Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Sticks&Stones

I do not believe for one second Peter faked his own death. If it was the case, why make it appear murder and send an innocent man to jail?

I do not believe at this point Joanne had involvement but I've had doubts. Her whole demeanor was just so odd during the police interviews, as was the correspondence with 'Steph' shortly after Peter's disappearance arranging to meet later that year.

Reactions: 4

Blackbird

Not even the Aboriginal Trackers could find his body though ... and they are amazing at their craft.

I think he did fake his death. It would not be hard to hide out in Australia, work on a farm in the middle of nowhere doing all sorts, then skip to Asia where he'd never be found.

I'd be interested to know if he ever did take a life insurance policy out and if so, who the benefactor was.

Curlyone

Does anyone think he is still alive???
The two people who claim to have seen him in the weeks following his disappearance seem totally convinced. Then there is the part in the doc about Falconio and a life insurance policy, but to me that subplot felt a bit contrived.

The reason I'm so sceptical about this doc is not for a lack of doubt that the case would hold up today but for the simple fact that the guy leading this C4 investigation, Andrew Fraser, comes across as a bit desperate. He's a disgraced former lawyer, openly admits he lost everything after going to prison, lost his license to work, etc. Just feels a bit like he needed something to fall back on. Purely my own scepticism...

Veronica

Chatty Member
I don't think Brad did it but was involved and so was she!!! There is so much more to it but we will never know!! I think he's alive!!

Reactions: 3

Curlyone

Just finished episode three. A lot of what I've seen so far seems to be a very targeted and sensationalised attempt to discredit JL. If it wasn't so biased I might give it some thought, but as it quite clearly has an agenda I'll take it all with a pinch of salt. Will be interested to hear other opinions!

FreakyFriday

I got the impression its very biased against Lees however i do feel she isnt a reliable witness at all. There is a lot about it that doesnt add up, if shes guilty then why would she do it in the middle of nowhere relying on strangers to pick her up? The outback is deadly. Then again why were there no signs of anyone but her? The area is so glat i find it difficult to understand how she couldve hid from someone.
A part of me is wondering whether they got into something dodgy and someone hit Peter and took him away and left her out there as punishment or something and warned her not to tell.

This is so interesting! I've always wondered "Why though?! What did she stand to gain??". Very interesting theory pal!

MrsJones83

VIP Member
I've finally finished watching this (whoever said it could have been covered in 90 mins was dead right!) but I am SO on the fence. I remember the case well as I'd done the same trip only a couple of years before and I've always thought it was a strange case but that they'd got the right man in the end. However, now a huge part of me thinks that Murdoch is was used as a scape goat. There are just so many discrepancies in the evidence against him from the DNA to the motive to the lack of evidence at the scene. Joanne Lees is also a strange fish - as I said earlier no-one knows how someone is going to react in the aftermath of an event like that but there is something very off about her. She's very cold, controlled, seemed bored by the whole process, seemed deliberately evasive, lied on oath, walked into court smiling at all the press. But but but what possible motive could she have had for killing him or being involved in his death? To be with Steph/Nick? Seems a bit extreme. And there was no evidence of her and Peter being anything other that occasional weed smokers (as lots of back packers are) so I don't think there's a drug angle. As I say, I'm completely perplexed!
I’ve just finished watching them too. I am also perplexed. She seemed like an actress playing a character, it didn’t feel like she was genuine? I think she knows more than she’s let on, but I don’t know if she did it? I think Murdoch must have been involved somehow but the evidence doesn’t seem strong enough.

I’m also convinced the lorry driver had something to do with it, why would he tell her to make sure she’s got a story straight (I’m positive I heard him say that)? If they were telling the truth, they wouldn’t need to get their story straight. He just seemed a strange character.

Reactions: 2

Bytheseaside

I believe Joanne Lees. I read a few books on this murder years ago. Joannes book and some by detectives. The truckers that found her and people in the local pub/truck spot where they took her to while waiting for the police said they’d never seen anyone in such a state and so frightened before.

• Sad

PinkFigs

VIP Member
I have always found this case fascinating. I remember watching a documentary about it a few years ago. I’m really on the fence about what actually happened. I’m interested to see what else comes out in the episodes during the week.

Came for the comments

Chatty Member
I have always found this case fascinating. I remember watching a documentary about it a few years ago. I’m really on the fence about what actually happened. I’m interested to see what else comes out in the episodes during the week.
All of the episodes are available now on 4 on demand 👀

Ohflogoff

VIP Member
I do not believe for one second Peter faked his own death. If it was the case, why make it appear murder and send an innocent man to jail?

I do not believe at this point Joanne had involvement but I've had doubts. Her whole demeanor was just so odd during the police interviews, as was the correspondence with 'Steph' shortly after Peter's disappearance arranging to meet later that year.
I think because they didn’t want NT to be seen as a dangerous place with a murderer on the loose.

Dizzy

VIP Member
I've finally finished watching this (whoever said it could have been covered in 90 mins was dead right!) but I am SO on the fence. I remember the case well as I'd done the same trip only a couple of years before and I've always thought it was a strange case but that they'd got the right man in the end. However, now a huge part of me thinks that Murdoch is was used as a scape goat. There are just so many discrepancies in the evidence against him from the DNA to the motive to the lack of evidence at the scene. Joanne Lees is also a strange fish - as I said earlier no-one knows how someone is going to react in the aftermath of an event like that but there is something very off about her. She's very cold, controlled, seemed bored by the whole process, seemed deliberately evasive, lied on oath, walked into court smiling at all the press. But but but what possible motive could she have had for killing him or being involved in his death? To be with Steph/Nick? Seems a bit extreme. And there was no evidence of her and Peter being anything other that occasional weed smokers (as lots of back packers are) so I don't think there's a drug angle. As I say, I'm completely perplexed!

Greencatfysh

VIP Member
Just watched this all tonight. I’m on the fence but I was confused about the timeline - the truck driver said he was driving and saw the red car driving away, then she burst out of the bush onto the road. Didn’t they say at the beginning that she waited in the bush for hours and then “murdoch” gave up and left? So did she just happen to burst out of the bush at the time the first lorry going past was there to get her? Sorry if I’ve missed something..

Reactions: 1

Reverend

VIP Member
I agree. As for whether Murdoch was guilty I'm still unsure, but the behaviour of the police was certainly suspicious at times (the officer taking the cable handcuffs into the jail for seemingly no reason).

I don't think Lees was involved but her behaviour was certainly strange on several occasions.
There are some very odd people in the police. 99.9% are honest and upright, but there are a few who have engaged in criminal activity like domestic violence, stalking (and I've had known people who have partner who are police and been in that situation) and/or do weird things. I hope that that wasn't in this case.

As for Joanne Lees, the brain is a very sensitive piece of equipment. The fact that she has never married and lives a very private life may be an effect on what happened to her.

Ohflogoff

VIP Member
Aye I believe there are so many unanswered questions. I remember when the case came out, what was it 20 odd years ago now and remember thinking there was something that didn’t seem right about it. I’m on episode two at the moment and can’t believe some of the evidence that wasn’t presented such as the car and jelly man. Interested to see everyone’s thoughts On it. There’s something about the wee lassy I’m not sure on her.
But it led me to wonder why that fella was only telling his mates at the pub and not the police