New baby and post birth advice #44 I am fondant

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So I normally set up the new threads and now it’s time for a new one… but I’ve decided to delete my account 🙃 I want to reduce screen time for the kids and decided to lead by example by not having a phone out during the day. So this is an adios from me, and a hint that you need to create your own thread from now on 🤣

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 19
Thanks for all thoughts re feeding. I know a lot of it is expected behaviour that I just need to deal with but it’s tough when you’re not bonding with the little one and second guessing everything. I’m not a naturally maternal person so it still feels weird and I feel plenty guilty about him not being the centre of my world. I’ve picked up some formula powder (just went with cow and gate 1st milk - I presume that’s a decent enough choice!) and some more bottles today but am going to try one or two breast feeds a day (he’s best in the morning and did really well this morning - eventually - though he did want feeding again much sooner than he would with a bottle) and try pumping when he has a EBM bottle for the next few days at least until we make a final decision on what to do.

I know in 7 months - a years time it’ll make no difference at all but it feels like the most monumental, no turning back choice ever right now 🥴
Has he just been having breast milk so far then? See how he goes with the formula (hopefully he takes to it well) and see how it goes from there. Breastfeeding is only great if it works for both people involved, and so far it seems like you've both been taking it in turns to struggle, so no wonder you're not enjoying it.
Saying that, the feeding may be the symptom and not the cause so to speak, it does sound like the fourth tri in general is doing a number on you. I think you've said before that your partner is a bit of a gentle soul and might struggle with hearing you're struggling, but is there anyone else (parent or friend) you might consider leaning on? I'd definitely have a chat with your HV, GP or both too, it doesn't have to be like this.
I'd just hate for you to change how you feed and that not solve how you're feeling at all. But a switch to combi feeding for now and leaving the door firmly open to formula feeding should hopefully be a step in the right direction, and a chance to at least get some longer stretches of sleep that might make things feel more managable.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Guys thanks a mil for the anbesol liquid recommendations. That is powerful stuff. I put some on my gum just to see and it totally numbed it 😅 seems to have done the trick, thanks very much. To my Irish gals, I got it in my local pharmacy, but it was hard find. There are a few Irish pharmacies delivering it if you Google it.

Reactions: 7
Got my milk supply up from 30ml per boob to 60ml per boob and sometimes up to 120 per boob depending on how long I’ve left it🥺 fingers crossed I can increase again 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.