Neighbours child keeps asking me for food. Advice.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What will you do if the kid falls and hurts herself climbing the fence ? Will this be reason to finally go round to the parents and confront the issue?
Honestly imagine going round and explaining to the parents 'I knew your child was routinely climbing my fence and I didn't tell you so that you could e.g. talk to them about the dangers of climbing fences, intruding on people's property' like obviously IMO these parents are neglecting this child in some way, and I'm not a parent, but from their perspective you would still expect to be told if your child was doing that all the time, right? My Mum would've been fuming if she found out I was doing that. If the little girl hurts herself falling on the fence I bet the parents would be furious that it had been going on so long tbh...and while the kid isn't OP's responsibility, most normal people would go and speak to the parents I think. The whole thing is just bizarre.

Reactions: 9
Honestly imagine going round and explaining to the parents 'I knew your child was routinely climbing my fence and I didn't tell you so that you could e.g. talk to them about the dangers of climbing fences, intruding on people's property' like obviously IMO these parents are neglecting this child in some way, and I'm not a parent, but from their perspective you would still expect to be told if your child was doing that all the time, right? My Mum would've been fuming if she found out I was doing that. If the little girl hurts herself falling on the fence I bet the parents would be furious that it had been going on so long tbh...and while the kid isn't OP's responsibility, most normal people would go and speak to the parents I think. The whole thing is just bizarre.
yeah I agree, I cannot think of anyone I know who would let their young child go to the house of someone whose parents they didn't know. But the fact that all of this advice is being ignored and the issue is just going round in circles is just bizarre

Reactions: 5
@judgejohndeed I also find the fence issue bizarre. It's the perfect opportunity to go talk to the parents and sort everything out. Of course, if the parents were actually checking on their kid from time to time, then they'd already know she's been climbing the fence for going on a few weeks now...

Reactions: 3
When a very simple problem gets more and more complex as each post goes on. Then it's normally not true.
it was a simple problem that was easily sorted. but as soon as members posted the solution the problem got more involved with every post

Last edited:
Okay, so i have posted a couple of times and tried to be nice and not show my frustrations. However now this is getting beyond a joke.

I have no doubt the op is a lovely person and clearly doesnt like any type of confrontation, and doesnt want to make a fuss. I get that, i really do. But i do find it odd that they would rather build a bloody fence than go and talk to the parents!

However, i am a Child Protection Social Worker and let me tell you that just because the child said they had a nice dinner, it doesnt mean everything is okay!

You have had lots of sound advice on here but for some reason you refuse to listen, so im going to leave this thread after posting this. But i couldnt just ignore it. It is not normal behaviour for a child of 6 to be out of their house at these times, especially when the parents dont seem to know or care. You really should contact either your Local Authority or NSPCC and inform them of all this.

We are not allowed to just remove children with the click of a finger, you will also be able to report your concerns anonymously. However, if it is deemed serious enough then a social worker might visit the family, do an assessment of need and be able to give support and guidance to the parents.

Another point of view- you say the child came when your husband was home. Imagine if the child then went on to make accusations about your husband?

I am really sorry if i come across as a witch, i am not a witch at all. But i am starting to find this a bit odd now. Especially when loads of people have offered you sound advice. I dont know if you are scared or what, but something needs done.

Also, just to add ( i tried to edit my previous comment but it wouldnt let me).

You mention your own child a lot, and understandably you dont want him being upset etc.

However, your own child is getting upset because you say the child ignores your son! You need to put boundaries in place because you are essentially getting bossed around by a small child. You need to set an example to your child, and put boundaries in place.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
I wonder if the child has told their parents they have arranged to go to the op's house for tea ? The parents know where child is, they might be as reluctant to meet as op is.

I can also understand why op doesn't want to contact social services. For a start, nobody wants to be seen as being a grass. And it could be innocent, ss could be letting vulnerable children slip through the gaps while investigating a streetwise child who isn't shy in asking for things.

I must have lived in rough areas cos at my last 2 houses I would see rather small children playing out all day around our estate, their parents couldn't possibly know exactly where they were.
To be honest, any parent with a reasonable and responsible mind would want to meet any person their child has been spending a considerable amount of time with. It's called due-diligence. With all the lunatics in this world, any responsible parent would want to make sure their child is safe. It would be reckless and highly irresponsible of any parent to let their child wander in someone else's home / backyard without any sort of due diligence. OP should at least have their phone number in case of emergency.

I think there's more to the story and OP has not provided the whole background. I find it strange OP refuses to speak to these people who are her neighbors and the other set of parents not worrying about their children's comings and goings. Utterly bizarre.

Reactions: 8
You need to confront the parents and tell them what’s going on and you can’t be having it. I know they’re just kids but it would be annoying constantly babysitting people you don’t even know kids for free. Also, I know for a fact if something happens to them in your house or garden, the blame is gonna be placed on you.

Or call Social Services and tell them you have concerns about small children wandering the street in the dark, asking for food and spending the entire day in strangers houses without any concern or knowledge from the children’s parents in question, and that you are concerned they might catch the attention of a creep, seeming they’re just wandering into any strangers house with no hesitation in hopes of sweets and tv.

If none of this is any good advice to you, you need to just suck it up and put up with it as people have been telling you for nearly 2 weeks now to do this.

Reactions: 3
I love it when an innocent thread takes a turn. I would say in future, no one comes in the house and the kids play out if they want to play (assuming it is safe on the street where you live). Easy enough to put a stop to it. The very idea though of complaining a kid is eating you out of house and home and then the next post you offered a meal???

Reactions: 6
ITS ONE OF THOSE FAKE THREADS

Maybe the neighbour's dog is hungry too🤔

• Wow
Reactions: 7
If fake- Why would they make up something so ridiculous?

Like at least give us a bit of juicy gossip and a giggle like MD and her faux lesbianism or the one where the lady was having an affair in the utility closet with a co worker!

Like why would you lie about a poor child with no parents in sight begging for food and refusing to call social services even though there’s something massively wrong.

• Haha

Like at least give us a bit of juicy gossip and a giggle like MD and her faux lesbianism or the one where the lady was having an affair in the utility closet with a co worker!

Like why would you lie about a poor child with no parents in sight begging for food and refusing to call social services even though there’s something massively wrong.
Maybe it's OP is Roxanne Pallett :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 6

It got them 9 pages, not bad for a thread about a kid asking for food.

Reactions: 2
Has this been sorted yet or is this turning into the new Stormzy is 72 years old is 72 thread

• Haha
Reactions: 11
This thread is reminding of Levitt (?) a week or so ago who posted abt her husband having a gf but wanted all the benefits at home. Hundreds of replies later (like this one going around in circles) when ppl started to qn .. the op went in the space of a few hours from accepting situation to kicking him out only to take him back when he threatened to take the kids. Thread fin @ 1k posts

IMO these threads that go round & round are either false or op enjoys the attention.

Reactions: 8
I'm not saying this is the case at all, but I get the impression that some individuals have multiple profiles on Tattle. They just love to pile on the drama, and sit back and watch the fireworks.

I’m reading the OP’s other thread about their neighbours “aggressive” dog and things just aren’t adding up.

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.