Mr Bates vs The Post Office - itv

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I still think it’s crazy how they didn’t assume there was an IT fault when there were so many cases of apparent ‘theft’. Did they honestly think it was more likely that the system was bulletproof?

I’ve worked with IT systems before (not for the Post Office) and I’m confident we’d have assumed there was a bug that needed investigating if we were made aware of large volumes of money supposedly being lost.

Reactions: 11
Have the post office or/and IT system provider deliberately stolen all of that money or are we to believe they truly thought the sub post masters stole it?

Discussions by MPs on whether gov should get involved with reversing decisions made by courts? YES! THEY SHOULD! with rare cases such as this and thereafter on a case by case basis. Imo any of these politicians saying no are dodgy and possibly implicated.

600,000 for each victim and from gov (taxpayer) NO! 1 million each AND from the real criminals whether that be post office/ IT provider.
---
And he's getting a knighthood too.
Their honours demean those given to worthy people.
Can't stand the bleep, something very dodgy about him and I don't trust the monarchy not protect him from whatever sordid things he's done like they did with saville. Likely we'll find out when he's dead too 😖

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Who granted the contract after the disastrous pilot 4 years before roll out,? Someone has been taking backhanders I think.
We will never get the full story. A sacrificial lamb if lucky. But in the shadows lies corruption.

• Sad
Reactions: 6
Have the post office or/and IT system provider deliberately stolen all of that money or are we to believe they truly thought the sub post masters stole it?
That’s what I’m wondering too. It seems too awful to think that they deliberately plotted to steal the money and used the sub-postmasters to do it, and let them take the fall, but I wouldn’t be surprised at this point. I assume it was a genuinely faulty system, but yes, why would they assume that hundreds of sub-postmasters were suddenly stealing huge sums of money?! Especially since it only started with the Horizon system and nothing dodgy happened when they used paper and pen.

So either they somehow genuinely thought hundreds of crimes were being committed all of a sudden and just ignored all evidence to the contrary, or they decided to throw them under the bus when they realised they could increase their profits by prosecuting them. I reckon it’s a bit of both. Probably started off thinking crimes were being committed and didn’t make the link to Horizon or use much critical thinking, then once they started mounting up they needed to save their reputation and just kept going and collected the money.

I really want to know what they knew/believed and when, because a child could figure out something was very wrong and it went on for years.

Reactions: 4
This has made the news in Canada.

Sadly it happens all the time that rich organisations or individuals ruin other people, irrelevant of if they're right or wrong. But the big difference here is they screwed over a huge number of people on the same thing so eventually it caught up with the post office.

It seems to have taken being the most popular TV show in the UK to affect some change even though the facts had already been in the national press. That is depressing.

All these other cases involving one or a few people that get fucked over by something or someone with deep pockets have next to no chance of getting retribution. They'll never enter the public consciousness, but it must happen every day. A very flawed system

Well done ITV. They really have turned these people’s fate around. The media should be on the working man’s side. We need them to. I’m so pleased these Post Masters finally get some compensation and justice.

I think it’s a repeat from last year and I missed it but there was a documentary about the scandal on bbc one tonight if anyone’s interested

Private Eye's previously published detailed report into the whole saga (they've been reporting on it for years) can be viewed on their web site

They also talk about it in this week's Private Eye podcast.

I suspect, since they've been covering it for years, they will have detailed coverage in the next issue due out next week.

Reactions: 4

I agree that Alan Bates needs a medal for his efforts over the years so am posting this petition to help him achieve recognition.

Reactions: 2

I agree that Alan Bates needs a medal for his efforts over the years so am posting this petition to help him achieve recognition.
Sod the medal, give him a knighthood and then elevate him to the Lords so that he can keep an eye on these bastards from within. I mean they did that with Doreen Lawrence? He's done a lot more good for others than "Sir" Ed Davey for example - another one that appears to be running and hiding right now.

• Heart
I am following what’s being said in the enquiry this morning ( on the bbc). How can this man Stephen Bradshaw claim to have zero knowledge of a problem in the system despite being part of the Horizon team ( and employed in a number of roles within the team) at the time it was brought in .

The amount of arse covering in this whole debarcle is astounding and quite frankly disgusting.

Reactions: 10
I am following what’s being said in the enquiry this morning ( on the bbc). How can this man Stephen Bradshaw claim to have zero knowledge of a problem in the system despite being part of the Horizon team ( and employed in a number of roles within the team) at the time it was brought in .

The amount of arse covering in this whole debarcle is astounding and quite frankly disgusting.
He’s absolutely covering his arse and throwing anyone he can under the bus. It’s embarrassing to watch.

Where are you watching it on the BBC? Thanks.

Reactions: 1
Sod the medal, give him a knighthood and then elevate him to the Lords so that he can keep an eye on these bastards from within. I mean they did that with Doreen Lawrence? He's done a lot more good for others than "Sir" Ed Davey for example - another one that appears to be running and hiding right now.
I agree.
Anything less than that is not enough.
Yep.
Get him in the Lords.

Reactions: 5
For anyone wanting to watch the enquiry when it’s not on the bbc, it has its own YouTube channel. It’s not always as gripping as today but you can see the lawyers forensically questioning what happened and trying to get to grips with it.

Reactions: 3