eyes
Thanks for the valuable insight. 👀👍

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I would highly recommend love to dream swaddles xxx

We use the Velcro swaddling things, not sure where ours are from but my husband swaddles her really well, and with the Velcro he straps it well below her face as I was so paranoid about her during the night.

Hi ladies, I'm nearly 3 weeks post partum and oh my goodness the night sweats!!!! I thought they had finished as it's been a few nights without them, but wow they are back with a vengeance!!!! I've just woken up for a feed and my top is literally stuck to me. I've changed my PJs, but I'm starting to think I want to change the sheet too but my husband is sound asleep!

Is anyone else suffering? I remember having them last time around but I don't remember them going on this long.

Currently laid on the spare bedroom floor because baba is not happy in her next to me, in her cot, on the bed, on the spare bed or even contact napping, but is settled on her changing mat on the floor.
I could cry. I haven't had a decent sleep since middle of last week. Hubby is working early so it feels like its on me to be awake with her. Problem is she's going through a growth spurt so is clingy at the moment and wont settle for anyone but me and her dad, & she's not sleeping during the day much, and cries when we leave her line if sight, so I feel like I'm running on empty trying to get the housework done, cook meals, keep baby happy and look after myself.
No point to this post at all, but if I don't vent somewhere I'm gonna break 😭
I know comparison is the thief of joy, but I'd kill to have my tit together like some of them instahun mums

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Currently laid on the spare bedroom floor because baba is not happy in her next to me, in her cot, on the bed, on the spare bed or even contact napping, but is settled on her changing mat on the floor.
I could cry. I haven't had a decent sleep since middle of last week. Hubby is working early so it feels like its on me to be awake with her. Problem is she's going through a growth spurt so is clingy at the moment and wont settle for anyone but me and her dad, & she's not sleeping during the day much, and cries when we leave her line if sight, so I feel like I'm running on empty trying to get the housework done, cook meals, keep baby happy and look after myself.
I know comparison is the thief of joy, but I'd kill to have my tit together like some of them instahun mums
Feel like I could have written this exact message.. my little girl is absolutely feral atm! I have no advice just in complete agreement with you.. trying to juggle a 9 month old who won’t eat or sleep day or night, a masters and tryna lose some baby weight just seems so hard🥴 sat up tonight and stuffed my face with chocolate and regretted it since😂 I don’t know how all the instamums do it, everything looks text book perfect for them, I’m secretly convinced they all have cleaners and Nannie’s! We can do this! The rainbows will always appear!❤❤❤

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I had to have a little bit of a pep talk with a friend who's a first time mum and was really struggling. She was feeling down because she was comparing herself to Stacey Solomon who also has a young baby as well as her other children and yet she always seems to have her tit together. These instahuns can say until they go blue in the face that they don't have a Nanny, cleaners, other support etc. but they do also have husbands/partners that don't work your average 9-5 job, family members who are nearly always around to help (Hinch and her mum..) and they most likely do have a nanny, cleaner, other support.

Please please PLEASE do not compare yourselves with these influencers. Perhaps even unfollow them for a while.

You are doing a fantastic job even if it is bloody hard at the moment. In your baby's eyes, you are perfect. And I hope you manage to catch up on some sleep!❤

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I am right there with you today!! Up since 2.15 as he’ll only sleep on me tonight, I wish there was a chat box on here where you could message!
Honestly do not ever compare yourself to insta mums!!! They either have endless family support 24/7, pay for nannies (even lie to say they don’t!) or have a partner that doesn’t work or works short hours.
Plus I never show myself crying on insta and that’s with private friends & family so no way will these ‘perfect’ mums!
I hope baby can nap in there next to me today so you can get even an hours nap!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Could it be a bit warm for her? It'll be cooler down on the floor, it might explain why she settled there. I know that recommend 16°-20° but we've noticed baby biscuit seems to sleep better at the lower end of that. Possibly because she got used to it in her early days in our ice box of a house.

Maybe when you're cooking, if you don't already, double up your meals and freeze half when you can. That way you'll always have something available to eat with minimal effort. Allow yourself to let the housework go occasionally, and join baby when she naps sometimes. Everyone hates "sleep when baby sleeps" but honestly, 6 months in I've found it's the only way to get through the day sometimes. If anyone comes to your house and comments that it's not perfect, tell them to crack on and help you out.

And bollocks to the instahuns. I'm sure most of them will look back when they're older and the influencer thing has passed, and regret spending time keeping up appearances rather than with their babies.

Reactions: 7
I'd quote you all but it'd take the whole post. I ended up getting hubby up an hour before his alarm so I could get some sleep. She settled in her next to me just before he was due to leave so I managed to get a whole 2 hours undisturbed sleep.

Thanks for the support though! I love this forum for it! I second wishing there was a chat box available to use sometimes. I'm the only one in my friendship group with a newborn and the fact we were diagnosed with infertility and this miracle showed up makes it really hard to speak about any difficulties because "it's what you always wanted". Yes it is, but it doesn't make only sleeping in 20 minute bursts easier 😫

Could it be a bit warm for her? It'll be cooler down on the floor, it might explain why she settled there. I know that recommend 16°-20° but we've noticed baby biscuit seems to sleep better at the lower end of that. Possibly because she got used to it in her early days in our ice box of a house.
I thought this so I had a fan on in the bedroom to cool it down a bit before we tried back in the next to me. She still didn't want to settle. She's been fighting sleep for a week, eventually she does get too tired, but last night it seemed to take forever

• Heart
Hi ladies, I'm nearly 3 weeks post partum and oh my goodness the night sweats!!!! I thought they had finished as it's been a few nights without them, but wow they are back with a vengeance!!!! I've just woken up for a feed and my top is literally stuck to me. I've changed my PJs, but I'm starting to think I want to change the sheet too but my husband is sound asleep!

Is anyone else suffering? I remember having them last time around but I don't remember them going on this long.
Omg I’m 6 weeks PP and still getting them (also day sweats 😬). They’re less than they were but I had to change in the middle of the night sometimes, and when I changed the sheets (sorry to be gross) there was basically the shape of my body stained on the mattress protector from all the sweat! I’m wondering if once I get my period and my hormones become more normal it’ll go.

@Nosysamsie just because your baby is loved and was wanted for a long time doesn't mean it isn’t hard! You are doing an amazing job, trying to figure what makes a newborn tick is impossible sometimes. It does change and you will sleep again, if you’re happy to do so in these early weeks could you get someone to come and watch her whilst you sleep somewhere else (maybe even go to a friend or families house and they go to yours?) x

• Heart
Reactions: 2
We’re very lucky in that our LO is now - not every night, but occasionally - sleeping 10pm ish to about 4am without waking for a feed, trouble is he’s got quite bad nappy rash as previously mentioned (slowly getting better) and when he does wake up he’s absolutely soaked and sometimes dirty. On one occasion has leaked through to the cot bed. Should we be using different nappies or waking him up for a change or something?
We had to change to nappy pants for night time as my son was leaking through loads at night for weeks in a row until I realise it was coming out of the waist band area. Could be an ides to try?

We use a cellular now but not as a swaddle! I’m guessing you do it over night too? Do you still dress him in a bodysuit and sleep suit depending on room temp?
Yeh we have the gro egg so go by that. Our room has been pretty warm so he’s just been in a sleeveless vest and the cellular blanket :).
---
We had to change to nappy pants for night time as my son was leaking through loads at night for weeks in a row until I realise it was coming out of the waist band area. Could be an ides to try?
Oh I’m going to try this. Every single poo my son does leaks out the nappy. He was sitting on my knee earlier and it just came shooting out 🥲😂.

Last edited:
Does anyone struggle with resentment towards their partner?
I feel jealous that he can swan off for an hour or 2 nearly everyday for a run & doesn’t do washing or clean the baby bottles/any cleaning.
I have made it clear I don’t mind doing those and the deal is that he cooks, however most nights at the moment we’re eating freezer food / ready meals, so it feels like I’m not getting anything in ‘return’.
I know it’s give & take but I feel like I’m doing everything atm.
He even made a fuss about me saying when he goes back to work can he make sure if I’ve forgotten to make myself lunch the night before to quickly do me a sandwich before he logs on for work (in case I want to just get out the house & to ensure I’m looking after myself!!) but apparently even that is too much.

Baby is only 4 weeks old today, the first week he did everything (I had a section and was trying to get into a rhythm with pumping) and he makes such a song & dance about how he did everything that first week whenever I say anything.
I’ve said all of this to him before but nothing changes and I’m not sure if it’s my hormones but I really question if he’s the person for me now.
When we’re good we’re great yet when I feel like I’m giving 100% whilst still recovering and caring for a newborn and cleaning up after him 24/7 and he can take himself for a half hour shower or go for a run without a second thought it’s so bleeping exhausting.
And he has such a complex about making sure we each do “our turn” of feeding. I wanted to go out for a bit the other morning and he said “ok when you get back you can do 2 feeds in a row since I’ll have to do yours” 🤬 I told him don’t worry I’ll do all of them going forward if he didn’t want to feed him!!!

I don’t even know what I’m looking for but needed to get it off my chest!!

• Sad
@Ro98 have you tried to do things for yourself? Like can you say to him "I'm going for a nice shower now", or take yourself off for an hour? In my (limited) experience, he'll do what I ask but won't necessarily see things to do be done in relation to the baby.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.