Mr Bates vs The Post Office - itv

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just started watching it this evening (will catch read the whole thread later). Im up to the part where he sees them at fujistu fudging the figures. Why were they doing this? 🫨🫨

This is all so very upsetting.
I remember this happening.
so many lives destroyed, yet those at the top sit back comfortably knowing the truth.

Dishonest.
Lack of morals.
the whole thing makes my blood boil.

Both those at the post office and Fujitsu need to be held accountable.

Money will help compensate, but truly nothing will restore the lives of those affected.

It’s disgusting….. 😡

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
Big IT companies win big IT contracts, and get put on Government IT expert panels, that shouldn't come as a shock or outrage...

Ed Davey refusing to apologies 10 times, hasn't tweeted since Dec 31st (day before ep 1 aired) and not been seen in Westminster since. Humza Yusef blaming the UK government for only just acting, when Scotland's prosecutions were administered by the Crown Office which he controlled as Justice Minister only a few years ago. Kier Starmer with his own questions to answer as head of DPP. The Conservative and Labour administrations of the last 20-odd years. And then all the layers of Civil Service and management staff between both Government(s) and the Post Office. All with serious questions to answer about their own culpability or obliviousness to the truth.

My fear is there's so much blame to go round that very little of it actually will stick long and hard enough to have much effect.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Big IT companies win big IT contracts, and get put on Government IT expert panels, that shouldn't come as a shock or outrage...

Ed Davey refusing to apologies 10 times, hasn't tweeted since Dec 31st (day before ep 1 aired) and not been seen in Westminster since. Humza Yusef blaming the UK government for only just acting, when Scotland's prosecutions were administered by the Crown Office which he controlled as Justice Minister only a few years ago. Kier Starmer with his own questions to answer as head of DPP. The Conservative and Labour administrations of the last 20-odd years. And then all the layers of Civil Service and management staff between both Government(s) and the Post Office. All with serious questions to answer about their own culpability or obliviousness to the truth.

My fear is there's so much blame to go round that very little of it actually will stick long and hard enough to have much effect.
All of this. My FIL is one of the postmasters affected. It ruined their lives and he died a few years ago, still a convicted criminal (his conviction was quashed) . The biggest fear of those involved is that no one will be brought to account for any of this and they’ll all just walk away. It has so much momentum now but this has been going on for years and it’s a convenient vote winner in an election year. We doubt we’ll ever see true justice. And all the promises of compensation are empty ones, 2.5 years since his conviction was quashed and nothing has been forthcoming. It’s all a horrible mess and exhausting, especially as none of them are getting any younger

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 17

Oh.

About time they admitted their faults. But only offering £75k to the post masters seems very stingy.

Reactions: 3
"Over-promoted and dim"

Still waiting for the Church of England to distance themselves from this vile woman.

1705302621697.png

• Sick
  • Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 8
Oh that has made me howl (none of this is funny I do understand). So often thought about Executive leadership, so seldom said.

Back in the news, with a load of tit compensation offers having been sent out

Also a Fujitsu exec has apologised, however there doesn't appear to be money forthcoming from them

Soon ITV will need to make an additional episode detailing how the farce is still ongoing.

I was battling with getting a document scanner working yesterday. It's marketed as "Scansnap" brand but it's really a Fujitsu product, and the support website / software is all in the Fujitsu name. The software is absolutely awful. Really bad for a current day product.

Reactions: 5

so they were letting large customers self-declare what they were inserting into the postal system so of course chancers took advantage of ths. RM either never bothered to do spot checks or they made it obvious which days they would be doing them?

wonder how many others were regularly fiddling things in this way?

it's Royal Mail this time rather than Post Office Counters that are responsible for the Horizon scandal but both organisations are rooted in the same history and I wouldn't be surprised if executives frequently switch jobs between the two.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
Had this recorded on sky waiting for a decent amount of time to sit and properly watch and digest it. I'm just starting episode 3.

How the people behind the post office and fujitsu can live with themselves I will never ever know. Especially Ms Vennells, the'woman of God' as she allegedly is.

They knew what was going on and didn't want to admit to anything going wrong. How can what happened to the union bloke (him witnessing what he did and then the short fall in his own business under his wife's care whilst he was doing union stuff) be anything other than criminal fraud? It's no stretch to think that the people who signed him in and showed him the changes they could make on the live system did the same to keep him quiet?

Proving it is another matter obviously. They were really stupid trying to delete his attendance at the fujitsu headquarters. 🤦🏻‍♀️

I can't believe they also have the power to push their own prosecutions through and don't need to involve outside agencies, not even the police! No wonder they could keep it hush hush.

20 years on and still nothing has really changed.... 🤦🏻‍♀️Still not sorted or compensated. They need to face criminal charges for what they've done!

Reactions: 6
It is all beyond belief, if you get chance then watch the live enquiry, it’s fascinating. Was so emotional seeing justice Wyn at the end of Alan Bates evidence, like he really understood the emotion in the room, he really gets it. Looking forward to Paula the witch under oath, bet she’s panicking, good.

Reactions: 4
I still find it incredible that this happened:
Nobody at the PO queried anything with IT;
Horizon staff could and did change stats;
PO staff were not believed;
Only internal investigations took place;
Neither the police nor solicitors were involved;
Staff were expected to make up deficits;
So many people were involved;
Top PO staff used the "deficit payments" to give themselves huge bonuses;
Nobody high up thought anything was wrong;
Staff lost their homes and savings;
Some took their lives;
Until Alan Bates decided to do something about it, things just plodded along;
This went in for far too long.

I feel that more top PO directors and staff need interviewing in the enquiry to establish how and why this was allowed to happen, and why it wasn't stopped. It all sounds fishy to me as if someone at the PO was working with Horizon, allowing this to continue.

• Heart
Reactions: 4