Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.
I'm in a panic this morning and I know it's going to sound pathetic but I'm so upset that Neighbours is being axed! I have watched it from the start..it like another one of daily routines gone!

I stopped watching H&A a couple of years ago as I thought the storyline were too over the top..I have been watching the old ones on Prime though..
It doesn't sound pathetic. It's very sad news. It's come at a time for me where I have big life changes going on and the familiarity of escaping to Ramsey Street is like a comfort blanket that I'm really not ready to lose.

I do still watch Home and Away so at least that's still on. However I don't feel it offers the same humour value and nostalgia that Neighbours does.

Reactions: 8

Gym&Tonic

VIP Member
I noticed that when the original actress spoke out, Sharon Johal was the only recent cast member to post her support. It could be that others are scared to speak out. But quite honestly until they do this won’t change, and I still maintain that if this were an actor on Corrie, Eastenders, Emmerdale etc they’d have been sacked on the spot. It makes me appreciate how much more progressive we are in the U.K.

BTW, I don’t know if anyone else knows this, but when they do the Neighhbours tours around Melbourne you get to mepet one of the current cast members. When Harold Bishop was on the show they used to make sure he didn’t get too close to the women on the tour because he was so handy with them, especially after a drink.

Last edited:
  • Wow

oddsock17

I think David's flappy hair was the most criminal thing about that episode TBH. How annoying must that be when performing life-saving procedures

• Haha
  • Heart

Rayne

VIP Member
I can’t believe after the years of rumours it’s finally happening and they’re cancelling neighbours!

To be fair it’s been dire for a few years at least now, and I didn’t watch it for over a year but do dip in and out now and again. Watched it every day for years though growing up and it’ll be sad now it’s not there for the times I do fancy watching it

• Sad

RJF

VIP Member
I haven’t watched Neighbours properly in years and years but I was a massive fan in the late 90s to mid 2000s. I can remember watching it again briefly in 2010 when Margot Robbie was in it.

However, the best storyline of all time was when Susan slipped on the milk and got amnesia. It was the perfect mix of heartbreaking and hysterical. Susan walking around thinking she was a 16-year-old girl and calling Karl “that old man”!

I’m really sad it’s ending.

• Haha

FijiNour

Chatty Member
I would love to see Paige, mark, Tyler, piper, Libby Kennedy, and Lou

Don’t want to see Kylie or Jason back tbh. It will overshadow everything.

Last edited:

FijiNour

Chatty Member
I hate Harlow so much! They’ve totally ruined her character and she doesn’t seem to have any redeeming qualities anymore.

Hattieliz

What on earth was that section with the oldies (soz Toady) at Clive’s place! It was like a ridiculous sales pitch. I was half expecting one of them to look directly in to the camera and say “available now at a reduced rate for a limited time”

• Haha

buffyjayne

Chatty Member
Sharon Johal who plays Dipi has just spoken out. A current member and a recently just departed member were highly racist towards her. I don't know how to link articles but she made a lengthy statement. Apparently no one on set stood up for her when she asked these people to refrain from their comments on her heritage.
Honestly, this person needs the sack!
I'm so disappointed in Neighbours, how the cast are dealing with it and how the racism is being handled. I always thought this show was progressive...guess it truly is just for the camera

• Sad
  • Wow

Chosen.One

Chatty Member
I’m not surprised really. As much as I love it it’s not been on terrestrial TV in Australia for years and its only Channel 5 that have kept it going this long. It would have been axed years ago had they not stepped up in 2007 to take it on when the Beeb dropped it.

I’d love to know how Home and Away is still going though? I’ve not watched that since about 1998 and I don’t know anyone else who has done either?
Home and away is still really popular in Australia. I don’t think it needs to rely on the Uk to survive unlike Neighbours

Fenella

Chatty Member
God, was today’s episode written by someone sexually frustrated or something. Toadie and Melanie 🤢 and the sponge baths keep being mentioned

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 7

Guitarwarrior

VIP Member
I think the trouble is soap viewing figures just aren’t what they were. It seems these days people are more interested in reality stuff or bigger budget six to ten episode drama such as killing eve or line of duty. I don’t really know many people my age who sit and watch soaps. I’m the only person in my friend circle who watches any soaps these days compared to when I was at school/college where people seemed to at least watch one.

A big downside of many peoples streaming habits is that people want an entire series all in one go to binge watch. They’re used to just clicking a box set and having it all immediately.
(obviously some exceptions and some streaming exclusives are now limited to one ep a week)
You could obviously stack your episodes for a week or so and binge but I don’t think soaps really lend themselves to binge watching (aside from in the 90’s with weekend omnibus episodes which was your only opportunity to catch up unless you taped them)

As much as I hope and pray neighbours finds a new (accessible) home I think it’s unlikely. If it was just a case of finding a broadcaster we’d be in with a bigger chance but I think finding a channel willing to cough up the money to make it as well is very slim. If it was more popular in Australia then maybe it would be better but I don’t see another British network proping up a foreign tv show that’s struggling to find funding in its own country.

nosynell

ok this Nicolette situation is bothering me, Chloe asking permission too move back into her OWN house a house Nicolette is not even living at and Jane telling her too move off the street! I would tell jane too pack her bags and get out

Princess 6

Chatty Member
Amy and her daughter Zara moving into toadys house how many bedrooms are there meant to be? Amy told Zara she would be getting her own room