Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

sheleg

VIP Member
I’m loving this beef but maybe take it elsewhere?

Mod edit: All, grow up and move on from this argument. You’re derailing this thread with your personal beefs - this ends now.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s the people who name their children after “obvious” movie and tv characters. There was a wave of Khaleesis and other GoT names. Katniss a few years ago too. There was a young woman on Reddit whose parents named her and her siblings after Harry Potter characters and she was raging.

Note to self: don’t name your kids after characters before the series finishes.
I have a friend who is Mexican but her mother named her Hiroko after an anime character (they have no Japanese ancestry, mum at the time was a young teenager.) She says it's annoying that no one can ever spell it or they try to write it in a more Mexican way (Xiroco)

I went to school with someone who named her daughter Terra, this was supposed to be Tara after a character from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. She apparently also likes that it means "earth" and doesn't mind it being a homonym for terror

AliceInWanderLost

VIP Member
I don't mind Jasper or Max - although not so keep on Maximus - but the others aren't names I would choose. I don't mind certain names that are more vintage in style, but names like Ernest and Eunice I don't like in general, and certainly can't imagine a little kid with those names!

boatofbubbles

Chatty Member
Honestly I hate my sons name (couldn't see him as anything else now). I was a young mum and dad named him. Heaven forbid anyone that shortened his name. ** death glare **

roarke

VIP Member
I think all names that instantly allude to a specific person should likely be avoided.

Pamela
Demi
Cher
Winona
Marilyn
Katniss
Etc

fluffycow172

i find it interesting when a family starts off naming their kids standard, fairly common names, and then as they have more children, the names become more wild and bizarre. it's odd, because the style changes so dramatically, you wouldn't think they were siblings! it seems to happen quite often in larger families, like as an example, there's a family on IG with kids called Daniel, Corban, Niko, Pheonix, Sia-Graces and Rebel-Rose - so the names have become more unusual, along with a sprinkling of hyphens!
Graces?? As in not one Grace, two Graces? Thats awful

sofipbn

No hate to you I just really don’t like some of them from people I know that I don’t like, one girl I know is the biggest Tory, Boris loving girl ever and she’s called… Emily, I’m sorry hahahah but every Emily I’ve ever came across has been stuck up. And “Poot” I have no fucking words. There are plenty of dainty girly names I like tho
oh don't worry!! my name's not on the list hahaha and yes, it happens to me too, sometimes some people ruin a nice name.