Mr Bates vs The Post Office - itv

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Could someone please make a thread about the Post Office scandal documentary that's currently being shown on ITV.
---
I've now watched all episodes and it's really opened my eyes as to how many corrupt people were involved at Fujitsu Horizon. There was a whole team logging in as postmasters and changing the figures.

555 post masters suffered beyond belief, four taking their own lives and others having their livelihoods and reputation damaged. I feel so sorry for them, but I can't understand why The Post Office didn't smell a rat and investigate the IT systems as soon as discrepancies and complaints started arriving from their post masters.

Holding internal investigations, I feel, contributed towards the prolonged situation. I am now pleased that the truth (albeit I think only part) is known and individuals are being compensated. However, this must never be allowed to happen anywhere again.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
No I haven't. I've occasionally read articles in the paper or heard the news. But when everything's put together in a four part series, I was shocked at misunderstandings, pointing the blame at the wrong people, and just how many lives were devastated.

How do I find BBC sounds to listen to the Podcast please. I've never listened to one before, bit of a dinosaur really. 🙄

Reactions: 10
The pain and worry the whole debacle caused is horrendous for those poor innocent people, and Mr Bates says that there is more to come out. I have signed a petition to strip Paula V of her CBE. I worked for a company that employed Fujitsu to handle their IT systems and they were rubbish.

Reactions: 18
No I haven't. I've occasionally read articles in the paper or heard the news. But when everything's put together in a four part series, I was shocked at misunderstandings, pointing the blame at the wrong people, and just how many lives were devastated.

How do I find BBC sounds to listen to the Podcast please. I've never listened to one before, bit of a dinosaur really. 🙄
The podcast is very good.
I have the BBC Sounds app downloaded - some excellent programmes on there if you search. But you can also just Google it.

The programme is here -

The TV programme is so good too. I would say I'm enjoying it but it is so sad and frustrating. The amount of lies that were told is a disgrace

Reactions: 8
There’s a Private Eye long read read (no subscription needed) on this. It’s staggering. Truly.

I’m not sure I can watch this for how furious it’ll make me.

We live in a city in the West Country and it happened to a lady we know who ran one of our 2 local post offices. She was charged I think , was advised to plead guilty , didn’t go to jail but lost her business and home and reputation

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 20
One of the journalists who has been very involved with the whole story has a whole website devoted to it

Reactions: 12
Their loyalty to the extremely poor supplier decision (Fujitsu) makes my ears ring. Pure hubris.

I’ve signed the petition. That she has ann honour also makes my ears ring.

I’ve only watched 2 episodes so far and my blood is boiling. How could anyone think that suddenly post masters around the country, who had worked for the PO for years, were suddenly stealing thousands of pounds. The lives it ruined. It’s appalling

• Heart
Reactions: 26
Their loyalty to the extremely poor supplier decision (Fujitsu) makes my ears ring. Pure hubris.

I’ve signed the petition. That she has ann honour also makes my ears ring.

Can you provide the link to the petition please @Stillwater and I'll sign it too. Fujitsu need taking to court over this, and every member who worked in the team must be interviewed. How did they stay quiet knowing the damage and humiliation they were causing to so many people.

I've just listened to a podcast with Nick, a journalist (didn't catch his surname), and he mentions that 2024 is going to be big with this. It all started in 2019 so many people have been suffering and fighting for compensation, to clear their name, and to search for the truth for half a century now. Why has it been allowed to carry on for so long. Why were so many people not listened to?

I'm on board to support them wherever I can.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
interesting that adam crozier left the post office to become chief exec of itv, and hasn't been mentioned at all ...

• Wow
I’ve only watched 2 episodes so far and my blood is boiling. How could anyone think that suddenly post masters around the country, who had worked for the PO for years, were suddenly stealing thousands of pounds. The lives it ruined. It’s appalling
How on Earth did they think ao many postmasters started cheating all at the same time.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
How on Earth did they think ao many postmasters started cheating all at the same time.
My understanding is that they assumed it had been going on for years and it was only due to the computer system that they were finally catching people. Still seems pretty unbelievable to me.

I find it upsetting that the majority of the SPM are still struggling financially and that Paula Vennells retired on a massive pension. The money that many paid in ended up going towards post office profits and she got a CBE for making post office profitable!! And still has it.

• Angry
Reactions: 22
I've signed
My understanding is that they assumed it had been going on for years and it was only due to the computer system that they were finally catching people. Still seems pretty unbelievable to me.

I find it upsetting that the majority of the SPM are still struggling financially and that Paula Vennells retired on a massive pension. The money that many paid in ended up going towards post office profits and she got a CBE for making post office profitable!! And still has it
I have signed the petition to get her strpped of her CBE.

• Heart
There's two separate petitions working to strip her of her CBE.

The internet's ablaze with this now. My paper mentioned Adam Crozier who used to run the post office during the start of this scandal, then went on to become CEO of ITV, but wasn't mentioned during any of the four episodes - as said earlier by @knivesnflowers. News channels are also picking up traction about it too.

Reactions: 8
The drama was brilliant. I felt rage and upset throughout it all. Sadly didn’t surprise me with the internal corruption. It’s the same in the NHS.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
interesting that adam crozier left the post office to become chief exec of itv, and hasn't been mentioned at all ...
Yes I had read on popbitch that part would be glossed over. Off to sign this strip her of cbe petition. Wonder if she’ll make any kind of statement with this new spotlight on her? She looks a right hard faced cow

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Can you provide the link to the petition please @Stillwater and I'll sign it too. Fujitsu need taking to court over this, and every member who worked in the team must be interviewed. How did they stay quiet knowing the damage and humiliation they were causing to so many people.

I've just listened to a podcast with Nick, a journalist (didn't catch his surname), and he mentions that 2024 is going to be big with this. It all started in 2019 so many people have been suffering and fighting for compensation, to clear their name, and to search for the truth for half a century now. Why has it been allowed to carry on for so long. Why were so many people not listened to?

I'm on board to support them wherever I can.

Google Paula Vennells petition
And 2 come up.

One had 1000 signatures at the start of this week, it has been going for 3 years. It now has over 21000 signatures!!

• Heart
Reactions: 6